Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grumpicat
May 27, 2005
Mood: Angsty
I see a lot of advice around here for hard up liberal arts majors to go officer. Aside from how realistic that is, wouldn't most of them end up SWO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Grumpicat posted:

I see a lot of advice around here for hard up liberal arts majors to go officer. Aside from how realistic that is, wouldn't most of them end up SWO?

My roommate out in Hawaii had a degree in music and actually taught jr high band while another good friend's was in sports marketing. Both SWOs. I also have a friend that didn't technically finish his degree, but somehow still commissioned and served 2 and a half years as a SWO before getting medboarded with PTSD. I think he did actually complete his degree before he put on O-2, but still :lol:

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Boon posted:

So I am at the point where I am sitting down to write essays and such for an MBA application package and I'm completely loving lost since I have no idea where to begin on these essay questions about the field that I'm looking to get into (Healthcare Administration/Management).

So naturally I google things in order to start getting a frame of reference for problems within the industry when I stumble upon something. I can translate an MBA into the Medical Corps as a Healthcare Administration Officer or the VA in a similar manner. I don't even have to follow through on it but at least now I have somewhat of an idea on how I'd approach an essay.

Since we have a lot of HM's in here, is there anyone that has interacted with any of these admin types?

I did. I never worked in admin but I knew a LT who worked there on a first-name basis. He got a dual MBA/MPH from an Ivy League school specializing in humanitarian aid logistics and the officer recruiter told him he could totally do that in the Navy. Then after OIS they put him in a podunk MTF where his job was preparing powerpoint slides based on data from a 1980s unix shell program that can't even save a text document, you have to do this weird print spooler thing. Anyways, I helped him make a spreadsheet once and I pointed out that the linear regression on the graph had an r^2 value of something absurd like .30, and he just shrugged and said "yeah nobody knows the difference they just want to see if the number went up or down this month." Dude was wicked smart and super cool and the level of mouthbreathing retards that ran the place just broke his spirit. I think he got to go on a Comfort/Mercy cruise after I got out though, so hopefully he's at least floating around somewhere pretending like he's getting to do what he thought he was going to get to do. I felt so bad for the guy.

EDIT: What exactly were you looking to find out?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Generally, just looking for impressions on individuals who have filled that role. Specifically:
- What kind of position I'd fill
- What entry level is like (and what promotion status is like)
- What the job entails and who I'd report too
- How the experience would translate in the civilian sector

Obviously, most of those are unanswerable if you're not directly tied to it, but the Navy website is of course not very helpful. Also, I'm currently an O3 and will probably do Reserves while finishing my MBA with the potential to put on O4 in that period. So I have no idea how they would handle that situation with a lat transfer to the Medical Corps...

Boon fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 28, 2014

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

God drat I'd be a LT if I was still in.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

God drat I'd be a LT if I was still in.

There's nothing quite so frightening as seeing your classmates with scrambled eggs on facebook.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Boon posted:

Generally, just looking for impressions on individuals who have filled that role. Specifically:
- What kind of position I'd fill
- What entry level is like (and what promotion status is like)
- What the job entails and who I'd report too
- How the experience would translate in the civilian sector

Obviously, most of those are unanswerable if you're not directly tied to it, but the Navy website is of course not very helpful. Also, I'm currently an O3 and will probably do Reserves while finishing my MBA with the potential to put on O4 in that period. So I have no idea how they would handle that situation with a lat transfer to the Medical Corps...

