Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

The village of Greenhill is the birthplace of the paladin Gedrick Averness. Averness gained fame fighting the Lich King’s forces when the undead first made strikes against the empire in this age. He held off a legion of zombies with his mace Purifier. Gedrick Averness fell just before the Emperor’s army arrived to finish off the undead horde and save the town Gedrick had given his life protecting. Gedrick was returned to the village of his birth, where he was placed in a family tomb, and Purifier was displayed in a glass case in the village church.

Of late, the graves in the Greenhill graveyard have begun to be mysteriously emptied. The first sign of this is a grave taking on a sunken appearance. Upon unearthing, the grave is found empty. Recently, and even more disturbing, villagers have disappeared without a trace.

You each have your own reasons for heading to Greenhill, and have each joined a caravan that has been making its way across the countryside on its journey to a number of villages, including Greenhill. You each join the caravan as it stops at one village or another, perhaps some of you have known each other before, or perhaps you are all strangers. All the same you have been traveling together for a few weeks and have gotten the chance to try and know each other.

You have the chance to reminisce about your journey and what you have learned about each other as the caravan slowly enters the outskirts of Greenhill, soon the caravan will be coming to a stop.

Okay usual PbP posting conventions will be in effect. I want you to either link to your sheet or post it in your first post, feel free to give impressions of each other and what of yourself you have let be known to the others, as well as going over what you have been doing on the journey. In future posts I want you to link to your sheet, either to your first post in this thread if you paste it in here, or to your sheet in the recruit if you don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Vessel

The forgeborn that calls itself Vessel has stayed mostly quiet during the journey. Picked up from the side of an old dirt road, the creature offered to pay for its passage with labor and defense, and has done both without a word of complaint. All in all, it has behaved more or less like a typical forgeborn, if a tad more intelligent, but the aura of power that surrounds the construct is undeniable. Most of the caravan staff have kept their distance, allowing it to work alone. Anyone that has approached it has been ignored; attempts at conversation have all been deflected. It has clearly been making an active effort not to reveal anything about itself. Whatever secret lurks within that iron frame must be dramatic indeed.

Now, with the caravan nearing the end of its journey, Vessel seems oddly impatient. Hopefully it won't start demolishing the town.

Lash: I have heard humans call necromancy a perverse form of magic. I do not understand this, nor why they would allow a practitioner to walk free. But as long as she leaves me in peace I do not object.

Brynjolf: Such fury in this one, barely contained. We have much in common.

Adrian: If he knew what I contained, he would surely seek to destroy me.

Emilia: An agent sent to investigate black magic? I must be cautious.

Quinn: His arm suggests a similarity to me, and not just a physical one. Perhaps he would sympathize with my story.

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 3, 2014

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Lash and Gilliam

While Gilliam keeps an eye out on the road for ambushes, Lash leans on her cane a bit and surveys the rest of the group.

Vessel: I don't buy that whole automaton act. You don't be around magic enough to look like that without gaining a bit of sentience. It reminds me a bit of Gilliam, really, although more focused. But that power is unmistakable. So if it wants its privacy, I certainly won't pry.

Brynjolf: He has the stink of a child of the night on him, but it's weirdly inconclusive. I've seen a lot of people turned to werewolves, but this one is different somehow.

Adrian: Adrian seems to be your everyday Knight to me. You've seen one, you've seen them all.

Emilia: On the one hand, another smart person to converse with. On the other hand, wizards don't take kindly to necromancy. Hopefully my permit from the Emperor will solve any issues with that.

Quinn: That's one hell of arm! I'm curious about it, but just asking would be rude.
pre:
Lash
Human Necromancer 2

STR 08 (-1)		HP:    20/20
DEX 10 (+0)             Recov: 8/8
CON 08 (-1)		Dice:  2d6+0
INT 18 (+4) (+2 Race)	AC:    12
WIS 14 (+2)		PD:    11
CHA 18 (+4+ (+2 Class)	MD:    17
			Init:  +2
                        Wpn:   2d4-1

