Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Can I move through rooms that currently contain zombies without having to fight them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

QuantumNinja posted:

Can I move through rooms that currently contain zombies without having to fight them?

I think - and that's a big think - that since you wouldn't be moving through the same square you're okay, I think you only fight them to move on if you're in the same square of the map and the entrance hallway is technically three separate squares.

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
If you can't take turns out of sequence then you could both meet at the staircase? zombies only move 1 right and they are not in your way at all? Then you'd technically be prepared in the next round

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Lager posted:

I think - and that's a big think - that since you wouldn't be moving through the same square you're okay, I think you only fight them to move on if you're in the same square of the map and the entrance hallway is technically three separate squares.

From my memory of the rules, yeah, it's on a per square basis, so as long as you aren't entering the same space, you move unimpeded. You can also go through a room with enemies, but it takes an additional move to leave for each enemy in the space.

Also, I hope this game manages to turn out as well as one of the times I played with some friends, which ended with little Timmy shooting up adrenaline and blowing up an old man with a stick of dynamite.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
I can't see that there is any rule that says that in the book, so I would say you can move through squares with Monsters without fighting them, unless you choose to stop there.

Also, I choose to let the heroes all act simultaneously without needing to stick rigidly to turn order for the moment, since every one would be taking their turn before the Traitor does anyway.

What I will also say is, Monsters have to roll for their movement every turn so, they won't always move the same amount of spaces each turn.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

TheNabster posted:

I can't see that there is any rule that says that in the book, so I would say you can move through squares with Monsters without fighting them, unless you choose to stop there.

Also, I choose to let the heroes all act simultaneously without needing to stick rigidly to turn order for the moment, since every one would be taking their turn before the Traitor does anyway.

What I will also say is, Monsters have to roll for their movement every turn so, they won't always move the same amount of spaces each turn.

It does take more movement to get out though, right?

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Byers2142 posted:

It does take more movement to get out though, right?

Yes, that does seem to be the case, that rule was tucked away in a little box, it does say you must move one extra space for every opponent in the room with you, but it doesn't say anything about moving through the room, only moving out of it. But I assume it will cost extra actions to move through a room with lots of Monsters in it.

It also says that a monster or player can always move at least one space, if they are not otherwise disabled

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

The way I saw it played before, it was a single movement to enter, and 1 + monsters movement to leave. So to pass through a square with 4 zombies would cost 6 movement, and still leave you just a room away from them.

Whose turn is it, anyway? I've lost track.

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
I think we're waiting for confirmation of how track star and single mom are going to meet up for some action and if we can pew pew that zombie oval office

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

stevey666 posted:

I think we're waiting for confirmation of how track star and single mom are going to meet up for some action and if we can pew pew that zombie oval office

Zombie gentleman, please. There are children in this loving house.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Okay so, here is the turns as it stands

Byers2142 and oldskool have uncovered new rooms in the house

stevey666 has raided the vault, gone up through the collapsed room and handed the Revolver off to Lager

QuantumNinja runs from the dining room to the Kitchen and will drop the Medallion.

Lager will then, run to the Kitchen, grab the Medallion, run up stairs, and take a shot at the Zombie Lord?

This is what you are going to do Hero team?

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

I support this plan 100%.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

If there are no objections, I will just be waiting on ActingPowers turn, I pinged him how much his Zombies and himself can move for the turn.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
I also support the Dirty Harry Track Star plan!

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

First a confession, I have not been doing damage rolls correctly, when you take a point of physical damage as an explorer, only one of the stats goes down, not both of them. Keep this in mind in the up coming turn.

TURN 4 HEROES

The team spring into action

Team Hero's turn starts with stevey666 falling down a coal chute and ending up in the Basement. Deciding that whilst she was here she might as well try and crack the vault, she makes an attempt

(Mister Chuck(Traitor) rolled 6 dice for 7. (0,0,2,1,2,2))

And succeeds, from her choice of spoils, she grabs the Revolver and the Rope. Climbing back up through the collapsed room with her Rope, she quickly hands the Revolver off to Lager

QuantumNinja meanwhile, runs to the kitchen with the Medallion in tow. She drops the Medallion on the ground for Lager, and brandishes her spear at the ready

With all eyes on Lager he takes the Revolver, grabs the Medallion from the Kitchen, and hoofs it up the stairs with all the speed that years of running track have allowed, lining up a shot to the recently turned ActingPower, he pulls the trigger.

* Mister Chuck(Traitor) rolled 8 dice for 8. (2,0,2,0,2,1,0,1)
* Mister Chuck(Traitor) rolled 3 dice for 4. (1,2,1)
The attacker inflicts 4 Damage

The zombie lord attempts to move, but not fast enough, the bullet hits him square in the chest, knocking him back a step. But he straightens himself up and lurches forward.

