Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Coolguye posted:

Cleaner Basic's good, Cleaner ace is a waste imo, Die Hard basic can be nice though. Firing off a Thanatos to punk a Bulldozer or Shield that's gloating over your corpse is fantastic. That said, not a huge thing, probably not a terrible loss if you ever get it. Combat Medic is definitely the weakest of all the bottom tier Mastermind skills and is fantastic if you have Aced Inspire. Just...not before that.

Aced Cleaner is in my DW Ghost build. It is useful (and only useful) to successfully stealth maps by giving you the most "Oh poo poo" buttons possible:

http://goo.gl/JYswWi

Basically, do all of the DW missions you can stealth, then respec and never look back. This build is absolutely useless outside of sneaking missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Geight posted:

This game is hella fun, and I don't have anything else to say because the OP actually answered the question I was gonna ask about the big stealth rework that apparently veteran players don't like.

For some reason, every single time Overkill makes an announcement on the Steam group, at least one person in the comments bitches about how stealth is still totally broken and that they need to fix it. I don't actually know what they're talking about.

Speaking of though, I don't think this is in the OP and it should be: :siren: Join the official Payday 2 Steam Group and get free stuff. :siren: It's nothing amazing, just some weapons and masks, but free is free.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Some folks hate stealth, but those with the dedication to learn and understand the systems it employs can get major benefits from using it. Fellis, consider adding a brief mention of stealth bonuses to the OP.

Opposing Farce posted:

Are the door hacking/safe picking perks really not useful? They both seem like they'd be incredibly valuable for doing certain heists stealthily without busting out the drill.
ECM Overdrive Aced is useful on some higher difficulties. The problem is that Overkill added Titan safes to the game, which can't be picked or blown open. On the two highest difficulties, a lot of the safes are Titan safes.

Grapplejack posted:

The picking perks are a loving necessity for Go Bank, though, considering you can't use the saw.

This is no longer the case. If you've got all mobile civilians under control, the saw is fine.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

ECM overdrive trivializes several frustrating RNG factors on stealthing a number of maps. Lockpicking helped with stealthing Night Club, which didn't really need to be easier, and it doesn't take up any equipment slots. But it does take up pretty valuable "using guns" time.

Lockpicking isn't as necessary for GO Bank as in the past, they removed the angry neighbors, but gently caress everything about GO Bank forever.

Drewjitsu posted:

Aced Cleaner is in my DW Ghost build. It is useful (and only useful) to successfully stealth maps by giving you the most "Oh poo poo" buttons possible:

http://goo.gl/JYswWi

Basically, do all of the DW missions you can stealth, then respec and never look back. This build is absolutely useless outside of sneaking missions.

Ugh now you've made me think about doing FF in stealth and i threw up.

Fellis posted:

Stealth:

I'm glad somebody appreciated that.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Tulip posted:

ECM overdrive trivializes several frustrating RNG factors on stealthing a number of maps. Lockpicking helped with stealthing Night Club, which didn't really need to be easier, and it doesn't take up any equipment slots. But it does take up pretty valuable "using guns" time.
It also takes up 12 skill points that would be better used practically anywhere else. That's really my complaint about ECM Overdrive and safecracking, they just have no business being 4/8 skills. Really I think it would be a big improvement to the ghost tree overall if we just dropped Dead Presidents completely, moved Lockpicking Expert to the vacated spot, and made the vacated 4/8 spot something actually useful to stealthing, like the aforementioned double detection fill. Or maybe let's just rip off Alpha Protocol and put in something like Awareness in that game.

Situational Awareness Basic: all guards and cameras within 5 meters of you will be auto-spotted during inflitration mode. Ace: 15 meters.

It still suffers from the problem of after an alarm goes off, that's 12 skill points you will never use again, but at least that skill will actually help you not have an alarm go off by making turning a corner at the exact wrong time a thing of the past.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 1, 2014

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Some folks hate stealth, but those with the dedication to learn and understand the systems it employs can get major benefits from using it. Fellis, consider adding a brief mention of stealth bonuses to the OP.

