Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
In the cosmos there is a place few are aware truly exists, a legend in many cultures and many planes. A world where lost things go and the desperate can find themselves as they reach their absolute last resort.
Falling through a bottomless ocean, sacrificing your life for ultimate power, or even a last struggle against something much more sinister within you, any of these can bring you to this place.
Regardless of which or even none of the above, those that arrive find a paradise beyond their wildest dreams, tempered by the world's own savagery.
That being said, lately there have been a good deal more travellers who find themselves on this world, and most importantly ones who find themselves on the continent of Scolus, roughly near the recently established township of Gent.
And that's where you come in. Travellers taken from many worlds and many situations with one thing in common: Your world had suffered a calamity recently, or was suffering it during your abduction.

Now mechanically, the big gimmick for this game is that it's a Dungeon World game where the core playbooks aren't allowed. Instead I'll be using the Inverse World playbooks as a sort of core with the following third party books approved for use:
Jacob Randolph's Mages (all of them really except the base), Dashing Hero, Medic, Witch, and Priest
Funhaver's Warlock, Initiate, Namer, Shaman, and Assassin
Stuff from Number Appearing
The Psion
gimpinblack's Gladiator
The Brute
Grim World's Skirmisher

If you want another third party book you think I haven't seen that fits, I might consider it for the game. I'm a flexible guy, mostly. Also, completely ignore race and just make up whatever honestly, I don't really have a problem with reskinned race moves and Inverse World doesn't really -have- any, Alignment moves are the equivalent of Drive moves though.
Your characters have been in the town for a good year or so and have been recently hired to sort of blaze a trail in this mostly unexplored continent, I mean hell it pays well.

The continent itself boasts some...interesting features. Unlike what you might think the actual nature of the terrain is extremely inconsistent with forests giving way to deserts
composed of once-molten glass or ruins barely floating in massive lakes of mud. Ontop of that from what little recon has been done, the continent is floating and surrounded by eight separate massive spires, curved upward and oddly organic.
Because it's an inverted giant loving octopus with a continent growing ontop of it of course. Foliage seems to dangle underneath the edge of the valley that the continent rests in and a jungle seems to have sprouted up on the 'upper' side of the octopus.

Influences you want to keep in mind for this: Dungeon Fighter Online, Valdis Story, Secret of Mana, Zelda, a little bit of Double Dragon Neon, Sacred (:catdrugs:,) Torchlight, and Bastion. If you have no idea how some of these fit, don't worry about it. I'm crazy as poo poo and they probably won't matter for your apps anyway. I'll be taking 7 players (not 49, I promise.) Oh yeah, and don't be afraid to get weird with tech. If you want guns or magitech it's perfectly legit.
If you have any questions besides asking me in the thread here or PMing me you can find me in #persona, #redhandofdoom, and #badwrongfun on irc.synirc.net (IRC.)

Due to my concept really it's extremely hard to find a good image. So, have this instead:

Things about load you want to know: Things

PixelScum fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

Arcturus

The last thing Arcturus remembers is the demons - a vast horde of darkness washing over him, snuffing out his light.

He awoke in a cool, dark forest, a single ray of sunlight interrupting his sleep. He did a quick once-over to make sure he was alright and to make sure he still had all of his possessions. Armor, check; staff, check; LANTERN OF TRUTH AND JUSTICE, check.

Now if only he could remember what all of it meant. The LANTERN was clearly an artifact of great importance, but where did he get it? Why is he so well-equipped to fight just to go out for a casual stroll through the woods?

Clearly there is a GREAT DARKNESS in these woods, and he is an arbiter of TRUTH AND JUSTICE! Yes, that must be it!

There's no time to waste! Evil awaits!

pre:
Arcturus
Level 1 Lantern
Glowing eyes, styled hair, practical tunic, tattooed skin

STR 13 (+1)
DEX 09 (+0)
CON 12 (+0)
INT 15 (+1)
WIS 08 (-1)
CHA 16 (+2)

Damage d6
Armor 0
HP 16/16

Drive: Enemy of Darkness
Take steps to destroy a place or creature of the shadows

Source: Stolen Property
Your little light is able to lift anything up to 1-weight, and will
frequently pick things up just to move them around.

Your Little Light (Monty)
You carry a piece of the great god Sola with you at all times. This glowing ball of light will
generally float about wherever it wants, although it sticks around you and rests in a lantern
you carry. It will usually obey your commands, but it is quite fickle and may require some
convincing. Your little light cannot speak, but it can communicate to you by changing
colors and point things out using beams of light. It will always provide light for you. Your
little light cannot physically touch anything, and it cannot be harmed in any way.

Light Weaponry
When you command your little light to change its form, choose a form from below and
it will take on that form until it thinks you need another one more. When you roll a 6-
while your little light is in one of these forms, it reverts back to its harmless form and
refuses to change back for a short while.
• Arrows of Light: Near, Mystical, Piercing 2. When you would spend Ammo with this
weapon, instead reduce the Piercing value by 1 until the next time you Make Camp.
• Shield of Light: Armor +1. You can lend this armor bonus to anyone within Reach.

Bend Light (CHA)
When you convince natural lights to bend to your will, choose one and roll +CHA. On
a 10+, the chosen effect works perfectly. On a 7-9, it works, but the light is fickle and the
effect will not last long - you'll need to hurry to take advantage of it. On a 6-, the light is
sick of being bossed around - the GM chooses one from the list and uses it against you!
• You command the light to attack - temporarily blind or stun a group within Near range
• You calm the light until it stays still - create a wall of light that blocks off one passageway
• You praise the light until it draws close - fill an area with light
• You terrify the light until it flees - shroud an area in darkness

Reveal the Way (CHA)
When you show a non-hostile NPC their best course of action, roll +CHA. On a 10+,
they will take that course of action, although they will take it in the way that benefits
them most. On a 7-9, they aren't sure it's something they want to do, but you have their
ear now - you gain leverage over them.
When another player comes to you seeking advice, tell them what you think is their
best course of action. If they act on your advice, they take +1 forward. At the end of the
session, if at least one player who acted on your advice actually benefitted from it in
the end, you mark XP.

Gear (3/19)
Dungeon rations (5 uses, 1 weight)
Lantern (1 weight)
Hooked quarterstaff (close, two hands, 1 weight)
One healing potion

New Tag: Mystical
When you Hack & Slash or Volley with a weapon with this tag, roll +INT
instead of +STR or +DEX.

Bonds
I must show the truths of the world to The Nameless.
I don't think Pyotr is as fond of the light as I am.
Svetlanka knows the secret I've been hiding forgot.
Alexander shines so bright that they hardly need me to
light the path for them.

Hashtag Yoloswag fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 11, 2014

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

As far as anyone can remember, the old junkyard had always been there on the edge of town, lying in wait for some curious and clumsy kid to trip and banged up; nothing truly interesting ever really came out of there. Well, nothing except the Golem. At first the townsfolk started hearing noises from the yard; grinding and scraping, and odd groans to boot. Surely it was just the scrap settling, so nobody paid it any mind. Then there were reports of odd lights at night moving amongst the piles. Everyone hoped that whatever was in there would just move along. It's not like anyone needed to go in to look, right? Well, it did move along alright, just not in the way anyone expected.

It was early morning - two weeks after the first night sounds started - that people on the road to the junkyard were rudely awakened. Anyone looking out their window into the fog saw - and felt - the hulking figure's passing. It moved straight to the center of town. By the time everyone had gathered up in the town square, the golem was standing motionless near the fountain, a tattered flag of some kind clutched in its hands; the only sounds were the running water and an occasional grinding *kchunk* from within the metal man's body. Then it spoke.

