Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

A friend of mine got me into it this week, its pretty good + fun. I like that its a card game that only takes a couple minutes at most to play a game and the the f2p stuff isn't too obnoxious.

add me fools NemsMole#1542

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

No.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i play enough hearthstone to get the card back for the season, so like 3-5 games a month.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
hearthstone owns

goons dont own

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
why yes
of course i play competitive card game with magic and goblins

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Well, I'm a big supporter of games across all platforms and of all types, but actually this is extremely ungood and is basically a "if I were social enough to have nerd friends" simulator and please do not be playing it when there are games like Starcraft or Heroes of Might and Magic that are just as nerdy without the malus of being terrible.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

did somebody bee emm you

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

i tried it and not only does it crash constantly on ipad, it also has all the depth of a puddle and is of literally zero appeal to anyone who's played a modern designer card game or board game before.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

let's take collectible card games (the cancer that is killing traditional gaming) and combine it with free-to-play (the cancer that is killing digital gaming).

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Scyther posted:

i tried it and not only does it crash constantly on ipad, it also has all the depth of a puddle and is of literally zero appeal to anyone who's played a modern designer card game or board game before.

Tell us what a modern designer card game is

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yomi

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Dominion by Donald X. Vaccarino.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Scyther posted:

Dominion by Donald X. Vaccarino.

I was really hoping you'd say something I could make fun of but yea Dominion's fuckin sweet and pretty much a top level card game.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
hearthstone is a dumb babby tcg (is it even a tcg? can you trade cards?)

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Half of magic and a third of Yu-Gi-Oh without any interactivity WHAT A loving GAME

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'd forgotten Hearthstone existed. Don't have any room in my heart right now for card games other than Buddyfight.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
lmao, at goons here simultaneously scoffing at playing card games while simul-scoffing at hearthstone not being deep enough

lmao, for days

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
someone should take some of their IT money and buy me dominion tho, and i will play it with an open and honest heart and decide if i think hearthstone is poo poo afterwards

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

I love card games, hearthstone is ok but nothing special and the current mechanical game means the meta is an unchanging rock paper scissors of miracle rogue, zoo, midrange hunter. Adding more cards might shake it up but the real power of m:tg is alternate play settings like commander. Hearthstone doesnt even have roundtable multiplayer yet, let alone awesome dickoff modes.

If yomi had the production value of hearthstone idk if i would ever play anything else. Itd also cost eight hundred bucks because dave sirlin

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Tarranon posted:

lmao, at goons here simultaneously scoffing at playing card games while simul-scoffing at hearthstone not being deep enough

lmao, for days

goons arent some amorphous blob (well some are, bwahaahaha), the people holding those two opinions are not the same people

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
It's a neat, streamlined card game that does cool stuff because it is a video game. Like lasting damage, random effects, and other neat stuff that could be painful to remember in a live card game. Also I don't want to play card games with people that are in the real world.

Finally, to everyone complaining about balance and different game modes... Have you scrubs even tried Arena? Arena is the one true way to play.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

It's a neat, streamlined card game that does cool stuff because it is a video game. Like lasting damage, random effects, and other neat stuff that could be painful to remember in a live card game. Also I don't want to play card games with people that are in the real world.

Finally, to everyone complaining about balance and different game modes... Have you scrubs even tried Arena? Arena is the one true way to play.

There's nothing hearthstone does that couldn't be done on a tabletop but the components would require a starter box akin to a board game instead of just a deck. That's cool though with only 30 cards to a deck they'd have plenty of room for silence markers, damage tokens, and dice.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

lotta people real upset about a 5 min card game itt

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I like playing it casually

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
To give an honest opinion as a semi serious player that is poo poo at it, and, really all videogames the meta is pretty robust considering that blizzard doesn't gently caress with the balance that often. Miracle rogue, mid tier hunter, handlock/zoo lock are all still strong but control and tempo warrior are starting to be taken seriously, shaman and token Druid are coming out of the woodworks since uth isn't as big a deal any more, hell nothing has really changed about ice mages but even they are starting to make waves in the community.

It's a card game and you can't make a deck that perfectly counters everything, so there will always be cycles in the meta. But it hasn't just been a perfect circle. And that's neat, to me.

It's an extremely simple game, but that doesn't mean there's no depth

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

It's one of the only F2P games I ever played that I liked enough to sink $20 into. That said the fact that there's not any new cards or classes cooled my playing down to an arena a month and however many matches it takes to get the monthly cardback.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

hearthstone is stupid because unlike real card games i cant steal your cards and spit on them or burn them with a bic lighter

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

thuly posted:

There's nothing hearthstone does that couldn't be done on a tabletop

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

unless that tabletop box set comes with a man who screams "tazdingo" i'm afraid you are wrong.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Mr. Pumroy posted:

unless that tabletop box set comes with a man who screams "tazdingo" i'm afraid you are wrong.

considering the type of idiot manchild who thinks world of warcraft is cool, i'd say playing this game is going to include just that

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

it does make good use of pc stuff though and theres some of the stuff where cards are summoned or transformed that would be a pain to do in a tabletop game. also the amount of 'when x then y' stuff and effects and stuff in play at any one time would make a tabletop version of it would take forever. hearthstone is good cause you can play like 4 games in 20 minutes and go do something else after unlike a lot of card games that can take ages (mostly by spending forever micromanaging all the tokens and ticks and if this then that stuff)

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

it does make good use of pc stuff though and theres some of the stuff where cards are summoned or transformed that would be a pain to do in a tabletop game. also the amount of 'when x then y' stuff and effects and stuff in play at any one time would make a tabletop version of it would take forever. hearthstone is good cause you can play like 4 games in 20 minutes and go do something else after unlike a lot of card games that can take ages (mostly by spending forever micromanaging all the tokens and ticks and if this then that stuff)

it's loving baby's first ccg with world of warcraft flavor dude

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Scyther posted:

yeah

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

*in gayest possible voice* oooh but ith got all thethe innovative mechanith that wouldnt be viable for tabletop

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Scyther posted:

wait do you not like the game i dont get it why are you talking about it so much?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

wait do you not like the game i dont get it why are you talking about it so much?

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Scyther posted:

*in gayest possible voice* oooh but ith got all thethe innovative mechanith that wouldnt be viable for tabletop

hmmmmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

HMMMMMMMM

• Locked thread