Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

So I'm visiting a buddy of mine in Halifax, NS, for a week between August 17 and 24. I visited Halifax back in 2012 for roughly the same amount of time but only managed to check out Citadel Hill and the botanical gardens. I want to experience more of Halifax! What are some cool bars or concert scenes to check out? Any museums or cultural centers you recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
I can't believe you didn't go to the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic the first time you were there. Do that.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Pook Good Mook posted:

I can't believe you didn't go to the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic the first time you were there. Do that.
Then that's a must-go next time I'm there! Thanks! I didn't read up on Halifax at all the first time I went, so I had to rely on my friends (who sadly don't get out much) to point out good places to check out. Any other places I should experience?

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Are you staying in Halifax, or are you doing any day trips around the general area?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Just Halifax itself. Unless my hosts want to graciously drive me places, I'm pretty certain I'll stay just in the city.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Well, apparently you are here for Sausage Fest '14, so there's always that.

But yeah, Maritime Museum is good. Also the Museum of Natural History is small, but neat, and there's also Pier 21. Walk the downtown boardwalk on a week and go the farmer's market, which has neat crafts and food.

There's not really any "bad" bars. Durty Nelly's and Bearly's House of Blues has live music most nights, The Fireside has my favourite cocktails, Henry House and Rockbottom Brewpub have really good pub food, etc.

If you're into beer at all, Alexander Keith's and Propeller both do tours and tastings for pretty cheap.

Uh, there's lots of amazing food. Sushi is huge here, and so is Greek. There's been a recent explosion of food trucks. Sweet Hereafter sells nothing but slices of cheesecake.

I don't know much about concerts, but the local free paper that has all the listings is The Coast, so check them out and lots of businesses'll have free paper copies by the door.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
So it turns out my cheapo flight to Iceland has me laying over for 24 hours in Halifax. Anyone know of cool things to do/places to stay nearish to the airport?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Thanks, Morgaine and Pook! That gives me plenty of ideas and things to do when not chilling with my pals. Cheers!

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
Hey, do you have snow yet? We don't get snow here in Sweden these days, and I just want to walk through snow drifts on my way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

ubergnu posted:

Hey, do you have snow yet? We don't get snow here in Sweden these days, and I just want to walk through snow drifts on my way.

Nah, we've only had flurries 2 or 3 times so far, and nothing lasted longer than a day. It's incredibly warm for this time of year.

• Locked thread