".:Where is the captain? What is this place?:."

-----------------

Over the next couple of months, things grew more comfortable. After the initial shock and panic at the golem's appearance, people started asking questions. It soon became apparent that the poor thing was lost and most likely forgotten, after being separated from some military unit. It was clear enough that it wasn't built for weaving baskets, after all. The golem, who could not remember its own name, mostly stayed in the junkyard. Occasionally it walked through town, semi-silently observing life around it. Most recently, some of the braver residents have been able to solicit its help. Heavy lifting jobs, mostly, but it was clear that the golem appreciated the work. Of course, such simple arrangements don't always last forever, and trouble is bound to come around sooner or later...
pre:
Playbook: The Golem

Source: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php/182700-Chow-191-Junkyard-Golem/

Name: *construction sounds*

Look: Single Eye (Alternates between right and left, whenever they’re working.), Bulky Body, Falling apart, Armored.

An 11-foot tall bipedal construct, rusted with age. 
It was clearly built for battle, as the remaining armor plating makes plainly obvious. 
Now there are patchy holes in its skin, showing joints, cables, and other assorted glowing bits. 
Its hands look like they could pop a man's head like an overripe melon.

Stats: 16 (+2), 15 (+1), 13 (+1), 12 (+0), 9 (+0), 8 (-1)
Str 16 (+2)
Dex 8 (-1)
Con 13 (+1)
Int 12 (+0)
Wis 15 (+1)
Cha 9 (+0)

HP: 23/23
Armor: 2

Damage: d8

Drive: Quest for Identity - Where did my commanding officers go? Where did I come from? 
And what am I going to do now that I'm all alone?

Composition: Solid
You are made of something solid, like iron, stone, or crystal. 
Your body is incredibly difficult to harm, giving you Armor 2.
Force stat: +STR

Gear:
Your Load is 7 + STR = 22
You start with almost nothing.
A personal keepsake you hold dear (0 weight)
 - A tattered battle standard. Partly visible through the grime is an image of a tower on a field of 
vertical blue and white stripes (well, they used to be). 
It is large enough to wear as a sash or small cape.

Bonds: 
Fill in the name of one of your companions in at least one:

Arcturus helped make me who I am today.

I care deeply about Karash.

My creator says A voice tells me I must aid Svetlanka DuBrovna.

Avadin Arteka has some kind of control over me.

Starting Moves:

Built for Battle
You were built to fight, and your body is a weapon with the Hand and Close tags.
Detachable - your body has the Near tag, and does not need ammo.
 When you would mark ammo, take 1d4 damage that ignores armor instead.
Violent - your body has the Messy and Forceful tags

Eternal Sentinel
You do not need to eat, drink, or sleep. When a move tells you to mark rations, ignore it. 
However, you cannot be healed by healing potions, bandages, or poultices and herbs. 
You are healed normally by other methods. 1 use of a repair kit can be used to heal you by 4 HP. 

Prime Directive
When someone you have a bond with gives you an order, you take +1 forward to fulfill that order. 
When you take an action that ignores, resists, or directly contradicts an order given to you by someone you have a bond with, 
take -1 to that action. When someone you have a bond with gives you an order you absolutely refuse to follow, 
at any time before the order has been fulfilled, 
you may erase one of your bonds with that player to ignore that order completely.

Unstoppable Force
When you try to remove or plow through all obstacles in your way, roll +Force. 
On a 10+, hold three. On a 7-9, hold two. On a 6-, hold 1, but when you spend it, the GM will add a complication. 
Spend 1-hold at any time to: 
-Force your way past an obstacle in your path 
-Distract, lift, or force aside an obstacle long enough for an ally or two to get past it 
-Cause great damage to an inanimate object or obstacle that is in your way

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jul 21, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Avadin Arteka, the Timekeeper

I lost this post several times, so the backstory is sadly unfinished. Scrambling to get something presentable here before the deadline. Summary, she's a time mage of unknown origin or species (to other people, she presumably knows full well what she is) who primarily spends eternity chronicling history. And sometimes helping make it, because being a bystander all the time is boring. The catastrophe she arrived in was the destruction of a world, the event being what she was there to observe in the first place.

Class: Clock Mage

Look: Covered Eyes, Ticking Heartbeat, Narrow Body, Mummified Wraps

Level: 1
HP: 16/16
Damage: d6
Armor: 1
STR: 9 (0)
DEX: 13 (+1)
CON: 12 (0)
INT: 16 (+2)
WIS: 15 (+1)
CHA: 8 (-1)

Drive: To Chronicle History - Go out of your way to find or witness something historic

Flow of Time: Stopped Clock - Your body is frozen in time, unable to age or truly change at all. You can never suffer a permanent injury, such as a lost limb or broken bone, and your debilities heal after only a short rest.

Gear: (Load 3/16)
Dungeon rations (5 uses, 1 weight)
Clockwork armor (1 armor, 1 weight)
A clockwork bird, which can spy on things for you. It is 1-weight. When you send it somewhere, it will report back when you next Make Camp, telling you everything it saw in the place you sent it.

Moves:
Tick Tock: Adjusting the flow of time is like a fine balancing act - with every skip forward, you need a rewind, and with every slow down, you need to speed up. You begin the game with one Tick and one Tock held. When you spend Tock, gain an equal amount of Tick. When you spend Tick, gain an equal amount of Tock. When you take a short rest, you may reset your Tick and Tock to 1 each.

You can spend 1-Tick to do one of the following:
Fast Forward: When you or an ally are waiting for something to happen, it happens immediately.
Time Skip: Move yourself anywhere you could get to by mundane means within Near range. You get there in an instant.

You can spend 1-Tock to do one of the following:
Rewind: Pull back time a moment to take back a single thing you did or said. This doesn't let you re-roll if you go back to before you made a move - if you change what you did, apply the old roll to the new action.

Give Me A Moment
When you slow time to a crawl to give yourself a moment to react, spend 1-Tock and hold 2. You can spend 1-hold to do one of the following:
• You walk around - move somewhere within Reach of you.
• You notice something you can use to your advantage.
• Roll +INT to Defy Danger instead of what the GM tells you to roll.

Eternal Witness
When you return to somewhere you’ve visited before (your call), tell the GM how long it's been since you were last here - decades, centuries, or eons. Tell us what it was like way back when, and the GM will tell you one thing that hasn't changed.

Perfect Timing
When you want to arrive somewhere at a certain time, you are always exactly on time. When you Aid Another at just the right moment, you may roll +INT instead of +Bonds.

Bonds:
I know all about ___________ 's past.
___________ will play an important roll in future events.
I have trouble understanding ___________ .

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 14, 2014

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I'll throw down something.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Is a Prince/ss an acceptable playbook? I've got an idea but want to get the go ahead first.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Ok, PixelScum,

I have a cool concept pretty much already written for a Priest. Her Holy Symbol/Weapon is basically a bulky iron Hellboy-style Gauntlet through which she channels Healing, Inspiration, and Punching.

The rub is that she and her deity are pretty OG D&D style in backstory, so I guess I'm running the idea past you to see if you dig it before I officially app?

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK

Mr. Maltose posted:

Is a Prince/ss an acceptable playbook? I've got an idea but want to get the go ahead first.

IIRC Prince/ss is a pretty social-heavy playbook and I'm not sure it'd work for the game since there's going to be a lot of time spent outside of the main town.

