Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Vessel

"Yes," rumbles Vessel, stalking after Brynjolf and Quinn. The construct still doesn't entirely grasp why necromancy is such a terrible thing, but the undead tried to kill him and his companions. Retribution? Yes, it knows all about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
The Tomb of Averness

The group travels deeper into the tomb, quickly coming to a room filled with undead. Or the dead. Many of the undead looking things are now quite dead but look as if they may have been the abducted villagers. Lash can instantly tell that the villagers were turned undead, and then used as a power source for a ritual.

It soon becomes quite clear what the ritual was about and the paladin's body upon the altar rises, reaches for its weapon, only to find that it is not here. It still lies within the Church, untouchable by the other undead but should the former Paladin reach it his connection to it will overcome the divine protection.

The Paladin turned Death Knight looks upon you and begins to approach. The sight is such a worry that you almost miss the Priest standing over the altar. With the recent ritual completed Lash can sense that this man of the cloth is no such thing, an imposter, and more importantly a powerful undead.

The death knight and fake priest are joined by three of the burrowing undead from before and battle is joined.

They are all Nearby.

Roll Initiative! If you beat 28 you can go.

28 Vardoger
27 Death Knight Averness
21 Brynjolf
18 Burrowing Dead

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Emilia Plafox

Ini HAH HAH HAH NOPE: 1d20+4 10

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Vessel

Initiative: 1d20+1 21

The most useless natural 20.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Lash

Initiative: 2#1d20+2 13 21

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Quinn

"Everyone stay calm! Just don't let them grab you!"

Initiative: 1d20+3 9 1d20+3 22

Also, before initiative is rolled Into the Fray triggers; Bryn, Emilia, and Gilliam get +2 AC until the end of the first round.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
The Tomb of Averness

The Death Knight's eyes smoulder with unnatural energy and it strides forth to deal with the living, it confronts Brynjolf and strikes at him twice, Brynjolf is too nimble for the first strike to connect, barely, but the second lands home quite easily and he can feel some of his life energy draining away. And as the skeletal fist is drawn away he can still feel some of his life energy ebbing away.

The undead priest smirks at Quinn's attempt to rally the others. "You put on a brave face boy, but we all know you don't know what you are doing." The priest does something and all of a sudden Quinn doesn't know what he is doing instead he finds himself striking out at Brynjolf.

Brynjolf is hit for 5 damage, and 4 ongoing negative energy damage. The Vardoger hits Quinn for 15 psychic damage, and Quinn is [Confused] save ends. So make an attack against Brynjolf, then roll to save at the end of your turn.

26 Vardoger
25 Death Knight Averness
22 Quinn :rolldice: [confused]
21 Lash :rolldice:
21 Vessel :rolldice:
21 Brynjolf :rolldice:
18 Burrowing Dead (3) (AC 15 PD 13 MD 9 HP 50)
10 Emilia

code:
   BD1			Gilliam		Lash
   BD2			Quinn		Emilia
Var      DKA		Brnjolf
   BD3				Vessel

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Quinn

Quinn's eyes unfocus, and for a second he's back in Handclasp surrounded by screaming, panicked civilians, trying to protect people...and a marble golem approaches, reaching for his arm.

Quinn yells "Get away from me!" and swings...

Basic melee: 1d20+5 9 so miss and the rest doesn't matter. Saving throw: 1d20 11

...but in his panic swings wide. He blinks, back in the present, and snarls at the priest, "you fucker, stay out of my head!"

HP: 29/44, Command Points: 1

e: sorry, forgot it was save ends

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 3, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
You should still roll a save to see if you are still confused next round.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Lash

"As a member of Imperial law enforcement, I order you to halt your necromantic activities and turn yourself over." After recirving nothing more than a sneer, Lash sighs. "I don't know why they make me do that. It never works. So, you think you're a necromancer, eh? I've got a thing or two to show you." She snaps her fingers and two of the spirits who assisted her fly into the ground and two old skeletons rise from the ground. They try to gang up on the priest.

Meanwhile, the green fire seems to be warping Gilliam's armor. His helmet cracks in horizontally at his mouth, revealing a sharp toothed smile. Lash attempts to give him a command, but he ignores her. A gravelly voice comes from the crack, "Finally! Someone who isn't embarrassing to fight!" he shouts charging the death knight, although he misses in his excitement.

Crumbling Skeleton Amount: 1d3+1 2
Crumbling Skeleton Attack: 2#1d20+6 7 22
3 damage to the priest.
Blazing Gilliam attack: 1d20+7 13 and Nada

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Vessel

With two powerful foes facing the party, Vessel has a clear understanding that it will need to field all that it has for the coming battle. The forgeborn calls on its demonic spirit, readying its energies to give everything it has.

Gathering power.

Gather Power: 1d6 3

2 damage to all nearby staggered enemies, which is presumably none of them.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Brynjolf

Brynjolf rubs the spot where the Death Knight struck him, taking a moment to spit off to the side before popping the undead paladin under the chin with a sudden uppercut.

"That the best you got?"

Starting in Oaken Pole form.

Uppercut Deathknight 1d20+6 25 vs AC (d20=19)

DK Damage: 2d8+4+2 18

Save? 2. Nope.

pre:
HP: 31/40
AC: 18 
PD: 17
MD: 12

Current Form: Oaken Pole
Recoveries: 7/9

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Aug 4, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
The Tomb of Averness

The Burrowing Dead shamble forward, the first two heading for the nearest thing, which happens to be Gilliam. The first fails to connect but the second gets a hold on the burning undead, which may not be to its advantage. The final burrowing dead shambles toward Brynjolf and hits him, though it does not get a hold of him.

Gilliam is hit for 7 damage, and grabbed by the second Burrowing Dead. Not sure undead can make last grasp saves. Brynjolf is hit for 7 damage.

26 Vardoger
25 Death Knight Averness
22 Quinn
21 Lash
21 Vessel
21 Brynjolf
18 Burrowing Dead (3) (AC 15 PD 13 MD 9 HP 50)
10 Emilia :rolldice:

code:
    		BD1			Lash
    		BD2 Gilliam	Quinn		Emilia
Var      		DKA  Brnjolf
   			  BD3	Vessel

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Emilia Plafox

Emilia starts off small with a blast of ice at the burrowing dead!

Ray of Frost vs PD: 1d20+6 14 3d6 12

Gonna let the Escalation Dice go up a bit before unleashing the Big Guns

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
The Tomb of Averness

Ice rimes one of the burrowing dead, crackling as it moves. The undead fake priest smiles at Quinn, and once more enters his mind. The Death Knight growls "nope" before smacking Brynjolf twice in retaliation. Brynjolf is really feeling it now as his life force slips away all the faster.

Burrowing Dead is hit. Vardoger hits Quinn once more, for 15 damage again, so he can attack one of his allies for his turn, then try to make a save against confused again. Brynjolf is hit twice this time, unless his AC is a lot higher than 18. For 5 damage each, so 10 more damage, then two more instances of 4 ongoing negative energy damage. So he will be taking 12 damage a turn until he saves.

You guys might need some healing.

26 Vardoger
25 Death Knight Averness (AC under 25 PD ?? MD ?? HP x-18/x)
22 Quinn :rolldice: [confused]
21 Lash :rolldice:
21 Vessel :rolldice:
21 Brynjolf :rolldice:
18 Burrowing Dead (3) (AC 15 PD 13 MD 9 HP 50) (one at 38/50)
10 Emilia

code:
    		BD1			Lash
    		BD2 Gilliam	Quinn		Emilia
Var      		DKA  Brnjolf
   			  BD3	Vessel

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Emilia Plafox

Counter-magic vs MD: 1d20+7 16

If that hits the priest, I cancel his confusion spell!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Quinn

"Bryn! Stay calm, I'm coming to help! I've seen you take harder hits than that and walk away!"

Rally Now, interrupt on Bryn's turn, he can rally as a free action.

He takes a step, then stumbles as he finds himself back fighting the marble golem while surrounded by dead dwarves and humans in the ruins of Handclasp...and then there's a flash of Emilia's face? and he's back in reality.