Backgrounds
True Necromancer +5
World Traveler +3

Icons
Negative 2: The Lich King
Positive 1: The Emperor

Class Features
Wasting Away
Ritual Magic
Death's Master
Arcane Implements

Racial Power
Quick to Fight

Class Talents
Skeletal Minion
Redeemer
Death Priest

Powers
Channel Life
Death's Gauntlet
Summon Undead
Chant of Endings
Unholy Blast
Command Undead

Feats
Wasting Away (A)
Skeletal Minion: E.Die (A)
Channel Life (A)
pre:
Summons and Friends

Gilliam
Level 2 Skeletal Minion
Attack +7 vs. AC
Damage d8
AC 18
PD 16
MD 12
HP 18

Crumbling Skeleton 
1st level mook [UNDEAD] 
Initiative: +6 
Vulnerability: holy
Sword +6 vs. AC—3 damage
Resist weapons 16+: When a weapon attack targets this creature, the attacker 
must roll a natural 16+ on the attack roll or it only deals half damage.
AC 16 
PD 14 HP 6 (mook) 
MD 10 
Mook: Kill one crumbling skeleton mook for every 6 damage you deal to the mob.

djw175 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 3, 2014

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Adrian

Adrian walked silently next to his mount, stifling his excitement at arriving to his destination at last. The journey had been as pleasant as could be expected, but the tedium had begun to wear on him. The company had been somewhat lacking, as well. Glancing about, he took stock of them.

There was the thing, Vessel. He'd never encountered a Forgeborn before, let alone one that appeared to have a will of its own. His attempts at courtesy had been steadfastly ignored, but not actively rebuffed. It simply seemed to not acknowledge or concern itself with his presence.

Brynjolf was about as approachable. The way he looked at people, it seemed he'd be happy enough to strangle you just for something to do.

Alder, on the other hand, was a pleasant enough sort. He seemed a natural leader - had a way about him that made you pay attention. Adrian was always happy to share a meal with the man when he was in the mood for company.

The ladies Emilia and Lash...he was respectful and distant. Their clothing and the familiars that followed them suggested they were will workers of some stripe. He had little knowledge of the arcane, and he had no wish to rouse their ire through his own ignorance. Best to simply leave them be and mind his manners when they wished to speak.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Quinn Alders

Quinn tried (and failed) to keep to himself while travelling into town; after a few near-misses from "old friends" trying to shut him up, he's learned to try to lay low.

Which isn't that easy. Quinn's naturally a people person, so he still struck up conversations with anyone who'd listen. He likes learning about people, what they're about, what their goals are. He's a leader after all, even if it's just in a military sense, and it always pays to get the goodwill of the populace. Or of any of the more attractive folks he runs into...after all, connections are important.

Then there's the arm. Quinn always keeps it exposed because he has feeling in it, and the feeling of clothing or armor against his "marble" skin is disconcerting at best. Not that he's worried about it getting damaged; in fights he's gotten into the habit of using it as a shield. And again, it's a great conversation starter to impress the barmaids or fresh soldiers.

Quinn's especially interested in Brynjolf. "Hey, uh, I've been meaning to ask. Did you fight in the arenas in Axis? You look really familiar and I think I saw you fight once."

Lash (and Gilliam)
She seems kind of...off. Very quiet. And what's with the guy in armor following her? Bodyguard? Is she someone important? Still, she seems really interested in my arm, might need to watch that in case she tries to figure out how it works by disenchanting it or something.

Vessel
Having spent a few years in a dwarven settlement, Quinn's seen golems and forgeborn before. They tend to be calmer, though. Vessel seems kinda twitchy for some reason.

Brynjolf
Quinn actually saw Brynjolf fight once in Axis. He's pretty impressive in several senses of the word; with the right leader he could do some serious damage. Maybe I can hire him as a bodyguard in case of of my old "friends" comes looking for me.

Adrian
Hmm, looks like he's an actual knight. Maybe I can send a message through him to Axis about what's been going on in Handclasp. Hopefully he's not on the take, too.

Emilia
She seems pretty "proper" for someone out this far from the major cities. Wonder what her story is, but given that she's got a pet dragon she's probably a mage or something. Cute, though. And why is that little dragon giving me the stink-eye?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Brynjolf

Brynjolf spent his time during the long ride to Greenhil like he spent most of his time between fights; drinking. The man had somehow secured a keg for the trip, and it was a minor miracle he wasn't roaring drunk halfway through. It was a major miracle he hadn't died of liver failure some years ago.