ECM Overdrive Aced is useful on some higher difficulties. The problem is that Overkill added Titan safes to the game, which can't be picked or blown open. On the two highest difficulties, a lot of the safes are Titan safes.

This is no longer the case. If you've got all mobile civilians under control, the saw is fine.

poo poo, I didn't know that. I'll have to pick up a goon group and try stealthing go bank, I've never actually done it.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

poo poo, I didn't know that. I'll have to pick up a goon group and try stealthing go bank, I've never actually done it.

Just be sure you have some time - it can take a long while to stealth properly, cause you need good RNG on the phonecalls. Also, have someone with pager-disabling ECMs. It helps a lot when you can rush in, kill 2 guards, and not have 2 people tied down to answer the pagers. You take care of the cameras as a 4, you take care of the civies as a 4, and then you answer any pagers left.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Coolguye posted:

It also takes up 12 skill points that would be better used practically anywhere else. That's really my complaint about ECM Overdrive and safecracking, they just have no business being 4/8 skills. Really I think it would be a big improvement to the ghost tree overall if we just dropped Dead Presidents completely, moved Lockpicking Expert to the vacated spot, and made the vacated 4/8 spot something actually useful to stealthing, like the aforementioned double detection fill. Or maybe let's just rip off Alpha Protocol and put in something like Awareness in that game.

Situational Awareness Basic: all guards and cameras within 5 meters of you will be auto-spotted during inflitration mode. Ace: 15 meters.

It still suffers from the problem of after an alarm goes off, that's 12 skill points you will never use again, but at least that skill will actually help you not have an alarm go off by making turning a corner at the exact wrong time a thing of the past.

The Ghost Tree suffers a lot, and one of the problems is that the best skills are at the bottom. The Technician tree has the skill desert in the middle, but at least once you hit the top you get Bulletproof. Whatever may be said about ECM Overdrive and Lockpicking, they're still better than Camera Loop or feedback.

Honestly i don't like the idea of skills that are only good for stealthing. Cleaner provides a nice 'consolation prize,' and should be a model for other Ghost skills.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I see a tree with all the good skills at the bottom as a blessing. Technician has a much bigger problem in that half of its skills are poo poo at all tiers.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I just bought this game in the sale and am playing it with my regular coop group. They are a master/ghost at 100 and Ghost have a tech/enforcer at 100.

I am currently lvl 40ish and thinking of going tech/ghost, is that a viable choice?

Reith
Jul 23, 2007

Tulip posted:

The Ghost Tree suffers a lot, and one of the problems is that the best skills are at the bottom. The Technician tree has the skill desert in the middle, but at least once you hit the top you get Bulletproof. Whatever may be said about ECM Overdrive and Lockpicking, they're still better than Camera Loop or feedback.

Honestly i don't like the idea of skills that are only good for stealthing. Cleaner provides a nice 'consolation prize,' and should be a model for other Ghost skills.

Don't forget Moving Target. Dear god, what were they thinking with that one?

I have 600 hours in this game and I've NEVER heard of anyone using that skill.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Reith posted:

Don't forget Moving Target. Dear god, what were they thinking with that one?

I have 600 hours in this game and I've NEVER heard of anyone using that skill.

I admit, I took it once for shits and giggles. Haven't found a single place in the game where it had any practical use. Nothing.
They really should revamp the Ghost skill tree. And make Camera Loop applicable via the Camera Feed, and add the camera feed EVERYWHERE.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Tulip posted:

What's wrong with Feedback? Feedback is great!

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

Chimano Custom

John Murdoch posted:

Join the official Payday 2 Steam Group and get free stuff.

Discendo Vox posted:

Fellis, consider adding a brief mention of stealth bonuses to the OP.

What a Change! Keep 'em comin!

Shockeh posted:

What's wrong with Feedback? Feedback is great!

Feedback is one of those skills that look really good on paper, and can even appear effective in use, but when you think about it the point investment is actually quite bad for the utility you get out of the skill. If you are using Feedback it means that you have gone loud and probably failed stealth which is the only place that ECMs are really useful. There are few cases where Feedback is useful: when you have set off the alarm but have completed enough objectives that you can still hold out the assault in suits (unlikely on harder difficulties) and when nobody in your group has Shaped Charges to open security doors and the security doors you need to open are situated at chokepoints that you need to defend.