Error 404 posted:

Ok, PixelScum,

I have a cool concept pretty much already written for a Priest. Her Holy Symbol/Weapon is basically a bulky iron Hellboy-style Gauntlet through which she channels Healing, Inspiration, and Punching.

The rub is that she and her deity are pretty OG D&D style in backstory, so I guess I'm running the idea past you to see if you dig it before I officially app?

Good news, giant gauntlet works.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How much backstory do you want?

pre:

Aquila the Gladiator

brilliant eyes
shorn hair
muscular body
themed costume

Drive
The Applause: Risk unnecessary harm to impress a crowd with your prowess.

Origin
The Streets: When you go among your fans after a great victory, it counts
as the Carouse move with a 10+ result.

Stats
Str  15/+1
Dex  12/+0
Con  13/+1
Int  08/-1
Wis  09/+0
Cha  16/+2
---
Arm   3
Dam  D8
---
HP   23/23
Load 11/27

Bonds
TBD

Gear
Hawk Armour     (2 armour, clumsy, 3 weight)
Peregrine Spear (reach, 2-piercing, messy, 3 weight)
Falcon Blade    (close, messy, 1 weight)
Talons          (hand, +1 armour, messy, 2 weight)
Dagger Gaze     (near, 2-piercing, 2 weight; 3 ammo)
Healing Potions (3 uses, 0 weight)

Moves

Arsenal

Years of fighting unpredictable foes in the arena have taught you
to be prepared for just about anything. In addition to whatever
primary weapons you carry, you’re loaded down with lethal oddments:
bone darts, obsidian knives, razor-edged gloves, whatever. Your
arsenal is abstract, disposable, not really a “thing.”

When you go into battle fully equipped, you have 2-arsenal. You can
have a maximum of 3-arsenal at any time.

Choose a look for your arsenal: Themed

Right Tool for the Job
At any time you can spend your arsenal, one-for-one, on the following
effects.
• Add a weapon tag from the list or any range tag to your weapon for
  one move. (The Range tags are: Hand, Close, Reach, Near, Far.)
• Reroll a damage die, taking the higher result.

He's Not Using It Anymore
When you defeat an armed enemy, gain 1-arsenal.

Are You Not Entertained?
When you grandstand for the benefit of anyone watching, roll+Cha. On a
10+, take +1 ongoing until you roll a 6- on a move or your audience
leaves. On a 7-9, take +1 forward instead. 

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 1, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the reason it's called the peregrine spear is because she can jump good and has a habit of doing a dragoon impersonation with it

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

PixelScum posted:

Good news, giant gauntlet works.

Svetlanka DuBrovna, Itinerant Battle-Cleric of the Militant Order of Torthanc. (often just called the Order)

DEITY: TORTHANC

Sigil of Torthanc (pictured)
  • Controls: Justice
  • Represents: Civilization and War
  • Worshippers: People in need, common folk of all races
  • Enemies: Any who prey on the innocent (demons, undead, criminals)
  • Demands: Personal Victory over the enemy.

Far away from the bigger settlements, The Militant Order of Torthanc sends its missionaries out to spread the good word and do good works. The symbols by which they are most recognized, the red-trimmed white raiment they wear, and the bulky iron gauntlet that their most devout wear on their right arms in imitation of the Lord of Just and Lawful War's Sigil.

Svetlanka is one such disciple, trained since childhood to heed Torthanc's wisdom and teachings, she was accepted at a remarkably young age for the Induction of the Hand, where she sacrificed her right pinky finger to have her Gauntlet permanently strapped, riveted and slightly welded to her arm, from fingers to elbow, a permanent signal to all of her faithfulness.

She is currently on her walkabout : the period of time when a young cleric wanders to see the world and learn of it while doing good works, healing the sick, and rooting out evil and injustice, before settling down or founding a new Order outpost.

Look: Thin blonde woman, human, wearing regular traveling clothes under a white tabard trimmed in red (the colors of the Order) which is a bit dingy and dusty from constant travel.
On her right arm is the symbol of Torthanc, a heavy iron gauntlet, covered in swirling holy runes, that engulfs the young woman's slim arm from hand to elbow. In her left hand, she holds a sturdy metal-shod walking staff. It clicks pleasantly on the flagstones, keeping time as she walks.

Personality: In opposition to the often intimidating mien of other Order Disciples, Svetlanka ("My friends call me Anka!") Is bubbly and outgoing, perhaps even a little naive. She tries to find the silver lining in every situation. It should be noted that her bright demeanor is just that, in the face of evil or in defense of the innocent, she has a will forged of iron like her Gauntlet.

Her Fateful Sojourn to Scolus
While attending to her walkabout and vows, Svetlanka's home...er...world was beset from every direction with hordes upon hordes of ravening undead, coordinated under the mystic control of demonic generals. Armies clashed with the hordes, The Order stopped the gaps in military formations, and healed the wounded, and clawed and bit for any hold against the overwhelming tide of undeath.

Their last stand, the last stronghold of the Order, and humankind on that world, was the ancient cliff side fortress of Chelbaynsk, for 78 days and nights, they held. Never a moment's rest to be had as they fought a final hopeless battle. One of the few non-Order refugees remaining had made some claim to be a Wizard of some kind. He worked an ancient and powerful ritual, to summon the sun to us all, he said. It sounded blasphemous, but desperate times...y'know? As the ritual was completed, a light so pure and piercing it burned away all imperfection, spread from Chelbaynsk to consume the entire world.

Svetlanka, injured, bloody, and exhausted beyond all measure, embraced oblivion. Quite the surprise then, when she woke up some time later, in some strange new land. With ships sailing through the sky, and people dancing on the currents in the air. After much prayer and reflection, She realises her new lease on life is an opportunity to bring the light of Torthanc to a new world, to re-found the Order.

For the last year, she has wandered enthusiastically as an itinierant cleric, healing and protecting the innocent in Torthanc's name. She finds herself entering Gent as just the latest in a long line of small villages and beleaguered townsfolk she's seen this year.

quote:

Level: 1 Priest
XP: 1

STR 13(+1) INT 9(+0)
DEX 8(-1) WIS 16(+2)
CON 15(+1) CHA 12(+0)

HP 21/21
Damage d6
Armor 0/0

Drive:
Tend to the Weak
Heal, protect, or guide through wisdom the downtrodden or helpless.

Background:
Lone Survivor
A great cataclysm left all your friends, family, and loved ones dead, but you live on with vengeance in your heart. When you attempt to Aid Another in combat, on a 12+ you may immediately attack the nearest enemy without repercussion.

STARTING MOVES:
Invocation (WIS)
When you call out for your deity's aid in a time of need, choose a Blessing and roll +WIS.
On a 10+, Your deity intervenes on your behalf - The GM will tell you how.
On a 7-9, your deity grants your blessing, but you must choose a Requirement.
Blessing:
  • Your invocation manipulates the realm your deity Controls
  • Your invocation commands something your deity Represents
  • Your invocation bolsters your deity's Worshippers
  • Your invocation rebukes your deity's Enemies
Requirement:
  • Your invocation is obvious and immediate, drawing attention to you
  • Your intervention is subtle or takes a while to manifest
  • Your deity demands something in return. The GM will tell you what
  • The divine experience leaves you dizzy with euphoria (or terror). you take -1 ongoing to Invoke until you have time to pray quietly for awhile.

