Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
I missed this yesterday:

That could've ended a lot worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

I'll be able to tell my grandkids the Tour went past our chippy! :unsmith:

Clugg
Apr 21, 2005

IndustrialApe posted:

I missed this yesterday:

Phil and Paul missed it too. I watched it live and I thought it looked crazy, but the commentators didn't mention it until a while later when they replayed it. I guess they weren't watching the same footage?

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

IndustrialApe posted:

I missed this yesterday:

How to take out a fucker.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Plenty of mentions in Cambridge, loads of people out today

Yeah, sorry - I meant outside of the areas the stages went through don't have much menion. I'm in South Derbyshire and there's basically nothing. I'm sure Scotland, Wales, Cumbria and other places will want to get future stages, supposedly there was £4mil spent and they're looking to make £100mil from all the coverage. I watched a bunch of the Look North coverage and one ice cream shop along the route apparently sold a year's worth of ice cream in one day! So the local impact is pretty huge.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Yeah was a massive day for a lot of businesses yesterday. For example from where we stood on the Sunday to the walk back to the car, we passed 3 pubs, everyone of them was well beyond heaving with 100+ people outside; could well imagine every pub anywhere near the route had there busiest day ever.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They're letting them pull away again.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

They should not have any trouble pulling them back in again.

Andy Schleck down

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Have spectator photographers been this big of an issue in previous tours?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Anachronist posted:

Do you know if you're able to use airplay with it?

Seems so. Got an alert this morning when I turned it on that they'd fixed some issues with airplay.

Mr.Nice posted:

I found Valverde was more disapointing than Contador yesterday, he was one of the favourite of the stage and didn't really try to win it.

Don't think you can really be disappointed in anyone that was in the 2 second group. They made the selection.

quote:

For the strong cobbles riders we got :

Lots of good options. Should be a great race to watch unfold.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

TraderStav posted:

Have spectator photographers been this big of an issue in previous tours?

Not really: Mind you this crowd is massive and quite inexperienced when it comes to spectating cycling.

DONT TOUCH THE PC fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 7, 2014

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Nice road etiquette from the riders trying to stay in the cycle lane there.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Going to spectate a pro road race should be about partying with your friends and generally having fun being part of the scene. Watching a blur of lycra for 2 seconds really isn't that exciting.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Withnail posted:

Going to spectate a pro road race should be about partying with your friends and generally having fun being part of the scene. Watching a blur of lycra for 2 seconds really isn't that exciting.

ref: http://www.manualforspeed.com/domestic/usa-pro-challenge-stage-02/

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

IndustrialApe posted:

I missed this yesterday:

Find a gif of the Garmin rider just slapping peoples phones out their hands as he was going up Holme Moss.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

This isn't the best organised peloton

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They seem very worried about the wet roads. Clearly never raced in proper cycling conditions.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Just went past our chippy!

Crowd made a racket but my stupid phone wasn't recording sound for some reason.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Time for renshaw to show he can do something. OPQS leading out kittel again

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

No one could get close to Kittel there.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Time for renshaw to show he can do something. OPQS leading out kittel again

I've always thought of Renshaw as a lead out man and nothing more tbh.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Does everyone's time start at the same moment or when they cross the start line? Meaning that someone could have a better time but not cross the finish first? It seems that all times start at the same moment since the moment at the finish line is so critical.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Pocket posted:

No one could get close to Kittel there.

Yeah it doesn't look like anyone's going to challenge him on the flat stages. Sagan still almost certainly getting green though

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

serious gaylord posted:

Find a gif of the Garmin rider just slapping peoples phones out their hands as he was going up Holme Moss.

I'm gonna look for the footage.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Does everyone's time start at the same moment or when they cross the start line? Meaning that someone could have a better time but not cross the finish first? It seems that all times start at the same moment since the moment at the finish line is so critical.

There is no 'start line'. They do a neutral roll out and once everyone is rolling, the race director waves a flag and they all start racing.

Clugg
Apr 21, 2005

TraderStav posted:

It's the same clock for everyone -- the first over the line wins. The actual time difference only matters for the GC anyway, and everyone in a group of riders gets the same time, so it doesn't make much of a difference.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

The sprint at the end isn't about time - everyone in the same group gets the same time - it's about position.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

TraderStav posted:

The clock starts for everyone at the same time at the beginning of a stage. Everyone who crosses the line in a group gets the same finish line to stop crashes because of people fighting for 100th place which is where you might be getting confused.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Withnail posted:

There is no 'start line'. They do a neutral roll out and once everyone is rolling, the race director waves a flag and they all start racing.

Clugg posted:

It's gun time -- the first over the line wins. The actual time difference only matters for the GC anyway so it doesn't make much of a difference.

How is the order of the group determined? The people in the back always get hosed?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Just went past our chippy!

Crowd made a racket but my stupid phone wasn't recording sound for some reason.

In all this talk of cycling we're missing what's important: this, ur, thing being part of the caravan:

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Thought I might just about see something on Birdcage Walk, but then the riders get close and everyone puts their hands in the air to take a photo.

Definitely glimpsed the top of a helmet or two though.

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
Only Cav could get a chance against Kittel with those kind of finish, still a great sprint and lead out.

Clugg
Apr 21, 2005

TraderStav posted:

How is the order of the group determined? The people in the back always get hosed?

The people at the back have multiple hours to make their way to the front if they want to. It's so much more difficult leading a peloton (or breaking away) than drafting at the back that it doesn't make any difference in the long run.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Spectators are very well disciplined according to the commentators at the belgian TV, but then you also have this:

https://twitter.com/letour/status/486157251204612096/photo/1

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Clugg posted:

The people at the back have multiple hours to make their way to the front if they want to. It's so much more difficult leading a peloton (or breaking away) than drafting at the back that it doesn't make any difference in the long run.

Makes sense, thanks! I put a bit too much weight on how small of a difference there is between the front and the back over 5-6 hours as well as not taking the whole peloton into account.

:stilllearning:

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Man the guy the Sky rider hit went down like a sack of poo poo.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Are British people incapable of not standing in the road?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Twicw i had people step into my path without looking where I couldn't avoid them when going into uni around South Kensington it's surprising how easy they down and how little you're affected if you have a split second to adjust your weight.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
There is a natural tendency to take another step out so you can see around the person next to you.

Also, they are probably drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

African AIDS cum posted:

Are British people incapable of not standing in the road?

Gotta get that ideal blurry, cameraphone picture to put on the internet.