In all other cases, it would be better to take Ammo/meds/shaped charges over Feedback ECMs for missions where you are going loud. They only provide an area denial for a short amount of time and missions in this game last upwards of 15 minutes on harder difficulties. Ammo will provide a much more valuable resource for area denial over that amount of time.

Fellis fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 1, 2014

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Sadly, a lot of skills fall into the look-good-on-paper category.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
So are they still adding to this game or is it pretty much finished?

And is there a way to respec your skills?

vvv I got it on sale but my friend who I play every game ever with somehow has the only comp you could buy in the last year that can't run this game for some reason.

Philosopher King fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 1, 2014

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Philosopher King posted:

So are they still adding to this game or is it pretty much finished?

And is there a way to respec your skills?

Fellis posted:

Overkill has done amazingly well with Payday 2 and has the funding to produce more DLC for the next year and a half. Most of the Paid stuff they have released so far, and especially the more recent stuff has been fantastic. I think this is gonna be a game that sticks around for quite awhile, so you should pick it up now!

Also yes, you click the respec skill tree button at the bottom of the skills menu!

quote:

vvv I got it on sale but my friend who I play every game ever with somehow has the only comp you could buy in the last year that can't run this game for some reason.

You don't need friends when you have goons! :v:

Fellis fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 1, 2014

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Forced to pub due it being too early for most players and boy is it funny the excuses pubs will make to get out of having any responsibilities in any job. "I didn't see the guard call going out", "I didn't kill them so it isn't my job" and "Just reddo it" way before it's about to go hot.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I may have grinded myself out of the game for at least a day or two. Got to Infamy II, and I'm curious if there is a recommended tree to get your first 10% off for? I picked Mastermind because I felt like I was putting points willy nilly in that tree most of all to get up to Inspire.

Technician was also high on my list of having more skills that may be skippable.

Is there any perceived 'best' order? We don't have a lot of infamy talk in this thread, so I figured I'd start some.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

New DLC teaser page up:

http://www.overkillsoftware.com/gageshotgunpack/

e: Looks like explosive shells, drum mags, new automatic shotgun, new secondary shotgun :allears:

Also some sort of baton or metal bat melee weapon? drat. I'm hoping they make different ammunition types as mods or something it looks like we are getting explosive at least, slugs would be awesome too.

Fellis fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 1, 2014

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Looks like Explosive rounds are in or some poo poo. Dude shotgunning a shield into some sort of stunlock and killing him!

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I may have grinded myself out of the game for at least a day or two. Got to Infamy II, and I'm curious if there is a recommended tree to get your first 10% off for? I picked Mastermind because I felt like I was putting points willy nilly in that tree most of all to get up to Inspire.

Technician was also high on my list of having more skills that may be skippable.

Is there any perceived 'best' order? We don't have a lot of infamy talk in this thread, so I figured I'd start some.

Look at your build. You probably have the utility skills, and then the main tree you went for, and a secondary tree somewhere up to tier 5. Invest into that secondary tree at infamy II so you can spend even less points there.

Fellis posted:

Feedback is one of those skills that look really good on paper, and can even appear effective in use, but when you think about it the point investment is actually quite bad for the utility you get out of the skill. If you are using Feedback it means that you have gone loud and probably failed stealth which is the only place that ECMs are really useful. There are few cases where Feedback is useful: when you have set off the alarm but have completed enough objectives that you can still hold out the assault in suits (unlikely on harder difficulties) and when nobody in your group has Shaped Charges to open security doors and the security doors you need to open are situated at chokepoints that you need to defend.

In all other cases, it would be better to take Ammo/meds/shaped charges over Feedback ECMs for missions where you are going loud. They only provide an area denial for a short amount of time and missions in this game last upwards of 15 minutes on harder difficulties. Ammo will provide a much more valuable resource for area denial over that amount of time.

Well it depends. I run with my crew and we have a Mastermind with 2 medbags, enforcer with 2 ammo bags, me as a Ghost with 2 ECM and our tech running whatever is needed, shaped charges, extra ammo or whatever. We split the resources in ways that allow us to sustain through all the missions on overkill, and nothing helps as much as some feedback time when the mastermind with inspire and someone else is down. Especially since it can shut down Bulldozers.

