Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
First TDF follower this year. Someone mind explaining the yellow/green jersey thing? Just watched the first hour on replay and enjoying it so far. Man, is the English countryside beautiful. I need to jump the pond and take a week riding through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Albinator posted:

The Tour has lots of sub-competitions, and the leader in each wears a distinctive jersey. The overall leader (ie, quickest time through all the stages so far) wears yellow. That will be Kittel tomorrow, since he came first today. The best sprinter gets a green jersey - there are set places to sprint throughout the course, and there's points for first, second and so on in those sprints. Similarly with King of the Mountains competition, there are points available at the tops of climbs for the first few riders, and the rider with the most points gets a polka-dot jersey.

There's also best young rider, who gets a white jersey, and the team leading the team competition wear yellow numbers.

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Most aggressive rider from the day before (one of the guys up front in the breakaway, almost invariably) gets red numbers.

Another interesting thing happens when someone owns more than one of the four leader's jerseys. All four must be worn by someone, so if rider A owns two, then the second place rider in the 'lesser' competition actually wears a jersey owned by someone else. I believe that in order of importance they go yellow (overall leader), white (young leader), green (sprint leader), polka dot (mountains leader). The order of the last two doesn't matter so much because almost no one could lead both the mountains and the sprints.

So, stage one was won by Marcel Kittel. He is thus the race leader, and so he gets to wear yellow. Peter Sagan leads the young riders classification (he was second on stage 1 and Kittel is too old), so he wears white. Kittel also leads the sprint competition, but he can't wear the green, because he has to wear yellow. Normally the second placed sprinter would wear green, but that's Sagan and he can't also. In this very special case, the third placed sprinter will wear green tomorrow, Bryan Coquard. Jens Voigt wears polka dots because he is the mountains leader at the moment and gets red numbers too because he was voted the day's most aggressive rider. Team Sky will have yellow numbers because they're the best placed team.

Most/all of these jerseys and awards will change tomorrow, but wearing a leaders jersey for even a day in a grand tour is an honor for riders and a really big deal in terms of their professional careers.

Thanks, that clears it up!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

What happens if you drop out for a stage? Are you out of contention for the whole race?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Paddyb posted:

If you don't finish a stage, you're out.

Great, thanks! How are the winners determined. Best overall time added up or number of yellow jerseys, or some other combination?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

The yellow jersey is given to the person with the best overall time, so thats how its decided.

I meant for the whole race, not the stage. Unless it's the same on the whole.

Pocket posted:

If you have the time check out this, it was based on last years route but it explains the history of the race and way the race works. All with a French accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7wPa1Hl5ZA

Terrific. Appreciate the patience with the dumb questions. Never paid any attention before but got the itch now.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

If I take one thing out of the TdF is how amazing the riding is for you Brits.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Xabi posted:

Reminder that it rains every other day.

Well, that does suck. We have loads of great roads here in America but they're mostly empty. So much to see on the British roads.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Have spectator photographers been this big of an issue in previous tours?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Does everyone's time start at the same moment or when they cross the start line? Meaning that someone could have a better time but not cross the finish first? It seems that all times start at the same moment since the moment at the finish line is so critical.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Withnail posted:

There is no 'start line'. They do a neutral roll out and once everyone is rolling, the race director waves a flag and they all start racing.

Clugg posted:

It's gun time -- the first over the line wins. The actual time difference only matters for the GC anyway so it doesn't make much of a difference.

How is the order of the group determined? The people in the back always get hosed?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Clugg posted:

The people at the back have multiple hours to make their way to the front if they want to. It's so much more difficult leading a peloton (or breaking away) than drafting at the back that it doesn't make any difference in the long run.

Makes sense, thanks! I put a bit too much weight on how small of a difference there is between the front and the back over 5-6 hours as well as not taking the whole peloton into account.

:stilllearning:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Any other options for American streams that you don't have to pay for? I'm on my corporate network so the typical dodgy ones are out of scope.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Mr.Nice posted:

The cobbles stage is tomorrow, there is a little bit of cobble in the climb they will reach in a few km but nothing serious like tomorrow.

The finish line today, not as large as yesterday, maybe Kittel can loose.

http://gfycat.com/InnocentBewitchedKiwi (Froome crash)

For streams : http://www.cyclingfans.com/tour-de-france/live and http://www.steephill.tv/ for non dodgy streams.

vikingstrike posted:

Probably not. Welcome to watching things after the fact in the US!

Unless it is something like the TdF where NBC offers an app, the one-off links can be hit or miss here without much alternative. Lots of times right after a stage, someone will post the last hour or two on YouTube and you can catch it before it gets taken down. Mr.Nice usually has a link or so to such a video in his summaries.