"Sonofa...Gillian! We need to punch through these assholes and get the guy in the robe!"

Quick action: Basic Tactical Strike-Gillian can make a basic melee attack.

Quinn then runs over to help Byrn.

basic melee: 1d20+5=22 vs. AC against one of the zombies, 2d6+3=11 damage, 1d4=1 command point.

He quickly looks over his shoulder and grins at Emilia. "Thanks! I owe you one!"

HP: 29/44, Command Points: 1, Crit range: 18+

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 5, 2014

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Vessel

Swirling with power, Vessel strides forward into the fray. Undaunted by the power of the newly-arisen death knight, the construct approaches him. As he gets nearer, the forgeborn breaks into a run, charging his foe while invoking one of his nastier spells. As he enters range, he swings at the knight, his fist crackling with lightning. The death knight is too quick, and the punch misses, but the electical energy still gets close enough to leap into his armor and deliver considerable damage.

"If it is a fight you seek," intones Vessel, its eye-lights blazing, "then you have found one."

Moving to engage Averness, then attacking him with Lightning Fork. (Hits PD 11 [ha!] for 30 lightning damage, or 19 on a miss. The natural attack roll was odd, so that's it.)

Lightning Fork v. Averness: 1d20+6 11 6d6+8 30

pre:
HP: 35/40
Recoveries: 7/8

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
No idea what counterspell is supposed to work on, but the creature is listed as a caster so sure that cancels out the Confusion attack, so Quinn can have his 15 hp back and can redirect his melee attack to some other target.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Went back and edited. I used the same rolls as before if that's okay. Also :siren:Gillian can make a basic melee attack on my turn:siren:.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Counter-Magic
Close-quarters spell
Once per battle
Free action to cast
Trigger: A nearby creature you can see casts a spell
Target: The nearby creature casting a spell
Attack: Intelligence + Level vs MD
Hit: The target's spell is canceled and the caster loses the action they were using for the spell. If the spell had a limited use, that use is expended if your natural attack roll is even.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Lash

Hands try to reach oit from the ground to try to grab the Vardoger, but they can't find a grip.

Meanwhile Gilliam is just hacking at the death knight while the skeletons continue their attack.

Blazing Gilliam attack vs AC: 2#1d20+7+1 25 20 2#1d10 6 10
I know that's only 6 damage because I'm also a cheater.
Death's Gauntlet v. PD: 1d20+2+4+1+1 11
2 miss damage unless the Var thingy has less than 11 PD, which die to my cheaty ways I know it isn't.
Crumbling Skeleton Attack: 2#1d20+6 9 8
Quick action to loving kill myself as a sacrafice to the dice gods.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

And then everything exploded.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Rocks fall, everyone dies. Except us ironically enough.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Was it all a Dream, or a Premonition?

Indeed Lash's necromantic energy clashes with the Vardoger's and the clash between the Death Knight Averness and Brynjolf shakes the very walls of the room and then there is an explosion and the place collapses.

And then you wake up in your beds, sweating, if that is capable for you. Was it all a dream? Did it happen and then you were rescued while comatose? Was it a premonition of things to come? Who knows.

As you are taking stock of yourself, making certain you are all in one piece, you here a knock at the door.

Each of you is visited by a messenger. Sent from one of the Icons with a task for you. Which Icon would send you on a quest to retrieve a crown from the Lich King?

So yeah I need to know which Icon would send you on such a quest, heck even the Lich King could send you on such a quest for his own reason. Also don't forget to roll your Relationship dice.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 6, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Are we assuming we don't know each other since the adventure didn't happen, or are we going to skip that?

Relationship Dice: Relationships (DK, C, E): 3,3,6. I figure the Crusader would be the one to call in a marker, since a few of his agents helped out with a small demonic "issue" back in Handclasp.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Vessel

Vessel returns to consciousness with a start. A vivid dream is new. In fact, dreaming at all is new. The forgeborn takes several moments to take stock of itself, ensuring that it is undamaged and that its surroundings haven't been decimated. The last time it lost control... Were the creature capable, it would shudder.