Divine Ward (WIS)
When you call upon your deity for protection for yourself or an ally, roll +WIS.
On a 10+, grant two of the following effects to the subject of your prayer.
On a 7-9, grant one, and your prayer draws unwanted attention.
  • Heal 1d8 damage
  • Take +2 Armor forward
  • Take +1 forward to Defy Danger
  • An approaching enemy is driven back

Lead the Flock (CHA)
When you preach to a mob, roll +CHA.
on a 10+, hold 3.
On a 7-9, hold 1.
On a miss, the mob turns on you.
Spend hold 1-for-1 on the following:
  • Bring people forward and deliver them to you.
  • Bring forward all their precious things
  • Unite and fight for you.
  • Fall into a frenzy of emotion: joy, sorrow, rage, as you choose.
  • Go quietly back to their lives

Gear
Your load is 13/20.
Dungeon rations (9/10 uses, 2 weight)
Order robes (0 weight)
[Symbol/Divine Weapon] Gauntlet of Torthanc (hand, 1 weight) see above.
Staff (close, two-handed, 1 weight)
Bandages (6 uses, 0 weight)
Adventuring Gear (5 uses, 1 weight)
Bag of Books (5 uses, 2 weight)

Bonds
  • I trust Nameless implicitly; they are good and faithful.
  • Sagacious Leung is in constantly stirring up danger, I will save them from themselves.
  • I will bring 'light' (:v:) to a secret about Arcturus.
  • Pyotr Marin knows that the end justifies the means, and they are a valuable asset to my goals.

ARCTURUS' SECRET:
Your Lantern is actually a very dangerous self-aware magical artifact that was kept under lock by the Order. How it works: It is a living Source, the intelligence within (You) possesses the body and mind of the person holding it, over-writing their mind with yours (kind of like How Dr. Fate's helmet works in DC comics). ~CONVENIENT AMNESIA HERE The real 'you' IS the Lantern, and your 'body' is just some poor rear end in a top hat who happened to pick you up and/or steal the lantern from the Order, maybe they were just a thief looking for a way out? ~CONVENIENT AMNESIA HERE.
Edit: Maybe Monty is what's left of the will of your body's original owner?

KNEEL BEFORE TORTHANC!

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 2, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

PixelScum posted:

IIRC Prince/ss is a pretty social-heavy playbook and I'm not sure it'd work for the game since there's going to be a lot of time spent outside of the main town.

Alright, that's a pretty good point. How about a Brute? If not I'll probably just throw a Witch together.

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK

Mr. Maltose posted:

Alright, that's a pretty good point. How about a Brute? If not I'll probably just throw a Witch together.

Oh crap, totally forgot about the Brute haha, yeah go ahead.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Sagacious Leung, Apostate of The Temple Ephemeral

The world is dying. Leung has known this for as long as she can remember. She knew this when she was only a crecheling crying in her nest. She knew this when she first entered the Temple Ephemeral, ready to align her self with the higher planes. She knew this when she struck down her master, proving once and for all that one cannot ascend so high that they cannot fall. She knew this when she walked down all of the world's paths, slipping past every hunter that tried to capture her. She knew this when her old school brother Ghost-Eyed Zhang finally cornered her, casting her into the Worldhole. And when she first climbed out of the other side and saw dawn break over Scolus, she knew that this new world was dying just as fast as the last.

Sagacious Leung is adapting to life in this strange new world rather well, all told. It is different, of course, but it has the same heart. A wanderer can still earn their daily bread. A scholar can still see the truth of all matters. A gunslinger can still find all the bullets they need. As long as those three facts are still true, the only thing Leung will need is more paths to walk. And in a land such as this, she will find more of those than she will ever see in this lifetime.

quote:

Sagacious Leung, Initiate 1
Cold Eyes, Ragged Hair, Eclectic Clothes, Slim Body

Alignment
Chaotic: Prove your kung-fu is superior

Race:
Elf: Add the following option to Sublime Understanding of the Body:
-Their mind is addled.

Stats
Str 8/-1
Dex 16/+2
Con 12/+0
Int 13/+1
Wis 15/+1
Cha 9/+0
---
Arm 1
Dam D10
---
HP 20/20
Load 5/16
XP: 0

Bonds
Svetlana is from a rival school! I must surpass them.
My master warned me about The Timekeeper.
Tazaret fights with skill and grace, and I respect them.
I will study at Pyotr's feet and learn their secrets.

Gear
Ghostly Trigger Style (Hand, Near, Precise, +1 Armor, +1 Damage)
Dual Alchemic Pistols (Ammo 3, Weight 2, otherwise part of Ghostly Trigger Style)
Dungeon Rations (5 uses, Weight 1)
Master Lao's Goggles
Adventuring Gear (5 uses, Weight 1)
Poultices and Herbs (5 uses, Slow, Weight 1)

Moves

Ability of Lightness
When you run across a surface that cannot hold your weight, roll +DEX. On a 10+, you make it across gracefully and without trouble. On a 7-9, you make it across, but you expose yourself to danger - the GM will tell you how.

Sublime Understanding of the Body
When you attack a foe purely to disable them, do not deal your damage but roll+Dex. On a 10+, choose 1, or choose 2 but open yourself to retaliation. On a 7-9, choose 1 and you open yourself to retaliation:
-They are dizzied and unstable
-Their muscles are weakened or strained
-They feel sick or nauseated
-One of their limbs are locked or useless
-Their control of their magical powers is loosened
-Their mind is addled

Signature Style: Ghostly Trigger Style
Focus: Elbows and Knees (and Guns)
Enhancements: Passive(+1 Armor), Weapon-using(+1 damage and near tag, but +2 weight)
Look: Loose Form

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 14, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Elspet Celje, Insatiable Gravity Apostate
When the average peasant or sage what comes to mind when the words brute, titan, juggernaut, or hulk are spoken they tend towards vast walls of beef rippling with muscle and about as thick as a rock. The kind of creature that breaks without a care, propelled by base instinct and thuggish cruelty. They would certainly never consider the elf, short and stick-thin and intense. That is, until that elf drives them through a couple of load bearing columns and a tree. After that not much ever comes to mind again.

In fairness, most right thinking people would never even consider anyone tattooing themselves with the 99 Gravity Soul Poisoning Mantras. But Elspet did, because unlike other right thinkers Elspet was nowhere near as wealthy as she wanted to be and had no qualms fixing that in a very, very direct manner. Partially severed from the bounds of weight, Elspet lifts boulders like feathers while the unfortunate soul on the other side of her fists find them far heavier than expected. Of course, poisoning the soul of gravity was a touch more literal than Elspet was lead to believe, and she found herself in this new land after the world's down became up.

In the last year Elspet had been satisfied to find that basic economic principles hold the same even when upside down and her nest egg was beginning to grow again. But that egg could always grow faster. Going out into the wilderness and throwing things into other things is pretty good work if you can swing it.

Elspeth can swing that all day long.

quote:

Elspet Celje

LVL: 1 Brute
XP: 0

STR 15(+1) INT 12(+1)
DEX 9(+0) WIS 13(+1)
CON 16(+2) CHA 8(-1)

HP 28/28
Damage d8
Armor 1

Drive:
Greed
Amass Great Riches

Background:
Strong Constitution
When you challenge someone to a drinking contest, roll +con
On a 10+, they reveal a secret.
On a 7-9, so do you!

