Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Trade Rick Porcello before he turns back into a bad pitcher.

The Rangers have a power hitter they'd probably like to move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Hi guys the Mariners are fun and good at baseball and it's been a while since I could say that.

Also Kyle Seager deserves an all-star slot

ManifunkDestiny fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 2, 2014

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance
N: Red Sox now have the lowest OPS and second lowest OPS+ in the AL (last year, they had the best OPS and OPS+ in the MLB)
V: :suicide:

dat one portagee
Dec 6, 2006

WAT DOIN BUG?

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Hi guys the Mariners are fun and good at baseball and it's been a while since I could say that.

Also Kyle Seager deserves an all-star slot

Agreed. I actually look forward to checking the mariners box scores now

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Crimson Sox posted:

N: Red Sox now have the lowest OPS and second lowest OPS+ in the AL (last year, they had the best OPS and OPS+ in the MLB)

Fluke World Series

edit: The Padres extended Seth Smith for some reason. For two years.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Harlock posted:

edit: The Padres extended Seth Smith for some reason. For two years.

It's probably a fluke but he's currently their only even vaugely competent hitter.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I wonder if the orders to the new front office are to make the team competitive soon which would be hilarious.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

MourningView posted:

It's probably a fluke but he's currently their only even vaugely competent hitter.

They should probably trade him because I'm thinking his hitting will mean dick next year just like it is this year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Groucho Marxist posted:

They should probably trade him because I'm thinking his hitting will mean dick next year just like it is this year.

This is almost certainly true, I was just giving what I assume their reason is. They do not appear to be an especially well run organization.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Crimson Sox posted:

Cardinals are 5th-worst in both in 2014 after being #2 in 2013.

The World Series is a trap. Do not appear in the World Series. Look at the Giants, only able to win every other year because their appearance the prior year makes them suck in the subsequent year.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

appearing in the world series is cool

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

However, thanks to Mookie Betts our adorable dimple cheek factor is off the charts.

Just wanna pinch 'em

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

N: Sean Rodriguez hit a ball 445 feet about an hour ago.

V: What alternate universe have I slipped into?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

FairGame posted:

Cardinals are 5th-worst in both in 2014 after being #2 in 2013.

The World Series is a trap. Do not appear in the World Series. Look at the Giants, only able to win every other year because their appearance the prior year makes them suck in the subsequent year.

I agree, never appearing in a world series since the end of World War II is a winning strategy for championship ballclubs.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Groucho Marxist posted:

This pleases me if only because it ought to improve the market for Alex Rios. Thanks, Dads.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Not that I agree with the idea of extending Smith, but the Padres have had absolute poo poo luck with injuries for the last 3 seasons and, under Byrnes at least, were being run pretty decently. Combine that with most of the offense, minus Smith, falling off a cliff so far this season and I don't necessarily think they're that far away from contending for a WC.

Having said that, I really want them to sell hard at the deadline but this extension doesn't bode well for that.
It'll be interesting to see what happens with Headley going forward, given his .201/.287/.320 slash line so far this year.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
N: In logo/uni news, MLB has announced that instead of wearing their normal team caps, each player playing in the All-Star Game will be wearing a special cap based upon the 1970s Twins caps

V: I really think the only ones that came out good are Toronto, Baltimore, and San Diego.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Diamondbacks, as usual, look loving awful. Get rid of that lovely brick red and go back to teal and purple, you fuckers.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
I like a lot of those caps. I less like the impulse to make every decision in terms of selling new merchandise.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

N: In logo/uni news, MLB has announced that instead of wearing their normal team caps, each player playing in the All-Star Game will be wearing a special cap based upon the 1970s Twins caps

V: I really think the only ones that came out good are Toronto, Baltimore, and San Diego.

Mariners with DAT turquoise bill

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

White Sox hat is also pretty sharp.

e: by 2050, baseball teams will have 162 different uniforms.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
oh wow dark blue and white with a D, real original. :rolleyes:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I bought that Twins hat at a game earlier this season and can confirm that the style indeed owns if your team doesn't have a poo poo logo/color scheme.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

tadashi posted:

N: Sean Rodriguez hit a ball 445 feet about an hour ago.

V: What alternate universe have I slipped into?

Rodriguez tends to really get into em when he does hit one for some reason. He's unironically a fun player to have as long as you obviously keep your expectations low.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Mornacale posted:

I like a lot of those caps. I less like the impulse to make every decision in terms of selling new merchandise.

Ehh, it's a harmless business decision. Alternate caps are one of the least annoying things about the All Star game.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

The Baltimore one looks almost identical to their home cap.

(Which is probably one of the best hats in MLB regardless, but still.)

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Mornacale posted:

Who cares, they're cool hats.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I love every image like that that shows that baseball is Red Teams vs. Blue Teams vs. Orange Teams except for Pittsburgh, Oakland, Colorado, the White Sox, and maaaybe Seattle (blue team)

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

ALFbrot posted:

I love every image like that that shows that baseball is Red Teams vs. Blue Teams vs. Orange Teams except for Pittsburgh, Oakland, Colorado, the White Sox, and maaaybe Seattle (blue team)

What about the White Sox?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Ammat The Ankh posted:

What about the White Sox?

NICE READING DUMMY

(I stealth edited it in)

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Oddly I like the Royals hat but not the Rays.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Baseball really does seem to have an unusual amount of orange. I wonder why teams neglect green so much.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
At least they aren't ugly like every single other camo/USA/home run derby specialty hat

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Mornacale posted:

Baseball really does seem to have an unusual amount of orange. I wonder why teams neglect green so much.

Oakland pulls it off so well other teams need not bother.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's funny how the four most recent expansion teams initially rejected the Orange/Blue/Red triumvirate and only the Rockies remain the last holdout. Dbacks in particular was a shameful grab at the "RED SELLS T-SHIRTS" gimmick.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Mornacale posted:

It's probably related to most teams being so old that there was a time when fabric that wasn't grey, black, red, dark blue was considerably more expensive

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Speaking of orange, in honor of Tony Gwynn the Padres should bring back at a minimum their blue and orange jerseys if not the brown. His highlight packages reminded me of how much better that team used to look.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
I might be wrong but I think the Padres have worn the old brown/yellow throwbacks this season?

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Abner Assington posted:

I might be wrong but I think the Padres have worn the old brown/yellow throwbacks this season?

they used these and they are rad as heck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

angrygodofjebus posted:

they used these and they are rad as heck

Huh. Ray Kroc arm memorial and everything.

• Locked thread