Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

GoatSeeGuy posted:

He's headed for CF in Chicago before long.

I'm pretty sure that's Future Superstar Brett Jackson's job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Eltoasto posted:

It's so weird to see Beane trading prospects for rentals.

Ya, I am seriously sitting here wondering what he is seeing that I am not. I am very surprised.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'm pretty sure that's Future Superstar Brett Jackson's job.

But what of Josh Vitters??

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance
Baez makes most sense at 3B/LF, depending on where Bryant ends up.
Also, A's have 1 more year of control on Samardzjia

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It's going to be pretty funny in five years when literally every single one of these guys busts.

Dookberg
Oct 14, 2003

alpha_destroy posted:

Ya, I am seriously sitting here wondering what he is seeing that I am not. I am very surprised.

I think Billy sees Sonny, Kazmir, or Chavez breaking down before October.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Samardzija isn't a rental.

I have no idea what to make of the Cubs prospect situation at this point.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

ChampRamp posted:

Having a bunch of studs is never a bad thing. We have enough pieces to acquire the pitching that we need by trade.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

Retail Slave posted:

Having a bunch of studs is never a bad thing. We have enough pieces to acquire the pitching that we need by trade.

Could've acquired that pitching by trading Samardzija/Hammel

I really think Samardzija alone nets Bundy from the O's

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

ChampRamp posted:

If you have ALL prospects, you can't possibly go wrong, right? :shepicide:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

ChampRamp posted:

Could've acquired that pitching by trading Samardzija/Hammel

We could have, but if this is the best haul Theo and Hoyer could get, are you going to fault them? Would you have rather we traded for a bunch of pitching prospects who have lower ceilings?

If nothing else this just means we shop a bit of our overstock around and make an extra trade or two.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

ChampRamp posted:

I think this would have been a stunner.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Dookberg posted:

I think Billy sees Sonny, Kazmir, or Chavez breaking down before October.

Holy poo poo, Jesse Chavez is still in baseball!?!

Now you know how little I pay attention to teams not named the Royals.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

theacox posted:

I think this would have been a stunner.

The Astros trade leaks that came out just reinforce my belief the the O's are willing to trade Bundy (but not Gausman~!). I'm super high on Bundy, even after the injury, so maybe it's just me.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

LordPants posted:

v: Why do you do that thing where you hit the ball and win games only to then go and lose a bunch of games in a row?

It's called being the Giants.

e: Thought you said "what" not "why."

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

ChampRamp posted:

The Astros trade leaks that came out just reinforce my belief the the O's are willing to trade Bundy (but not Gausman~!). I'm super high on Bundy, even after the injury, so maybe it's just me.

I can see Bundy being worth less than Gausman after the injury.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Billy traded Jemile Weeks for the rights to pay 1/8 of the A's payroll to Jim Johnson, so he's not infallible.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Remember when the Royals picked Colon and everybody was like "there's the final piece..."

There were plenty of rumors that teams weren't willing to give up premium pieces for a year and a half of Samardzija plus a comp pick. Maybe Beane just saw his window and thought it was worth 1 good prospect and some other guys. Straily is 25, McKinney is a long way a way so it's not like exactly an "all in" move but it does look like a "we don't want to take any chances" move.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 5, 2014

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

tadashi posted:

Remember when the Royals picked Colon and everybody was like "there's the final piece..."

ewwww....

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

tadashi posted:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pumpkin McPastry posted:

I guess I don't really buy Samardijza as a #1-2 type.

I've been banging this drum for a while now so I'm glad at least one other person agrees with me. On first glance it seems like an awful lot to give up for him but I know almost nothing about the prospects going back aside from I don't buy Straily as anything higher than a #4 (best case) on a good team.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
So I leave baseball for a month and return to find the Giants have decided to lose almost every game - is this all because of Pagan or something else :psyduck: ?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I've been banging this drum for a while now so I'm glad at least one other person agrees with me. On first glance it seems like an awful lot to give up for him but I know almost nothing about the prospects going back aside from I don't buy Straily as anything higher than a #4 (best case) on a good team.

Samardzija should be really good in the AL West considering the stadiums he'll pitch in on a regular basis but he's definitely not a TOR guy. On the flip side, NL Central parks aren't going to help Straily turn things around.

E: Law makes a good point that Samardzija has significantly less wear on his arm than most pitchers like him at this age (not that that seems to make a difference these days, but it's still good to remember).

tadashi fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 5, 2014

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If I'm an As fan I would be pretty livid. I feel like it's a bad trade. I never really liked guy whose name is hard to spell and has a z in it. Did the As really need a back end starter? Shark isn't a top end guy.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Schweinhund posted:

Billy traded Jemile Weeks for the rights to pay 1/8 of the A's payroll to Jim Johnson, so he's not infallible.

The more high profile the move is the less I trust Billy Beane. That's basically entirely due to the Holliday deal which is like the only high-profile move the A's have ever made but still.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dude at least has a very Cubs name. Is there anyone floating around in the minors named Waveland, Sheffield, or Old Style?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

R.D. Mangles posted:

Dude at least has a very Cubs name. Is there anyone floating around in the minors named Waveland, Sheffield, or Old Style?

Maybe we could hire Gary to be a coach somewhere in the organization.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Not one but TWO midseason Cubs pitchers. It can't possibly go wrong. :unsmith:

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Addison Russell is a super good haul and Baez has never been a major league shortstop

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
I feel like we should look back on this trade in a year.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

My hot take is that the Cubs will never win a world series, so the Cubs should just trade for fat guys.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
The Hammel signing was goddamn genius in retrospect, seeing as he was one of those "hope he's good for half a season then trade him" type of signings.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Cubs are going to be fun to watch for the rest of the season as they will expect to be carried by their bats.

Wait, I just realized that Carlos Villanueva may be going back in the rotation, trade was worth it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Furious Lobster posted:

So I leave baseball for a month and return to find the Giants have decided to lose almost every game - is this all because of Pagan or something else :psyduck: ?

Regression was due regardless, but yeah, the smoking craters are due to blown saves and injuries. Which happen to most every team. There's not enough financial flexibility to do anything about it, so just wait and see to the ASB.

R.D. Mangles posted:

My hot take is that the Cubs will never win a world series, so the Cubs should just trade for fat guys.
"Cubs win World Series, it was worth the weight."

Strange to see Beane trade prospects for a few years of a proven thing, but I guess now is the time, and with TJS stacking up league wide, it's good insurance.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 5, 2014

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Bartolo Colon is available?

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

Yeah

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
N: I just got back from the Rochester Redwings game where I got to see 3-time MLB all star Grady Sizemore lead off for the Iron Pigs.

V: He was OK. The people in front of me drove up from PA and had cool Iron Pig bacon logo hats. They were not available in the gift shop.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
MLB fact: every team that has celebrated a ballpark centennial finished in last place in their division before winning the World Series in the following season.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
News: Mike Trout is good. Clayton Kershaw is good.

Views: Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Cubs are going to be fun to watch for the rest of the season as they will expect to be carried by their bats.

Wait, I just realized that Carlos Villanueva may be going back in the rotation, trade was worth it.

The rotation the rest of the way is Arrieta, Wood, Jackson, Straily, Wada/Villanueva/Hendricks/Beeler assuming they can't move Jackson and don't move Arrieta. Oh, my.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 5, 2014

• Locked thread