Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Oh boy the next stage... 196km and 5.2km of climbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Tinkoff out.
IAM out.
Bora-Hansgrohe in.
Lampre-Merida splits into Bahrain-Merida and TJSport-Lampre.

18 spots down to 17. Which team gets demoted from the World Tour to Pro Continental? By performance I would say Cannondale, AG2R or Giant...

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Hey maybe Cannondale won't get relegated to Pro Conti then... Someone has to get demoted next year and I'm still really curious which team it will be.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

HappyCamperGL posted:

Probably dimension data. They're a long way adrift at the bottom of the rankings.

I see Giant-Alpecin (soon to be Sunweb-Giant) and LottoNL-Jumbo down there too. Dimension Data has some notable stage wins as well as a large budget. I'm not sure they're on that shortlist.

Honestly I think TJSport-Lampre gets bumped.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

kim jong-illin posted:

If Wiggin's asthma is serious enough that he's been needing TUEs for oral steroids, he's an absolute loving idiot for continuing to smoke.

A professional athlete that relies on cardio-respiratory performance who smokes is probably an idiot regardless of whether he suffers from asthma.

efb

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Midget Fist posted:

It's so many different kinds of hosed up, just on the surface without even looking at the deeper implications of middle-eastern sports-buying.

Yet I am unable to look away...

The Middle East owns more than just sports...Qatar pretty much owns London at this point.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

accipter posted:

He was doing pretty good until he went over the guard rail! AHHH

That's just some random video he found right? Not a Bahrain-Merida bike, guy is wearing a wristwatch...also he doesn't seem to know how to ride a bike.

e: Looks like a random sportive since they're wearing race numbers.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 17, 2017

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Premature ejacula- posted:

loving hell, Porte and Ewan won every stage of the TDU.

Porte on track for a mid-season meltdown as usual though.

He'll crash at some event at the end of spring and break a collarbone.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Skarsnik posted:

Ewan looked unbeatable too, that insane tuck he does is incredible

IIRC he actually adjusted his technique to tuck less last season. Gives him better control and traction.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
He's pretty much gone to the Cav technique now, which isn't a bad one to copy.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 22, 2017

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Skarsnik posted:

watching Dubai now and Quickstep Floors really is the worst team name

e:

http://www.velonews.com/2017/01/news/cavendish-sprints-to-third-on-a-flat-tire-in-dubai_429819

I wondered why cav looked like he just wasn't really going for it

I do wonder when these guys are going to switch to tubeless. No fear of delaminating rim brake clinchers with disc brakes slowly making their way into the peloton.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Aren't they running tubs anyway?

The point is tubeless requires a bead hook, and rim brake carbon clinchers aren't used because partly because they have a history of delamination on alpine descents. There are exceptions. I believe some neutral service wheels are clinchers. I also know some individual TTs have been run on clinchers because pan-flat stage.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 31, 2017

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

ImplicitAssembler posted:

What's the advantage of running tubeless over tubulars?

Lower Crr, race sealant can plug some pretty huge leaks. Yes, I realize you can technically fill tubs with sealant too, but latex inner tubes plus liquid latex can result in malformed tubes.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I have used a normal track pump to seat all my tubeless tires. Sometimes it takes a little more effort to get the beads to pop in with tubeless conversions, but with wide rims and those bead lips in the tire bed I've never had an issue.

Pros don't use sealant...they wait for the team service or neutral service to exchange the wheel obviously. Tubeless tires can be run at lower pressures for monuments and are also slightly more aero than tubulars because of better laminar flow over tire and rim surface.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Why would anyone need to carry a pump around in a race? What are you going on about?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
It's extra hilarious because it's pretty clear that he hit part of the temporary fencing (causing some discoloration in the shoe.)

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Premature ejacula- posted:

It's kinda funny how much the pros hate discs, they always go for the spinning fiery blades imagery. Surprised more people haven't become early adopters to strike fear into the hearts of their rivals. Next level marginal gains strats.

Oh God yes, anodize them red and laser etch a serrated pattern into the cooling fins,

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Is that what it looks like to have a BP of 80/50

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

kimbo305 posted:

Much to the chagrin of Freds everywhere, Sky's Kask helmet this year isn't available to the public:
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/product-news/new-kask-helmet-spotted-team-skys-heads-317034
I actually didn't know there weren't homologation requirements for equipment.
Guessing this helmet doesn't pass the perfunctory crash standards in favor of lighter weight.

