Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I already hate ITV. Show the loving cyclists I don't give a poo poo about interviews about how early the crowd got to the finishing line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
That crowd is just ridiculous.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
loving hell I swear ITV must be breaking the limit of how many ads you're allowed to have per hour.

This stage is fun, it's making me want to visit Yorkshire.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Nice road etiquette from the riders trying to stay in the cycle lane there.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Thought I might just about see something on Birdcage Walk, but then the riders get close and everyone puts their hands in the air to take a photo.

Definitely glimpsed the top of a helmet or two though.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The GCN preview of stage 5 is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrCT_-6SGNc

Having never watched Paris-Roubaix, how does it work with team support vehicles down these single-lane cobbled paths? If you get a puncture halfway through a cobbled section are you just hosed?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
A Dutch rider would cross the line looking like he's blacked up.

I was hopeful Nibali would turn £1 into £150 for me for a while there.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Looks like Sky are losing another rider

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It always seems like they're really bad at knowing where the hell anyone is at any given time, and slow to catch up to events that happen away from what's currently on screen.

peanut- fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jul 11, 2014

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah, giving the commentators the ability to relay more information than just describing what's happening on the screen would be good.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Would they mind giving up yellow to someone that's not a real threat? They might not try that hard.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
That was incredible to watch

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
And Talansky's retired.

No-one is finishing this Tour.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Oh no, he's back on his bike and having a bit of a cry. Very odd.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

StoneOfShame posted:

Anyway I lurked this thread last year and will be getting involved now. Two things, does anybody feel really sorry for Nibali in the sense that he is incredible form this year but if he wins a lot of the commentators will only talk about how he won the year Contador and Froome dropped out even though he was as good as them

Doesn't seem that unfair to talk about that when it's probably true. He certainly looks like the best climber left, but his big push the other day only got him 15 seconds over the chasers. Nothing like what we saw from Froome last year (doping or not). Plenty of climbing to go though I guess.

And I doubt he gives a poo poo. Those two being out makes him more likely to win, and winning is the only thing that will be remembered a couple of years from now.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The TV director seems to take a lot of joy in showing Richie Porte dropping off the back every day.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

There goes Porte out the back again!

The camera bike racing through traffic to get near enough for a labelled close-up of Porte dropping off the back was hilarious. Every day - whoever the TV director is must be finding it hilarious.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
People's seething hatred of Sky seems way out of whack. Not to say you have to like them because their holier-than-thou attitude is annoying, but the race to condemn them for everything they say or do is a bit tedious when barely a comment gets made about other teams doing the same stuff.

I am fairly new to following this sport though so maybe there's something I'm missing, but for being the evil kings of doping they apparently are they've been pretty much dogshit with Froome out the race.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Should it just be a sprinters jersey? Even ignoring intermediates, Sagan was in the top 5 on 10 stages which seems pretty loving impressive.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Russian Bear posted:

It was refreshing to see the yellow jersey attacking for once.

Wasn't the complaint last year that Froome attacked so much it was taking the piss?

People's problem with the green jersey seems like it's more to do with Sagan being so exceptional no-one can compete with him, doesn't seem fair to call that "mediocrity". If it was mediocrity there would be a contest.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Dirk Pitt posted:

I might be , but about all I remember from last year is a phalanx of sky riders pushing Froome up the mountain and by the time they were dropped, Froome just had to go a bit further by himself against no one. Froome didn't really have to do poo poo last year.

I think you're merging memories of 2012 and 2013 a bit. The Sky train was pretty strong last year, but Froome's juiced up rampages up Mont Ventoux and Ax 3 Domaines weren't exactly him just holding a wheel.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Contador is riding the Vuelta

https://twitter.com/albertocontador/status/499842508852305920

peanut- fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Aug 14, 2014

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

I hope its good news and not just 3 weeks of them marking each other.

Well if what he says in the video is true he's not going into the race with any hope of competing for the GC

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Xir posted:

Wow, did I just see Bradley Wiggins beat Tony Martin in the ITT?

Well it's not like he's never done it before. Very surprising though.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I thought that guy had turned himself in, but they didn't do anything because it was more innocent than it looked in the video? He was banging the boards and someone grabbed his jacket or something.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Proper GC contender fight going on.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
That would be fairly absurd, cycling is probably the cleanest sport at the Olympics.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Seems like Kruiswijk is riding for a contract at Tinkoff next season.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Landa looks like he's having a very easy time of it.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

They want to xray his bike imo.

With how he rode away there they should be looking for a V8, christ.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Anyone got an English Eurosport stream? My usual ones are all in French or showing tennis today for some reason.

/edit: Oh wait, the tennis was just way overrunning on Eurosport and they've swapped now.

peanut- fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 28, 2015

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

That's pretty damning. Is it known who it is? He says enough specific stuff in these columns that it must be obvious by now.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Seems like he gives a gently caress today.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
ITV 4's commentary with David Millar is so much better than Eurosport.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Not that much unknown stuff in it really I guess, but a bit damning for Contador - link

quote:

ADD report says that Bjarne Riis has admitted that he knew riders on his team were doping.

Unnamed source says Riis told Sastre to blood dope in 08: "We know for sure that Discovery are using it". Riis calls it a "misunderstanding"

Source says Riis probably knew about Discovery's blood-doping from Basso who was there in 2007. Remember who else was there in 2007? ..

A current rider tells ADD he expects some riders do small doses of blood-doping and then use altitude training to explain bio-pas variations

Quote from a current rider regarding doping in today's peloton. "Our team doesn't want Spanish riders on the team".

ADD too urges WADA to green-light night testing. They also say WADA shouldn't allow riders to see their own blood values in ADAMS.

ADD: UCI should introduce a "fit-for-purpose" criteria for DS & doctors. Deny license to those who haven't come clean about their past yet.

To sum up the ADD report: la la la la la la "statute of limitation". la la la la la la la "statute of limitation" etc etc etc

To me, most interesting ADD part is that Riis allegedly knew about blood doping on Discovery in07 & then hired their star rider 4years later

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Kennaugh & Cav going 1v1 is a bizarre situation

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I didn't realise they'd brought time bonuses back.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Race neutralised, drat.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
At least they didn't get to these at full pace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm sure Sky will happily ditch the yellow today if they can, there's quite a few names under a minute back that could do well.

Froome's boring as gently caress but I think people are going a bit overboard with the idea that he can barely ride in a straight line without training wheels though. He'll be fine today if it doesn't rain, especially with the quality classics riders Sky have around him.