Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

R.D. Mangles posted:

WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING WHY WOULD YOU TRADE WITH BILLY BEANE

I'm so loving pissed that I can't even put the words into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Rand alPaul posted:

If the A's trade Russell for Samardizjiaj then Billy Beane is getting fleeced big time.

Rumor is now it's a 3 team deal and Russell wouldn't be headed to the Cubs but they may be shipping out Arismendy Alcantara in addition to Samardzija and Hammels.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

JUST TRADE FOR DYLAN BUNDY, YOU loving MORON JED HOYER

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Rumor is now it's a 3 team deal and Russell wouldn't be headed to the Cubs but they may be shipping out Arismendy Alcantara in addition to Samardzija and Hammels.

I wonder who the third team is.

I thought if the A's dealt for a pitcher they'd just pick up McCarthy for nothing.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

will_colorado posted:

The Rockies got CarGo in a deal for Holliday, it's not THAT bad, unless your GM is retarded.

Holliday for Brett Wallace

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance
and done deal

Little Kenny posted:

DEAL IS DONE: #Cubs send Samardzija and Hammel to #Athletics for Addison Russell, per sources. May be other players and team(s) involved.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Crimson Sox posted:

and done deal

HOLY loving poo poo if this is true

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

I miss you, Jim Hendry.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
gently caress the A's

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

I don't get it, this has to be premature and there's a lot more coming right?

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I don't get it, this has to be premature and there's a lot more coming right?

Probably. Maybe? Does this help?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

goodbye jeff samardzija, I never liked your stupid face anyway, go be an A.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
I hope their now former teammates send them off to Oakland with waders...

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance
Keith Law has the full deal

Keith Law posted:

Cubs/A's deal official. Samardzija and Hammel for Russell, McKinney, Straily, PTBNL. Analysis to follow on ESPN Insider

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Theo can't be stupid, can he? Can he? I mean, if it's just the one prospect of note coming back then that's dumber than even Hendry.

There's got to be more to this. Maybe. I hope.

edit: Keith Law is reporting Shark and Hammel for Russell, McKinney, Straily, PTBNL, so take that for what its worth.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Law is saying Samardzija and Hammel for Russell, McKinney, Strailey, PTBNL

I don't know who prospects are so whatever I guess bye Jeff

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

#2 Starter Edwin Jackson

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
That does not strike me as terrible for either side

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I know nothing of the A's farm system. What's the word on the haul we're getting back?

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Retail Slave posted:

I know nothing of the A's farm system. What's the word on the haul we're getting back?

Russell is the #3 prospect in baseball according to Keith Law. He's a SS that can hit and field.

McKinney the A's #2 prospect. Also Straily is AAAA type strikeout pitcher.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Holy gently caress. I mean, Russell looks awesome and McKinney is super cool but whoa what this is cool

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Retail Slave posted:

McKinney was their 1st rounder in 2013, looks decent but it's still so early.

Russell is the big piece...he's a good bat who can play short/3rd. He's been hurt this year and only recently returned.

Straily is a young starter who won 10 games last year. His walk rate is not great.

All of these guys are young and can possibly contribute to the Cubs in a couple of years. Straily can pitch now in the bigs.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Rand alPaul posted:

Russell is the #3 prospect in baseball according to Keith Law. He's a SS that can hit and field.

How far are Russell and McKinney away from the majors?

And that would have to mean a move to 2B has to be in Castro's future pretty soon.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Russell has been on the fast track...he's in AA at just barely 20. McKinney is going to take longer, probably.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Retail Slave posted:

How far are Russell and McKinney away from the majors?

And that would have to mean a move to 2B has to be in Castro's future pretty soon.

McKinney is 19, so far. Russell probably would be in Oakland right now if he didn't get hurt.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
It doesn't seem like a bad deal to me, but it also seems like it's a farm deal for 2-3-4 years from now.

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

What else do I have to do to impress you people?

Rand alPaul posted:

To be fair, Law likes Russell better than pretty much everybody.

I don't love this deal for the A's though. I didn't think the A's would need to pay a premium to get mid-rotation/back-end guys. I guess I don't really buy Samardijza as a #1-2 type.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Retail Slave posted:

His ideal position is DH (please trade him to an American League team)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Pumpkin McPastry posted:

I don't love this deal for the A's though. I didn't think the A's would need to pay a premium to get mid-rotation/back-end guys. I guess I don't really buy Samardijza as a #1-2 type.
Yeah I think that's a lot for Samardzija. Clearly the A's are trying to win now, because that's their top 2 prospects gone, and their #1 pick from last year's draft. But coughing up Russell, who is a quality prospect, for a likely Samardzija rental seems like a bad idea.

Meanwhile the Cubs are collecting ALL of the infield prospects (Baez, Russell, Alcantara)

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

R.D. Mangles posted:

His ideal position is DH (please trade him to an American League team)

If you were going to trade for a DH, wouldn't you go for someone with a OPS+ over 100?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Where does Baez move to?

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pumpkin McPastry posted:

Yeah Russell is still like top 15-20. This smells like the Matt Holliday trade, also ugh I wish Detroit got something like this in return for Doug Fister :negative:

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

What else do I have to do to impress you people?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah I think that's a lot for Samardzija. Clearly the A's are trying to win now, because that's their top 2 prospects gone, and their #1 pick from last year's draft. But coughing up Russell, who is a quality prospect, for a likely Samardzija rental seems like a bad idea.

Meanwhile the Cubs are collecting ALL of the infield prospects (Baez, Russell, Alcantara)

Cubs must be banking on signing Lester + Scherzer or something because they're just ignoring pitching otherwise.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

FlamingLiberal posted:

Jim Hendry would have a raging boner right now. Dude loved him some middle infielders.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Pumpkin McPastry posted:

Cubs must be banking on signing Lester + Scherzer or something because they're just ignoring pitching otherwise.

Edwin Jackson is signed for like four more years, man.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Pumpkin McPastry posted:

Or they could flip a few of those prospects for pitching, established or prospects.

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance

Niwrad posted:

Where does Baez move to?

they'll always need somebody to play SS in Iowa

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Crimson Sox posted:

they'll always need somebody to play SS in Iowa
No that's Alcantara.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

No that's Alcantara.

He's headed for CF in Chicago before long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

It's so weird to see Beane trading prospects for rentals.

• Locked thread