Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looke
Aug 2, 2013

oddjobs hat in goldeneye

I couldn't aim it for poo poo but it was fun throwing it about the place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soral
May 30, 2009

DLTN posted:

the point is that despite .2s being only a marginal difference, it's better to have than a little extra damage on a melee weapon that you should only be using to manage your buildings

actually the wrench with the bleed damage is good because it can help you track cloaked spies, aka your #1 threat other than like ubered demos or soldiers or whatever. its extremely situationally useful but is much better than increasing your build speed by a literally imperceptable amount of time

this post is the most i have thought or cared about tf2 in over a year

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

Soral posted:

actually the wrench with the bleed damage is good because it can help you track cloaked spies, aka your #1 threat other than like ubered demos or soldiers or whatever. its extremely situationally useful but is much better than increasing your build speed by a literally imperceptable amount of time

this post is the most i have thought or cared about tf2 in over a year

If a spy is cloaked, he is not a threat to the point where you'd need to swing a spiky wrench around in hopes that you get lucky and manage to hit him. You can literally sit by your sentry and wait; once he decloaks, you can 2-shot him with any given engineer primary before the decloak animation even ends. alternatively, if he placed a sapper on your sentry and then immediately cloaked, he just accomplished literally nothing at all and you can go back to the "wait for him to decloak" method.

though all of this depends on a pure 1v1 interaction where your teammates aren't there to assist you anyway, so it's basically not even worth discussing. that being said i honestly think the jag and the SH are basically balanced with each-other, both of them with only marginal upsides that are only ever relevant like once a month. but i guess that's one of the challenges to designing unlocks for a class that can completely alter the flow of a game single-handedly.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Shotgun heavy

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

the pyro in team fortress classic (the good one) had a napalm rocket. the rocket traveled slow, was super obvious with a red contrail and the actual fire did poo poo damage. but it was still cool to use that and the similarly bad napalm grenade to annoy snipers and keep them out of their fave snipe spots.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Pissgun sniper

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Wearing the poop camo in MGS3 was pretty fun in a useless way.

CARRIERHASARRIVED
Aug 25, 2010

Canned Bread posted:

the Jag in team fortress 2. in fact I collect them and proudly display them in my item showcase for all to enjoy.

do you have any collector's jags?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
When you got the HD pack the MP5 in Half-Life 1 turned into an M4 carbine and got a deeper sound effect. Nothing else changed, so it was still useless after you finished Surface Tension or thereabouts, but it was a lot more fun to shoot.

I also like the 1911 in Far Cry 3 even though it's your crappy starting gun (they buff it a little in co-op also.)

The Police Pistol is kind of neat in Fallout New Vegas even though you'll have better options outside of its DLC and you should probably be meleeing enemies when you're in its DLC.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I loved the little motorcycle guy in Twisted Metal

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
the gauntlet in quake 3 arena is the correct answer because it appears to be the typical fps slot 1 placeholder but it kills people in like 2 hits and even announces that the victim has been humiliated

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Widestancer posted:

I loved the little motorcycle guy in Twisted Metal

that guy's special kicked rear end though

i took on the demon boss with him without a point of damage by just pounding on him at point blank and none of the giant tanks poo poo could even hit it

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

the frog suit in smb3 was pretty dumb and gave you no real benefit on land but i still liked it and always tried to be really good at it but the physics was so different from mario's regular run and jump that i'd always hit something.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I don't play WoW anymore but if I did I'd be afk playing the piccolo of flaming fire in the auctionhouse

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!

Mr. Pumroy posted:

the frog suit in smb3 was pretty dumb and gave you no real benefit on land but i still liked it and always tried to be really good at it but the physics was so different from mario's regular run and jump that i'd always hit something.

world 3 would like a word with you :colbert:

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
delibird

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

SGR posted:

world 3 would like a word with you :colbert:

that's just one world though. an item that's only good in one world is no good at all. one day i'll go back to smb3 and make it a point to go through the whole game in a frogsuit. though i bet someone already did that and streamed it to youtube and made pewdiepie bux doing it.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

mabels big day posted:

Shotgun heavy

Special Needs Scouts are the best :allears:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Fenrir posted:

Special Needs Scouts are the best :allears:

theres nothing "special needs" about it, fucker.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Wow tf2s weapon balance must be really lovely

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Wow tf2s weapon balance must be really lovely

would you actually believe it used to be worse

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

DLTN posted:

would you actually believe it used to be worse

i still remember the weekend of flame when pyros could be buffed to, like, 250 hp with a backburner, the lack of an airblast the only drawback

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

i remember when the bulkiest class in the game could instantly heal half his max hp at any given time with minimal interruption

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
mines usually suck in fps single player games but i love using them and trying to bait the ai into getting blown up by them. dn3d and hl1's mines are probably the coolest even though something like a pipebomb or satchel charge would do more damage to enemies

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

The tanuki suit was the one I always went for. It was OK since it doubled as the raccoon power, but the whole "ability to briefly turn into a statue" thing was so cool and so useless.

The hammer suit with hammers you could barely aim was another.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I like using the Megaton Hammer as much as possible in OOT.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
didn't the statue form let you kill thwomps and ignore everything

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Using the sand rod outside of the desert in Zelda: ALBW was kinda fun in a silly way.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
The minelayer in RE 4 is terrible, but drat was it fun to stick the little mines all over the regenerators.

Reset Button
Jan 25, 2011

i always wanted to be a magical girl as a kid and then with silent hill 3 i discovered there was no benefit to it at all. also your beams would have creepy names instead of "disintegration beam" and "pew pew beam"
i still enjoyed seeing sparkles everywhere, though

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

i want to be a magical girl now. is this weird?

Reset Button
Jan 25, 2011

LaTex Fetish posted:

i want to be a magical girl now. is this weird?

nope
join us. let the sparkles flow

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

the only condition to me becoming a magical girl is if during the transformation scenes I get to keep my underwear on

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

LaTex Fetish posted:

the only condition to me becoming a magical girl is if during the transformation scenes I get to keep my underwear on

you don't but on the plus side anyone watching will be temporarily blinded

Soral
May 30, 2009

The Protagonist posted:

i still remember the weekend of flame when pyros could be buffed to, like, 250 hp with a backburner, the lack of an airblast the only drawback

ironically with the advent of the bullshit quickswitch gun and the replay feature automatically exporting sick reflect kills directly onto youtube, no ability to airblast would be seen as crippling if it were reintroduced now

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

Soral posted:

ironically with the advent of the bullshit quickswitch gun and the replay feature automatically exporting sick reflect kills directly onto youtube, no ability to airblast would be seen as crippling if it were reintroduced now

the best part about the degreaser is that it has this strong, almost sexual following to it and i'm 99% sure it's all based on the flashiness of it. like back when the backburner first got the +10% damage buff over the other flamethrowers, it became the Secret Good flamethrower, but people refused to use it because the airblast was "too useful to give up". then the backburner got airblast and the argument swiftly changed to "uh, well, uh its still bad" because people are too afraid to swallow their pride for 2 seconds and admit that the dreaded w+m1 might be more effective than lighting someone, airblasting them 4 times into a wall and then missing their axe

fast forward to today where they actually nerfed the axtinguisher so hard that it's literally useless, thereby removing the potency of the degreaser and there are still plenty of pyro mains who insist that the most complicated way to play the class must obviously be the best

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

DLTN posted:

the best part about the degreaser is that it has this strong, almost sexual following to it and i'm 99% sure it's all based on the flashiness of it. like back when the backburner first got the +10% damage buff over the other flamethrowers, it became the Secret Good flamethrower, but people refused to use it because the airblast was "too useful to give up". then the backburner got airblast and the argument swiftly changed to "uh, well, uh its still bad" because people are too afraid to swallow their pride for 2 seconds and admit that the dreaded w+m1 might be more effective than lighting someone, airblasting them 4 times into a wall and then missing their axe

fast forward to today where they actually nerfed the axtinguisher so hard that it's literally useless, thereby removing the potency of the degreaser and there are still plenty of pyro mains who insist that the most complicated way to play the class must obviously be the best

amen

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

DLTN posted:

they actually nerfed the axtinguisher so hard that it's literally useless, thereby removing the potency of the degreaser

:smith:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
back when MGS4 had multiplayer there was DLC that would let you play as the main characters, and whenever I got to play as Ocelot he had a weapon that was just his fingers pointing and he would shout "BANG!" and anyone hit with it wasn't allowed to use their guns or grenades for like 10 seconds. It was useless a lot of the time cuz whenever you banged a guy his friend would usually kill you immediately. But when you find a straggler, knock him out with CQC then just shout "BANG" over his body for like a minute it was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

But when you find a straggler, knock him out with CQC then just shout "BANG" over his body for like a minute it was amazing.

holy poo poo that sounds amazing, and takes me back to when i played a shitton of CoV of all things.

i had a flying mastermind with shield powers as a secondary, and i would spend my days using force bubble to pin people into corners of geometry. the pvp zones were giant and sparsely populated a lot of the time so it'd just be me and mr hero until my lovely damage whittled him down over ten minutes or so/until they logged out.

• Locked thread