STARTING MOVES:

Armed And Dangerous
When you Pick up an enemy and swing them around, count them as a weapon with the reach, awkward, and forceful tags

Is That All You Got?
When you Deliberately take the full brunt of an attack, roll +con
On a 7-9 pick one.
On a 10+, pick one and you only take half damage as the attack glances
*Your enemy is left open, you can grab or shove them.
*You learn one of the enemy's weaknesses; describe it
*You're already in the way of their next attack, and can easily block it
*Your lack of reaction infuriates or terrifies your enemy

Juggernaut
When you Smash into an Obstacle Roll +Str.
On a 10+ choose two
On a 7-9 choose one
*Your momentum carries you through
*You cause catastrophic damage to the obstacle, scattering debris everywhere
*You don't take any damage

Showboat
When you Perform a feat of strength in front of an audience, roll + str
On a hit, you keep their attention as they watch in amazement or dismay
on a 7-9, you also draw unwanted attention to yourself

Leap
When you throw yourself into a giant jump, roll +str
On a 10+ you land where you wanted. If that's on someone, deal damage
On a 7-9, you are thrown off course, and you land somewhere unintended

Gear
Your load is 4/27.
Fists (blunt, hand)
Boiled Leather Armour (1 Armor, 1 Weight, 1 ration)
Broadsword (Reach, two-handed, 2 weight)
Adventuring Gear (1 weight)
Healing Potions (0 weight)
Fancy Hat
Bag of 15 Coins

Bonds

_______________ knows a dark secret about me
I bet I could throw _______________ pretty far
_______________ would make a tasty snack
_______________ bested me at arm wrestling when I was drunk and I will never forget the shame.

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 6, 2014

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Registering interest. No idea what I want to play yet. I'll take a look and see what tales my fancy.

Edit: Made a Mechanic.

Xand

The war had been long. Long and pointless. They had been fighting a god! No one but their leaders thought they had a chance. Xand was just one of many enlisted into the final assault. He was given a basic combat suit and was pointed at the world destroying deity. Unlike the others, Xand had trained as a mechanic, as such he modified his suit. It gave him just enough power to survive to the final moments. When the god had torn a hole in the void and the world and everything else ceased to exist.

Xand had found himself alive in some jungle somewhere. He'd spent weeks just moving from island to island. Looking for any signs of civilisation. By the time he found a town Xand had already come to accept that this must be some form of punishment placed upon him. Now he throws himself at whatever opportunity presents itself to challenge the Inverse world, and spit in the face of God.

quote:

The Mechanic
Name: Xand
Suit name: Biomorphic Mercury Combat Rig (BIOS)
Look: Curious Eyes, Jumpsuit, Grease-stained Skin, Lanky Body

HP: 21/21
Armour: 1 (2 in suit)
Damage: d8

STR: +0 (9)
DEX: +0 (11)
CON: +1 (15)
INT: +2 (17)
WIS: +1 (13)
CHA: -1 (8)

Drive: Unfettered Mayhem (Cause great collateral damage and don't even care.)
Aspect: Research and development (Pick one additional system)
- Primary weapon: Energy Cannon (Near, Piercing 2, 2 ammo. When you Make Camp, restock 2-ammo

STARTING MOVES
Mechanical suit – when you where your mechanical suit, you have 1 armor, and can use the suit as a weapon with a range of close. When you Hack & Slash in your suit, roll +INT instead of +STR.
Your suit is equipped with a variety of unique equipment. Pick one from each list:
Primary Weapon- Full Arsenal (Close. When you attack with this weapon, choose a tag to add to it: Hand, Reach, +1 damage, Forceful, Messy, or Stun)
Movement Method- Rockets (run along the ground at incredible speeds, and take long horizontal leaps)
Advanced Systems- Aiming Systems (When you Volley in your suit, roll +INT instead of +DEX)

Hold Together – when you would take damage while you are in your suit, you may negate that damage by marking Stress on your suit. When your suit takes Stress, mark one of the following:
[] Damaged: Your Movement Methods are disabled. The suit can walk normally
[] Disabled: Your Advanced Systems are disabled. Their bonuses do not apply.
[] Disarmed: Your Primary Weapons are disabled. The suit itself can still be used as a Close weapon
When you make camp, you may unmark one stress to your suit. When every box is marked, your suit is completely destroyed, and it will take a week to rebuild.

Let Me See That- When you take a few moments to handle or examine something interesting, ask the GM two of the following questions. The GM must answer truthfully.
- What does this do?
- Who made this?
- What’s wrong with this, and how might I fix it?
- What has been done most recently with this, or to this?

GEAR – Max Load (10+STR)
- Dungeon rations (5 uses, 1 weight)
- Mechanical suit (8 weight, 0 weight while worn)
- A repair kit (6 uses, slow, 1 weight)
- A wrench (hand, 1 weight)
- Protective Clothing (1 armor, 1 weight)
- Bandages (3 uses, slow, 0 weight)

BONDS

To be added.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 29, 2014

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

"The Stormcrow," Pyotr Marin

Look: Burning eyes, savage hair, toned body, tattered clothing

The Stormcrow is not a man welcome in many places. It isn't that he's violent - though there are always stories. My uncle's friend knows a man who saw the Stormcrow slaughter an entire crew. But the real story - the reason that no one ever remembers that he has a name - is that the Stormcrow is just bad luck. And, to be sure, he does seem to attract danger.

After all, the stormcrows are bad luck. What most don't remember any more is the real reason that the stormcrows are so feared. They're terrible predators, of course, easily able to hunt and kill a person, but they prefer larger, more filling prey. The real reason that stormcrows are bad luck is because some of them aren't animals. A long time ago, a man and a woman made a pact with the First Storm. From them and those that joined them rose the Blackwing Pirates, once the most terrifying scourge of the sky. They hid, transformed, among the stormcrows, and so it was bad luck to see one.

That was before they all died, of course. The Blackwings have been dead for twenty years now, destroyed in a vicious, deadly fire that consumed not only their ship-village but took the lives of every one of them - man, woman and child. Even those away from the "nest" that night died, burned by apparently coincidental fires. Every one of them except one. Pyotr Marin, the last of the Blackwing Pirates - the last of the true Stormcrows.

Twenty years ago, Pyotr Marin saw his mother and father burn. What came out of that fire was the Stormcrow. Now, he travels constantly, seeking something even he cannot truly give words to. He is no pirate - he never got raised to join the raiding parties, and when he does remember his family, it is peaceful times he recalls. Usually in the night - and usually just before they burn to death once more. Whatever it is he looks for, though, it keeps Pyotr going - even cheerful, sometimes. There is something out there. And perhaps if he can look death in the eye and laugh long enough, he can find it. When he does, he'll know what he needed.

The problem, of course, is that this means running headlong into danger. Between that and turning into a giant predator...well, stormcrows are bad luck.

pre:
Level 1 Lycanthrope Survivor

Str 15 (+1)
Dex 09 (+0)
Con 16 (+2)
Int 12 (+0)
Wis 13 (+1)
Cha 08 (-1)

Damage d10
Armor 2
HP: 26/26

Drive: To Stare Death in the Face
Willingly face impossible odds for the thrill of it.

Aspect: God
Choose an extra Eternal Mark.

Animal Form: Stormcrow

Banes: Close to fire, fear, great storms
When affected by a bane, you must immediately change into your animal form and stay in it until the bane no longer affects you.

[Tell: Prominent black feather birthmark on the back.

