Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

juan ceaser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Banjo posted:

Steve Austin < The Rock < Hulk Hogan < Triple H < John Cena

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boc5JfvtB28

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

oldpainless posted:

John Cena will probably go down in history as the man who drew the most money, had the longest consistently wrestling career and the most 5-star matches when compared to the likes of Steve Austin, The Rock and Hulk Hogan.

Imagine the Rock or Austin had a run on top even half as long as Cena? And don't pretend that's a credit to Cena. It's not Austin's fault he was used like poo poo until he was pretty much past his prime, and the Rock would have been crazy not to leave.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Checkin' out until THE CHAMP drops the belt.

Rapadoo more like rapaboo hurr hurr.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Not the five star matches thing cuz those are decided by some mark not affiliated with the history writers.

Fair enough.

Paulocaust posted:

Imagine the Rock or Austin had a run on top even half as long as Cena? And don't pretend that's a credit to Cena. It's not Austin's fault he was used like poo poo until he was pretty much past his prime, and the Rock would have been crazy not to leave.

I wish the Rock and Steve Austin had much longer active wrestling careers and I agree with your other sentence.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I think at this point it doesn't matter how successful he is as far as 'popularity' or 'title reigns' go. He will, arguably, never be known as an influential and/or game changing wrestler on the wrestling world in the same likes as those previously mentioned because of how different wrestling has been in the past decade. He will not be known as the wrestler who turned wrestling into a main stream phenomenon (Hulk), as the epitome of an anti-hero that changed the face of wrestling storylines (Austin), as the most successful cross-over star (Rock). He will just be known as the most successful and popular wrestler of his era, but nothing influential will have been born from him that was BECAUSE of him. Basically, what I'm saying is: his legend will always be on par with Ric Flair's or someone of similar stature. Totally deserving of recognition and a legendary appreciation, but not deserving of true iconic legend status.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Oh, there is no loving way he's on the level of Austin, Rock and Hogan. The fact that half the crowd hates him on every given night is proof of that.

Really he's the equivalent of Triple H.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You're right he's not on their level, he's above them all.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Our time is up his time is now (now)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

He rose above

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
It's hilarious to hear people actually unironically try to say that Cena is better than them. Cena ain't poo poo, yo.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I agree that John Cena fall short of the criteria of iconic status because
-he's not bald like hogan rock or austin
-I hate him
-even tho he shapes the narrative of the last decade none of that poo poo was any good
-i'm gay

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Speedboat Jones posted:

I actually do want to know the answer to this, other than it being some trilling shout-out at the start of his poopy entrance theme.

The sample from Ante Up at the start of his theme is actually "Amadou", which is a shout out to a victim of a police brutality incident in NYC.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RacistGuidingLight posted:

I agree that John Cena fall short of the criteria of iconic status because
-he's not bald like hogan rock or austin
-I hate him
-even tho he shapes the narrative of the last decade none of that poo poo was any good
-i'm gay

This but ironically

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

dialhforhero posted:

his legend will always be on par with Ric Flair's

Noooooo way. Cena will never be remembered on the same level as Ric Flair. Ric Flair, in the late 80s, WAS non-WWE western wrestling. He absolutely is an icon, and miles above anything Cena can aspire to.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

NienNunb posted:

John Cena is the American Misawa. In that he's really great, drew money hand over fist, stayed on top way too long, and is doomed to die from a back suplex.

This is definitely the correct comparison, and another aspect is the inabilities to create a successor are destroying the respective companies.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

john cena has been, is, and will be the only important figure in the entirety of wrestling for decades

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

John Cena was never in TNA therefore he is better than the pathetic shell of a wrestler Ric Flair is.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Great White Hope posted:

John Cena was never in TNA therefore he is better than the pathetic shell of a wrestler Ric Flair is.

We'll never see Old Cena because, like NienNumb said, Cena is 100% definite to go out like Misawa.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Rapadoo means I love you.

I remember being so happy when Cena finally ended JBL's reign of boring me on Smackdown.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

We'll never see Old Cena because, like NienNumb said, Cena is 100% definite to go out like Misawa.

You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Noooooo way. Cena will never be remembered on the same level as Ric Flair. Ric Flair, in the late 80s, WAS non-WWE western wrestling. He absolutely is an icon, and miles above anything Cena can aspire to.