The messenger provides a distraction, at least. Without bothering to pause and consider who would know how and where to find it, it opens the message, its red-lit eyes scannign the page. "Theft," it intones. "From the king of death. Mmm..."

The Diabolist would probably be the one to contact Vessel. "Hey, get this trinket for me and I might leave you alone for a while!"

Relationships (Di x3/DK): 4#1d6 3 4 4 5

5 on my negative relationship with the Dwarf King. Goodie!

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Definitely the Emperor. That's not even like a choice.
Icons (Lich King Negative 2, Emperor Positive 1): 3#1d6 3 6 1

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

The High Druid, for sure. AND SPEAKING OF:

High Druid (P), The Emperor (C), The Archmage (N): 5 2 2

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Who else but the Archmage!

Archmage+, Archmage+, The Three?: 3#1d6 2 4 6

6 for Conflicted with The Three

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
The meeting

Emilia looks up from her confused sleep as a knock at her door draws her attention. When she checks she finds a robed individual, an alumni from her own school, sent by the Archmage with a mission for her. The robed individual removes her hood once safely in Emilia's room, revealing her multihued shimmering hair.

"Emilia Plafox I have been sent by the Archmage himself to entrust you with a mission of vital importance. The Archmage wishes for you to travel to the City of the Dead, enter the ever shifting maze within and break into the Lich King's vault to retrieve for us the Crown of the lich Baron Voth, one of the Lich King's lieutenants. The Crown is the Baron's phylactery. Baron Voth's forces have been interfering with the wards that protect the Empire, with the Crown in our hands we can negotiate to put a stop to these actions."

She looks Emilia in the eyes, "we know this is a dangerous mission, but we have every faith in your abilities. You would probably be best served looking for Jont Urner, the only known adventurer to know the way into the City of the Dead. Our last known location for him was the village of Roachdale among the Fangs."

----

Brynjolf shakes his head, trying to shake away the images in his mind. Then he hears the flap of wings and a bird's call. He looks up and sees a mighty hunting bird has landed upon his windowsill. Not the kind of bird to usually do such a thing. The bird looks him in the eye, and he hears a woman's voice in his head.

"Your secret binds you to us. Your secret that may be revealed. We have a task for you. Undeath threatens the natural order of things. You are to head to Roachdale, seek the half-orc Jont Urner so that you may enter the City of the Dead and steal the Crown of the lich Voth. Take the crown and throw it into a volcano where it may be destroyed, and the magics animating the abomination shall be shattered. Do this for us. For we command it. And you know why you must."

----

Lash puts a hand to her head to contain the memories that try to stream out, Gilliam stands nearby with a creepy grin on his face, as if he had just had a great fight. But no that isn't possible. His head whips around toward the door, and a moment later a knock can be heard.

When Gilliam opens the door, hey if you have undead servants even if they are kind of creepy killers you may as well use them, a courier from the Emperor enters. Kneeling before Lash he presents his credentials then gives her the message he was entrusted with.

"Lash, your expertise with the undead is needed once more. The Lich King pushes further and further against our forces. He would like nothing better than to conquer us and bring us all into his fold. Baron Voth is a high ranking lieutenant in his undead army. Baron Voth's crown is held within the Lich King's vault in the evershifting labyrinth within the City of the Dead. The crown is the Baron's phylactery and with it in our hands we might have the leverage to avoid total destruction for another year at least. We task you with this most dangerous mission, to retrieve the phylactery. The Archmage has also sent for a powerful mage to help in this retrieval, you are to meet her in Roachdale. Her name is Emilia Plafox."

The courier then gives Lash a description of Emilia, not that Lash needs one as images rise in her mind. The dream? still so fresh stirs. What is this?

----

Vessel still trembles from the dreams it cannot possibly have. Then Vessel looks up and the sky seems to grow red, various points upon its body light up with power and Vessel speaks with Her voice. It hurts to speak Her voice. It hurts to hear Her voice.