Meanwhile, the children are off on their own search. oldskool, in an attempt to find a way around the stairs, instead finds the Graveyard. Trapped in a dead end, the boy attempts to find a way out, but uncovers a hidden alcove of items instead!

quote:

I forgot to add the event that triggered here when I rebuilt the map, but basically it was a +4 knowledge check, that if succeeded gave you an item, and if failed, made you lose 1 Sanity. Your choice of items are as follows

Lucky Stone Don't like a roll? Use this item and make that roll again! By choosing which dice you want to reroll, and only rerolling them. Discard after use
Healing Salve like the Smelling Salts, but for Physical stats instead of Mental ones. Discard After use
Dynamite Light the fuse and throw to make zombies disappear. Chuck into an adjacent room and everything that can't make a 5+ Speed roll takes 4 points of Physical damage. Discard after use

Take note that the Graveyard requires 4+ sanity check when you leave, which if you fail you lose 1 Knowledge

Byers2142 started off in a bad situation, but luckily, she found the famous Mystic Elevator in the very next room she entered. Hopping on board and frantically pushing all the buttons she can reach, the elevator takes her to the south door of the Bloody room where Lager formally was. Heading east from there, Something Slimey attempts to grab hold of her foot, but she shakes it loose and gains 1 speed!

quote:

Lucky break, the Mystic Elevator is a unique room, in that it can take you to almost any point in the house, randomly for the most part but it's a very handy way around the house (and away from horrible monsters)

TRAITORS TURN

The horde shambles into action! The conservatory zombies hobble up the stairs towards Lager. Whilst the horde in the front Entrance surround QuanticNinja!

The Zombie Lord, not appreciating the shot he just took, walks up to Lager and punches him in the face (Mister Chuck(Traitor) rolled 7 dice for 6. (2,0,2,0,2,0,0))
Lager, manages to not explode on impact from the Zombie's massive strength, but only just, the blow sends a painful shock up his shoulder ( Mister Chuck(Traitor) rolled 3 dice for 5. (2,1,2) )
The attacker inflicts 1 Physical damage.

Meanwhile, as the conservatory zombies shamble up the stairs towards Lager, QuantumNinja is mobbed by the group from the Entrance Hall.

The first Zombie comes at her gnashing it's rotten teeth. (Mister Chuck(Traitor) rolled 5 dice for 4. (1,1,0,1,1) )
But Ninja keeps it at bay with her Spear (Mister Chuck(Traitor) rolled 4 dice for 4. (2,1,0,1) )
Tie

The second zombie shambles in from her side (Mister Chuck(Traitor) rolled 5 dice for 2. (0,1,1,0,0) )
But Ninja in a flash, takes it's head off in a single swing! ( Mister Chuck(Traitor) rolled 4 dice for 6. (2,2,0,2) )
Defender inflicts 4 Damage

The third zombie rushes in behind his headless friend (Mister Chuck(Traitor) rolled 5 dice for 6. (2,1,0,2,1) )
Caught off guard, the Zombie takes a chunk out of her shoulder! (Mister Chuck(Traitor) rolled 4 dice for 2. (0,1,0,1) )
Attacker inflicts 4 Physical Damage

The forth zombie attempts to move in for the kill! Mister Chuck(Traitor) rolled 5 dice for 5. (0,2,0,1,2)
But Ninja manages to strike it does before it can do so! Mister Chuck(Traitor) rolled 4 dice for 6. (0,2,2,2)
The Defender inflicts 1 Damage

Ninja remains standing, but she has taken a big hit, another hit like that and she will be dead.

quote:

As you can see, the Zombies are quite strong, but die in one hit. Whilst the Zombie Lord is Manly McBeefing Muscles and Lager should be very thankful that he isn't a smear across the Organ Room floor right now.

Lager you must decrease one of your physical stats by 1. Quantic you must take away 4 from your physical stats. You can do it like 3 Speed and 1 Might or 2 Speed and 2 Might, but you are in very thin ice.

TURN 5 BEGINS

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 3, 2014

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
Do we know how much more the zombie master guy can take before he dies (again)?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Give me the Healing Salve & QuantumNinja meet up with me ASAP

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

stevey666 posted:

Do we know how much more the zombie master guy can take before he dies (again)?

You do not

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

You are free to post your actions by the way, I am heading to bed.

EDIT: Morning everyone, no one has posted yet. Though one of the actions I assume Lager will take at least is "Shoot the Zombie Lord in the face"

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jul 4, 2014

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Track Star - Turn Five Instructions

Now I'm pissed - the Zombie Lord just punched me! I pop my jaw back into place, level the gun again and fire a shot pointblank, straight at his eyes.