Well, technically you'd be in the Medical Service Corps, not the Medical Corps. Almost all the healthcare admin people work under the DFA, which I'm 95% sure stands for Director for Administration, who is a senior MSC-HCA (O5 in both hospitals I worked at). Promotion is very good for Healthcare Admin folks (every DFA I can remember made O6 and got an XO/CO tour elsewhere), as they are in a group with all the random non-doctor, non-nurse jobs (PA, Optometrist, Pharmacist, Social Workers, etc), who all have very specific patient-oriented jobs that generally prevent them from getting the same kind of command-level positions that HCA people get. Generally everybody else gets screwed on trying to compete on evals with a guy that runs the business side of the hospital, when their eval is pretty much just "I did my job and saw some patients" and the HCAs can write about all the command-level initiatives they started and how much monopoly-money they saved/made for the hospital. Because of the job description for HCAs, they generally get a pile of random administration collaterals as well (command legal officer, etc), since their schedule is less "see a patient every twenty minutes" and more "get this job done" giving them more flexibility in the command to take on those sorts of roles. In the two commands I was at (both small and fairly isolated), they were generally one of two or three at the command in their designator, which combined with what they actually did to make them fairly high profile. As far as I've ever seen, they have excellent marketability in the civilian sector when they get out. Entry level is more or less running the business side of the house for the hospital (dealing with tricare business issues, GS and contract employee management/supervision, etc). Often times due to their role, they seem to end up as the semi-official laison between the command suite and the civilian employees of the hospital. During a gapped billet I've seen an O3 sitting on the executive steering committee, which for any other corps/designator (Nursing, MD, etc) would be O5 at minimum and O6 more likely.

Feel free to PM me any additional questions. If I don't know, I can always ask. I'm still facebook friends with a few.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I deal with those types on occasion in civilian hospitals, and it's pretty similar. The one major exception is that doctor retention/recruitment is a huge deal that everybody in the admin side of the house gets to deal with daily. It's not as bad at smaller hospitals, but when you start getting into trauma rated and major orthopedic hospitals the egos get out of control.

The plus side, at least from what I can tell, is that if you can avoid getting fire, it seems like it is pretty easy to move up the ladder. One particular hospital I know of has a 40 year old CEO and a 35 year old CFO.

Also, I did some work for a guy that did business management stuff for a lot of small surgery centers as a contractor. He would show up once or twice a week and tell them how to spend their money, he didn't seem like he had a clue, but they paid him enough to fly first class from TX to CO whenever they needed him on site.

If sitting in a hospital all day makes you want to blow your brains out most any vendor would be happy to hire you, they love guys who know how to sit in a boardroom and do doctor speak without dropping F bombs every two seconds.

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010
Is it as stupid easy as it seems to get into human resources as a lat transfer noble? The last board results I saw had them open to YG02-12 which is kind of ridiculous.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret
Was on a DDG today with a bunch of midshipmen. They looked so eager to help. If only they could see the :flame: that awaits them.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Grumpicat posted:

Degrees held by people I personally know in aviation (pilot or NFO): History, Political Science, Economics, English. I will caveat that I don't have any experience with recruiting or the officer accessions pipeline (other than going through it), but I seriously have never heard of the type of degree making a difference for most* communities. In fact, there's an (apocryphal) notion that people with aerospace degrees actually have a tougher time in early flight school because they're not really teaching/testing for true aeronautical knowledge, just that you can study and remember what you're taught. (that being said, most guys with Aero degrees do just fine provided they're not shitbags)

*exceptions being Nukes, and maybe IW or some other weird ones

Ron Jeremy posted:

There's nothing quite so frightening as seeing your classmates with scrambled eggs on facebook.

There's a contractor/reservist O-3 who works on our avionics software and was an instructor for our current department heads / a contemporary of our current crop of COs/XOs. Cool as poo poo, though a weird combination of "laid back LT" and "O-5 era experience".

Grumpicat
May 27, 2005
Mood: Angsty

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Degrees held by people I personally know in aviation (pilot or NFO): History, Political Science, Economics, English. I will caveat that I don't have any experience with recruiting or the officer accessions pipeline (other than going through it), but I seriously have never heard of the type of degree making a difference for most* communities. In fact, there's an (apocryphal) notion that people with aerospace degrees actually have a tougher time in early flight school because they're not really teaching/testing for true aeronautical knowledge, just that you can study and remember what you're taught. (that being said, most guys with Aero degrees do just fine provided they're not shitbags)

Ah, that's cool. I bring it up because I ended up enlisting with a degree for a variety of not-so-good reasons but it's working out pretty well for me. I'd rather be a NFO or the rate I wanted but I wouldn't pick SWO over my job. A friend of mine enlisted after college and did exceptionally well afterwards, and I hear really good things about some of the CT rates. I don't know much about CTN but it sounds like you can transition really well into the civilian world from it.

