Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The letter means nothing. The ruling is what matters and as lovely as it is it has nothing to do with what the letter is talking about. They might as well write a letter saying to put all gays in death camps on the moon because Jesus said so for all the power it has. Any idiot can write a letter.

For an easier to understand perspective perhaps: the letter has the same legal status as an internet petition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Ugh

quote:

Opponents of Houston's new non-discrimination ordinance turned in well more than the minimum number of signatures needed to trigger a November vote on whether to repeal the measure. A group of conservative political and faith leaders on Thursday claimed to have gathered more than 50,000 signatures within the 30-day window after the ordinance's passage, about 30,000 of which they said have been validated as coming from registered city of Houston voters, as required by law. "It has been shown and demonstrated that the people of the city do not want this ordinance," said pastor Max Miller, of the Baptist Ministers Association of Houston and Vicinity. "We simply say: Allow the people to vote on this ordinance."

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Yes, allowing the majority to vote on the rights of the minority is a grand idea that couldn't possibly go wrong!

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Ninjasaurus posted:

Yes, allowing the majority to vote on the rights of the minority is a grand idea that couldn't possibly go wrong!

and what glorious alternative do you propose?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Quickscope420dad posted:

gently caress, who knows.

I'ts weeks like this where I need to stay out of DnD. All I do is just get mad over poo poo like this. THe worse part is I WANT to do something, anything. I just don't know where to start.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Quickscope420dad posted:

I'm no societal architect but not putting that sort of ordinance up to a popular vote seems like a good place to start. If people think it violates their religious freedom not to be able to discriminate against gays, let them take it up with the courts.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quickscope420dad posted:

Court decisions or maybe just legislation? Ballot initiatives are incredibly dumb to being with, and allowing bigots to try to outvote basic rights is a recipe for disaster. Seriously, should white people be allowed to vote blacks (or any other ethnic minority) out of having equality for the hell of it?

I will note two things about such plans recently. One is the last statewide attempt (MD) was defeated by about 4.5%, which is good thought doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Second is that the only way it got on the ballot as easily as it did was internet signups making it easy for people to make sure their signature was valid, though it also allows for a lot of slacktivism. In this case, I'd be worried since TX is mostly a regressive hellpit, and actually doing hand signatures for this probably means there is a lot of support to strip rights from people.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Quickscope420dad posted:

Basic civil rights protections at the federal level ala ENDA (without the religious employer opt-out) would be nice.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I highly doubt it'll get repealed. I bet they're the same people who screeched about Annise Parker and before her Kathy Whitmire and didn't change the electoral outcome.

Houston is a massive city, turning in 50,000 signatures can't be that hard. For perspective, proponents of an increased minimum wage in Nebraska, a state with a lower population than Houston, got over 130,000 signatures.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 5, 2014

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I highly doubt it'll get repealed. I bet they're the same people who screeched about Annise Parker and before her Kathy Whitmire and didn't change the electoral outcome.

Houston is a massive city, turning in 50,000 signatures can't be that hard. For perspective, proponents of an increased minimum wage in Nebraska, a state with a lower population than Houston, got over 130,000 signatures.

Again, MD which is normally seen as pretty drat blue only passed SSM (a "safer" right to the voting public) by a bit under 5%. Houston is something else altogether, though I'm not sure how much being the primary example of suburban sprawl changes this by putting white conservatives out of the voting area. Also, don't number of signatures usually have to do with how many are required versus popularity? Traditional drives cost a lot of money, so there's no point in running up the score past what you think you need to get it on the ballot.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Would this be a place to talk about the political divide amongst the gay community with regards to PrEP (Truvada)? I'm currently seeing if I can help advertise the drug at my local gay pride with the help of the HIV Alliance, but I'm fully expecting some random backlash from it since a lot of AIDS advocates hate the drug.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Would this be a place to talk about the political divide amongst the gay community with regards to PrEP (Truvada)? I'm currently seeing if I can help advertise the drug at my local gay pride with the help of the HIV Alliance, but I'm fully expecting some random backlash from it since a lot of AIDS advocates hate the drug.