Lucky for the Brute, few if any of the traveling company seemed interested in either his ale or approaching him in order to get at his ale. This suited Brynjolf just fine.

When the old guardsman struck up a conversation, he eyed Quinn over the rim of his mug before answering. "Yeah, I been to Axis. Two-Ton Tommy, Butterbean, Jake the Fist. Decent enough drinks, decent enough fights. Caught some prick tryin' to stiff me on my cut. Like I can't fukkin' count. Last I heard, he still can't take solid food." This elicited a somewhat malicious laugh from the pit-fighter.

Vessel
Something about this metal man stinks. He was acting weirder than was typical for his kind, not to mention the glowy bits. Pretty sure that ain't natural, relatively speaking.

Emilia
Wizards. Ugh. Brynjolf's never been a fan of wizards. Can't hold their drink, can't throw a punch, and definitely can't take one. Though really, that last bit is one of the few good things about them.

Lash
If there's one thing worse than wizards, it's creepy child wizards.

Adrian
An idealist in shining armor. Less insufferable, but every bit as deluded.

Quinn
Poor fucker couldn't have picked a less-friendly lot of traveling companions to get chummy with if he tried. Them's the breaks.

pre:
Brynjolf
Human Monk 2

STR 18 (+4) (+2 Class)	HP:    40/40
DEX 18 (+4) (+2 Class)  Recov: 8/8
CON 16 (+3) (+2 Race)	Dice:  2d8+3
INT 08 (-1)		AC:    16
WIS 10 (+0)     	PD:    17
CHA 08 (-1)     	MD:    12
			Init:  +6
                        FIST:  2d8+4
                        Ki:    3/3

Backgrounds
Pit Fighter +4
Survivalist +4

Icons:
High Druid: Positive 1
The Emperor: Complicated 1
The Archmage: Negative 1

Class Features
Forms
JAB, PUNCH, KICK
Ki
Two-Weapon Fighting

Racial Power
Quick to Fight

Class Talents
Greeting Fist
Diamond Focus
Leaf on Wind

Forms
Dance of the Mantis
Claws of the Panther

Feats
Greeting Fist
Diamond Focus
Dance of the Mantis

Equipment
Traveling Gear
   Flint and Tinder
   Money Pouch
   Pack
   Rain Cloak
   Rations (5 Days)
   Sleeping Roll
   Waterskin
Good Clothing
Knife x3
16 gold

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Emilia Plafox

Emilia made a face as she overheard the brute and Quinn talking. Axis? Ugh! And there's Brynjolf, talking about some sort of...unsavory mess he got himself in. Cursing, too. How unseemly. Quinn, stop! He's not worth you! Meanwhile, Coca gorged itself on a melon she bought in the last village. The melon was supposed to be for both of them. What a rotten day.

Giving Coca a quick glare (which causes the dragonling to look bashful, though it certainly doesn't stop it from continuing to eat), the recent graduate young witch hand picked agent of the Archmage Himself and scion of College Duratrez, thank you, turns her attention to the equally young if not younger necromancer.

"So! Lash. I'm sure your illllllustrious? Yes, illustrious magic will come in very handy if indeed highly illegal and in now way related to you necromancy is being used in Greenhill. Uhm. Let me start this over. Hi Lash! Where'd you learn your magic?"

~*~

Lash: A necromancer! Very illegal magic! Very illegal! Well, she has papers from the Emperor saying it's ok. I've still got my eye on you though. Her pet is creepy and scary and not cute at all. I like Coca better. Coca doesn't like her pet either. Buuuuut...it's nice having someone I can talk shop with, and she's the only other girl, AND she's also the only one who isn't like 40, other then Quinn, but he's a boy and doesn't count. Maybe I can convince her to lay off the black a bit? It's ok, I went through that phase once too.

Brynjolf: He glares at me a lot. I don't think he likes me very much. Beyond that, he's just unpleasant in general. Curses a lot. Smells a bit, too. "Meathead" is what Professor Navida used in Adventuring 101 to describe his type. Coca refuses to even go near him. My pet has good taste.

