Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
This was an amazing stage. Boom finally proving it to everybody that switching from cyclocross was a good idea. Contador in attack mode is always fun.

Dirtanium posted:

This was a great stage to watch. Which stage is the next chance for a big shakeup?

Next two are for Kittel and Sagan. Stage 8 might be too soon for real attacks.
I reckon stage 10 for the first real test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Jurgen Vanden Broeck apparently fell again. I wonder if he and the Tour will ever get along. The stage is looking set for Kittel.

edit: Hernandez out. That's got to sting for Contador.

Punc fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 10, 2014

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.

Withnail posted:

It would be nice to see anyone except Marcel Kittel win today

Done apparently :o

Please not Greipel. Cmon Sagan!

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Losing Contador sucks. He's always entertaining on the mountain stages. Are Rolland's time trial skills enough to make him a contender? I seem to remember him being pretty good uphill and he raced pretty fun.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Goddam Nibali, what an acceleration

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Oh Schleck, you used to be good :(

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
I wonder if anyone will manage to get away on that last hill. Looks like a mass sprint probably, can Kittel sprint on a slope?

edit: nvm, Kittel dropped from the peloton.

Punc fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 17, 2014

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Greipel fell. Sagan might actually win one :aaa:

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Goddamit Sagan

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.

Still B.A.E posted:

It'd be cool to have dash cams in the team cars imo, could probably get some cool stuff from them every now and then.

I seem to remember that for the Classics they had a inwards dashcam, i.e. filming the car drivers and seeing what they are saying. I'd like to see that for the Tour as well.

StoneOfShame posted:

As well as what everyone else has said you also want to have as little weight on you as possible a camera would be a real annoyance which is why they only have them on the motor cyclists and cars.

Bikes nowadays have a minimum weight of 6.8kg. They would be lighter (and more dangerous) if this was lowered, so a little camera wouldn't cause a problem.

Looking forward to today's race, hopefully some outsider manages to stir things up a bit.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Auwch, Fuglsang. This might be trouble for Nibali.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.

Mr.Nice posted:

RTBF said the same thing about the bike and cam, may be for aerodynamic.

Fuglsang crash was weird.

Sporza saying it was a bidon that someone else threw away.
e.: the Fuglsang crash, not the bike switch.

Punc fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 18, 2014

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Haha Sky, good riddance.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Let's do this Valverde

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Goddam Nibali :aaaaa:

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Nibali you crazy son of a bitch

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.

African AIDS cum posted:

They could have easily taken the win had they rode til the end.

It happens all the time thou. I never got that, surely you get some money for coming in second, even on a stage in the TdF?
Why not go all out and risk getting second, instead of letting the peleton swallow you up.

edit: Yeah, you totally get money according to this: http://www.roadcycling.co.nz/TourdeFrance/tour-de-france-demystified-part-2.html

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Sorry for the Armstrong video, but if we're talking descents: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP_AOrBglNM&t=136s (if the time doesn't work skip to 02:16).
I always wonder how it must suck for the motor guys when a biker suddenly decided to go full retard and take high risks, and they still have to catch up and film the dude.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Pinot! He deserves the white.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Haha, Pinot wrecking everyone at the end there. Awesome stuff.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Nice bow Rogers

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Pinot really putting time at Bardet. Doubt he'll pick it back up on the following days, so white is secured as well. I think that covers all jerseys for this TdF unless someone crashes?

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.

scaevola posted:

Depends on if you've given polka to Nibali due to the mtfs, or expect the others to get into enough good breaks.

Nibali should get it I reckon. With the French battle I don't think they'll allow a break-away (or they'll catch on the last climb). Since Rodríguez and Majka can't really follow Nibali's pace he should be able to secure it.

Still hoping Pinot takes enough time for the TT, he's fun to watch.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.

peanut- posted:

The TV director seems to take a lot of joy in showing Richie Porte dropping off the back every day.

Who doesn't really :shrug:
Van den Broeck is sad thou, our only hope for the podium :( .

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.

Hegay posted:

If Nibali wins today, Majka needs to be 6th or better over Tourmalet

Majka really wants his car so he should be going for it. I wonder in how far Nibali will respond to it..
e.: not not, do nothing why don't you
e2: O right, there weren't any points left. :downs:

Punc fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 24, 2014

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Peleton really chasing. Nibali going for the stage victory?

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
What the hell Horner

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Cmon Pinot! Let's get Valverde.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
At least Majka has a lesser period. Nibali...

^ Stream in dutch: http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/matchcenter/mc_wielrennen/Comp_Tour_de_France_2014/MF_Tour_de_France_2014_rit_18

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
The time trial for the podium is going to be very fun.
Pinot
Péraud +00' 13"
Valverde +00' 15"
Bardet +02' 17"

Valverde is likely to get on the podium, since his time trial skills are better as Pinot and Péraud. Bardet won't get on the podium, unless people start falling like Rasmussen did. The French must be happy, they have a podium place.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
So Germany is the new Spain? Winning 7 stages, the WC, contending in F1. Good finish by Kittel, shame that a man that won 4 sprints isn't wearing green, gently caress those in between points really, he isn't even top 3...

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.

peanut- posted:

Should it just be a sprinters jersey? Even ignoring intermediates, Sagan was in the top 5 on 10 stages which seems pretty loving impressive.

This made me think.

I think I'm having second thoughts about by earlier statement about Sagan. Turns out he has accumulated 431 points. This placed him second, behind Sean Kelly (1985) in most points accumulated during the Tour. He's also the first one, since Zabel, to get the green 3 years in a row. I'm starting to think he's done something incredible indeed.

To be fair, the system changed since 2009. Still, he's gotten about 150 points more as Hushovd in 2009 and Petacchi in 2010 and even 100 more as Cav in 2011.

To be fair to Kittel, he should be in the top 3, but Sagan's consistency is pretty remarkable.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Still can't believe he's able to do this after his accident in the Tour. Goddam Pistolero :stare:.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Good race by Kristoff, shame that Stybar couldn't follow Van Avermaet on the climb there, I keep wanting Stybar to win a classic :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Degenkolb was wonderful, once he joined Van Avermaet you knew he had it in the bag. Really enjoyed the last 30km, was an entertaining PR.