Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Skinos Mastiha is sort of a honey sweetened gin, very floral, but not piney. 30 proof and proud, $40ish at your liqour store.
Laphroaig we all know and love already.

You want to use the Skinos the same way you'd use water, just a few drops to open up your scotch. You get a peaty-sweet flavor that makes both the scotch and the liquor taste better than they would separately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I couldn't think of a better thread for this.

A veteran political reporter wrote this.

Just unbelievable. "...and no allowance for a moral leader to do something immoral without being proved a rank hypocrite..." is actually a thing this guy thinks is a bad thing. The idea that politicians should get to have private lives and mistresses in those private lives is a plague on any country with pretensions to a popular vote. I'm not saying hound people out of politics for having a mistress (or a mister) but if you've got something scandalous going on you owe it to the people voting to be upfront about it. Remember that rear end in a top hat John Edwards?

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Both.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Somebody asked about salad dressings. Sriracha ranch, if you want an actual dressing. Blackberry vinaigrette is super easy to make though, and it'll do all kinds of things to your tongue.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I've come up with the best way to solve distrust of police. If you utilize lethal force as a police officer you can no longer be a police officer. Turn them into intelligent bees.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Found my new band name, thanks.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Sun whales are the best way to live on a solar body. Five Guys is no more or less a guilty pleasure than McDonald's or Wendy's. If you're worried about what your choice of restaurant says about you, you are at best a snob.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Also they're making life less pleasant thirteen years after they killed themselves. It's really hard to get that kind of bang for your buck out of most suicides.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
The problem is that the people they elect to represent them think they aren't idiots. Rahm Emanuel actually thinks he's the smartest guy in the room most of the time, and he just isn't.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Has any story Breitbart broke actually been true in anything but the loosest sense of the word?

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I think it's the space is big explanation. Intelligent life being rare seems pretty likely to me, and getting to the point where you're a spacefaring civilization seems like it'd be even rarer. I think the supervillian who prevents global armageddon constantly is the best version. "Nope, no civilization ending collapse, you have to deal with your actions."

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I think if we encountered the alien equivalent of I Love Lucy we'd have a cult set up around it inside a week.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I think it's pretty great that instead of being afraid of a vengeful God some idiots have replaced Him with a vengeful AI. I mean I know the Singularity is Nerd Rapture, but still. You'd think they'd do a better job of hiding the fact.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
The problem with Pascal's wager and the Basilisk singularity noise is that the best possible thing to do if you decide that they're right is to never talk about it with anyone else. Sure, the Bible says go forth and spread the word. It also says that people who didn't have the opportunity to hear the Word of God don't get sent directly to hell. So basically you and your brethren are the ones loving it up for everyone else by opening your stupid mouths.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Not all furries have sex in fursuits would probably be an accurate sentence. Anything else is just wishful thinking.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
He can't be backing down on Ukraine. That'd puncture the machismo he's been using to keep himself in power. Maybe we'll get lucky, he'll declare a crusade to suppress the papists. Seems like the kind of thing his tame Patriarch would get behind.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
^^^Despicable, that's where we stand on it. That is some oily poo poo right there. Good for the professor though.

Fruitcake actually owns if you make it well. The little green and red candied bits, the whole thing soaked in brandy. It isn't even hard to make.

Peztopiary fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 18, 2014

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
You know how some students don't come back from winter break? That's him. That's how he deals.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
How is norks not racist as hell?

Peztopiary fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 19, 2014

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Frank Luntz doesn't look nearly as terrible in real life as I thought he would. I suppose we're better off that people's villainy isn't reflected in their physiques, lest we have even more reason to burn DC to the ground and salt the ashes.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Any of the people who'd buy things like that would do more harmful things with the money if they couldn't spend it on luxury icecubes. Every luxury bought is a bubble that isn't getting inflated.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
At least the teabaggers are honest about the glee they feel.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Basically they didn't think the afterlife through real well.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Lutherans: Coffee Jesus.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Ideally college should be free. Legally requiring it is just cruel though. Some people want to open a construction business and do well at that, some people want to learn about tensors. Both should be able to pursue happiness without economic suffering. If we eat the one percent, the new one percent will probably do a better job to make sure we don't do it again.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
General strike at the company who idiotically tried to impose having a degree as a basic requirement to work an assembly line. Also decimate (by firing them) the middle management cohort that thought it was a good idea. Make that a pre-condition before you come to the table.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

The Warszawa posted:

Joementum posted: posted:

yes, there's tremendous value in having a culturally literate society.

STEM majors deliberately fail to learn a drat thing from the bare minimum humanities courses they're required to take. If we value a culturally literate society (which there is no evidence of) we can do that through other means than requiring people to attend four years of college. An actual Discovery or History channel could do it. That they've become what they've become indicates we don't give two fucks about the classics though.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
If schools are going to teach The Giver that poo poo should be done in sixth grade max. Senior year ought to be nothing but Norse legends. If you can't hold a conversation about Norse myth lasting at least ten minutes you ain't poo poo.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
It totally was. That loving dragon, that death. Also Grendel by John Gardner is a good companion book.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i know this white guy from denton who told me he read ender's game sophomore year for class

As a book to do a report on, or as a book the whole class read? Because one of those is way less horrifying.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

from the way he worded it, the latter. "yeah we read that book for class, it was p fun"
Mind boggling. It isn't even the best book in that series. I mean if you're going to have people read Hitler apologia at least make it Xenocide.

paranoid randroid posted:

is the more horrifying option the one where enders game is assigned reading? because i went to a middle school where it was assigned reading. mostly because orson scott card was from the state, but still.

That's depressing as hell. Though I guess acceptable at a middle school because that could be like sixth grade. Which is a time it is okay to be reading OSC.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
We watched Apocalypse Now without permission slips, but that was because they just did a blanket one when you started highschool. Basically it said, poo poo gets real now. If you don't want that for your child opt out now or forever hold your peace.

VVVV What class?

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Also looking at the guy directly before him makes him look even better by comparison.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
GBS 2.0 also thinks 'human being' is funny, so it's not all changes for the better.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

My Imaginary GF posted:

said the noise to the signal

no u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Owls are enormous assholes. Aerial predators are just further proof that evolution leads to bad things.

• Locked thread