Adrian: Adrian seems pleasant enough. He certainly has that whole classical look, so that's nice. Coca gets really nervous around him; maybe it's a dragon vs knights thing? Weird that he keeps avoiding me. I don't bite! Coca might bite a little, but it won't hurt that much. Maybe he's just really impressed and intimidated by how great and wizardly I am? Ah, how cool...

Vessel: Treaty prevents the Archmage and all Archmage build schools from messing with Forgeborn, so I don't know how it works. I know it isn't just some regular golem, though he tries to act like one. Coca thinks it stinks. What are you hiding?

Quinn: Mmm. He's cute, a little at least, and easy to get along with. Wish we had guards like him back at the academy. I haven't really talked to him though. Am I shy? Well, I'm a wizard, not a bard. I'm a master at the arcane arts, not at...ballroom dancing, what a dumb elective that was. Does he like ballroom dancing? I guess I'm actually not THAT bad, you know. Anyways, the arm is kinda weird. I haven't overheard him say where it's from. A tragic and mysterious past, maybe, hinting at some inner torment? Ah, how cool...

pre:
Emilia Plafox
Human Wizard 2
One Unique Thing: Bonded to Cocavesque, a small aspect of the Green. 

STR 08 (-1)		HP:    36/36
DEX 14 (+2)		Recov: 8/8
CON 16* (+3)		Dice:  2d6+3
INT 18* (+4)		AC:    14
WIS 10 (+0)		PD:    14
CHA 12 (+1)		MD:    15
			Init:  +4

Backgrounds
House Duratres' Best Student 5
LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT DRAGONS 5

Icons
Archmage: 2 Positive
The Three: 1 Conflicted

Class Talents
Cantrip Mastery (adv feat)
High Arcana
Wizard's Familiar, Cocavesque (Flight, Scout)

Spells
Utility x2
Acid Arrow x2
Color Spray
Ray of Frost
Shocking Grasp
Counter-Magic

Feats
Cantrip Mastery
Increased Backgrounds
Utility Spell

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 22, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Caravan Coming to a Stop

Passing the outskirts of Greenhill the carts sway to and fro and slow their already slow pace down to something approaching glacial. The occasional villager passes in front of the caravan, seemingly without worry due to the slow pace, and on more than one occasion the caravan stopped entirely to wait for a passing horse. But eventually the caravan comes to a more final stop toward the center of the village. The caravan master gives you all a nod, and takes the second half of any payment you may have agreed to, before setting his people to unloading the carts. Villagers pass, and occasionally glance at you, well more than occasionally with some of you. They haven't exactly seen all that many Forgeborn, or people with marble arms, or little dragon familiars for that matter. A few even point toward Brynjolf and whisper excitedly, before leaving shyly.

The caravan master, and his people, are busy unloading the carts, as well as loading the now empty carts. The fat inkeeper is talking with the Caravan Master as things are unloaded and brought to his inn. A few old men sit outside the inn, drinking, and watching the unloading of the caravan. And various people pass by on their way to somewhere else, often stopping to glance at the caravan, or the strange travelers.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Adrian

Adrian stretched, savoring the feel of his bones popping. Hopefully the inn wouldn't be full up. A night on a proper bed would suit him just fine. Patting his mount's neck, he settled the horse down among the scuffle of loading and unloading. "Relax, old friend. Now is not the time to be feisty."

A quick glance over his gear to ensure it was accounted for, he walked off to find Quinn. He gave Emilia and Lash a polite nod as he passed.

"If either of you are thirsty, the first round at the tavern is on me."

Catching up with his target, Adrian crossed his arms and watched the passerby as their eyes lingered on the strange visitors. He noted with some amusement that he warranted the least attention of all. Not terribly surprising. Outside his armor, there was nothing remarkable about him beyond the veil he wore.

"Strangely pleasant mood given the rumors I've heard, Quinn. What do you think?"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Quinn

Quinn shrugged, "You heard the thing about the disappearances too, huh? Well, you have to remember that people tend to...well, not block out or ignore bad stuff happening around them. It's more a case of trying to get by despite it. When you get right down to it, people just want to live their lives without worrying all the time if something bad's going to happen, you know? Trust me, I saw this all the time when I was in the guard back in Handclasp."