Eternal Mark
  • A hand bloodied: Your body is a weapon with the Hand and Forceful tags.
  • A heart broken: Take +1 forward against any who insult something you have lost
  • A body scarred: You have +1 armor
Reminders of the Past When you meet a traveler or enemy you've met before (your call), tell the GM of your last encounter with them. The GM will tell you how they've changed since then. When you come across a marked grave, tell the GM who they were and how you knew them. Hold On To What's Precious When you Defend an ally, a friend or something you cherish, gain +1 hold, even on a miss. When you hold something or someone you cherish in your hand and they would be taken, knocked away, moved, broken, or damaged in any way, you can prevent that from happening by taking the effect yourself. Survive When you brace for impact against expected harm, roll +Con. On a 10+, choose two. On a 7-0, choose one.
  • Take half damage, rounded down.
  • Take a debility instead of taking damage. You cannot choose this option if you have all six debilities.
  • Ignore all effects of the attack, other than damage. You are not moved, set on fire, poisoned, restrained, or anything else the attack would have done to you.
  • Take +1 ongoing against the cause of this damage until you have conquered it.
Wild Scent: In animal form you can use the Ranger move Hunt and Track using your keen sense of smell. The Storm Gift: You know a ritual to offer the touch of the First Storm...but only to the dying. When a character uses Last Breath and rolls a 7-9, you may offer them your 'gift' of transformation to a Lycanthrope as though you were death itself. However, you must give of yourself to perform the ritual. The GM will tell you how. Gear: Load 3/26 Armor your parents once wore: Black, burned leather and metal, interwoven with black feathers that are now mostly ragged and burned away. (1 armor, 1 weight) Adventuring gear (5 uses, 1 weight) Bandages (3 uses, slow, 0 weight) Dungeon rations (5 uses, 1 weight)
Bonds
________ knows what I've been through better than most.
________ does not know true suffering like I do.
I saved ______ from a great cataclysm.
I will keep ______ safe from the horrors of the world.

Mark of the First Storm

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 2, 2014

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

It's been brought to my attention that I missed out on my gear. Edited that into my sheet.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
How do you feel about the Tolkien classes (Elf, Dwarf, and Halfling)? I might want to do an Elf.

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK

Spincut posted:

How do you feel about the Tolkien classes (Elf, Dwarf, and Halfling)? I might want to do an Elf.

Honestly it wouldn't really work too well, this is a little odder of a game than the norm.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

PixelScum posted:

Honestly it wouldn't really work too well, this is a little odder of a game than the norm.

Okay! I'll think on it some more then.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Karash, Last Of The Lost
and Home

Their world was ending.

Warnings long ignored, lead to destiny taking its course. A world choked on air that was now more poison than breath, starved as food became more acid than sustenance. There was no hope left. No turning back the clock.

In a sealed tower, the last of the living gathered for their last rites. They prepared to cast a stone into the great ocean of blackness (for it had been so long since anyone had seen the stars...) The Stone contained flora, fauna, and most importantly, the very last of them... the last 10 children to be born. The very last.

There had been no testing. There had been no time. It was the final, desperate gamble. And as the tower unsealed to let it loose into the sky the Lost People plunged their knives into their own chests, knowing that there was nothing left.

The Stone flew on into the void. Then one day, Karash emerged from his learning creche.

He was the child chosen to lead the Last. And so, he had to make the decision to land.

He chose to try.

He failed.

Sealed into his protect pilot's suit, he watched in agony as he was ejected from the plummeting wreck. No testing. No time. The others all burned. Probably. He never found the crash site, somehow. That's what he clings to, in dark nights. Perhaps he didn't find it. Perhaps he didn't look.

These days, he wanders. Anywhere his suit can make things better, he does. It's penance. It's a vigil.

It's the Last he has.

pre:
Mad Eyes, Jumpsuit, Burnt Skin, Lanky Body

STR: +0 (9)
DEX: +1 (13)
CON: +1 (15)
INT: +2 (17)
WIS: +0 (11)
CHA: -1 (8)

Drive:
Saving the Day
Dive into danger to protect someone or something
important.

Home
When you wear your Mechanical Suit, you have
1 Armor, and can use the suit as a weapon with a range
of Close. When you Hack & Slash in your suit, roll
+INT instead of +STR.
Full Arsenal: Close. When you attack with this
weapon, choose a tag to add to it: Hand, Reach, +1
damage, Forceful, Messy, or Stun.
Jumper: Jump incredible heights, and take no
damage from controlled falls.
Shields: When you Defend in your suit, gain 1
additional hold, even on a 6-.

Hold Together
When you would take damage while you are in
your suit, you may negate that damage by marking
Stress on your suit. When your suit takes Stress,
mark one of the following:
 Damaged: Your Movement Methods are disabled.
The suit can still walk normally.
 Disabled: Your Advanced Systems are disabled.
Their bonuses do not apply.
 Disarmed: Your Primary Weapons are disabled.
The suit itself can still be used as a Close weapon.
When you Make Camp, you may unmark one
stress to your suit. When every box is marked, your
suit is completely destroyed, and it will take a week to
rebuild.

Let Me See That
When you take a few moments to handle or
examine something interesting, ask the GM two of
the following questions. The GM must answer
truthfully.
 What does this do?
 Who made this?
 What’s wrong with this, and how might I fix it?
 What has been done most recently with this, or to
this?

Engineering and Mechanics
Your suit is loaded with redundant systems,
and it can take a beating. Add this mark to the Hold
Together move:
 Dinged: You take no penalty for marking this.

Load: 19
You start with dungeon rations (5 uses, 1 weight),
your mechanical suit (8 weight, 0 weight while worn), a
repair kit (6 uses, slow, 1 weight), and a wrench (hand, 1
weight).
 Bag of books (5 uses, 2 weight)
 Bandages (3 uses, slow, 0 weight)

K Prime fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 3, 2014

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
For the record as far as Load goes, I go by the number + Strength score, not mod since it actually works a lot more reasonably (this makes sense because otherwise you have playbooks which start with more gear than they can carry just outright, and not even heavy stuff.)

PixelScum fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 2, 2014

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Alexander, Summoner of Justice

Alexander found his way here to this strange land, by following the cries of what he thought was a hurt child trapped in a cave. He walked and walked through the darkness, letting his spirit ally light the way for him. eventually, the cave sloped upward, and he found himself in this strange land. Finally, this was the adventure of a lifetime, he'd always been looking for.
Alex was always a clumsy boy growing up, retreating into stories of heroes and monsters when he was stricken by his breathing affliction. However, all that changed the day he made his pact with Codeine. Now he had the ability to be like the heroes he'd always read about, but most of the townsfolk weren't having it, as the local guard was incredibly competent. His overeagerness to please tended to irritate people, and there were only so many treed cats one can rescue before getting bored. Alexander has a burning desire to help people, and now he has the chance to really do something about it.

quote:

Alexander
Level 1 Summoner
Eager eyes, messy hair, festival robes

STR 13 (+1)
DEX 08 (-1)
CON 09 (+0)
INT 12 (+0)
WIS 15 (+1)
CHA 16 (+2)

Damage d6
Armor 0
HP 16/16

Drive: The Greater Good
Help someone when it is difficult, inconvenient, or dangerous to do so.

Origin of Spirits

The authority of the ancient pact: All of your spirits gain the Agenda trait
for free.

Form of the Formless

Begin play with one spirit. By default, a manifested spirit is about the size
of a large horse, can carry two riders, and deals 1d8 damage.
Your spirit begins play with four points worth of the following traits.
Record its name, traits, and a simple description:
1 point
*Sacred: The spirit is revered by a certain culture.
Members of that culture will give you respect and hospitality if
they discover your bond with it.
*Born of the Living World: The spirit has a special bond with animals and
can be commanded to negotiate with or influence them.
*Flying
*Tiny: The spirit is small enough to fit in a bag.
*Lesser elemental: The spirit has the ability to manipulate objects or
forces within a chosen element.
*Ranged (near)
*Swarm

2 points
*Elemental: The spirit has the ability to create, destroy,
or manipulate objects or forces within a chosen element.
*Large: The spirit is about as large as a bus.
*Trio
*Agenda: The spirit has some specific nature or objective
which influences its actions.Commands in line with this agenda
are made at +1 (max of +3),
while commands which go against it are made at -1.
*Healing: The spirit can be commanded to heal an ally for an amount
equal to its damage.
*Avatar: The spirit is strongly tied to a specific emotion and
can inspire that emotion in others.
*Stealthy: The spirit can move undetected as long as it doesn’t
draw attention to itself.