uh whats the general problem? is it cost prohibitive? or is this a weird its gonna encourage more reckless sex line of thought

Naked Lincoln
Jan 19, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

uh whats the general problem? is it cost prohibitive? or is this a weird its gonna encourage more reckless sex line of thought

I think it's covered by some health insurance plans and Medicare since it got FDA approval, so I imagine any resistance is the result of fears of decreased condom use and a potential increase in STDs.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

A big flaming stink posted:

A little of both. But a lot of it comes from AIDS activists who don't realize how useful it can actually be -- 99% effective, with few (or none at all) side effects. The famous study of the drug actually shows that people are using it to complement condom use (since condoms are only 70% effective w/r/t anal sex), even though some are using it as a replacement for condoms. In this case, it's a "well a small portion are using it as an excuse to bareback so clearly this isn't working" argument.

If the drug was advertised more and more available, we would be seeing much less than 50,000 new cases per year of HIV, I think. The biggest hurdle is that high-risk populations (African American and Latino) typically won't have access to it or will never hear it exists.

Syphilis is definitely on a sharp rise along with gonorrhea in the gay population thanks to a huge rise in barebacking, but I don't think Truvada is to blame or even really all that attributed to it. There's only something like 2,000 people actually on the drug or some other supremely low number.

Ubiquitous_ fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 8, 2014

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

For the first year Apple marched at SF Pride Parade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdjAX5A-6qE

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

For the first year Apple marched at SF Pride Parade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdjAX5A-6qE
Someone in the gay marriage thread put it best:

One one hand, pride parades are being more corporatised and used as free adverting, which means they're less unique. On the other hand, every corporation who decides to join in has decided that the free publicity and potential new customers are worth more than what they'll lose to homophobes. So every additional corporation means more and more acceptance, and less money thrown against gay rights.

Works for me.:toot:

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

The Houston thing kinda surprised me since Houston has literally had a lesbian mayor for years now. After San Antonio passed our non-discrimination ordinance, there was a somewhat similar effort to recall mayor Julian Castro and councilman Diego Bernal (the guy who first sponsored the ordinance) but they didn't get enough signatures (they needed 6,000 from Diego Bernal's district) and it didn't go anywhere. Idiots. It passed 8-3 after they pulled out all the stops, what were they expecting to happen?:smug:

Also agreed, Houston's NDO isn't going anywhere. Annise Parker can literally put a face on the ordinance and make it personal, which is what really helps bring people around to support (or at least no longer oppose) gay rights.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

ACLU, GLAD, Lambda, NCLR, TLC issue joint statement withdrawing support for current version of ENDA. PDF

quote:

The provision in the current version of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) that allows religious organizations to discriminate based on sexual orientation and gender identity has long been a source of significant concern to us. Given the types of workplace discrimination we see increasingly against LGBT people, together with the calls for greater permission to discriminate on religious grounds that followed immediately upon the Supreme Court’s decision last week in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby, it has become clear that the inclusion of this provision is no longer tenable. It would prevent ENDA from providing protections that LGBT people desperately need and would make very bad law with potential further negative effects. Therefore, we are announcing our withdrawal of support for the current version of ENDA.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

ACLU, GLAD, Lambda, NCLR, TLC issue joint statement withdrawing support for current version of ENDA. PDF

This is what I saw as the key take-away from that statement:

quote:

the provision essentially says that anti-LGBT discrimination is different – more acceptable and legitimate – than discrimination against individuals based on their race or sex.

Notably HRC continues to support it, which seems par for the course.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
And again I feel I have to say the supreme court's ruling has gently caress all to do with gay poo poo and was super narrow for this one case.

