Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Two puzzles in particular that I remember stumping me as a kid:

Alundra had a series of 'ice pillar' rooms, where you had to slide the pillars around to place them on a switch to open up the next room. It starts you off with some basic ones, but the later ones are just ridiculous and convoluted, which was surprising because I remember it being one of the earlier dungeons in the game. I never got to beat that game because I couldn't solve that puzzle. I remember revisiting the game in my older years and being able to solve it after much trial and error, but back then, jeez.

Lufia 2 had a series of colored block puzzles: if you put a yellow block between two red blocks, the blocks in-between would change to red, and vice-versa. The last puzzle always stumped me, as I felt like I had the solution, but wasn't able to do it because I couldn't place the block in the final position as it was impossible to position the hero correctly without walking. Turns out that I did have the right idea, but I didn't realize that I could turn the character in place by holding the shoulder button and then pressing a direction. Without knowing this, the puzzle was impossible as the final move required turning in place (and this technique was never used before or after this puzzle).

It gives me some pleasure that doing a simple google search for "alundra ice pillar puzzle" and "lufia 2 color block puzzle" brings up results like "one of the hardest puzzles in existence" and "puzzles from hell".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread