Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GlennBeckistan
Jun 2, 2009

Arghy posted:

Yes they literally do have revenge builds that they will pull out if you keep killing them
Its true. The DA revenge build used to be a secret, but Wrel accidentally got access to our members-only subforum, stole it, and published it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqrbmoD7xmQ

GlennBeckistan fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

I love flying a lib on Hossin. Everyone get in my lib. Is reload speed for the Zepher actually worth it, or a ridiculous cert-sink?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Azerban posted:

I love flying a lib on Hossin. Everyone get in my lib. Is reload speed for the Zepher actually worth it, or a ridiculous cert-sink?

Yes.

Just depends on what you have already and how much you fly it. I maxed mine out only after the dalton nerf. It's not required to be effective by any stretch.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
That "SummerReward" code gave me a golden gun, maybe they gave me the one from Goldeneye?

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

It will say "Golden Gun" when you register it on the site, but in reality it will give you an NS-11P. Unless you actually got a golden gun, in which case :wtc:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

New thread title doesn't say "Are Swamp", voted 1.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Manslaughter posted:

New thread title doesn't say "Are Swamp", voted 1.

our = ARE is NC exclusive and we're trying to be inclusive of the lesser factions

dont be a moran

v v v you seem to be exceptionally defensive about I don't even know what but I suggest 2mg of Chillax with a Sizzurp chaser. Sorry you didn't have fun on the one night you played NC when there weren't any alerts and none of the main leaders of the main outfits were on I guess? v v v

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 30, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

our = ARE is NC exclusive and we're trying to be inclusive of the lesser factions

dont be a moran

good joke i hope it catches on :downs:

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Is it possible to rez yourself with your own rez grenades? Every so often, usually at a point defense, I'll see that I'm reviving myself and I'll see my character sit up, but I'll never have the option to accept the rez.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Azerban posted:

Is it possible to rez yourself with your own rez grenades? Every so often, usually at a point defense, I'll see that I'm reviving myself and I'll see my character sit up, but I'll never have the option to accept the rez.

Nope! In fact if you die right after you throw it and you see your character get up as though they're waiting on a revive, it bugs you out and you cannot be revived at all! It is but one of the things preventing medics from having 6+ KDRs. It doesn't happen as often as you'd think though

edit -

Bwahahahahahaha
http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/29h2vf/mbt_ai_turrets_nope_no_problem_here/

inb4 "just strafe!"

edit - more monthly stat dumps, some pretty alarming stuff!

http://imgur.com/a/m6tlC

tl;dr:
Prowler #1, Magrider #2, Vanguard #3 just like it's always been, except now it's even in vehicle kills. All Vanguard guns are now the worst performing at everything. The Enforcer edges out the Saron by 0.27kpu and all are eclipsed by the Halberd.

Also this whole thing is a big "nerf the PPA" because if the C85 and Marauder performed that well it'd be release all over again.

I post this to preempt the posts we're all going to be seeing saying that the PPA should be absurdly OP because the Magrider is poo poo. Fact is the Magrider isn't worst at anything at all. Not a single thing. The Vanguard is though

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 30, 2014

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

vigorous sodomy posted:

All airsperg chat should be prefaced with a trigger warning from now on.

Thanks.

Every single one of your posts should be prefaced with tia

West007
Apr 21, 2013

But Not Tonight posted:

Every single one of your posts should be prefaced with tia

Confirmed.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
Clearly everything about the Vanguard, besides the modified enforcer, needs to be buffed in order to compensate for this statistically low representation. It worked for the Viper.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

folgore posted:

Clearly everything about the Vanguard, besides the modified enforcer, needs to be buffed in order to compensate for this statistically low representation. It worked for the Viper.

No I'm pretty happy with the Vanguard. As far as raw kills including infantry goes, the NC levels out when you include all AI weaponry because we just pull something else. The Magrider is a stupid tank that I hate and the Prowler is a lunchbox of despair for me

Plus my argument wasn't that the representation was low, but rather it's uniformly the worst across the board on a per user per hour per day basis (KPU), which your point doesn't address.

The representation isn't even that much lower for the Vanguard?

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
I don't have a point, it was just poking fun at that bizarre buff to the Viper many months ago and the fact that the modified will probably continue to languish in a state of uselessness indefinitely.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Arghy posted:

Hes got loving way more time in this game then you and his game looks like poo poo because its entirely geared towards making him kill you before you kill him.