Summon
When you attempt to give physical form to one of your spirits,
dismiss any manifested spirits, lose all pact, and roll +wis.
On a 10+, your spirit is summoned and you gain 2 pact. On a 7-9, same,
but gain 1 pact instead of 2.
If your spirit would take damage, lose 1 pact.

Command
When you issue a command to a summoned spirit, Roll +pact. On a 10+, the spirit executes your command without issue. On a 7-9, choose one.
On a miss, lose 1 pact in addition to any other outcomes:
Your spirit is wounded or fatigued, lose 1 pact.
Your spirit executes the command a little too vigorously, causing collateral damage or unintended side-effects.
Your spirit draws unwanted attention to you or to itself.
If you would lose pact and have none, the spirit is immediately dismissed. A spirit needs at least several hours to recover before it can be summoned again.

Gear (3/18)
Ceremonial pipeleaf (6 uses, 0 weight) and a well-stocked collection of poultices and herbs (4 uses, slow, 2 weight)
Ritual Staff (close, two-handed, 1 weight)
A gift from your mentor: Crystal Dowsing Pendant (0 weight)

Spirits
Codeine: Flying, Tiny, Ranged, Lesser Elemental- Plants, Agenda-Helping the Helpless

Codeine is a spirit of compassion and truth, manifesting as being composed of poppy petals. She first manifested when Alexander was felled by a massive asthmatic attack in the flower garden outside his home. As he lay there, gasping for air, he tried in vain to call for help. Luckily for him, Codeine was there to help, responding to his latent magical abilities. She overexerted herself to heal him from the brink of death, and in doing so forged a deep bond between them both. Codeine cannot stand seeing the weak go unaided, and any sort of command to harm or ignore an innocent soul is sure to arouse deep ire.

FewtureMD fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 2, 2014

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

PixelScum posted:

For the record as far as Load guys, I go by the number + Strength score, not mod since it actually works a lot more reasonably (this makes sense because otherwise you have playbooks which start with more gear than they can carry just outright, and not even heavy stuff.)

You can never erase your secret shame, Pixelscum

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK

Green Intern posted:

You can never erase your secret shame, Pixelscum

I will end you.

Also, if anyone's wondering I'll be tying your back stories into the opening post of the actual thread and I don't intend to follow the 'only one of any given playbook allowed' rule DW has, mostly because IW isn't a game where that matters all that much and because two given characters of the same playbook can be completely different rather easily.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
aquila's backstory is that she was an urchin who was good at fight and then she became a gladiator and she's a really nice (little starry-eyed, really) person who didn't mind temporarily maiming people in the ring

and then the emperor hosed up the cosmic bargaining he was doing to take over the world and goodbye world

aquila's not really into this whole actually murdering people thing; not really a personality flaw, but it's hell on her supply of healing stuff.

Sathzur
Nov 19, 2009

Comstock Vance

Comstock and his crew arrived on Scolus when they were chasing a merchant vessel that was desperately trying to reach the safety of the port. Just as they were close enough to grapple onto it the sky turned black as far as the eye could see and indigo lightning streaking across it with no clouds to be seen. Quickly visibility shrunk so as to obscure anything more than twenty feet either side of the ship and then all light vanished and not even a match could be seen held a few inches from a person's nose.

The next thing they knew they were somewhere completely different and the ship listing heavily to the starboard side, after checking that all above deck were accounted for Comstock went below deck to investigate what was causing the severe lean. When he got there he found that most of the cargo they had been carrying had vanished and what was left had shifted to one side causing the ship's imbalance, poking his head above deck he ordered the crew to redistribute the cargo so that the ship would be on an even keel once more.

As the days past the crew settled back into their old routine of intercepting merchant vessels, making off with their goods and selling them on for a profit. The crew also grew and shrunk as time passed with some retiring in the various ports they tied up in and new blood joining them for their own reasons.

pre:
Comstock Vance
Level 1 Captain
Eye patch, Replaced Hand, Lean Body, Patched Together Outfit

STR 15 (+1)
DEX 13 (+1)
CON 12 (+0)
INT 8 (-1)
WIS 16 (+2)
CHA 9 (+1)

Damage d6
Armor 0
HP 18/18

Drive: Responsibility and Respect
Put yourself at risk to protect your ship or your crew.

Background: Pirate
Your ship is renowned as a terror of the skies. You never need to make the Outstanding Warrants move - local officials are too terrified of you to try anything, and everyone has already heard of you and your deeds.

Sail the Skies
You have an airship with a capable crew, able to sail the skies to anywhere you care to go. Your ship has a Control of +0, 3 Stress points, and cannons (2d6 damage or 1 Stress, near, far). 
Your ship follows all the same rules that regular vehicles do. When your ship is entirely destroyed and you need a new one, you can get a new one by spending 2-Trade. 
When a player or crewman needs to make a roll using the ship, roll + Control in place of any stat you would normally roll for the move. 
For example, a player firing the cannons would use the Volley move and roll +Control instead of +DEX. When a player with a Wisdom of 16 or higher rolls +Control, they take +1. 
When anyone deals damage with the cannons, they deal the cannon's damage instead of their damage. 

Choose two of the following enhancements for your ship:
 Agile: Increase your Control by +1.
 Combat Ready: Your cannons deal +1d6 damage.

Captain's Share
When you spend some downtime in a populated area meeting with local merchants and nobles, gain 1-Trade. You can spend 1-Trade in any populated area except the one you got it from to gain one of the following benefits:
 Make the Carouse move, and take +CHA to the roll.
 Fully supply your ship. Unmark all Stress, gain 3-ammo for the cannons, and gain a few months' worth of rations for the crew. 
 Try to sell it - you get an offer for 3d6x10 coin. You may take or decline the offer, but if you decline, you won't get a better offer in this area.

Chart the Course (WIS)
When you plan a route, roll +WIS. On a 10+, hold 3 Map. On a 7-9, hold 2 Map. On a 6-, hold 1 Map, but when you spend it the GM will add a complication. When you make it through, lose all held Map.
You can spend one Map at any time to choose one:
 Reveal a shortcut or detour.
 Point out a safe spot, either to rest at, hide in, or travel through.
 Spout Lore about an expected hazard as if you rolled a 10+.

Gear (8/22)
Dungeon rations (15 uses, 3 weight)
Captain's Leathers (1 armor, 1 weight)
Airship
5 cannon ammo
An officer's rapier (close, precise, 1 weight)
Flintlock pistol (reach, near, +1 damage, reload, 1 weight) with ammo bag (3 ammo, 1 weight)
Adventuring Gear (5 uses, weight 1)
14 coin

Name: The Grim Sunrise
Control: +1
Cannon Damage: 3d6 Ammo: 5
Stress: ⃞ ⃞ ⃞
Map: 1 Trade: 1

Bonds
  • ______ is my first mate.
  • ______ has much to learn about life on the open sky.
  • I wouldn't be here today if it weren't for ______ .
  • ______ hasn't earned the respect of my crew.

Sathzur fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jul 6, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Tables, dude!

