Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Love that shot of Valgren coming across the line and making a "oh holy poo poo" expression when he sees the gantry

he went up to pedersen and gave him a nice smack as congratulations lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Wasn't it Valgren who kept up the pace just before Pedersen attacked from the Peloton? Great team effort.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
God, he's a child. I didn't realise he was still 23.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

dennis has been sacked by bahrain-merida. lol.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

HappyCamperGL posted:

dennis has been sacked by bahrain-merida. lol.

Wow, that was quick lol

e: oh wow, they already fired him on September 13th. Guess now we know why he didn't give a single poo poo

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I thought he'd already 'signed' with CCC as he wanted to be back on BMC bikes?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
CCC ride Giant don’t they? He’d have to go to Dimension Data to get BMC

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Are the days where people would just ride other brands of bikes with different logos painted on over? Remembering the famous Trek-branded Litespeeds from the 90s

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

peanut- posted:

CCC ride Giant don’t they? He’d have to go to Dimension Data to get BMC

This, but he might actually have the pull to bring BMC with him to a team like CCC.

I’m trying to look at which teams are the best for for him and besides CCC, there’s only 3 others I can think of.

Mitchelton-Scott - They’re Aussie and the Plasma is pretty fast. They use Lightweight discs and Scott TT helmets.
Trek-Segafredo - The current Speed Concept is incredibly fast and a new one should be out next year. Also they use unbranded Giro Aeroheads and Zipp or Lightweight discs. A new Bontrager TT lid might arrive with the new Speed Concept.
INEOS - The Bolide is fast and the team is willing to experiment with equipment (Lightweights in the TdF, Princeton in training and worlds.)

Trek-Segafredo seems quite likely to me if corporate want to advertise their new TT hardware. They’re looking to be on the up-and-up like Jumbo-Visma with their latest signings. They have Mads for another year, Quinn Simmons, Tiberi, the Nibalis, etc. They might even be good at TTTs with such a roster.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
aren't Cervelo's TT bikes reputed to be good? any chance Sunweb is a possibility? they need to make some signings, too.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He could dis everyone and say "I'm going to go ride track bikes in Tokyo, see you all in 2021".

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Feels Villeneuve posted:

aren't Cervelo's TT bikes reputed to be good? any chance Sunweb is a possibility? they need to make some signings, too.

Yeah the P5 is real good. They're an option as well.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Could he not just stop being such a big baby and ride a bike fast :thunk:

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Skarsnik posted:

Could he not just stop being such a big baby and ride a bike fast :thunk:

We're talking about bike racers here. The very very best we can hope for is that he rides a bike fast while also being a big baby.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Quite enjoying that there are more articles talking about how bad Belgium was than talking about the winner yesterday.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Assassination of Philip Gilbert by the Coward Greg van Avermaet

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Title for the new thread (someone maek pls)

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The Assassination of Philip Gilbert by the Coward Greg van Avermaet

re Dennis:
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bahrain-merida-terminate-rohan-dennis-contract-with-immediate-effect/

This has it that he had an offer from CCC but he felt it was too low. Probably going to be even lower now he's a free agent

Loving Africa Chaps fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Sep 30, 2019

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

re Dennis:
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bahrain-merida-terminate-rohan-dennis-contract-with-immediate-effect/

This has it that he had an offer from CCC but he felt it was too low. Probably going to be even lower now he's a free agent

That’s not usually how free agency works though. In many sports you’re not really permitted to make competing offers to players under contract. And once they hit free agency, actual bidding is enabled vs the expectation that the contract gets extended. In the time since CCC allegedly made an offer under the table, RD has demonstrated that he is still the best TTer in the world tour...and by a lot apparently. His stock has gone up. BMC, Shimano/Pro, Kask and Santini all gladly used him to promote their wares.

He’ll probably sign within a week unless he is working on getting BMC to jump ship to CCC.

So CCC, Ineos, Trek-Segafredo, Mitchelton-Scott, Sunweb all some sense on different levels.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

re Dennis:

I'll do a new thread later

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Michael Valgren staking his claim for Goon Favourite by talking about making GBS threads and also making GBS threads on the UCI

cyclingnews.com posted:

"I saw on the screen that he'd won, and I was, like, 'gently caress – that was incredible,'" said Valgren. "Mads is loving fast actually.

"It was so cold – one of the worst days on my bike," he continued of the conditions the riders had to endure. "I had a really poo poo day in the beginning, to be honest. After 120km, before we got to the circuits, I stopped to take a dump, actually, but then punctured when I was on my way back.

"I was, like, 'poo poo – can I get paced to come back with the new UCI rules, whatever they are?'" he said, referring to the illegal-but-common practice of using the convoy of team cars to get back into the peloton – a practice that saw the initial winner of the under-23 men's road race on Friday, Nils Eekhoff, disqualified for sheltering behind his team car for too long after a crash.

"But, yeah, I got back in the middle of the first lap, so after that I was just trying to stay near the front and keep warm."

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Was there any word on what happened to Daniel Martinez? He was on the original bridge attempt of Trentin and VDP and disappeared almost instantly halfway through the bridge attempt- commentary assumed he bonked but he disappeared so quickly and around a corner that I thought he might have actually fallen without the cameras watching.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 30, 2019

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

re Dennis:

This is good but why would we waste the new thread talking about a bunch of has-beens. New thread is all about Quinn and Remco's excellent adventures.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Mathieuuuu I forgive you :qq:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
New thread is here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3900029

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
It's UCI sanctioned, pal.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Delete.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TobinHatesYou posted:

I look forward to this every year.

Lol

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Didn’t know that Marion Rousse broke up with Tony Gallopin and is now dating Julian Alaphilippe. Enjoy this hilariously machine translated article:

https://www.web24.news/u/2020/04/marion-rousse-in-turn-talks-about-her-relationship-with-julian-alaphilippe.html

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

EDIT: Nevermind.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 5, 2020

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Have they started discussing the prospect of early season races yet?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goatface posted:

Have they started discussing the prospect of early season races yet?

With the UK virus rampaging across Europe now I think they're hoping to see what the Vaccine rollout does.

I expect the schedule to remain as normal for Europe, but The Tour Down Under Im not sure about.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
TDU is off and there is a smaller national level race in its place.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was mainly thinking about the earliest bits of the European calendar. Not the UAE tour, I don't care about that, but March is getting closer and vaccine rollout isn't going to be instant. Would be a shitter to lose things, but I don't know if anyone would want to risk it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Where's Hirschi off to then?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Rumor earlier today was Jumbo Visma, but I think that was unsubstantiated rumor even by Twitter standards

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Hirschi on the jumbo health and fitness plan could be insane

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Hes signed for UAE which makes....not much sense but ok.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Money to burn over there.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
This is the old thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!