And as I was writing this, this happened: http://www.overkillsoftware.com/gageshotgunpack/

vvvvvvv
On the roof of Big Bank, is that a knee kick animation? That's :krad:

Kikas fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 1, 2014

Rapt0rCharles9231
Oct 20, 2008
Pulled the direct video link to see a little better

http://www.overkillsoftware.com/gageshotgunpack/video.mp4

Looks like a KSG, Street Sweeper, benelli m4 (I think)

ALSO a shovel melee weapon!

Rapt0rCharles9231 fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 1, 2014

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

Hmm.

If they add shotguns more powerful than the Loco, then they'll be overpowered.

If they add shotguns less powerful than the Loco, then the DLC will feel a bit pointless.

And regardless, I'll buy it!

BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011

Fellis posted:

New DLC teaser page up:

http://www.overkillsoftware.com/gageshotgunpack/

e: Looks like explosive shells, drum mags, new automatic shotgun, new secondary shotgun :allears:

Also some sort of baton or metal bat melee weapon? drat. I'm hoping they make different ammunition types as mods or something it looks like we are getting explosive at least, slugs would be awesome too.

:stare: This is some deliberate timing right here. They release the most epic map yet, get PD2 into the hands of tons of new players through summer sale, and a day later release an mind-blowing DLC to show them what's to come in the next year.

Well played, Overkill. :golfclap:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I sure as hell hope that that's a Striker I see.

Edit: Also that the different types of ammo will be for all the shotguns.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
This thread having the same tag as the Secret discussion thread has really hosed me up when I look at a thread listing.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
Any takers?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
IS HE BEATING A COP WITH A POLICE BATON? I like that the first confirmed mask for the Shotty pack is a Baboon as primal killing urges are what the shotgun and explosive rounds are all about!

I'll be okay if they don't have the AA-12, even though the round ammo magazine and frag rounds aren't making my heart soar at the idea of automatic explosive punishment.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
About time Gage gave us an entrenching tool to beat cops with.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

Bootcha posted:

About time Gage gave us an entrenching tool to beat cops with.

BEAT THAT DIRT!

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
The only mask I'll ever need.

e: also gonna buy that dlc just so I can beat cops with their own batons

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 1, 2014

Rapt0rCharles9231
Oct 20, 2008

Sykic posted:

Any takers?

Posted the answer above already, but

Street Sweeper (Striker)

Kel-Tec KSG

Benelli M4

Also a baton, and a shovel for melee weapons.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sykic posted:

Any takers?

Looks like Striker, KSG and XM1014.

Thank You Card
Mar 20, 2007

I'm your only friend.

Sykic posted:

Any takers?

I watched the trailer and came to the same conclusion as the other guy. They really do look like the striker, KSG, and m4

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Sykic posted:

BEAT THAT DIRT!

If anyone can't quite catch it. I thought it was the knee in ICTV at first.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Jeez, I haven't played this since January and they added the grenades and stabbin' knives I always wanted. Why didn't I check the DLC during the Summer Sale? :negative:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Shovel melee :swoon:

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

watho posted:

Shovel melee :swoon:

Now I can be a shovel knight in this game too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I wonder if a shovel is going to be a mission asset as well, like how EMP can be used to stun baddies but also open important doors. It'd be cool if a shovel can be used to strike back against the porcine forces of the bourgeoisie fight the power hit cops but also dig a hole for some mission-specific reason. In that image it looks like it's on the roof of the Treasury Benevolent Big Bank, which makes me wonder if there's going to be per-map additions like adding safe cracking or escape plans.

Also, hope they're boosting the reward on Big Bank. If clearing the vault you're looking at 20 minutes plus in most cases, and the reward is usually less than half that of a decent Firestarter run, which takes less than 40 minutes.

Hell, you can solo some maps in less time for a better time/reward ratio. While I appreciate the intangibles of mowing down practically every cop in the DC-DelMarVa area, the goal is money or XP or item drops, and that's better served elsewhere.

• Locked thread