Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!
UFC 175: Weidman vs. Machida
When: July 5th, 2014. Prelims - 7pm ET/4pm PT. Main Event - 10pm ET/7pm PT.
Where: Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada
How: Main event - Pay-per-view (5 fights). Prelims - Fight Pass (2 fights), Fox Sports 1 (4 fights)
Bars showing the event
Thread title credit: El Roncho
Goonweight Grand Prix Stuff: Make your picks || Standings || Thread
Chat: #MMA on synIRC

Fights to Watch:
Chris Weidman vs. Anderson Silva I
Lyoto Machida vs. Rashad Evans

Fights to Watch:
Ronda Rousey vs. Miesha Tate II
Alexis Davis vs. Jessica Eye

Fights to Watch:
Stefan Stuve vs. Pat Barry
Matt Mitrione vs. Roy Nelson

Fights to Watch:
Uriah Hall vs. Chris Leben
Thiago Santos vs. Ronny Markes

Fights to Watch:
Marcus Brimage vs. Maximo Blanco
Russell Doane vs. Leandro Issa

Yes, it's true. Urijah Faber has been :siren::siren:DEMOTED TO THE PRELIMS:siren::siren: in favor of the new, better Uriah.

fatherdog posted:

At some point we should start putting this in GDT OPs because it seems like every other event has someone bitching about how somebody's been "demoted" to the prelims

SNACKS
Please tell us about food you like to eat while watching mixed martial arts on television.

Here are some meal ideas for UFC 175:
-Meat on bun
-Frito-Lay Chips Flavor Mix Multipack, 20 Count (MAKE EVERY DAY A FUNDAY)
-Pasta Bowl

Agent Tough Juice fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Agent Tough Juice posted:

UFC 175: Weidman vs. Machida
When: July 5th, 2014. Prelims - 7pm ET/4pm PT. Main Event - 10pm ET/7pm PT.
Where: Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada
How: Main event - Pay-per-view (5 fights). Prelims - Fight Pass (2 fights), Fox Sports 1 (4 fights)
Thread title credit: El Roncho

This is all just God damned great. What editing software do you use, bra?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
MMA Snack Rating : The crumbs around Matt Serra's fat mouth

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Great OP - looking forward to this show even though I won't be able to watch it live. Always bet on Weidman.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
This came up when I GIS'd Caceres and it made me laugh.

Am I misremembering it or was his last fight pretty cool? Or was I just enchanted by his afro?

So has Faber been demoted to prelims or what?

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
I am honored.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Title fight to prelims, cool.

(To be fair I don't think headlining prelims is a bad thing any more, it's a lot of exposure)

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

This came up when I GIS'd Caceres and it made me laugh.

Am I misremembering it or was his last fight pretty cool? Or was I just enchanted by his afro?

All of Caceres's fights have been fairly cool and he's become quite a good fighter since dropping to 135. Of course not anywhere near good enough to threaten Faber really but it should still be a great fight.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Faber is headlining the prelims. This card is loving stacked. Holy poo poo.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

The UFC tries to make good fights as headliners to prelims so people will be encouraged to buy the PPV, and Faber is usually indicative of a fun fight.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Mr. Nice! posted:

Faber is headlining the prelims. This card is loving stacked. Holy poo poo.

I mean, Marcus Brimage opens the PPV. This card is hardly stacked.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
It was stacked and then the holy trinity of drug testing happened

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Good poo poo dude.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Hey an actual good fight thats happening wow brothers

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Mean Bean Machine posted:

The UFC tries to make good fights as headliners to prelims so people will be encouraged to buy the PPV, and Faber is usually indicative of a fun fight.

At some point we should start putting this in GDT OPs because it seems like every other event has someone bitching about how somebody's been "demoted" to the prelims

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I long for the day where 'main eventing' the Fight Pass prelims is categorically a thing

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Bundt Cake posted:

Hey an actual good fight thats happening wow brothers

July in general is pretty good. After this weekend you still have Miller/Cerrone & Barboza/Dunham, McCall/Pickett, and then Lawler/Brown, Thomson/Johnson, and Masvidal/Cruikshank. There are a handful of other good fighters and prospects too, but their matchups aren't as compelling to me as those. And the return of Patrick Cummins.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
UFC 175 Snack Rating:

Buy at a store, cook on a grill, put condiments on them (no ketchup on hotdog please), place in mouth, chew, swallow. Rinse, repeat.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

-Atom- posted:

I long for the day where 'main eventing' the Fight Pass prelims is categorically a thing

They're kind of building it up already. I think the idea at least is to get people to tune in so the whole pre-show hype and cut backs to the studio between fights can talk some people into ordering the ppv.

Faber v Caceres should be a cool fight. The way I see it, Caceres is either a good fighter who's been able to weather the storm against talented opponents to implement his strategy or he's been extrememly lucky and we see Faber steam roll him within two minutes. Either way it'll be fun as hell to watch. Faber seems to struggle against guys who know how to fight long. If Alex can keep him on the end of his jab (I doubt it), work his legs without getting taken down (again I doubt it) and catch Faber when he rushes in (I doubt he has either the timing or the power) he could snatch this one.

