Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Blown away by the thread again! Where do you find the time to ride your bike between detailed OPs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Contador used to have Navarro who was a real asset but he set off on his own to Cofidis, another guy who I can't remember the name of and for a time super domestic Vino. I think it came down to old Contador was attacking and climbing too drat fast for non GC contenders to hold on during the final climbs. Their job was to get him to the base of climb intact and the rest he was more than able to deal with.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Mr.Nice posted:

CF: Inhalers are not performance enhancing; if any normal person who doesn’t have asthma takes an inhaler, they’re not going to ride any faster. Their lungs are not going to open any larger than they were before. But someone who does have asthma, the airways are going to close up and that inhaler just helps them to close less. It just helps me be more normal and I definitely don’t see that as an unfair advantage.

a few questions later :

CF: And the only ones I mentioned on the form this morning are the ones I’ve mentioned to you: Leratadine, Salbutamol, Ventolin and Fluticasone – the other spray I use.

Dr. Froomelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Drugs

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Btw re: Froome in that interview he's either an elite athlete on the "marginal gains team" who doesn't know the effects of the drugs he consumes or he's deliberately trying misleading people.

Fs F Shleck looked seriously lean during the team presentation.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Ugh Sky were so slimy on ITV about Brad not being selected. Funnily enough super greasy business man Oleg Tinkov came across really well on the GCN ride along. Contador looked really relaxed and was willing to chat.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

How many random z list celebs have they trotted out by now? The team presentation was terrible with the amount of ad breaks cutting off teams.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Holy poo poo they are talking in detail about dry stone walls...

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Awesome Jens!

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

ukle posted:

Just got back from watching it on the route North of Skipton.

If you get the chance to watch it DO IT! Its a 'once' in a lifetime experience, especially watching it with he 30,000 others in the middle of nowhere. Although the 100,000+ in literal middle of nowhere that is buttertubs must be having an amazing time.

<3 those TDF feels

Edit: Haha thanks to one of you for the dry stone wall avatar!

Pocket fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 5, 2014

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Dirk Pitt posted:

David Millar is on American TV trashing Garmin Sharp. :lol:

I hope someone somewhere has a recording of this.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I didn't see anything in the press but did they fit any of Shimano's cameras to bikes at the Tour like they did in the TDS?

Edit: Looks like Lotto missed that move.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

GO FABS!

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Broken clav for Cav :(

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

What are ITV on about? He's not riding another stage.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

The Giro-Tour combo worked 'badly' for Contador not too long ago. Riding a GT to win depletes a lot of energy. To go from recovery to training to peak form again between the Giro and TDF isn't really possible. Especially so when the fresh legged competition is of such a high calibre in July.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Crash or mechanical in the last 3k, except for mountain top finishes or time trials and the rider(s) are given same time as the group of riders they were riding with at the time of the incident. So though it doesn't matter for him, he received the same time.

Spot the intruder:

Pocket fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jul 6, 2014

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Intergortion posted:

Watched from Clifton Green before the racing started. Great atmosphere, big crowds.

It owned

Pro Tour Mullet is back in fashion?

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

French tv are really surprised by how many people have come out to see the tour. Lots of praise.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Garmin bro just slapping peoples phones to the floor.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I too wouldn't be very happy if people were trying to take pictures of me in that ugly helmet :(

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Phone High Five!
Can't get it any clearer. I'm sure someone will have a GIF of it soon enough.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Great, thanks! How are the winners determined. Best overall time added up or number of yellow jerseys, or some other combination?

If you have the time check out this, it was based on last years route but it explains the history of the race and way the race works. All with a French accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7wPa1Hl5ZA

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

They really are hammering the adverts arent they? And not just short minute breaks, but full 3-5 minute gaps.

I keep switching to French tv it's ridiculous, never seen it like that before on UK tv.

Btw re: that youtube video, the speeds the riders will hit on descents are in excess of 100Km/h

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Contador doesn't look fussed. Sagan slipping.

Edit: no he's back!

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

They need to attack to drop Sagan.

Edit: Attack Nibs!

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

None, same live feed packaged and distributed by France2. It's just when they cut to studio, that is at their own discretion, but now both France2 and ITV are showing the exact same replay of the final 1000m.

Edit: France2 showing more riders coming to the finish, whereas ITV went to another ad break...
Edit2: France2: the prize giving. ITV: More ads.

Pocket fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 6, 2014

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Also once Nibs got away no one wanted to ride Sagan to the line.

Rodriguez finished nearly 15min down.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

There was no point in chasing down that move so close to the top and so far from the finish line, Froome would not be able to solo it. One of the other riders was going to cover it, Nibali had Fuglsang with him and Sagan would chase because he wanted the win. If Froome is strongest or Alberto is weak remains to be seen but we can't deduce that from that tiny burst.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

borapt posted:

Nibali's attack was pure beauty. Looked so freaking fast from the helicopter shot.

'What a kickoff!' indeed.

He's got a really good kick, if he hadn't crashed at the World Champs he could well be wearing the rainbow jersey now.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I'm sure that I've heard French commentators say something along the lines of "if the director shows us" and often times they'll be wondering allowed about things but the footage doesn't follow. It also depends where the crew have a camera.

During the stage to Emosson on the Dauphine the tv audience was clueless that Westra was even close to the Katusha duo until the last Km. Everyone watching on the mountain within the last 4km was aware of him.

Pocket fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 7, 2014

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

New rule: Drink every time ITV mention Chris Horner's age.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

They should not have any trouble pulling them back in again.

Andy Schleck down

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

No one could get close to Kittel there.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Man the guy the Sky rider hit went down like a sack of poo poo.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Anyone know if team support vehicles were caught up in the tunnel delays?

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Mandatory Paris-Roubaix video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1QXKjc1nLY

Edit: A. Schleck did not start the race today. His career must really be on the line, he will have to focus on the Vuelta.

Edit2: Froome Crash, up and running again. He was holding his wrist though.

Pocket fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jul 8, 2014

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Dunno who is driving the pace at the front cause the time gap is getting bigger!

Calling it now, left wrist is injured more than he'll let on.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Anyone else catch the Tramadol pass over?

Usually crash damage is worse the 2nd day.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Crosswinds are expected so we could have echelons forming, this stage looks to be good. I was hoping to get out on a ride between the rain but I dunno if I want to miss this stage anymore :S

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Cancellara being super Euro and texting his agent during the race.