Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Rizzo back in the day was so slick. It's sad he got fat and started getting knocked out all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!
I went through and added one fight to watch for all the main event guys. Better late than never I guess.

Check out Russell Doane vs. Leandro Issa if you haven't already. I don't think I'd ever actually seen that one and it makes me kind of excited to see him on Saturday now. Doane does some cool poo poo.

If someone wants to recommend fights to link to for the prelim fighters, I'm all ears. I was too lazy to go through and figure all of those out myself.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

UFC Snack Rating: Shake Shack Catering

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Ronda Rousey posted:

It is kind of difficult for me to talk about movies so much. People have been grilling me about it all day. I can't allow myself to be happy about anything until I beat Alexis. I hear so many things that is great news, but I can't take any joy from it until I beat Alexis, I can't relax and I can't enjoy anything. It's not something that I purposely do, it's just that I really cannot. I heard about the ESPY nominations the other day and I could have cared less because I had sparring that day and the only thing I kept thinking about was Alexis. 'Athena Project' is a big movie franchise that I really hope to build up. I want that to be my franchise and Warner Bros. bought the book rights for me and Brad Thor. We finally have a writer brought on and progress is really being made. And I couldn't have been less excited about it because I have to beat Alexis first. As soon as I beat Alexis, I will be so happy about everything else. But I can't allow myself to be happy until that happens. She's like holding my happiness hostage. And that's why this is the most important fight that I've ever had because she's the one I haven't beaten yet.

Ronda is the kind of crazy that makes you really, really good.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Ronda's mom used to gently caress guys like Marv Marinovich in prison

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ronda was on Jim Ross' podcast episode for this week.
I've not listened to it myself, but apparently it's a pretty good listen.

http://podcastone.com/The-Ross-Report

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Aurain posted:

Ronda was on Jim Ross' podcast episode for this week.
I've not listened to it myself, but apparently it's a pretty good listen.

http://podcastone.com/The-Ross-Report

Jim Ross is pretty drunk in his monologue which is fun.
The actual interview is pretty standard fare.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

fatherdog posted:

Reminder that Ronda decided to cut from like 152 to 135 during TUF on like a day's notice, won a rock climbing challenge, and made weight all in like 24 hours. Until Khabib can find a lady-bear to make bantamweight, Ronda ain't losing that belt.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm pretty sure that Ronda would just pack up and go live in the Dagestan wilds for a couple of months if she did have to fight a she-bear anyway.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I have a friend who thinks Ronda is ducking Cyborg out of fear. My friend is super wrong,

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

fatherdog posted:

When was the last time a fighter actually retired when they said they were going to and then stayed retired

When was the last time a fighter was relatively young and had a plethora of opportunities not related to fighting? Hell, if Gina can do it I'm sure Honda is more than capable

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!

Bluedeanie posted:

I have a friend who thinks Ronda is ducking Cyborg out of fear. My friend is super wrong,

Yeah Cyborg is the one ducking Ronda due to fear.

Fear of death.

Fear of death brought on by organ failure after trying to make weight.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
Ronda's reign of arm bars won't be ending anytime soon.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

MycroftXXX posted:

Ronda's reign of arm bars won't be ending anytime soon.

It already did. Now it's just a reign of finishing.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Agent Tough Juice posted:

Yeah Cyborg is the one ducking Ronda due to fear.

Fear of death.

Fear of death brought on by organ failure after trying to make weight.

It is LITERALLY impossible for her to make 135 - :ortiz:

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Ronda makes it to 145.A new reign of terror begins.:allears:

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 3, 2014

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Lamadrid posted:

Ronda makes it to 145.A new reign of terror begins.:allears:

No way UFC puts in a women's featherweight division since there are maybe like 5 decent fighters at that weight (Cyborg, Gomes, Coenen, uh Rothenhausler maybe?)

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

LobsterMobster posted:

No way UFC puts in a women's featherweight division since there are maybe like 5 decent fighters at that weight (Cyborg, Gomes, Coenen, uh Rothenhausler maybe?)