Are there scripts that allow you to lower model quality to N64 levels? I'd like to be able to participate in larger firefights but my framerate likes to tank.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

folgore posted:

I don't have a point, it was just poking fun at that bizarre buff to the Viper many months ago and the fact that the modified will probably continue to languish in a state of uselessness indefinitely.

Ah, well at least they didn't go all Liberator and give it baffling buffs and then the long overdue nerfs, and instead just reverted everything

Personally I still pull Viper when I'm not pulling a Skyguard. It's still quite good at what it does.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Nope! In fact if you die right after you throw it and you see your character get up as though they're waiting on a revive, it bugs you out and you cannot be revived at all! It is but one of the things preventing medics from having 6+ KDRs. It doesn't happen as often as you'd think though

edit -

Bwahahahahahaha
http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/29h2vf/mbt_ai_turrets_nope_no_problem_here/

inb4 "just strafe!"

edit - more monthly stat dumps, some pretty alarming stuff!

http://imgur.com/a/m6tlC

tl;dr:
Prowler #1, Magrider #2, Vanguard #3 just like it's always been, except now it's even in vehicle kills. All Vanguard guns are now the worst performing at everything. The Enforcer edges out the Saron by 0.27kpu and all are eclipsed by the Halberd.

Also this whole thing is a big "nerf the PPA" because if the C85 and Marauder performed that well it'd be release all over again.

I post this to preempt the posts we're all going to be seeing saying that the PPA should be absurdly OP because the Magrider is poo poo. Fact is the Magrider isn't worst at anything at all. Not a single thing. The Vanguard is though
Really? the king of destroying enemy armor to the point that any armored vehicle retreats at the sight of one is good at nothing? The magrider with its catapult like main gun that cant hit a moving target at 500m is perfectly fine? Have you started playing TR as your main because only they can say the vanguard is terrible with a straight face haha.

dromer posted:

Are there scripts that allow you to lower model quality to N64 levels? I'd like to be able to participate in larger firefights but my framerate likes to tank.

Vonic posted his graphics settings but basically no shadows at all and everything was stark so it would be impossible to not see someone.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Arghy posted:

Really? the king of destroying enemy armor to the point that any armored vehicle retreats at the sight of one is good at nothing? The magrider with its catapult like main gun that cant hit a moving target at 500m is perfectly fine? Have you started playing TR as your main because only they can say the vanguard is terrible with a straight face haha.

Good thing I never said the Vanguard is terrible, in fact I quite like the Vanguard and don't want it to change at all. Also no gun in this game can reliably hit targets at 500m in any context. Well, except for a few VS ones, but no sense in mentioning those right?

You can point out that PPA/HEAT Magriders get stomped into a paste by AP/AP/armor Vanguards but so what? The Magrider still kills more vehicles than the Vanguard does, which reinforces just how pointless being good at 1v1 is in this game in the grand scheme of things.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

dromer posted:

Leal is the goon that would basically do that. The screenshots he used to post of his game looked so comically bad that I started to believe he was running them through photoshop filters as a joke, but maybe he has some secrets to share in this thread.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Good thing I never said the Vanguard is terrible, in fact I quite like the Vanguard and don't want it to change at all. Also no gun in this game can reliably hit targets at 500m in any context. Well, except for a few VS ones, but no sense in mentioning those right?

You can point out that PPA/HEAT Magriders get stomped into a paste by AP/AP/armor Vanguards but so what? The Magrider still kills more vehicles than the Vanguard does, which reinforces just how pointless being good at 1v1 is in this game in the grand scheme of things.

quote:

Fact is the Magrider isn't worst at anything at all. Not a single thing. The Vanguard is though

The magrider is worst at fighting armor, the vanguard is just as effect at farming dudes as the prowler if your counting on them using only their main guns because their AI secondaries are terrible. The magrider isn't good its the PPA that is good, its HEAT/HE gun isn't some amazing magical gun.

If you want to compare global stats you need to compare the variable of personal skill, on the stat pages TR guns and the lancer are doing poo poo because no one uses them should they be buffed? Just because players are making the magrider work doesn't mean its this crazy good tank. You need to look at the fact that its the only unique tank in the game and a blast to drive.