Grumpicat fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 28, 2014

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

DinosaurWarfare posted:

Is it as stupid easy as it seems to get into human resources as a lat transfer noble? The last board results I saw had them open to YG02-12 which is kind of ridiculous.

It's generally as "easy" as it is to get into any other relatively open restricted line community. That's to say, the lat transfer board makes plenty of selections every time, but they get such a mountain of applications that it's still a competition. I would expect to put in two or three applications to the board, at least, prior to getting picked up even with a decent record.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
QuietWilds/Bengy81,

Thanks for the background here, that is immensely helpful. It sounds like a pretty solid route to at least begin a career and I will definitely be exploring this option.

Bright Eyes
Sep 5, 2011

orange juche posted:

It doesn't matter, CTN is wide open and starved for warm bodies, so if you qualify for it, you should be able to get it no matter the time of month.

I lurk GiP every now and then. It still blows my mind the only reason I am not in the Navy right now is because I read one letter wrong at MEPS. CTN requires vision correctable to 20/20 (because pixels are so hard to see!). At MEPS I was corrected to 20/25. (They also DQ'ed me for allegedly having one testicle, but that was fixed...) Anyway, my detailer showed me the 6 CTN slots he had, but he was not allowed to give me without a waiver. The guy responsible for the waiver, who I think was in TN, came back and said no. That was even with a review from my optometrist saying I was correctable to 20/20...before I went to MEPS. The waiver guy said only 100% qualified people were allowed and I could have cried to my optometrist. So, don't forget you need vision correctable to 20/20! Not 20/25. It's gotta be 20/20. Only the best. And no, the detailer will not take your optometrist's record stating you have 20/20. Why? Because gently caress you that's why.

To the guy that asked: If you can't get in through military, try civilian.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

*exceptions being Nukes, and maybe IW or some other weird ones

There's a contractor/reservist O-3 who works on our avionics software and was an instructor for our current department heads / a contemporary of our current crop of COs/XOs. Cool as poo poo, though a weird combination of "laid back LT" and "O-5 era experience".

Major doesn't matter for nukes either. Poli Sci, Communications, Astronomy, Music, Business, Forestry Management, all on my submarine within the last couple years. As long as your GPA is good in whatever bullshit major you pick and you can swing a B in a couple calculus and physics classes you're golden.

If you ask me the nuclear navy needs *more* liberal arts majors.

Zarc
Jul 25, 2014

Cerekk posted:

Major doesn't matter for nukes either. Poli Sci, Communications, Astronomy, Music, Business, Forestry Management, all on my submarine within the last couple years. As long as your GPA is good in whatever bullshit major you pick and you can swing a B in a couple calculus and physics classes you're golden.

If you ask me the nuclear navy needs *more* liberal arts majors.

There were a lot of majors when I went to interview in DC. The admiral really did ream the Poly Sci guy though, he made it through, but then refused to sign the paperwork. For the NUPOC program, if you have a technical major (comp sci doesn't count iterestingly) you can come in with 2 years or less to graduate otherwise 1 year. That's the only time the major matters.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Cerekk posted:

Major doesn't matter for nukes either.

Well poo poo, for some reason I thought nukes were special. So yeah, it really, really doesn't matter.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
Don't forget, there's still the Cyber Warfare Engineer program as well that launched 2-3 years ago. It's CTN work, at an officer rate, without any of that leadership bullshit to worry about.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Vriess posted:

Don't forget, there's still the Cyber Warfare Engineer program as well that launched 2-3 years ago. It's CTN work, at an officer rate, without any of that leadership bullshit to worry about.