Sorry it took a while, my ISP is apparently having issues connecting to the forums. Had to switch the DNS to be able to access.

quote:

Speed= X 4 4 4 5 6 [7] 7 8
Might= X 2 [3] 3 4 5 6 6 7
Sanity= X 1 2 [3] 4 5 5 5 7
Knowledge= X 2 3 3 4 [5] 5 5 7

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

I might as well process his turn right away, for if his attack succeeds, the game is over right there.

Lager Takes the shot!

* Mister Chuck(Traitor) rolled 8 dice for 7. (1,0,2,0,2,0,2,0)
* Mister Chuck(Traitor) rolled 3 dice for 3. (1,2,0)
Attack dealers 4 Damage

The Zombie Lord Jucks, Jives, and Jinks to avoid getting shot in the face, but Lager just fires a few more times just to make sure. The Lord, attempting to reconstitute his form, grasps, snarls, and screetchs, but as the flesh peels off his bones and his eyes roll from their sockets, he melts into a pile of gore, and rots away into naught but bones and dust.

The rest of the Zombies stop, and collapse slowly, as the unnatural life energies that animated them seep away. The party is scared, and battered, but alive. They have defeated the house

HEROES WIN

The noise of flesh being rent by those corpse grey hands... The horrible chomping sounds that followed ... You can hear it still. It is a sound that will wake you in the dead of night for years to come. Each time you hear it, you almost imagine something shifting in the walls.
Then you roll over and go back to sleep
Checking for the origins of those sounds never leads to anything good

quote:

And, that game went a lot faster then expected. I learned a few things, but the main one is I need to follow the turn order during the haunt again, and that any Haunts should really not start on the 3rd turn of the game before the house has been properly explored. I was expecting the fact that only one survivor had a weapon to spell doom for the party, but instead, the turn order I imposed, and the very short distance the fastest player in the game had to cover to reach the much slower zombie lord, ended the Haunt almost as quickly as it begun. I apologize anyway for a short game, and will ensure that the next game is more engaging, and longer.

Speaking of which, the sign ups will be open again once more! I can squeeze another game into this thread yet. For the sake of fairness, the players who volunteered to be Substitutes will receive direct invites first, and then players who have not yet played can have a chance to fill spots.

And hopefully, the next game will not be over so quickly.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Well, that's just how this game goes sometimes. Good game, everyone!

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
I'm amazed! A zombie movie where nobody died. I almost did, though. Thanks for this, Nabster!

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

That was a really fun time despite the short length, and the first time I've ever played that game where I actually came out on top! Thanks for running it!

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Let's do this thing. Preppy Girl please.

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
Good work all! Glad it ended fast as i couldnt take another turn (writing this from a hospital bed). Thanks nabster!

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

stevey666 posted:

Good work all! Glad it ended fast as i couldn't take another turn (writing this from a hospital bed). Thanks nabster!

poo poo man, get well soon.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Can I grab a spot in the next game?

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

CirclMastr posted:

Can I grab a spot in the next game?

You most certainly can. Make sure you pick a card though, they are all available except the Teenage girls right now

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
I want in! Calling dibs on the Scientist.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Calling dibs on the Priest if possible, otherwise I'll take whoever.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Leif. posted:

Calling dibs on the Priest if possible, otherwise I'll take whoever.

Mart has taken the Old Man as the Scientist, your choices of character are the Children, the Teenage Boys, and the Older Women

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Ah, I didn't realize you can only have one of each class. How about the trap track star?

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Leif. posted:

Ah, I didn't realize you can only have one of each class. How about the trap track star?

I could probably allow more then one of each class, buuuuuut it will be a bit hard to keep track of, so for the sake of making processing easier, only one of each class. That character is free so you can take it.

Leftover Characters: Both Children characters, and the Older Women

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
I would like to be Betrayed at a House That Is On A Hill. And I will be the nerdy boy.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

LordZoric posted:

I would like to be Betrayed at a House That Is On A Hill. And I will be the nerdy boy.

As I still haven't heard back from the two people I invited, you will be on the Substitute Waiting List. However if one or both of them doesn't show up by around this time tomorrow, the place is yours

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Man, if I wasn't going away this weekend I'd totally toss my hat in the ring for next game, but since I won't be likely to get a post up for the next three days I'll have to just spectate. Good luck, everyone! Try not to die too horribly!

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Hey, if the next game goes the same way as the last one, it'll be done by the time you get back. :v:

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I'm torn between hoping for that and wanting the next game to be an extended bloodbath. Come on, pull one of the Secret Traitor haunts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I'll take the Single Mom if there's still room for me.

• Locked thread