I get vehicle kills in my mag because i let VS infantry and air do my AV work while i steal the kill and hide--if a vanguard/prowler sees me and i dont have allys to hide behind i'm dead and every single mag driver can attest to this.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Arghy posted:

The magrider is worst at fighting armor, the vanguard is just as effect at farming dudes as the prowler if your counting on them using only their main guns because their AI secondaries are terrible. The magrider isn't good its the PPA that is good, its HEAT/HE gun isn't some amazing magical gun.

If you want to compare global stats you need to compare the variable of personal skill, on the stat pages TR guns and the lancer are doing poo poo because no one uses them should they be buffed? Just because players are making the magrider work doesn't mean its this crazy good tank. You need to look at the fact that its the only unique tank in the game and a blast to drive.

I get vehicle kills in my mag because i let VS infantry and air do my AV work while i steal the kill and hide--if a vanguard/prowler sees me and i dont have allys to hide behind i'm dead and every single mag driver can attest to this.

I'd be interested to see how you'd quantify user skill over tens of thousands of users. I know it's a fun refrain but the average VS is no better than the average TR/NC, it's simply impossible for that to be the case. You have your poo poo zerg fits and the VS are the laughingstock of most servers you know

And yes, the Vanguard is the worst at doing things, but that doesn't mean it's bad (because the difference is often relatively minor) and - most importantly - it meshes well with what I need a tank to do given how I use them. It's the reverse of ESFs, which do not operate how I use aircraft so I hate them.

I'd be interested to see what evidence you have to support your theories, however until that comes forth the fact is that the Vanguard is still the worst tank to pull if you're looking to make other vehicles dead. Probably this is due to my previous assertion that CQC 1v1 means jack poo poo in this game (otherwise we'd all use pump actions 24/7) and being more mobile or having raw DPS will be the better things to be the best at

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 30, 2014

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Those stat pulls are always so weird. The leader purchasers for new weapons appear to be the ultraspergs who get insane KPUs and KPHs with them, but as more people buy the guns and use them their numbers drop to sane levels. The Terminus overperformance is almost certainly the result of VS finally getting one good AR and every single Auraxium chaser using it, not that the TORQ/Tross aren't also doing a little too well. If you look at the carbine stats you can already see how the Zenith/Bandit/Cougar/Lynx have settled into more sensible ranges (although all of them are still quite high-performing).

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nakar posted:

Those stat pulls are always so weird. The leader purchasers for new weapons appear to be the ultraspergs who get insane KPUs and KPHs with them, but as more people buy the guns and use them their numbers drop to sane levels. The Terminus overperformance is almost certainly the result of VS finally getting one good AR and every single Auraxium chaser using it, not that the TORQ/Tross aren't also doing a little too well. If you look at the carbine stats you can already see how the Zenith/Bandit/Cougar/Lynx have settled into more sensible ranges (although all of them are still quite high-performing).

Yeah you've gotta ignore the top and bottom pretty much, unless they've got a big user base. I did enjoy seeing how the 3 new ARs settled into line with relative usefulness. The Terminus is the best AR for the VS, hands down, so it's #1. The TORQ is a bullshit powerful gun in a lineup of bullshit powerful guns, and thus is only #2, the Tross is viewed as a niche sidegrade to the (admittedly excellent) Reaper so there's no real NEED to use it, and thus it is #3.

I have used the Gauss Rifle Burst. I've even auraxiumed the Gauss Rifle Burst. The Gauss Rifle Burst is the worst AR in the game, and yet it ranks in the top 5

The Terminus really is a drat fine gun though, though I'm not sure I'd choose it over a Carnage

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Unless you can show me stats showing how long each tank stays alive and what kills it the most you cant argue that magriders get a ton of kills because their aggressive and vanguards end up getting killed by armor counters(armor is not a counter to armor). We wont get stats like that unless a dev wants to come in here and post them, until then we can go by personal experience.

Everyone in GOKU can attest that when we see another tank in our magriders we hide because the magrider is not an anti armor tank. We do not see a line of armor and go PULL MAGRIDERS! We see the absence of enemy armor and then pull PPA mags farming unopposed. I've seen NC/TR push up with aggressive armor wiping out all the spawns and armor and unless we have friendly libs around we usually lose the outside to enemy armor.

