Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Truly awesome OP!

So I'm all set to see my first ever Tour stages...I want to see some action up close but my GF isn't into bike racing and we don't want to be stuck in traffic trying to get out of town. So I'm thinking spend the day in Harrogate and try to see the finish on stage 1 (literally about 30 seconds of action?), then maybe the stage 2 climb in Haworth as ukle says (the side roads that lead out of town should be OK???) or try to see the steepest climb that day just outside of Holme. That should at least provide a little extra time to see the riders go past.

Are these terrible ideas? Harrogate has a 'fan area', whatever that is, I'm assuming the buses will be there, a screen of some sort, plus of course the finish somewhere in the town. The climb outside of Holme has a tight turn at the steepest tallest area of Stage 2, plus a road to drive away on afterwards.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
That's a great link, thanks.

I'm trying to decide what we're going to do for Stage 2 - I think we'll try to see the sprint finish in Harrogate for Stage 1, but if thousands and thousands of people are going to be on the hill coming out of Holme, but what time should I plan on getting there?

Also I really want to get a water bottle tossed out of the peloton for some reason.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

So...a British summer then.

Well we'll be in Harrogate, hopefully at the barriers to see part of the finish.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I was 35m from the finish and the crowd cheered every time Cav was mentioned by the announcers, and a massive 'OOOH' when the crash happened. Didn't get anywhere near the barriers to see anything (about 15m behind them) so I'm camped up in my car on a side road in Knaresborough at the A59 T-junction and tomorrow will station myself where the polka-dot pub is at a sharp left after a short, steep descent out of town...you'll recognize it when it comes on the coverage!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Got back from Knaresborough (where the big polka-dot house was at the sharp left turn) in time to watch the rest of the race and the finish, uploaded 400+ pictures to a Google photos album!

clicky: https://plus.google.com/photos/101792256154658567736/albums/6032996404254251329?authkey=CIb774qDksrLmAE

I'll be going through the photos eventually but the Auto Awesome feature of Google photos is pretty cool:
the breakaway

front of the peloton

the Yorkshire cops have never been so popular:

and the mayor's house in Knaresborough that we were in front of:

ITV and BBC interviewed the mayor separately, and he and his friends had cameras and drinks in the upper floor windows

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Was interviewed for BBC Look North (North East & Cumbria) yesterday, and the footage was shown on BBC Breakfast this morning!

The original report was on Look North (North East & Cumbria) last night, about 3 minutes in: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04778j0/look-north-north-east-and-cumbria-06072014

How funny - a few people have told me they saw me on the BBC News this morning, even in the Netherlands!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

thehustler posted:

Are you Dutch krushgroove? People get BBC all the time there.

No, but a guy I used to work with is, and he moved back to Holland. He sent me that photo off his TV this morning :)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ask her if she's aware of other common events, like Wimbledon or the World Cup! Although, to be fair, outside of Yorkshire there's no mention of the race in local towns and whatnot - just on the national news I guess? The level of enthusiasm and awareness everywhere in Yorkshire is just amazing.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Someone called in a favour and now every information screen in the large office i'm in at the moment has got the tour on!

my desk doesn't face any of them:smith:

Use one of the live feeds!

serious gaylord posted:

Krushgroove a guy I work with wants to know what camera you have to shoot that quickly.

The lens on my DSLR is busted so I brought my trusty Canon S95, which I've had for a few years and love love love. It's been surpassed by newer models, I think they're up to S120 on the numbering now.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 7, 2014

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Plenty of mentions in Cambridge, loads of people out today

Yeah, sorry - I meant outside of the areas the stages went through don't have much menion. I'm in South Derbyshire and there's basically nothing. I'm sure Scotland, Wales, Cumbria and other places will want to get future stages, supposedly there was £4mil spent and they're looking to make £100mil from all the coverage. I watched a bunch of the Look North coverage and one ice cream shop along the route apparently sold a year's worth of ice cream in one day! So the local impact is pretty huge.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
While I have little sympathy for the people who had their phones or themselves knocked to the ground, has there ever been any sort of attempt to complain, sue, attack on social media or anything like that from people who've been hurt or whatever? They guy who was knocked down today was laying on the ground for a while, and he seemed old.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Can anyone else in the UK not get the feeds to work?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Awesome! These work for me (UK, behind work firewall) - any chance you can put these and your previously posted stream links in the (already amazingly helpful) OP so they're easier to find?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Does the team car order change day to day? It it chosen by lottery, or what?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Does that mean the teams are ranked like tennis players at a major tournament, so the 'best' teams are at the front of the queue of cars?

Also, is anyone using Cervelo? I know they had their Test Team a while back but they don't seem to be directly involved as a title sponsor of a team.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Thanks guys, was just curious. I enjoyed their series of videos 'Beyond the Peloton' and got to 'know' Thor and the other younger blonde guy (can't remember his name but haven't seen him mentioned by anyone in the last year or two).

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Pocket posted:

You may be thinking of Heinrich Hausler.

Should have picked Brad!

That's the guy, I found him on Wikipedia, seems he's still racing for IAM.

Thanks for putting up with the noob questions :) this is one of the 2 or 3 cycle races I follow every year!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Thanks for explaining what 'queen stage' means, I'm sure there's some old-school explanation of where it came from but it's one of those weird Euro cycling things that I'm still picking up even after years of watching the TdF.

Just finished watching the Dauphine, that was interesting! but I don't know if there can be any surprises left in this year's Tour...can there?

And also by accident I'm wearing my Mellow Johnny's shirt today (I know, Armstrong hate and all that but it's a cool shop still)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Smirr posted:

Because we reserved making it for this thread's original poster, and that guy is dead or busy or whatever

Revolt!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I think the announcer does a great job of explaining why they don't go balls out from the start, and the importance of positioning. It's definitely interesting to watch, I wonder if that still happens in velodrome races in some places.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah, I meant the cat-and-mouse game part of it - I asked ages ago in this thread after someone posted a similar video, and was told that it's not as common these days to have that sort of action. I live near Derby in the UK, they just opened a new velodrome, I might go check out the racing sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
This came up on my Facebook feed, you can easily get powerful motors that install in the frame and turn the BB through bevel gears, but the company's target market is 60+ folks who just want an easier time riding bikes: http://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/542/how-realistic-is-motor-doping