Quinn said all that jovially, but despite his tone his eyes move around, taking in everything, looking at the people in the crowd, the guards, looking at all the angles.

"Besides, even when things are bad, there's always somethin' good happening too." Quinn grins widely and slaps Adrian on the shoulder with a wink. "For instance: you're buying the first round!"

Now that you're close, you can see the where some sergeant's bars have been removed from the shoulder of Quinn's armor, the metal cleaner than the rest of it.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 4, 2014

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Brynjolf

Brynjolf carries only his backpack with him, simply dressed and, for the moment, shirtless. The empty keg abandoned to the caravan, it ran dry long before he reached town. The pit-fighter winks at his whispering admirers and grins, flexing his free arm. Never hurts to play to the crowd.

Of course, the promise of a free drink quickly has Brynjolf's attention, and soon he's caught up to the armored pair, arms around their shoulders in a grip like a friendly bear. "Did I hear someone say drinks were on them? Well, far be it from me to refuse yer hospitality, Hospitaler. We'll drink to this backwater town and it's many problems," he says, herding the pair of them inside.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Vessel

Vessel exits the caravan, walks forward a few steps, and comes to a complete stop. The forgeborn stands stock-still save for its head, which slowly turns to survey the town. It came to Greenhill on what could generously be called instinct, but now that it is, here, it has no real idea where to go. After giving its situation some thought, it turns and approaches the gathered warriors. "I will accompany you," it intones flatly, couching the statement in a matter-of-fact way that suggests it doesn't expect objection. After a moment, it adds, "I do not require drinks."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Emilia Plafox

"I will take you on your offer, sir knight, and with my thanks."

Emilia tries to put on what she understands to be the airs of a highly sophisticated and well regarded archmagus agent.

"...Just...water, for me. Juice? Do you have juice?"

Welp, there goes that.

"I am also here regarding the disappearance. As an official agent. Of the Archmage."

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Lash

Lash shakes her head at the knight's offer. "Thank you for the offer, but with my small size, the alcohol hits me harder. And I'll pass on whatever they call water. I have seen some of the outcomes of that. But if someone knows about the disappearances, they are likely to be in the bar, so I may as well head there as well."

Lash sits near Emilia, not being close enough to be seen in the same group. People tend to shut up around necromancers, especially when disappearances are involved.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Adrian

Adrian politely disengaged Brynjolf's arm from his shoulder. "I said the first round was on me. Don't push your luck." He kept his tone firm but pleasant. Glancing back to Emilia, he waved off the honorifics. "Nobody needs to 'Sir' me. Leastwise, not until they feel I deserve it. Too many men let a simple title go to their heads."

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Brynjolf

Brynjolf just smirks and all but corrals the pair of them through the door, though once they're inside Adrian is free to finally and fully disengage from the pitfighter. "Barkeep! We're gonna need some mugs..."

I think it's safe to progress the scene. Not much we can do until it then.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Forced Cheer Inn, no that isn't the Inn's name

You pass a few villagers as you head to the inn, they still seem to be smiling and interested in the newcomers, but upon closer inspection you begin to notice lines of worry, and signs that they may be trying to force cheer, to try and ignore all that troubles them. It is not long before you enter the inn, since the caravan had stopped near it after all. Inside you see a few groups of drinkers. Some sit staring at their drink, seeming to sip every so often or not at all. Some stare at the wall. Others simply drink and drink. Even here there are those who look as if they are trying to enjoy the day, or forget their worries.

Also ProfessorCirno who were you directing your questions to?

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 6, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Emilia Plafox

I thought we were already in the inn! They were directed at the bartender :B

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Quinn

Quinn looks around the bar calmly, taking in the mood of the room. It's not hard to see that everyone's scared, and loud boisterous strangers probably aren't going to help with that. So, not a time to be loud and outgoing. Or loud, anyway.

"Someone grab a table, I'll order the drinks." He walks to the bartender, and smiles. "Mornin'. Can we get a round of drinks for me and my friends? Three beers, and, uh..." He glances at Emilia, "a juice?" Quinn then jerks his thumb over his shoulder at Adrian and adds, "he's paying for the first round."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Adrian

Nodding, Adrian made his way to a table, waiting for everyone to take a seat before doing likewise.