I mean poo poo, yea I dislike the religious employer thing too but I'm kinda more pissed off that the solution is to entirely withdraw support so now I'll probably still be able to be fired for being gay in my state for another decade or so. Why can't they lay the groundwork and then fight about the details, because right now the 'groundwork' means at the very least protecting most of us.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I mean poo poo, yea I dislike the religious employer thing too but I'm kinda more pissed off that the solution is to entirely withdraw support so now I'll probably still be able to be fired for being gay in my state for another decade or so. Why can't they lay the groundwork and then fight about the details, because right now the 'groundwork' means at the very least protecting most of us.

Eh, it's a tough call, absolutely, but my issue is that the "groundwork" the current form of ENDA lays is that discrimination against LGBT people is acceptable for religious businesses in a way that doesn't apply on the basis of race or gender. Plus I think there's merit to the idea that since it's not getting passed in this congress regardless, it's better to hold on and keep fighting for an ENDA that doesn't enshrine the idea that it's more acceptable to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity than it is on the basis of race or sex. Does your state have any movement for state-level legislation?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It's Texas. It's not literally nothing but no Austin will never pass it until at least a couple elections from now MAYBE and even then there's no way anyone higher approves of it.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

And again I feel I have to say the supreme court's ruling has gently caress all to do with gay poo poo and was super narrow for this one case.

I'm worried about the precedent it creates. How many more companies will 'find religion' and have very specific things they do or don't want to pay for? Does it have to be a common religion? Or can it just be the Ceo's company's personal beliefs? It's just another cog in the corporate machine. It's already arguably true that companies have more rights than individuals. This is just more fuel for the fire.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

E-Tank posted:

I'm worried about the precedent it creates. How many more companies will 'find religion' and have very specific things they do or don't want to pay for? Does it have to be a common religion? Or can it just be the Ceo's company's personal beliefs? It's just another cog in the corporate machine. It's already arguably true that companies have more rights than individuals. This is just more fuel for the fire.

They can but then they'll have to take their own case before the Supreme Court and would probably lose. This particular ruling specifically made a point of saying "this doesn't give companies the right to discriminate against their employees based on their religious beliefs, nor does it give them a right to refuse to pay for other medical procedures such as blood transfusions". It was literally about this specific kind of birth control. That's it.

All of this hub-bub about companies following suit and denying whoever whatever based on this case is just people on both sides blowing hot air. It won't go anywhere.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Captain Mog posted:

They can but then they'll have to take their own case before the Supreme Court and would probably lose. This particular ruling specifically made a point of saying "this doesn't give companies the right to discriminate against their employees based on their religious beliefs, nor does it give them a right to refuse to pay for other medical procedures such as blood transfusions". It was literally about this specific kind of birth control. That's it.

All of this hub-bub about companies following suit and denying whoever whatever based on this case is just people on both sides blowing hot air. It won't go anywhere.

SCOTUS has already expanded the ruling to allow companies to refuse up to 20 different kinds of birth control now.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

It wasn't expanded, the scope of the ruling was clearly stated in the original decision.

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

Saying something like "the Catholic Church has to hire gay priests" is obviously never going to pass or be allowed by the courts. Until last week, it was a stupid right-wing strawman along the lines of "they'll force everyone to get gay-married!!!" This was always the case and has nothing to do with Hobby Lobby. Anyone who is holding out for a version of ENDA that applies to religious organizations is living on Mars, and civil liberties organizations abandoning support for it to make some bizarre third-order point about birth control based on a willful misinterpretation of the decision by conservatives are throwing gays under the bus for an unrelated agenda.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

meat sweats posted:

Saying something like "the Catholic Church has to hire gay priests" is obviously never going to pass or be allowed by the courts. Until last week, it was a stupid right-wing strawman along the lines of "they'll force everyone to get gay-married!!!" This was always the case and has nothing to do with Hobby Lobby. Anyone who is holding out for a version of ENDA that applies to religious organizations is living on Mars, and civil liberties organizations abandoning support for it to make some bizarre third-order point about birth control based on a willful misinterpretation of the decision by conservatives are throwing gays under the bus for an unrelated agenda.

They're not; they're making the point that it'd still permit Hobby Lobby to discriminate.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

They're not; they're making the point that it'd still permit Hobby Lobby to discriminate.

Exactly. Since the federal ENDA law has a religious exemption to it, it follows that similar arguments would be used to get around this law. Sorry, we as a nation need to beat back this idea immediately, or we'll start seeing more and more sections of the law that "religious corporations" will have a way to avoid. Putting an ENDA with this big a hole in it will be useless for the people who'd actually need it-- i.e. those who work for bigots who hide behind just-so religious stories. At some point, we need to start dragging people into at least the 20th century, regardless of the amount of kicking and screaming involved. I have zero issue with forcing every organization to to not discriminate against minorities, regardless of "religious objections". We have to make a decision as to which right is more paramount in society (religion or basic rights for minorities) and I'm more than willing to choose real people over nebulous ideas.

Also note it's not just civil liberties organizations that have pulled support. It's every major LGBT organization except for the HRC, which is pretty telling to me.

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

Maybe we could get the Supreme Court to declare something along the lines of "This decision concerns only the contraceptive mandate and should not be understood to hold that all insurance-coverage mandates, e.g., for vaccinations or blood transfusions, must necessarily fall if they conflict with an employer’s religious beliefs. Nor does it provide a shield for employers who might cloak illegal discrimination as a religious practice." That ought to clear it up.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So I found the letter that was sent to the White House by faith leaders, organizations and colleges

quote:

Dear Mr. President,
As religious and civic leaders who seek to advance the common good, we write to urge
you to include a religious exemption in your planned executive order addressing federal
contractors and LGBT employment policies.

We have great appreciation for your commitment to human dignity and justice, and we
share those values with you. With respect to the proposed executive order, we agree that
banning discrimination is a good thing. We believe that all persons are created in the
divine image of the creator, and are worthy of respect and love, without exception. Even
so, it still may not be possible for all sides to reach a consensus on every issue. That is
why we are asking that an extension of protection for one group not come at the expense
of faith communities whose religious identity and beliefs motivate them to serve those in
need.

Americans have always disagreed on important issues, but our ability to live with our
diversity is part of what makes this country great, and it continues to be essential even in
this 21st-century. This ability is essential in light of our national conversation on political
and cultural issues related to sexuality. We have and will continue to communicate on
these broader issues to our congregations, our policymakers and our nation, but we focus
here on the importance of a religious exemption in your planned executive order
disqualifying organizations that do not hire LGBT Americans from receiving federal
contracts. This religious exemption would be comparable to what was included in the
Senate version of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, which passed the Senate
with a strong, bipartisan vote.

Without a robust religious exemption, like the provisions in the Senate-passed ENDA,
this expansion of hiring rights will come at an unreasonable cost to the common good,
national unity and religious freedom.

When you announced the White House Office of Faith-based and Neighborhood
Partnerships, you said the following:
…the particular faith that motivates each of us can promote a greater good for all of us.
Instead of driving us apart, our varied beliefs can bring us together to feed the hungry
and comfort the afflicted; to make peace where there is strife and rebuild what has
broken; to lift up those who have fallen on hard times.

We could not agree with you more. Our identity as individuals is based first and foremost
in our faith, and religious beliefs are at the foundation of some of America’s greatest
charities and service organizations that do incredible good for our nation and for the
world. In fact, serving the common good is one of the highest expressions of one’s
religious liberty outside of worship. The hiring policies of these organizations—
Christians, Jewish, Muslim and others—extend from their religious beliefs and values:
the same values that motivate them to serve their neighbors in the first place.

Often, in American history--and, indeed, in partnership with your Administration--
government and religious organizations have worked together to better serve the nation.
An executive order that does not include a religious exemption will significantly and
substantively hamper the work of some religious organizations that are best equipped to
serve in common purpose with the federal government. In a concrete way, religious
organizations will lose financial funding that allows them to serve others in the national
interest due to their organizational identity. When the capacity of religious organizations
is limited, the common good suffers.