From personal experience i mostly see AP prowlers/vanguards so yes when you see enemy armor theres a better chance its geared towards anti armor work hence being better at killing armor. You can attest that most mags you see are geared towards farming infantry.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Arghy posted:

Unless you can show me stats showing how long each tank stays alive and what kills it the most you cant argue that magriders get a ton of kills because their aggressive and vanguards end up getting killed by armor counters(armor is not a counter to armor). We wont get stats like that unless a dev wants to come in here and post them, until then we can go by personal experience.

Everyone in GOKU can attest that when we see another tank in our magriders we hide because the magrider is not an anti armor tank. We do not see a line of armor and go PULL MAGRIDERS! We see the absence of enemy armor and then pull PPA mags farming unopposed. I've seen NC/TR push up with aggressive armor wiping out all the spawns and armor and unless we have friendly libs around we usually lose the outside to enemy armor.

From personal experience i mostly see AP prowlers/vanguards so yes when you see enemy armor theres a better chance its geared towards anti armor work hence being better at killing armor. You can attest that most mags you see are geared towards farming infantry.

Well if armor isn't a counter to armor, AV ability of the Magrider one way or the other is irrelevant and you've just kicked the legs out from under your entire argument

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

I know this seems melodramatic but I'm probably going to have to stop playing if Hossin becomes the defacto continent of choice. The constant fog that is everywhere fucks with my half-blind hosed up eye so much I can't see a god-damned thing at anything past 20 metres or so, it causes IRNV to just be totally washed out to me, and there's no way to tone it down.

Oh, and with cont lock in play now, I can't play on the maps without fog most of the time.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I don't know why those stats are showing like they do, or what they entail. All I know is that when I see armor in my magrider, I hide. I have tried to pull a Saron mag, but at best I can maybe pull off an armor kill in a mag, even getting the drop on people.

It isn't a useful or even really fun anti-armor weapon like the other two tanks are. Its better to just pull a 1/2 magrider with a PPA and treat it like a really big lasher. I would honestly be fine with a PPA nerf and some other buff to AV. At this point, PPAs are really just used to farm people which is fun but not really useful.

eonwe fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 30, 2014

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Epic High Five posted:

I have used the Gauss Rifle Burst. I've even auraxiumed the Gauss Rifle Burst. The Gauss Rifle Burst is the worst AR in the game, and yet it ranks in the top 5
Burst weapons are always overrepresented on stat pulls arrayed around KPU or KPH, for several reasons:
  • Small user numbers. 55/47/41 unique users vs. 333/486/339 on the new ARs or 2479/2765/1951 for the defaults (also heh 500 fewer Pulsar users). This means each user's stats count for way more.
  • Low usage time. People get big killstreaks with them and shelve them.
  • High Q4 representation. Q4KPU is almost 10 higher than average KPU for burst variant ARs, where 3-5 is the expected increase when any other AR is used by a high-BR player.
  • This is speculative but I'm pretty sure these guns are used by people who are cheating or, at the most generous, click-scripting.
High-BR players using auto-click scripts and being the only people putting up numbers will turn out ridiculous unrealistic numbers. I'm not sure why the SABR isn't the same way, probably because the SABR is a legit weapon for non-scripters and so people use it normally which drags the numbers down to reasonable levels.

Although it's worth noting that if you can get over the burst mechanic and FSRM shenanigans the burst variants are the statistically superior weapons in terms of horizontal recoil characteristics and COFs.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nakar posted:

Burst weapons are always overrepresented on stat pulls arrayed around KPU or KPH, for several reasons:
  • Small user numbers. 55/47/41 unique users vs. 333/486/339 on the new ARs or 2479/2765/1951 for the defaults (also heh 500 fewer Pulsar users). This means each user's stats count for way more.
  • Low usage time. People get big killstreaks with them and shelve them.
  • High Q4 representation. Q4KPU is almost 10 higher than average KPU for burst variant ARs, where 3-5 is the expected increase when any other AR is used by a high-BR player.
  • This is speculative but I'm pretty sure these guns are used by people who are cheating or, at the most generous, click-scripting.
High-BR players using auto-click scripts and being the only people putting up numbers will turn out ridiculous unrealistic numbers. I'm not sure why the SABR isn't the same way, probably because the SABR is a legit weapon for non-scripters and so people use it normally which drags the numbers down to reasonable levels.