"If you'll pardon the presumption, I'd wager we're all here for the same reasons, yes? None of you look like the sort who'd come here just to take in the sights." He made a point not to stare at Vessel while he said that.

"If I'm wrong I apologize. But if you are here about the rumors, then I am at your service." Glancing around at the the townsfolk for a moment, he continued. "It seems like whatever is going on has not gotten out of hand yet, at least. These people are simply worried, not panicking."

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Brynjolf

Brynjolf snatches up his beer once the innkeeper finishes pouring them, and nearly downs his entirely in one go. The incredibly couth pitfighter then promptly belches loudly, and slaps some poor fellow on the shoulder in such a way that his drink just ends up going everywhere, making a ridiculous mess. A one or two of the people splashed look like they're about to start a fight but think better of it when they catch sight of the grinning Brynjolf, whose grins never seem to lose their hint of maliciousness.

"Oh, pardon me, friend! Sometimes I forget my own strength. Barkeep! Another round for me and this... fine gentlemen here. Here, you should join us at our table! Won't do to drink alone," he says, finishing his own drink before taking his next and handing the man his new one. Before the local can consider going back to his own business, Brynjolf, in typical fashion, wraps his arm around the man's shoulders and half-guides and half-strongarms the poor sod over to the table where Adrian and Quinn and probably the rest of the lot now sit.

"There we are, much better. I believe Adrian here was just talking about how we're here to find out what's causing your strange disappearances. Say, why don't you tell us about that..."

There's an edge to his voice that gives the impression the man might not have a choice in the matter!

Fess up, rube.

Edit: Using my Background as a Pitfighter to intimidate or awe this guy into spilling the beans: 1d20+4+4+2 = 22

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 7, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Forced Drinking in an Inn

Brynjolf goes up to a man and manhandles the poor villager over to the group's table, with offers of replacement alcohol of course. The man tries to struggle out of the big arm around his shoulders, and head, and looks a bit panicked. He is having no luck, and is quite intimidated by the oiled muscles, or perhaps that is just sweat, either way they seem to gleam. He looks up to Brynjolf's face, and seems to have a little recognition "uh aren't you..?" He still looks confused and panicky but more or less allows himself to be manhandled over to the group, not that he has much choice.

He looks around worriedly but finally whispers "uh well I have heard some screams coming from the direction of Averness crypt." He looks around again, and lowers his voice even further, "and I am not the only one who has heard the screams. They are real." He shivers, and clams up, but gladly takes the drink when it comes.

Yeah assuming that includes Pitfighter that is more like a 22.

That is one success, even without the +2 from level and +4 from pitfighter.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Quinn

Quinn tries to give Brynjolf a subtle "take it easy" gesture; he knows they won't get much out of the guy if he's terrified.

"Sorry about my friend, here," Quinn tells the man. "He likes to share the wealth when it comes to beer, y'know?" He smiles warmly and goes on. "We really are here to help, though. So what have you been hearing exactly, uh...sorry, I didn't catch your name."

Using Former Guard Sergeant charismatically to gently interrogate the guy: 1d20+5+4+2 24

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Emilia Plafox

Emilia takes out a small notebook and finishes her water!

"We've got our lead! We should check out this Averness Crypt. Come on, we don't want to waste daylight! I mean that literally, we absolutely want to go there while it's still daytime."

She doesn't even wait for the others to respond before hopping onto her feet and setting off!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Quinn

"Hold on Emilia...we don't just want to up and leave without hearing what our friend here has to say."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Forced Drinking in an Inn

Right before you run out the man adds a little more for Quinn, "Hmm now that I think about it I heard that people don't just vanish without a trace. I heard there is always a mound of disturbed earth found near their last occasion. Uh, oh I am Marc..." He pauses as he realizes that he has not only confirmed that people are going missing in the village, and thus that there is something wrong, and that he had just given you his name. He clams up, and looks quite relieved when it seems like you are going to rush out right away.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Brynjolf

Brynjolf just smirks before finishing the last of his second drink and slamming the mug down on the table. "Well, it seems that's that. Don't dally too long. Don't forget the tab, either."