Be aware, however, it's only a six year career plan. After that, you either get out, or lat transfer to another IDC career field.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

It's the anniversary of the Forrestal fire. Do they still make you watch that movie about it in boot?

bengy81
May 8, 2010
We were sitting in Dahlgren for a dumb c-school graduation and the IC3 in charge of the projector played the first 10 mins of the Forestall video for an auditorium full of parents and grandparents. Definitely one of the most WTF moments I remember from the navy.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

bengy81 posted:

We were sitting in Dahlgren for a dumb c-school graduation and the IC3 in charge of the projector played the first 10 mins of the Forestall video for an auditorium full of parents and grandparents. Definitely one of the most WTF moments I remember from the navy.

lol sick troll

Zarc
Jul 25, 2014

Madurai posted:

It's the anniversary of the Forrestal fire. Do they still make you watch that movie about it in boot?

They showed it to us in sub school right before we did the firefighting training in full gear.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.

Zarc posted:

They showed it to us in sub school right before we did the firefighting training in full gear.

What rate are/were you

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Are CPO results supposed to come out today?

BovineAdapter
Jan 5, 2007
Dr3 Noodle

Sir Lucius posted:

Are CPO results supposed to come out today?

I heard Command Triad gets them today, notification of non-selects tomorrow, and then the NAVADMIN is supposed to be out Friday.

Zarc
Jul 25, 2014

Schlabbalabba posted:

What rate are/were you

I was an officer. Served on the USS Kentucky SSBN 737 Blue Crew
(typo'd the first time)

Zarc fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 31, 2014

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
My command has a chief on restriction because he didn't go to FEP. Welp

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Sir Lucius posted:

Awesome. In one of my old squadrons we put our line shack chief on restriction for sexually harassing two of the female plane captains.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Haha holy poo poo one of my co-workers had liquor in his room (not supposed to, everyone does, no one cares, he apparently didn't know) and there was a health and comfort. He lost his orders to Naples, got NJP'd, got extended here, and is now needs of the Navy lol

Welp that's my story

We had a guy on deployment from Rota, Spain that only chose those orders for the COLA and had never left the base :argh:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Christoff posted:

We had a guy on deployment from Rota, Spain that only chose those orders for the COLA and had never left the base :argh:

That's about the worse thing ever for someone stationed OCONUS.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Sir Lucius posted:

I've never seen a chief on FEP. Pics or it didn't happen.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Must be one of those rare chiefs that get outcasted from THE GOAT LOCKER

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Christoff posted:

Haha holy poo poo one of my co-workers had liquor in his room (not supposed to, everyone does, no one cares, he apparently didn't know) and there was a health and comfort. He lost his orders to Naples, got NJP'd, got extended here, and is now needs of the Navy lol

Welp that's my story

drat, lmao. My LPO went everywhere while he was in Naples, even got a hard on for Scotland and Scottish culture rhat he has a formal kilt he wears whenever we go out to celebrate poo poo.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I'm so jealous of Euro Navy dudes. All my friends there are posting poo poo in a different country every weekend :argh:

I know one dude who has managed to swing 4 years in loving Rota. Bastard

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Seqenenra posted:

I've never seen a chief on FEP. Pics or it didn't happen.

This is an intel command. No one isn't fat.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Sir Lucius posted:

This is an intel command. No one isn't fat.

Jeez, tell me about it. I'm unit CFL because I'm the only one who can score high enough. Last cycle I had 6 failures, half of them nobles.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

One of my former department heads was adsepped because of failing the weigh ins. He passed the physical portion but could never pass the tape. He was a fat gently caress, though. Got a decent severance, got to keep his swocp, finish out his second department head tour, and transfer into the reserves.

One of the commodores would randomly show up on ships with his CFL and start weighing in khakis. It was awesome to see certain people sweat. Pissed off the captain to no end, but that was mainly because it was dropped on him without warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
That sounds like a real winner, going around and loving commands out of their systems experts and wizened old hands because they didn't fit the 21st Century Navy's idea of body image

(We've all posted before about how you can't have fat fucks on board that you have to haul out of casualty spaces, but that's not what poo poo like a rope and choke catches)

• Locked thread