Although it's worth noting that if you can get over the burst mechanic and FSRM shenanigans the burst variants are the statistically superior weapons in terms of horizontal recoil characteristics and COFs.

They're tough to get over, though

I always figured they were higher because the only people using them are prestige BR100's just grinding out the Auraxium pipeline. People who are already really good at the game

In my experience, click scripters prefer battle rifle HAs

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Can someone give me the rundown on what the niche for Battle Rifles are? I've only ever used them in VR, so I'm wondering if they are really useful. I get that they are pretty accurate even at a decent range, but I'm wondering if the damage is bad enough to make it not really worth it.

I can pretty reliably click heads if that makes a difference.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Epic High Five posted:

In my experience, click scripters prefer battle rifle HAs
I'm actually surprised by that because BRs are not that hard to use at decent ROFs non-scripted and my, ahem, intimate knowledge of the subject has generally told me that you're better off not quite reaching the maximum sustainable ROF on BRs and semi-auto Scout Rifles, as their performance actually tanks slightly compared to more measured tapping.

The place where click-scripting has advantages is in high-RPM guns that can't reach max click speed consistently under normal conditions. The Repeater, Inquisitor, Beamer, and burst variants primarily.

Eonwe posted:

Can someone give me the rundown on what the niche for Battle Rifles are? I've only ever used them in VR, so I'm wondering if they are really useful. I get that they are pretty accurate even at a decent range, but I'm wondering if the damage is bad enough to make it not really worth it.

I can pretty reliably click heads if that makes a difference.
  • Higher damage option at range for Engineers who are otherwise locked to Carbines.
  • Higher accuracy option at range for Heavy Assaults who are otherwise locked to LMGs.
  • Superior moving ADS COF to LMGs and even most Carbines, allowing for better strafe performance.
They're basically superfluous for Medics, ARs are better than BRs in almost every sense and every faction except maybe the VS has an option that is straight-up better (Tross or SABR, basically). I like them, but they're an acquired taste and very very niche. Using BRs as a HA is fun but probably never better than using an LMG.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

West007 posted:

Confirmed.

If only this was in GBS so I could empty quote this 5 times in a row.

dromer posted:

Do you really want to do this?

EDIT have some more

Leal fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 30, 2014

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oh my god its like someone is playing Planetside 2 in the Unreal engine. Or maybe like, Planetside 2 - mobile version.

eonwe fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 30, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

holy poo poo that hurts my eyes just to look at it

What resolution? edit: I see it now, I just saw the really small pic and thought that was your actual res

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Well if armor isn't a counter to armor, AV ability of the Magrider one way or the other is irrelevant and you've just kicked the legs out from under your entire argument

:psyduck: which was your argument to begin with, checkmate puppet master!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Arghy posted:

My AP Magrider is a Prowler Destroyer, I can handle them easily since they're only a threat if both shots land consistently. It's the loving Vanguards that are the problem. They can just eat way too much punishment, they're very much idiot-proof.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Epic High Five posted:

I'd be interested to see what evidence you have to support your theories, however until that comes forth the fact is that the Vanguard is still the worst tank to pull if you're looking to make other vehicles dead.

Hahahahahaha what the gently caress, do you even read what you post sometimes? You're saying the tank with the highest health pool, highest armor, AND an almost-invulnerability shield, coupled with the best damage AP cannons with highest muzzle velocity is the worst at killing other vehicles? :roflolmao:

But Not Tonight fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 1, 2014

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

I'd be interested to see what evidence you have to support your theories, however until that comes forth the fact is that the Vanguard is still the worst tank to pull if you're looking to make other vehicles dead.

This is the funniest thing ever posted in a Planetside 2 thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

But Not Tonight posted:

Hahahahahaha what the gently caress, do you even read what you post sometimes? You're saying the tank with the highest health pool, highest armor, AND an almost-invulnerability shield, couple with the best damage AP cannons with highest muzzle velocity is the worst at killing other vehicles? :roflolmao:

And it got buffed recently too! The Vanguard is NC's CARV, it's loving amazing and the players who use it are absolutely convinced it's a steaming turd.

• Locked thread