And with that he quickly follows behind Emilia, giving an expectant glance at Quinn, as if asking if he's coming or what?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Quinn

Sighing, Quinn tosses Marc some cash. "Sorry. Next drink's on me. I guess we're going to try and get to the bottom of this. Just...stay safe, okay? You can pay me back when we've dealt with this." He gives Marc a friendly wink, then hurries off after Emilia and Bryn.

Catching up to Emilia, he puts his hand on her shoulder. "Whoa, whoa, slow down. We can't go looking into whatever's going on around here half-cocked."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Adrian

Adrian watched them stand and begin to leave, then looked over to Lash and Vessel. "I guess they do things differently where they're from." Finishing off his drink, he nodded at Marc. "My apologies for their behavior." Setting the mug down he rose and joined the rather boisterous crew.

Whistling for his horse, he grabbed the reigns and walked alongside Emilia.

"I can respect your eagerness to start, but it may be wise to speak to the mayor and inform him why we're here. A bunch of strangers poking around in a crypt during a time when graves are being disturbed is not likely to be looked upon favorably."

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Vessel

Vessel watches the two warriors and the wizardess head out the door, then clanks after them. It isn't sure about the plan to meet with the mayor (say he says no?), but it figures the humans know best how to handle other humans. Besides, the forgeborn still has no inkling of what it's actually looking for. Best to follow their lead and remain as inconspicuous as possible for now.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Lash

Lash stands up and heads off after the rest of the group. "Usually I don't ask for permission for this stuff. People don't tend to like me poking around graves and crypts. 'Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission' and all that. But we can try your way for now."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Emilia Plafox

The (very) young witch turns in a glower, but then notices it's Quinn and immediately brightens up.

"I'm very serious when I say we don't want to investigate this after sundown...but fine. If we MUST talk to the mayor, then let's do that. But fast!"

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Brynjolf

Brynjolf laughs a short, harsh laugh. "Well, to the mayor then, shall we? Perhaps we can even squeeze some gold out of the codger in exchange. Or free drinks for life..."

He rubs his jaw as if seriously contemplating such a possibility.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Quinn

Still holding Emilia's shoulder, Quinn sighs. "Look, I get you want to help these people, and that's great. So do I. But we can't go off half-cocked. We need to check in with the authorities and let them know what we're doing, and we don't want to rush into a dangerous situation."

Quinn lets go and sighs again. "Yeah, it's my...er, our job to protect the people in town. But we have to be careful so people don't get caught in the crossfire, or get ourselves hurt because then we can't do our job. Understand?"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Emilia Plafox

*Harrumph*

"I'm an Official agent of the Archmage you know. Capital O and everything. But alright, alright! Let's go talk to the mayor, or whatever."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Speaking to the Mayor

You rush off to speak to the Mayor, having no idea who is the Mayor or where they are. After a false start you begin to ask some of the locals and eventually find your way to the town hall, and the Mayor. After a few minutes you are shown in and after a few more moments he looks up from some work and says, "yes?"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Quinn

"Hello, Mr. Mayor. We're here to talk to you about helping with the 'situation' that we've heard about in regards to the graveyard."

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Brynjolf

Brynjolf nods, and says matter-of-factly, "We'll be takin' a look around your graveyard and crypt and such. Professional courtesy, and suchlike."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Adrian

Adrian gave a mayor a polite nod as his companions spoke.

"With your permission, of course, sir. I've heard many tales of Sir Averness and his valiant defense of this town. I cannot sit by and let someone make a mockery of that sacrifice."

Using my Background as a Chevalier to smooth things over, in hopes that the mayor does not take offense at anyone's brusque words: 1d20+cha+2+4 = 14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Speaking to the Mayor

The Mayor looks at you all, and his face begins to grow red. "You will just walk into town and look around our graveyard and crypts? Defiling the final resting place of our people? And you just casually mention this like it is simple fact. You don't even ask for permission." He shakes his head. "First that stranger visits Father Harcourt, and now some arrogant young strangers come in and act like they are some big shots who can just trample over our heritage. And what is the Emperor doing? Has he offered any help? No!"

• Locked thread