Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Caught yesterday's stage on highlights. The GC race is dead, people launching half hearted attacks in the last 3km and then waiting to sprint for bonus seconds is pathetic. What happened to stages like this!! As people have pointed out sky have strangled this tdf yet again and that's without thomas. Sky could literally have had 1-2-3 in the GC if they'd tried for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmsERu8HxS4

If it wasn't for barguil yesterday would have been completely forgettable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
Money doping is the biggest issue in the TdF. Sky give no shits for the other races really and every year throw all the money at it.

They're going to 8 man teams next year, no? That gonna make it better or worse?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lenin Riefenstahl posted:

Money doping is the biggest issue in the TdF. Sky give no shits for the other races really and every year throw all the money at it.

They're going to 8 man teams next year, no? That gonna make it better or worse?

Sky effectively had 8 men for this tour. It won't make a difference.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

This is why the stage is this long then

e: the plane interlude I mean. It is rather good tbf

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 21, 2017

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
idgaf about armies and everything to do with the army, can someone please get these dumb planes away from the screen

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

(I enjoyed the pretty planes)

I don't know what they can do really about Sky.

Capping team sizes will hurt everyone and a lots of guys lose their biggest payday of the year, and budget caps in any sport with sponsors and equipment suppliers are impossible to police

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skarsnik posted:

(I enjoyed the pretty planes)

I don't know what they can do really about Sky.

I say we kill them all op

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Ok dumb question time. Something I never thought about until this years race: why do the guys leading the peloton spend so much time on a pull on the flats? I'm watching Kwiatkajskeuojajwski out in front for like the last 10 minutes here.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

Dangerllama posted:

Ok dumb question time. Something I never thought about until this years race: why do the guys leading the peloton spend so much time on a pull on the flats? I'm watching Kwiatkajskeuojajwski out in front for like the last 10 minutes here.

For a lot of the guys they're really good TT riders and this is just training. See: Tony Martin or Kiriyenka. I'm sad that this is Kwiatkowski's life now for 75% of the season. He's a proper attacking bike racer and Sky just use him as another engine in the train. Then again he probably has a money vault like Scrooge McDuck at this point so I'm sure he's not suffering. Throwing off Oakleys during the race like they're nothing...

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Dangerllama posted:

Traditionally the team protecting the yellow jersey controls the race so will have their guys on the front making sure a break doesn't go out too far, toward the end of a stag like this is when the sprinting teams will come forward to start really putting the hammer down. If Tony Martin is on the front it's because he just likes hurting people

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Traditionally the team protecting the yellow jersey controls the race so will have their guys on the front making sure a break doesn't go out too far, toward the end of a stag like this is when the sprinting teams will come forward to start really putting the hammer down. If Tony Martin is on the front it's because he just likes hurting people

I understand the team concepts/strategy. I was asking more specifically about drafting within the team driving the pace. The individuals there take longer pulls (before rotating with a teammate) than I would have expected

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 21, 2017

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

VacaGrande posted:

For a lot of the guys they're really good TT riders and this is just training. See: Tony Martin or Kiriyenka. I'm sad that this is Kwiatkowski's life now for 75% of the season. He's a proper attacking bike racer and Sky just use him as another engine in the train. Then again he probably has a money vault like Scrooge McDuck at this point so I'm sure he's not suffering. Throwing off Oakleys during the race like they're nothing...

Kwiatkowski had his best spring classics campaign this year, so there's that too.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

HappyCamperGL posted:

Kwiatkowski had his best spring classics campaign this year, so there's that too.

He feels like an attack dog straining at the end of a leash doing poo poo like this though. It's like putting GvA into a train for Richie Porte (lol remember him?).

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

VacaGrande posted:

There's no way be bought those glasses dude. There's probably a box of dozens of pairs in the bus

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The computer has probably analysed the most effective way to use the train boys based on their strength throughout the day, overall endurance potential and recovery rate when in the draft.

If it hasn't then they're just not loving trying.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Today is so loving dull so far

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

VacaGrande posted:

He feels like an attack dog straining at the end of a leash doing poo poo like this though. It's like putting GvA into a train for Richie Porte (lol remember him?).

GvA was doing exactly this for Porte earlier in this very Tour though?

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

vikingstrike posted:

There's no way be bought those glasses dude. There's probably a box of dozens of pairs in the bus

Was not meant literally. I want to see him and GvA fighting for a stage, not leading their respective leaders' trains.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

So huge boring stage with a massive pile up at the end?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Or barely anyone's gonna contest it.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Can't see Eddie BH screwing this up (he will definitely screw it up).

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Apparently the only one to read the roadbook and go the right way over the roundabout.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I'll be damned

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Good for him, he deserved one.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
First rider with braces to win a tour stage?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Eddy the big boss. He deserved that one after 64 second and third places this year.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ola posted:

I have divined some energy gel and seen that today is Edvald's day.

Energy gel never lies. :norway:

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
I don't see a way to make GC cycling in the TDF competitive without some sort of salary cap, which is of course completely impossible with the trade team structure. I'm not sure Froome was even the strongest rider in this race, but when you can put guys like Kwiatowksi and Landa and Thomas on the front for 75-80% of the hardest climbs, and then go out and buy their replacements when they go for their own ambitions (Porte), its hard to compete.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
It's fun when seemingly everyone out there is happy about the stage winner (see also Warbasse at Suisse).

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

According to the Dimension Data team captain, they had planned that roundabout well. They couldn't plan for almost everyone else missing it though.

https://twitter.com/inrng/status/888425415840329728

Maybe 35 m gain in one fell swoop?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

VacaGrande posted:

Was not meant literally. I want to see him and GvA fighting for a stage, not leading their respective leaders' trains.

This is why classics races are cool and good and should never go away

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
van Avermaet has contested a bunch of stages this year. I don't remember Kwiat' going anything of note until he had to get off his bike and have a rest yesterday.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

paddyboat posted:

van Avermaet has contested a bunch of stages this year. I don't remember Kwiat' going anything of note until he had to get off his bike and have a rest yesterday.

He's been in the top 10 3 times this tour, and I had honestly forgotten it had been that much. Greipel has had a better tour and has been forgettable too

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Really enjoyed tour de pharmacy for what it's worth but I also watch wrasslin

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
the little surge after the roundabout bit :tetten:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hPMnJtAE0g

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Norwegian version: https://streamable.com/h2ru5

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
wtf is going on in La Course today?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Lizzie done hosed up

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

That stadium finish owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
So what gearing are the men going to use for this 12% average 120m climb? 56/42x11-30t? 11-32t even.