Thanks, I will try those out. Appreciate the help, not sure I'm willing to throw out $30 (desktop streaming) for this just yet.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Scratch that! Can tune directly into NBCSN through Comcasts website. SWEET!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Man, this NBC stream (free one through Comcast) is insufferable. 3-4 minute commercial breaks, which are just a screen letting you know it'll be right back with cheesy music, after 5 minutes of coverage.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Scratching my head after watching the replay. Why didn't Boom win the yellow jersey? First to cross surely has to have the shortest time, yes? Or does the yellow jersey go to the rider with the shortest time cumulatively over the whole tour so far?

Edit: oh, awesome stage. Loved watching it

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Paddyb posted:

It's cumulative time. Also Hammer time

Ah. That makes sense. Same for the other jerseys? For whatever reason I thought everyone had a chance to get one on a given stage. A perk if you kick rear end for just one day. I imagine there have been competitions in the past where one rider wore it the whole time?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

King Pawn posted:

Hey Mr. Nice you're doing an awesome job with this thread. I'm not a super involved cycling fan but I'm watching some this year and your updates have made it a lot easier and more enjoyable to follow.

Seconding this, very helpful to the new viewer as well.

I finally plunked down the $15 for the NBC TDF app. Sick of the 'free' feeds that show 5 minutes of riding and 10 minutes of "we will be right back". Ridiculous

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

John Dough posted:

I didn't even know there were a billion Frenchmen. Then again I may be misreading that chart.

It says cumulated. Maybe it's counting every Frenchman who has ever turned on the sport in the history of TV, dead or alive?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The comma is a decimal place, so 971.72 million viewers when you add all the individual bits of coverage together.

So add together viewing figures from live coverage from every day of the Tour, the Giro, the Vuelta et al and it adds up.

Seems like a more meaningful metric would be average viewing per event or day of event.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Those female cyclists...

:vince:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

His wife is amazing. That red dress. :circlefap:

Also, whomever was chasing with him (number 83?) for most of the last 50km has one sexy paint job. That sky blue is awesome.

I'm all worked up over here.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

So what are the rules for passing in/out of a sprint? I imagine that there has to be some guidelines or else the peloton couldn't function. Riders can't be as generous as they are with the space around them without rules. Enlighten me!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

Hold your line. Thats the only rule.

Can you explain what that means? Don't swerve to hit them as they pass? Can you try to block them out with your team?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Wolfy posted:

gently caress NBC, I feel like I'm watching more commercials than cycling. It's kind of hard to enjoy.

I dropped the $15 on the app, it's so much better. No commercials at all. Plus a cool dashboard of information!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I got called away to a working session right after the first big descent. Does anyone know when the NBC iPad app replays are available? I want to pick up where I left off if possible. Looks like an intense back half of the race that I missed!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Ever been any TdF deaths?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

quote:

2002: A seven-year-old boy, Melvin Pompele, died near Retjons after running in front of the caravan

:(

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Twisc posted:

I wish NBCSN didn't use almost half of the TdF airtime for commercials and then basically only show highlights. I don't watch this poo poo just to see the sprints. I want to see the sights, the crowd and absorb it all in. NBC just doesn't care about the experience at all, it's like an even shittier NASCAR to them.

This was infuriating, I just plunked the $15 for the iPad app and it's fantastic. I just scratch my head as to why they wait until the race is 15-20% underway to begin coverage. I want to see the start and opening commentary when I eat my oatmeal!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Did Talansky take a fall today?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I see he's 13:55 off the back. Is that from the leader or the Peloton?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Smirr posted:

Leader, not that it's much of a difference at this point. But all times are always given from the front so you need to do a bit of math if you want to know gaps between other groups.

What is the cutoff time for DNF?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Really hoping Gallopin takes the stage. Really want to see more of his wife.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I'm a bit gutted that I cannot watch today nor the rest of the weekend. Looks like I will be returning on Sunday to about eighteen hours of footage to catch up on. When is the next rest day?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Non-doping question. I know it's probably hard to say but would Nibali be doing as well as he is if Cantador and Froome hadn't dropped out? Is he a monster or just compared to who is left?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

goatface posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they were well inside.

Could be good if the weather's like this for the ITT.

Announcer said that they will all get the same time.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

According to reddit:

Bartosz Huzarski`s legs after 18th stage. Tour de France 2014

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It's really bothering me that the thread title says 101th. I'm triggering here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It's my first time watching the tour (and flying today so unable to watch the final stage). Looking at the stage profile it looks like they do eight loops at the end? Is this right? What's the significance of this?