Cena is better than being non WWE Western wrestling, in that he is WWE Western wrestling.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

dialhforhero posted:

I think at this point it doesn't matter how successful he is as far as 'popularity' or 'title reigns' go. He will, arguably, never be known as an influential and/or game changing wrestler on the wrestling world in the same likes as those previously mentioned because of how different wrestling has been in the past decade. He will not be known as the wrestler who turned wrestling into a main stream phenomenon (Hulk), as the epitome of an anti-hero that changed the face of wrestling storylines (Austin), as the most successful cross-over star (Rock). He will just be known as the most successful and popular wrestler of his era, but nothing influential will have been born from him that was BECAUSE of him. Basically, what I'm saying is: his legend will always be on par with Ric Flair's or someone of similar stature. Totally deserving of recognition and a legendary appreciation, but not deserving of true iconic legend status.

Yeah, the thing was you didn't HAVE to have the belt on Austin or The Rock all the time because they were still interesting characters that you could build storylines around without it. Cena's only defining characteristic is "wins and has the belt most of the time." There's really nothing much to do with him when he's not champ, and they've protected him so hard at this point it'd be weird to see him in a normal program with anyone.

The closest they got was with Bray, and even that had to be all about "protecting the legacy" of Cena by the end. Even so, that was at least vaguely interesting up until it was just CENA WINS LOL again.

Give me back old mediocre rapper Cena, at least then he had some character to him.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Surprised this hasn't been posted in this thread yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa3JjcLpHPQ

Review of last nights MITB but a LOT of Cena talk.

On topic, I'm tired of Cena. I don't have any negative feelings towards him personally, but sick of the Cena train down our throats. For over a decade. Blah.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sprecherscrow posted:

This is definitely the correct comparison, and another aspect is the inabilities to create a successor are destroying the respective companies.

I'm worried more about Cena wrecking himself because WWE can't find his successor than WWE being able to find his successor.

He should just tell them "I'm taking a year off - figure it out".

So yeah - he is literally going to Misawa himself with all the steroids and no time off.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

EugeneJ posted:

I'm worried more about Cena wrecking himself because WWE can't find his successor than WWE being able to find his successor.

He should just tell them "I'm taking a year off - figure it out".

So yeah - he is literally going to Misawa himself with all the steroids and no time off.

Remember he said after Lesnar that he was going to take time off and brass wasn't going to happy about that? Nothing ever happened.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

StarkRavingMad posted:

Give me back old mediocre rapper Cena, at least then he had some character to him.

Five years from now, Vince will hear Eminem's Recovery CD and we'll have Cena the rapping motivational speaker.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Vintimus Prime posted:

Remember he said after Lesnar that he was going to take time off and brass wasn't going to happy about that? Nothing ever happened.

Did we ever find out what was up with that? Did he actually want to take a break but WWE wouldn't let him? Was he just out of his head from blood loss?

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Did we ever find out what was up with that? Did he actually want to take a break but WWE wouldn't let him? Was he just out of his head from blood loss?

I have no idea. I honestly believe if you gave Cena some significant time off due to injury or just a break, the overloaded feeling on Cena might go away some, fans will be rejuvenated, and maybe he'll be too.

What I really don't like about all these reigns is the no sell of the opponents. Hell Hogan made almost every guy in his magical run feel like some threat or over to Hulkamania.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

This is mesmerizing. I can't stop staring.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Has any person ever been as strong or correct as John Cena?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
All roads lead to Cena.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
It'd be hard to get unless someone in WWE leaked individual figures but I'd love to see John Cena's position as it pertains to merch sales/money brought in. I wonder his similarities to the pantheon of Rock/Hogan/Austin in terms of $$$ in and also percentage of merch sold/individual buying power. I think he's going to be looked back a lot more favorably in a financial sense then HOLY poo poo HE HAD 15+ TITLE REIGNS AND IS GOD BOOKED EVERY WEEK WE ARE SO loving TIRED OF THIS.

Also yes to American Misawa.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

John Cena, for all his faults, took two guys who needed a catalyst in CM Punk and Edge, and made them absolutely main eventers and really over as heels.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

John Cena, for all his faults, took two guys who needed a catalyst in CM Punk and Edge, and made them absolutely main eventers and really over as heels.

And now only Cena remains.

Cena is life, Cena is eternal, Cena simply is.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

cena bad

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

Has any person ever been as strong as John Cena?

BROCK LESNAR

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

John Cena has the same initials as Jesus Christ, coincidence?

Yes, probably, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!
Having beat Cesaro in the ladder match, Cena is now also the Linear champion, yeah?

• Locked thread