It's clearly just a Protone with a slightly different outer shell...a stopgap solution to replace the old Infinity. I bet it would pass CPSC and CEN testing, but Kask will probably have a new aero helmet available by the Giro or TdF anyway.

Kask helmets remain one of the most comfy I've ever used. The retention mechanism at the back slides down farther than pretty much any other helmet and I don't get why nobody else has adopted the leatherette chinstrap. I like how no adjustment is needed to the strap around the ears as well.

OTOH, I am in between sizes on the Protone, so I've settled on the Lazer Z1. Anyone with a 58-59cm circumference head should consider the medium Z1...it's roomier than just about any other medium sized helmet without looking mushroomy.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 10, 2017

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Because the Infinity profile is older and less aero than a ventless Protone.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Sagan dropped his chain right at the finish line, though I'm not sure it really affected the outcome.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Sagan veered somewhat dramatically into Kwiatkowski from sheer exhaustion. I thought they were going to crash into the media who were squeezing both sides of the road.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

kimbo305 posted:

Why is this something new? Nobody's been willing to help Sagan if he's had a short at winning.

That's normally what teammates are for, but unfortunately everyone is right about Bora-Hansgrohe having a weak roster other than Sagan.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
His head hit the ground so hard. Yay helmets.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
That's loving terrible. Poor Frankie :(

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Guys meet Petra Sagan.

And a young Froomey.

And female Esteban Chaves looks just like male Esteban Chaves.

Whoa.

Caleb.

Sir Chris Hoy.

Wiggo.

Tiffany Cromwell.

Lemond.

[timg]https://www.dropbox.com/s/9h296zk38dw8lr6/lemond-faceapp.jpg?raw=1[timg]

GVA.

Bom Toonen.

Dan Lloyd.

And Last but not least.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 25, 2017

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Cavendish...

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

sex swing from IKEA posted:

Shits creepy. Now I'll never not see Marcus Kittel as Taylor swift.

Oh God, I posted the Tom Boonen one to my IG and he responded.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Rohan is turning into a really good all-rounder vs just a TT guy, so w/e. Good for him. He seems like a chill guy too.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Well then...

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

simmyb posted:

somewhere in the world a lil' richie feels a shart pain in his chest

Is that pain from crashing so often?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
So I basically crashed as hard as Skujins on the front side of Hamilton Rd, around the same time. A couple others went down in the exact same spot I did. Also this isn't on the news yet, but a cyclist died descending Quimby some time later. He slid out into the path of a fire engine and his head went under a tire. I only know because they wheeled him in from the helipad performing CPR the entire time...right into a room a few feet from where I was set-up around the main ER nurse desk.

I am loving livid now that I think of it. On the way up there were street sweeping trucks doing the opposite of what they were supposed to do. They were kicking up dirt, gravel, loose bits of new asphalt all over and one actually clipped me on the way up to the KOM. There is no way I would have gone down on what was an on-camber not-sharp corner.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Form your own opinions.

http://www.steephill.tv/players/720...5642496&yr=2017

Obviously there was no intent, but he did cut across the road recklessly in an effort to get behind Demare.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

wide stance posted:

The people who made that hasty decision must be bright red now, to kick a star rider out for merely trying to keep his balance, they obviously need to admit their mistake and let him back in.

The elbow bit was probably inconsequential. The main issue is the line Sagan took from left to right with Cav right behind Demare. No doubt Sagan squeezed Cav. No doubt Demare also cut off Bouhanni.

The reality is Demare didn't cause a wreck behind him, but Sagan did. Sagan shouldn't have been DQ'd outright in my opinion, but he should have been docked lots of points/time.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
The media-moto PoV shoes the elbow best and it really was was nothing. It happened AFTER Cav started to go down.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Tubeless imo.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Richie Porte wtf.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

goatface posted:

RIP Richie's collarbone

RIP his brain/face/skull.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Looks like he speared the wall with his head, so yeah really good to see his extremities moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Uran. Beast.