Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Tom wants the Tour this year more than the Giro.

Gonna be a weird race for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The average so far today is way faster than even the fastest predicted times today.

And theres cross winds at the finish.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Anyone else struggling with Eurosport player today? Its usually pretty bombproof but its stuttering and buffering all the time today.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Smirr posted:

Yeah, plus the audio was kind of desynchronized during the interviews yesterday, which isn't a big issue with cycling but still kind of annoying.

It was driving me insane, dropping into low quality mode constantly when it was working too.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Smirr posted:

Yeah, exactly the same here. I thought it was because I switched my computer from ethernet to wifi yesterday, but apparently not. I hope they figure that poo poo out quickly - this would be unacceptable on the better stages.

I was doing all sorts of speed tests thinking it was my system.

They've had issues like this before, but never as bad. I think their system was getting absolutely hammered by people watching the football.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I reckon Dumoulin will abandon tomorrow and just focus on the tour.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TobinHatesYou posted:

Remi Cavagna descends worse than Ilnur Zakarin.

This is impossible.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Why the gently caress did the Giro schedule this boring rear end 250km garbage transfer stage for a saturday?

Bud Manstrong posted:

me: tejay van

my brain: don’t say it don’t say it don’t say it

me: garbageman

Dont worry, I'm sure the race organisers are working out how to give him the same time as the leader. Maybe he got a hangnail in the last 30km?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Bit wet this.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Holy poo poo Roglic

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Skarsnik posted:

Looks like they left it in the top gear after putting the back wheel on

Im the other TT bike left on the roof.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Is this the worst giro for years? Its been 13 days of awfulness so far before a tiny spark of fun today.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Astana and Lopez trying to do a Froome.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Skarsnik posted:

According the little Eurosport awkward room crew nibbles getting dropped is part of his master plan

:hmmyes:

I think you mean according to batshit wiggins. I was a big fan of the look of abject disbelief he got from Simon Richardson when he said it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Oh Zakarin.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Lmao Roglic is just like 'Cheers boys' as the chain of fans push him up the hill.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Smirr posted:

I think he might actually get a time penalty for that. At least act annoyed, Jesus

It should be a fine at worst or you're basically asking the riders to punch fans or get a time penalty.

Actually, scratch that. Punch fans to get a time bonus???

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Lopez gets a minute bonus.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Carapaz was 3 and a half minutes behind Roglic after the San Marino time trial. Bonkers that he got that much time back.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

HappyCamperGL posted:

ten second penalty to roglic for the fan push.

Did they do anything for Lopez?

Also lmao at Mollema not making even the standard apology for that, fair play son gently caress sram

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

HappyCamperGL posted:

no penalty for lopez as the jury determined it was an "human reaction".

fair in my opinion. to kick him off the race would be wrong.

gently caress that he should have got the same time as the guys he was with.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'm the lotto guy with the hand drawn number including dodgy sponsor logo.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Smirr posted:

Mediocre Giro overall, imo. Doesn't bode well for the grand tours that are always lovely

I will remember it as the Giro that Roglic soft pedalled away an (effectively) 5 minute advantage and some rando breakaway dude won.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goatface posted:

Do you think they'll use him to race for titles or just to haul other people up mountains?

He'd be going into the Landa/Porte roll at Sky, a super domestique/backup for the Tour and a shot at the Giro/Vuelta.

Its odd to say as hes won one, but I don't think hes a genuine GC contender. He lost so much time in the time trials and I don't think his climbing would have put enough gaps into the big hitters like Dumoulin or Froome to make up for it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Skarsnik posted:

Nibbles spends far too much time caring (and then moaning) about what other riders are doing or not doing imo

He should have just read back Yates interview before the Giro multiple times to really rub his nose in it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
In conclusion Nibali is a land of contrasts

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Skarsnik posted:

There's quite a few reports saying different stuff, some saying broken femur

Brailsford is saying hes going to be out for a long time. That might be it for Froome if its as bad as being suggested.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goatface posted:

It's all the snails in his blood weakening his bones to build their shells out of the calcium.

There was a very interesting article on pro cyclists relative lack of bone density and why this correlates to a lot of fractures after crashes.

https://blogs.bmj.com/bjsm/2018/02/27/cyclists-make-no-bones/

Basically we've got the skeletons of someone about 10-15 years older than we actually are.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Froome is in intensive care.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/48617835

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

kimbo305 posted:

This is like twice as bad as what happened to Taylor Phinney, though I guess the pre-injury talent isn't quite comparable.

Wasn't it an infection that caused most of Phinneys troubles? The reason they operated so quickly was to prevent that happening to Froome.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Vando posted:

Chris Froome, first man to win a GT from intensive care

Oh this has caused some intensive care for sure.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/philgaimon/status/1139639716922503174

Phil Gaimon getting in on that action.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Froome has also fractured his sternum and his neck.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Contador coming back out of retirement.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Lmao Bernal is only 22 we've got like 12 years of this.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Van Aert is gonna win the tour

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'm sure the ASO are trying to work out how to get Van Der Poel's team invited at the last minute too.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

HappyCamperGL posted:

No Cavendish or bouhani at le tour.

Just loving retire already.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

oystertoadfish posted:

hello real cycling fans, time for all the rest of us to descend upon you

a breakaway! brussels! cycling. the city and suburbs even are definitely a different look than the tour of california, europe is quaint and poo poo

You aren't meant to see Belgium in the sunshine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Okay this Bora Eurosport CGI rider is possibly the worst thing the tour has ever done.