The more likely case is Caceres tries to do both, Faber slips his jab and cracks him, shoots into a takedown to a scrambly guillotine and it's a wrap inside 5 minutes.

The other three fights before the co-main are kind of all washes. Meat head is going to eat a lot of jabs because he doesn't know how to do a headmovement, is suceptible to submissions, but also hits loving hard. So it's a toss up as to how that one will go. Uriah Hall is a killer if he wants to be, but at times seems to cruise trying to pick his shots and he has a tendency to angle the wrong way out of exchanges with his hands extended leaving him open to looping left hooks (it's how weidman smashed him - seriously look it up it's a lot like how he KO'd Anderson, it's also why Gastellum ran through him in their match) and Brimage does very little overly well but Doane isn't really good enough as I see it to take advantage of him.

If nothing else seeing the three fights should have some surprises in store if someone comes in having learned something new. Kind of sucks for betting though.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I'm going to eat a hotdog that is all ketchup.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

please don't troll

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Freeze that poo poo, batter dip it, and deep fry it.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Team Monkey-Hug Piss-Chug about to be real salty come Saturday

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y9pijAfy0M
Fight week, blog week

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
I've been dreading this UFC as much as I've been excited for it. Machida got me into MMA recently in a real big way, and I took up boxing because of my love for the sport. I really hope Machida wins, but Wiedman is really goddamn good.

I wish Weidman was easy to hate, but he's awesome as hell too! That picture of him with his kids, his anti-bullying campaign, his oreo and xbox lounge-with-belt pic... oh and his complete domination of silva, right

So this is MMA. It was easy to watch when I didn't care about anyone.

now I know...

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Dana White's life is insane.

also Dong Kim owns.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This owns, please keep doing these, tia.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
I hope Nelson and Hunt do a sumo spot in their fight

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
MMA Snack Rating:

A really delicious steak that's covered Bearnaise sauce, only the sauce tested positive for epo and HGH so you have to scrape the sauce off and instead of having this 10/10 amazing meal it's a 9/10 amazing steak with chips and is still probably better than any other meal but man, it could have been perfect.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

ceaselessfuture posted:

I've been dreading this UFC as much as I've been excited for it. Machida got me into MMA recently in a real big way, and I took up boxing because of my love for the sport. I really hope Machida wins, but Wiedman is really goddamn good.

I wish Weidman was easy to hate, but he's awesome as hell too! That picture of him with his kids, his anti-bullying campaign, his oreo and xbox lounge-with-belt pic... oh and his complete domination of silva, right

So this is MMA. It was easy to watch when I didn't care about anyone.

now I know...

The secret of this dumb gay sport is that you watch like three events and all of a sudden you're invested. All of the sarcasm and irony in these threads is just us trying to disguise the fact that we care deeply about which sweaty guy in speedos strangles the other sweaty guy in speedos.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!

fatherdog posted:

The secret of this dumb gay sport is that you watch like three events and all of a sudden you're invested. All of the sarcasm and irony in these threads is just us trying to disguise the fact that we care deeply about which sweaty guy in speedos strangles the other sweaty guy in speedos.

First PPV I purchased with friends and the one that made me start paying attention to MMA for real was Chuck/Rampage II, but more importantly, it also featured Houston Alexander knocking out big favorite Keith Jardine. I now for real care about the career of this objectively terrible fighter who knocked out another objectively terrible fighter.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

LordPants posted:

MMA Snack Rating:

A really delicious steak that's covered Bearnaise sauce, only the sauce tested positive for epo and HGH so you have to scrape the sauce off and instead of having this 10/10 amazing meal it's a 9/10 amazing steak with chips and is still probably better than any other meal but man, it could have been perfect.

Don't sauce a steak.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I was really looking forward to Chael vs. Wandy/Belfort, but this should still be a fun card.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Thauros posted:

I was really looking forward to Chael vs. Wandy/Belfort, but this should still be a fun card.

Let's be honest, the amount of drama those three have brought to the table (and remember, Vitor still isn't done yet) was been well worth the potential bout between any of them.

Silver linings, yall.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

fatherdog posted:

Hey, hey, hey. They banned speedos after Hallman's ball popped out.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

-Atom- posted:

Let's be honest, the amount of drama those three have brought to the table (and remember, Vitor still isn't done yet) was been well worth the potential bout between any of them.

Silver linings, yall.

True.
The fight vs Wand would have just been Wandy flailing on bottom ineffectually until Chael decided to mercifully submit him.
I don't know what the Belfort fight would have been like, but probably would have involved many grotesque mutations like the last boss of Resident Evil 2.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
I am pumped as hell for this card.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Hahahaha BJ Penn vs Frankie Edgar is Sunday and I forgot all about it.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

I've watched all the episodes of the season that they've got up so far on Fight Pass... is there any reason for me to continue watching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
The horrible possibility of being alone with your thoughts

• Locked thread