If they establish W145 anytime soon it will probably be because they've signed Carano.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

This article talks about holes in the game of chris weidman and has pretty pictures:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/7/3/5867493/ufc-174-chris-weidman-lyoto-machida-gaps-in-the-armor-how-to-beat-mma-technique-strategy-gif

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I'm sure Gina could make 135 with a real diet and conditioning program. She was never really low bodyfat when she struggled to make 140. Don't forget that she got into Muay Thai because the instructor called her out for being a fatty.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I can't imagine Gina coming back for anything more than the one fight against Rousey, so they'd probably hold it at a catchweight they both like and Gina wouldn't fight again, and Rousey would go back to business as usual.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

LobsterMobster posted:

Reminder that Ronda decided to cut from like 152 to 135 during TUF on like a day's notice, won a rock climbing challenge, and made weight all in like 24 hours. Until Khabib can find a lady-bear to make bantamweight, Ronda ain't losing that belt.

Reading the fighters blogs from her team during that episode make it all the more unreal. They seem to be in awe of that level of dedication. The visible difference in Ronda during the interviews is interesting as well.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Watching the "Ultimate Media Day" live and dominick cruz just said to faber "How has the dynamic in your gym changed with TJ now that he has the belt that you tried to get and never could get, literally"

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Watching the "Ultimate Media Day" live and dominick cruz just said to faber "How has the dynamic in your gym changed with TJ now that he has the belt that you tried to get and never could get, literally"

tough talk coming from a guy that has less functioning legs than roosevelt

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

fatherdog posted:

I like that she says "i could care less" but then "i couldn't have been less excited"

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

There is fishing for a reaction and then there is subtly of throwing dynamite in the water.

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!

What was Uriah's response?

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

Nifft posted:

What was Uriah's response?

Haven't seen it, but my bet is that it was so devastating, Master Thonglor had to carry him away between questions.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

New embedded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e5Sv61kqoM

Edit: Caio Terra's revolutionary tactic to defeat Ronda Rousey - close the guard

LobsterMobster fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 4, 2014

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
to be fair to that one dude, I'd be excited to meet Lyoto Machida too.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Not a bad article, but the guy failed to point out that taking a long leading step into throwing a jab or shooting is where Machida likes to explode forward. Like he did to Bader, Mousasi and Davis quite a bit, Silva tends to wait for his opponent to over extend and then land a big shot, like in the Griffin and Okami fights, Machida will come forward and throw Weidman's timing off and throw either the straight punch or the knee to the body. Should be an interesting thing to see. Machida likes to come forward and damage people when they're not expecting it, Jones managed to fake him out and drop him, as did Shogun in their 2nd fight. Should be interesting to say the least.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

LobsterMobster posted:

New embedded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e5Sv61kqoM

Edit: Caio Terra's revolutionary tactic to defeat Ronda Rousey - close the guard

Caio Terra posted:

The other girls try to strike with her, that didn't work so well. Nobody tried jiujitsu with her.

Has... has Caio Terra seen, like, any Ronda fights other than McMann?

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

When was the last planned catchweight fight?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

fatherdog posted:

Must be a moron, there's a reason no one's closed the guard on Rhonda. She throws them into side control.

heeebrew posted:

When was the last planned catchweight fight?
Franklin Wanderlei was planned 190

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

BlindSite posted:

Must be a moron, there's a reason no one's closed the guard on Rhonda. She throws them into side control.

Franklin Wanderlei was planned 190

Didn't Stout and Noons gentlemanly agree to 170?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

LobsterMobster posted:

Didn't Stout and Noons gentlemanly agree to 170?

Yes, but we're still not sure what Phillippe Chartier weighed in at

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Excellent OP, and thanks for posting all the BTS clips. Getting hyped for this one.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

fatherdog posted:

That's honestly the only thing that makes sense, he should know better.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I want to marry Machida and eat gluten free tapioca pancakes with him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Hit him in the body, keep the pressure up and don't let him jab you.

Hmmm it's not like that's the blueprint to beat literally every fighter in the world in pretty much every combat sport or anything.

• Locked thread