"You are to head to Roachdale, seek the half-orc adventurer Jont Urner and find access to the City of the Dead. Seek the crown of the former dwarf Baron Voth. Bring the crown to me. Do not disappoint me."

And as soon as it had started, it is over. Perhaps it was all a dream, but Vessel cannot dream, can it? Then Vessel looks down to where it had placed its arm against the wall to steady itself, and sees the sign of the Diabolist burned into the stone.

----

Quinn finds himself lost in the streets of some city he doesn't remember ever entering, flashes of the strange dream coursing through his mind. He turns a corner and nearly runs into a knight. The serious knight stands there, "Quinn of the marble arm?" He asks, while clearly looking at Quinn's marble arm.

"You owe a favor, and it is time to collect. The one who sent me wants the crown of Baron Voth, lich lieutenant of the Lich King. You are to travel to the City of the Dead and enter the Lich King's vault and retrieve it for my commander. It is not your place, or mine, to know why he wants it, it is only our place to do as he commands."

The knight turns to leave, then stops and over his shoulder says, "I have heard that the only living man to know the way into the City of the Dead is one Jont Urner, I have heard that he was last seen in Roachdale."

----

You each begin making your way to Roachdale, perhaps you meet once more on a cart, having a strange sense of deja vu, or perhaps you meet in Roachdale itself.

Have any of you ever been to Roachdale before, and if so what is it like?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Quinn Alders

"Ah...balls."

Well, at least heading to Roachdale will get him further away from Handclasp. Although from what he's heard, Roachdale isn't exactly the best place for watchmen. Or even ex-watchmen.

Still, a deal's a deal. He wanted help fighting demons, this is the price you gotta pay.

Gathering his things, Quinn buys passage on a coach headed out of town.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Vessel

If Vessel could frown, it would do so. It had thought itself more or less safe from Her prying, but it seems that such is not the case. The amount of power that woman can bring to bear is truly terrifying. It seems the forgeborn has little choice. So, reluctantly, it begins seeking directions to the town of Roachdale, the better to get this task started and finished - the sooner the better.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Emilia Plafox

Emilia proudly and solemnly accepts the task, but only after demanding the visitor stay for tea. And gossip. So much gossip.

As she leaves Horizon and arrives in Roachdale, she spies a rather handsome looking man. With a strange fake arm. That's funny, in her dream, there was...

Emilia gasps! And begins trying to spy on Quinn without him knowing.

She is absolutely terrible at it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Quinn Alders

Realizing that someone's watching him, Quinn turns his head a bit to see who it is out of the corner of his eye.

He thinks to himself, "Hmm, she's cute," before turning away...then a look of confusion crosses his face, and he looks back in a double-take.

"Wait a minute...I know you!"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Emilia Plafox

"Eep! I mean, um, how do you know me? I mean, hey you! Who are you?! How do you know me?!"

Emilia tries to gesture menacingly with a wand!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Quinn Alders

Quin raises his hands slowly. "Whoa, whoa, whoa...take it easy. I just meant I could have sworn we've met already."

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Vessel

"Yes. I would swear the same thing." The voice comes from the side, where a red-eyed forgeborn is approaching the wizardess and battle-captain. "Curious."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Emilia Plafox

"I...had a very strange dream that involved you."

Emilia notices the robot!

"Er, that involved you both. Why, what are you doing here? Don't think you can just charm your way out, mister!"

The wand is waved menacingly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Brynjolf

Brynjolf kicks open the door to the Inn (for that is what it was), shoving aside patrons as he stalks his way to the bar. They part like some mythical sea (that you'd never hear stories about), and the pitfighter slams his fist down on the counter quite loudly. There's no mistaking his intentions.

"BARKEEP. AN ALE, AND KEEP IT COMING."

He then leans heavily on the countertop, surveying the patrons while he waits for the bar wench to bring him his order, when he spies Quinn being accosted by Emilia and probably Vessel, maybe. His eyes narrow, and he wears the look of a man who isn't quite sure what the gently caress he is looking at.

What's that you say? We're in a Inn?

Why yes, we are.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 14, 2014

• Locked thread