Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

krushgroove posted:

While I have little sympathy for the people who had their phones or themselves knocked to the ground, has there ever been any sort of attempt to complain, sue, attack on social media or anything like that from people who've been hurt or whatever? They guy who was knocked down today was laying on the ground for a while, and he seemed old.

A bit of a flurry on twitter earlier about someone complaining to the police who were marshalling the sidelines about his phone being knocked out of his hand, and the copper just telling him that it was his own fault for putting it in the path of the riders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Cat Terrist posted:

You really need to see incar of Walter Rohl in his Group B Audi S1 because that is just soooooo wrong. Cycling fans have NOTHING on the stupidity/bravery of rally fans (Me included)

Someone post the picture of the group of photographers all lying down with their heads and cameras on the track as a group B car is sliding round a corner 3 inches from them.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

peanut- posted:

The GCN preview of stage 5 is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrCT_-6SGNc

Having never watched Paris-Roubaix, how does it work with team support vehicles down these single-lane cobbled paths? If you get a puncture halfway through a cobbled section are you just hosed?

You are. You have to wait until the vehicles catch up to you, which could be 2-3 minutes once the peloton gets strung out. You will see team helpers stationed at various parts of the cobbles with spare wheels for riders since its sometimes quicker to keep going with a flat and change there.

Theres also normally a massive scrum near the start of the Pave parts because riders want to be near the front since any accident can hold people up for ages too.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I didn't see the froome crash, how did he go down? Fairly major knock to confidence before tomorrows stage

EDIT: looking through the team lists i can't see anyone who's going to guide froome or contador through the cobbles like sparatacus did for schleck.

Slowdown in front, people shifted out the way and his front wheel got collected.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Teams just not even trying to fight cannondale for the green jersey now. Boring.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pocket posted:

Lol @ OPQS wasting their time with those trains.

Its the only thing they can do now. No chance at the sprint and they have no-one to go after any of the jerseys. Might as well get some TV coverage.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

strangemusic posted:

Yep. I have no idea who's supposed to challenge Kittel in a bunch finish. I liked the pull that Tony Martin made in the end, though, and hats off to Voeckler of course for breaking away over almost the entire stage.

I'm wondering if they'll try a few Tony Martin long rangers when the riders are bit more tired. They could string it out then launch Martin off.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

demare did well today, hope it's not just a sagan/kittel whitewash.

Sagans got the green sewn up I think. No-one was bothering at the intermediate sprint today.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

I hope people actually try and race rather then sit on his wheel. Would like some more :tinfoil: bike changes too

I'm hoping one of the young lads has a go.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The GCN guys rode the course in the wet and described it as 'god help them if it rains'.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

RIP all the collarbones. It's a bit of a vicious cycle in that the peloton is going to be more frantic now it's wet as the GC guys fight to stay at the front and therefore crashes are more likely. I can see froome losing time today thanks to sky's lack of race craft though I guess they have eisel to help him.

Thomas isnt exactly rubbish at classics either. I think today is going to be great and that a big hitter is going to crash heavily.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
This is going to be a masterful piece of stage riding from the person that wins this. Wind, Rain and very nervous GC teams.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Tbf, sectors 5 and 7 looked absolutely horrific on the GCN ride. 6 inch deep puddles everywhere.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Xabi posted:

Any action thus far? Only a few kms left and it's been strangely quiet in here today.

It hasnt started yet....

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

carborexic posted:

Fully expect a few GC riders to crack and fold once they hit the cobbles. Interestingly, Froome is the only GC contender (unless you count Rui Costa) to ever have raced the Paris-Roubaix, although he never finished the race.

He did it in 2008 and finished i thought.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goatface posted:

Shame about the cuts, they could have been entertaining, but there's not much to be gained having them ride a mountain bike track on road bikes.

Unless they included a bike swap station. That would be funny.

The bits they've removed looked like rivers this morning. Couldnt see the cobbles.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Froomes hanging around at the back. He could be done.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Ah hes stopped loving around and got up the front now.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
This is carnage and they're not even at the cobbles yet. Cancellara down now. And thomas i think for Sky.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Valverde and van Garderen went down too.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Split in the peloton too!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I dont think Froome is going to continue, he's not getting back on his bike.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Looks like hes broken his arm I think.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

That's a massive shame for the tour as a spectacle

Contador is going to own this now.

Porte doesnt have a chance, sky might as well go home.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Vando posted:

Is it really though?

Yes. Froome vs Contador was looking like it was going to be one of the great fights.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

MacDougall posted:

Let's face it, Froome crashed twice already ... why put him over the cobbles? He might die.

Its annoying because he was taken out 3 times by other riders. Poor positioning from Sky but still, other riders hitting you is just bad luck.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Vando posted:

I, too, feel we have been robbed of the great battle that was a human spider marking Contador up every climb then tootling away in the TT in the most boring manner possible.

If you honestly werent looking forward to how Contador was going to break Froome on the mountains then i just don't know what to say.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Hegay posted:

I was so angry after that, loving hell extreme gear

I was hooting like mad but since he was burning Contador it made me happy.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

African AIDS cum posted:

Who can gain time here for GC, I could see Talansky doing good, especially if he latches on to Navardauskas through the cobbles

Nibali might pull something out of his arse but contador is going to accept the time losses and not risk anything.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

African AIDS cum posted:

Froome had to be out of his loving mind on tramadol, Probably doesn't realize he's in the car now

Hes doing the formula 1 driver thing of keeping his helmet on

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Contador has been dropped by the leaders.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

He's just chilling, I guess he's not bothered by losing some time to nibali

Yeah, looked a lot worse than it was. Really dodgy coverage because of hte cobbles, cant get bikes between the groups.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Contador is on track to lose around a minute to Nibali at this rate.

Also whoops that BMC rider just tried to do a front flip on cobbles without a jump.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Talansky went down in that too I think.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Nibali's gone down now.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
This is insane i love it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

African AIDS cum posted:

And Eurosport cut to commercial right as it happened

I saw half a replay of him untangling himself from another Astana rider. What happened?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

African AIDS cum posted:

Nothing major just had to unclip, dude can handle a bike, and, probably a woman as well :D

Hes brave on a bike thats for sure. I bet he rides well iykwim

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

IndustrialApe posted:

TV commentators saying that the tour might not return here for quite some time. But I'm certain the rain is more of a problem than the cobbles, since most people fell before the first section had appeared.

It is a shame, the damage was done before the cobbles tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Westra :stare:

Monster turn on the front just destroying the GC rivals.