But our concern about an executive order without a religious exemption is about more
than the direct financial impact on religious organizations. While the nation has
undergone incredible social and legal change over the last decade, we still live in a nation
with different beliefs about sexuality. We must find a way to respect diversity of opinion
on this issue in a way that respects the dignity of all parties to the best of our ability.
There is no perfect solution that will make all parties completely happy.

As we know you understand, a religious exemption in this executive order would not
guarantee that religious organizations would receive contracts. Instead, a religious
exemption would simply maintain that religious organizations will not be automatically
disqualified or disadvantaged in obtaining contracts because of their religious beliefs.
Mr. President, during your first presidential campaign you were asked your views on
same-sex marriage. You responded: “‘I believe that marriage is the union between a man
and a woman. Now, for me as a Christian, it is also a sacred union. God's in the mix… I
am not somebody who promotes same-sex marriage.’”

You justified withholding your support for same-sex marriage, at least in part, by
appealing to your Christian faith. Yet you still believed you could serve your country, all
Americans, as President. Similarly, some faith-based organizations’ religious identity
requires that their employees share that identity. We still believe those organizations can
serve their country, all Americans, in partnership with their government and as welcome
members of the American family.

This is part of what has been so powerful about religious liberty in our nation’s history.
Historically, we have been reticent as a nation to use the authority of government to bless
some religious identities and ostracize others. We live in a blessed nation, constantly
perfecting its fundamental ideal that no matter what god you pray to, what you look like,
or who you are; there is a place in this nation for you if you seek to serve your fellow
Americans.

Religious organizations, because of their religious faith, have served their nation well for
centuries, as you have acknowledged and supported time and time again. We hope that
religious organizations can continue to do so, on equal footing with others, in the future.
A religious exemption in your executive order on LGBT employment rights would allow
for this, balancing the government’s interest in protecting both LGBT Americans, as well
as the religious organizations that seek to serve in accordance with their faith and values.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

So I found the letter that was sent to the White House by faith leaders, organizations and colleges

That's a lot of words for "Please don't make us hire gays".

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

meat sweats posted:

Maybe we could get the Supreme Court to declare something along the lines of "This decision concerns only the contraceptive mandate and should not be understood to hold that all insurance-coverage mandates, e.g., for vaccinations or blood transfusions, must necessarily fall if they conflict with an employer’s religious beliefs. Nor does it provide a shield for employers who might cloak illegal discrimination as a religious practice." That ought to clear it up.

a tactic that the conservatives on the Supreme Court have used is to write a seemingly narrow opinion and then cite it later as the basis for a broader holding supposedly grounded in precedent

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

meat sweats posted:

A religious exemption is actually important here though. Like O Espero before it, Hobby Lobby based its strict scrutiny analysis off of the existing exemptions. "If it's so important to ban drugs/make the company pay for birth control/not discriminate regardless of religion why is there exceptions?"

The only exception ENDA should have is a 1A savings clause, which would take care of priests and such.

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

a tactic that the conservatives on the Supreme Court have used is to write a seemingly narrow opinion and then cite it later as the basis for a broader holding supposedly grounded in precedent

After specifically going out of their way to write "this definitely does not apply to the exact thing you are worried about" in the majority opinion? Can you point to an example of this happening?

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

meat sweats posted:

After specifically going out of their way to write "this definitely does not apply to the exact thing you are worried about" in the majority opinion? Can you point to an example of this happening?

It's not in the majority opinion, it's in the syllabus. Every opinion has this statement added to it:

quote:

NOTE: Where it is feasible, a syllabus (headnote) will be released, as is being done in connection with this case, at the time the opinion is issued. The syllabus constitutes no part of the opinion of the Court but has been prepared by the Reporter of Decisions for the convenience of the reader.