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
I'll be making my picks when i wake up on friday morning and then writing the OP which will have quite a bit more effort than the recruit post itself, I promise. (1500 GMT roughly. If you somehow make it before I post but after that cutoff time I won't yell at you or call you a nerd or anything.)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Got the most recent rules for the Golem, so I've updated my sheet.

Also, holy poo poo, the advanced moves are amazing.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010

When the starship Euryale returned home from its shakedown cruise, there was nothing there. No ruins or debris, in fact it was as if the empire had never been. Old friends and enemies alike had never heard of them. The crew tried to investigate, but a battleship without logistical support has a very short lifespan. They made planetfall on Scolus, as such refugees will, and tried to make what lives they could. The Euryale was disassembled for parts and the survivors left with the question of whether their past was anything more than a shared hallucination.

Tazaret was once a promising young navigator, now without a ship she's one more veteran looking for a job. Might as well explore the new world.

quote:

Tazaret
Level 1 Star Mage

Otherworldly hair, alien uniform, lanky body, strange tattoos

STR 09 (+0)
DEX 15 (+1)
CON 12 (+0)
INT 13 (+1)
WIS 16 (+2)
CHA 08 (-1)

Damage 1d6
Armor 1
HP 16
XP 1/8

Drive: To The Stars
Travel a great distance or make preparations to do so

Otherworlder: From The Stars
You were born inside of a star, and took a piece of it with you when you left.
This star piece is a small ball of burning plasma, as large as your fist.
You can hold it, but to everyone else it is just a burning ball.
It is 1-weight and has the tags Hand, Near, Messy, Ignores Armor, and Thrown.

Origami Universe
You are capable of creating small folds in spacetime at will. What these folds look like is
up to you, whether they be small portals, wrinkled space, warped elongations, or some
other spacial effect. When you make use of these folds to extend your reach, anything
you can see within Near range is also considered to be within Hand range of you. You
can touch, manipulate, drop, pick up, or attack any one thing in Near range as if all
intervening space between you did not exist. Be warned - this goes both ways, and what
you reach out to can reach back.

Fold Space (WIS)
When you expand your folds in space to make a portal large enough to walk through,
tell us two points in space that you can see within Near range and roll +WIS.
On a 10+, the spaces become connected - anyone can move from one to the other with
a single step across the folded space, and this fold lasts as long as you need it to.
On a 7-9, the fold is unstable: either only one person can pass through safely, or the fold
is unsafe to use for some reason, the GM will tell you why.
On a 6-, you still make a connection, but it isn't between the places you wanted it to be.
The GM will tell you what went wrong.

When the Stars Align
You are able to read the stars and create a prophecy of things to come.
When you Make Camp under the open sky, instead of healing, you may stay up all night reading the stars for a prophecy.
This prophecy will tell you about a grim portent that will come to pass unless you do something about it,
but the prophecy is vague. Choose two things that the prophecy actually tells you:
• You get the name of someone involved in the event to come.
• You get a clear mental picture of the event's location.
• You get an idea of what action will trigger the event.
• You get a vision of the event's aftermath.

Gear
6/16
Dungeon Rations (4 uses, 1 weight)
Service Pistol (near, 1 weight) and ammo (3 uses, 1 weight)
Ultra-light armor (1 armor, 0 weight) and a combat knife (hand, 1 weight)
Interstitial Guidance Core (hand, near, messy, ignores armor, thrown, 1 weight)
Bizarre adventuring gear (5 uses, 1 weight). When you use this gear,
describe how the equipment varies from mundane equipment.

Bonds
The Stormcrow finds me unnatural. Which, all things considered, is pretty hilarious. Or it would be if he weren't capable of ripping me limb from limb.
Svetlanka DuBrovna lacks the vision necessary to see the world as I do. Submission to the gods is all well and good, but there's more to life than service.
Avadin Arteka and I share a common past. I could have sworn I saw her in the crowd before we left the Capital. But that's impossible...
Every rank amateur thinks he can dual-wield, usually before he shoots himself in the foot. Sagacious Leung seems to be the exception.

Double Plus Undead fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 23, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, while my internet going out, a power outage, and some computer problems over the past week or so resulted in me losing progress on my app several times (which was also rather demoralizing), I have all the mechanical aspects up there, and am working on typing out more than a mere summary of a backstory. Sorry this took so long.

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
I changed my mind earlier when I was doing some pre-writing and I've opted to take Hashtags, Green Intern, Error 404, Lurks With Wolves, Mors Rattus, K Prime, FewtureMD, Double Plus Undead, Roland Jones (plot reasons for 9 instead of 7.)

That being said what I'm going to do is choose Error 404 to be the "Leader." IC this means pretty much nothing and you can ignore it but OOC it means whenever there's a group decision to be made Error 404 only gets to vote in case there's a tie.

Either way, fill out your bonds and I'll post the new thread.

For everyone else: If I have anyone drop, you're all on my short list as a back up.

PixelScum fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 11, 2014

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

What a pleasant surprise to wake up to from my nap on my bus home from work. Let the bonding commence!

Who wants to get in good with a metal man?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

PixelScum posted:

I changed my mind earlier when I was doing some pre-writing and I've opted to take Hashtags, Green Intern, Error 404, Lurks With Wolves, Mors Rattus, K Prime, FewtureMD, Double Plus Undead, Roland Jones (plot reasons for 9 instead of 7.)

That being said what I'm going to do is choose Error 404 to be the "Leader." IC this means pretty much nothing and you can ignore it but OOC it means whenever there's a group decision to be made Error 404 only gets to vote in case there's a tie.

Either way, fill out your bonds and I'll post the new thread.

Fyi, I totally recommend ignoring me. :v:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Just for reference, here's a shortlist of everyone's characters:

• Hashtags - Arcturus (Lantern)
  • Green Intern - Nameless Golem (Golem)
  • Error 404 - Svetlanka DuBrovna, Itinerant Battle-Cleric of the Militant Order of Torthanc. (often just called the Order) (Cleric)
  • Lurks With Wolves - Sagacious Leung, Apostate of The Temple Ephemeral (Initiate)
  • Mors Rattus - "The Stormcrow," Pyotr Marin (Survivor)
  • K Prime - Karash, Last Of The Lost and Home (Mechanic)
  • FewtureMD - Alexander, Summoner of Justice (Summoner)
  • Double Plus Undead - Tazaret (Star Mage)
  • Roland Jones - Avadin Arteka, the Timekeeper (Clock Mage)

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
Here's my bonds:

I must show the truths of the world to The Nameless.
I don't think Pyotr is as fond of the light as I am.
Svetlanka knows the secret I've been hiding forgot.
Alexander shines so bright that they hardly need me to light the path for them.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Bonds at present, though they may change if I have better ideas.

Karash knows what I've been through better than most. To be the last...but at least he doesn't have to remember their faces. Their screams. Still, he knows that pain more than anyone else.

Alexander does not know true suffering like I do. He's naive beyond belief, like a child. He won't be able to stay that way, no matter what we do to keep him alive.

I saved Svetlanka DuBrovna from a great cataclysm. I felt something like - like a kinship to her? The mark on her, the stories I've heard...but still... We're different. We're very different. But there's something.

I will keep Avadin Arteka safe from the horrors of the world. She's strange. Bookish. She seems to think she's apart from all this. Fine, but someone needs to keep her alive.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Oh look, I found some Bonds just laying around:

I will not tolerate Svetlanka’s disrespect of my spirits!
Leung seems to know more about my spirits than they really should.
I owe Karash my life.
I believe that Tazaret could be a worthy successor, with training.

• Locked thread