None of the Justices actually wrote what you're relying upon.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe I'm wrong, but I am pretty sure Hobby Lobby couldn't object to ENDA in the same way because unlike the health insurance thing, there is no "less restrictive" method for the government to ensure that LGBT people can't be fired. In Hobby Lobby, the Court assumed that the government had a compelling interest in ensuring access to contraception. They lost because the "giving employees of non-profits with religious objections contraception through some other means" exemption already existed and was written into the regulations, and so the Religious Freedom act required that this least restrictive method be used WRT closely held corps as well.

This is not the same as ENDA and the logic cannot be extended even by conservative justices with a bone to pick. It's also moot because the House leadership has said they won't bring ENDA up for a vote, and the dems aren't going to attach it to anything in the runup to the midterms.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sub Par posted:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I am pretty sure Hobby Lobby couldn't object to ENDA in the same way because unlike the health insurance thing, there is no "less restrictive" method for the government to ensure that LGBT people can't be fired. In Hobby Lobby, the Court assumed that the government had a compelling interest in ensuring access to contraception. They lost because the "giving employees of non-profits with religious objections contraception through some other means" exemption already existed and was written into the regulations, and so the Religious Freedom act required that this least restrictive method be used WRT closely held corps as well.

This is not the same as ENDA and the logic cannot be extended even by conservative justices with a bone to pick. It's also moot because the House leadership has said they won't bring ENDA up for a vote, and the dems aren't going to attach it to anything in the runup to the midterms.

Thanks dude who actually read the case.

The HL ruling happened because in the stupid rear end minds of court there would sometime maybe be an easier way to get birth control like through the government. There's no middle ground between 'hire qualified people who apply' and 'WHAT I DON'T WANT NO human being'.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Ninjasaurus posted:

That's a lot of words for "Please don't make us hire gays".

Well, why should they have to? What sort of gay person would want to work at Biblethump Inc. anyway? I'm not talking about a cereal-making company that happens to be owned by Christians, but I am talking about, say, a small-town Evangelical Christian shop that sells Bibles and poo poo. To me this is almost proving their 00's-era concerns right, that the gays would eventually "infiltrate" their churches and private religious groups. No LGBT individual would really want to work or get married at such a place but this is something a LOT of them honestly believe- and I mean really 100% truly believe, no matter how much you tell them it's not going to happen. They believe it in the same way some people believe Obama's coming to take all their guns away and that they'll be forced to pay people's drug habits through welfare.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 9, 2014

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Captain Mog posted:

Well, why should they have to? What sort of gay person would want to work at Biblethump Inc. anyway? I'm not talking about a cereal-making company that happens to be owned by Christians, but I am talking about, say, a small-town Evangelical Christian shop that sells Bibles and poo poo. To me this is almost proving their 00's-era concerns right, that the gays would eventually "infiltrate" their churches and private religious groups. Like any LGBT individual would really want to work or get married at such a place anyway so it's a moot point.

Maybe they need a job for a paycheck, and any job will have to do? I'd hate to do it, but if it was that or starving, I'd be working at American Taliban Inc. Plus, these are businesses, and just from a position of principle they need to be brought low by the state and forced to comply with basic rights. Otherwise, we'll run into the same problem the next time we extend basic rights-- people will quickly find self-serving religious reasons to not comply with the law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Captain Mog posted:

Well, why should they have to? What sort of gay person would want to work at Biblethump Inc. anyway? I'm not talking about a cereal-making company that happens to be owned by Christians, but I am talking about, say, a small-town Evangelical Christian shop that sells Bibles and poo poo. To me this is almost proving their 00's-era concerns right, that the gays would eventually "infiltrate" their churches and private religious groups. No LGBT individual would really want to work or get married at such a place but this is something a LOT of them honestly believe- and I mean really 100% truly believe, no matter how much you tell them it's not going to happen. They believe it in the same way some people believe Obama's coming to take all their guns away and that they'll be forced to pay people's drug habits through welfare.

Man where do you live that all people have the choice to just not work at a place if that place has lovely corporate practices? It doesn't really work that way in North America, you get a job or you drat well starve in the streets.

• Locked thread