Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

Stepping up for duty.

I am comfortable pretty much anywhere on the board, but to make things easier for you I'll request 1 Company, 2nd platoon. Let me know if that works or if you need me somewhere else.

Once that's decided I'll get to work on the intricate backstory for each one of my fantastically doomed troop. Cherry orchards may be involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

I'm gonna start chipping in on the pre-game by setting up an OPORD for dtkozl. Anyone up for labeling key terrain, buildings, and other features on the map? I can do it but I'll focus on this first and I'm not great with names (it'd all end up being greek mythology figures or something boring like that).

OPORD will follow the standard format, and I'll leave plenty of blanks to fill in.

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

An OPORD framework will help give Dtkozl something to work with as he plans for mission execution and make sure we are all
on the same page. I'll keep it skeletal so folks can pitch in. Names for each of the fords/terrain features/etc
would be fantastic. I'll keep the military Jargon on a leash (no ASRs, EENT, or anything like that).

A running list of questions for Grey Hunter will follow in APPENDIX B.

I. SITUATION:

Soviet vs. German meeting engagement.

Soviet and German forces are attempting to advance on and hold a village railway station (OBJ ?) in an
unoccupied village.

A. Enemy Forces:

1. Weather and Light:
Unknown Ask Grey Hunter

2. Terrain:
a. River: Crosses map East to West. Cross-able at 5 points (#1-#6 left through right), evenly distributed along its
length.

b. South Bank (river through south): Open terrain with patches of medium vegetation.
i. Swamp: East side. Difficult terrain for vehicles.
ii. Middle Forest: Medium vegetation will impede sight-lines. Extends North/South axis to East, East/West to West.
iii. German Start Area: Victor exit faces east to open ground. Closest fords are #1, #2 and #3.
iv. Russian Start Area: Victor exit faces northwest. Forest to West provides concealment a good way North. Closest fords are #4 and #5.

c. North Bank (river through north): Village. Light buildings and farmland.
i. East/West axis: Crossed by the rail and a road. Vegetation/farmland/buildings can obstruct line of sight.
ii. South/North axis: Crossed to West by a road.
iii. South/North axis: Crossed to West by a road.
iv. Rail Station: On north side of town. East/South sides light vegetation. Farmland to West. One outbuilding South

side, multiple builds north side to offer infantry cover/defensive positions.

3. Enemy:
a. Composition: Unknown (we should get some info before we start here, right?)

b. Disposition: Are deployed to South West of town in German Start Area.

c. Strength: Unknown (similar to our own?)

d. Most likely course of action:

TBA

e. Most dangerous course of action:

TBA

B. Friendly Forces:

1. Higher Mission:
Take Rail Station against opposing German Force. Take minimal casualties while inflicting maximum casualties.

2. Higher Commander Intent:
Insert back-story here? Kill the Germans!

I. Friendly forces in Area of Operation:
i. Composition: See Appendix A.
ii. Disposition: Formed up in Russian Start Area, South East of Objective.

II. Support:
Organic artillery. See Appendix A.

II. MISSION

Seize and hold the railroad station.

(State this twice in your head like a good soldier).

III. EXECUTION

A. Concept of Operation:
To be determined by our good comrade dtkozl!

1. Maneuver:
CO's discretion.

B. Tasks to maneuver units:
CO's discretion.

C. Tasks to combat support units:
CO's discretion.

D. Coordinating instructions:
CO's discretion.

IV. SERVICE SUPPORT:

A. General:
CCP (Casualty Collection Point) will be established after the battle. Don't get shot soldier!

B. Material and Services:

1. Supply:
Platoon sergeant, squad and team leaders will redistribute ammo if needed.
No tank ammunition resupply available.
No artillery munition resupply available.
(Do the trucks hold any sort of resupply)?

2. Transportation:
Tanks may be used to transport troops, but watch out for becoming a target. One truck per infantry company.

C. Close Air Support:
Unavailable.

D. Fire Support:
4 x 76mm Infantry Gun (OB-25)
8 x 82mm Mortars, BM-43 (4x per infantry company)

E. Medical Evacuation:
Is this a joke?

F. Miscellaneous:
None.

V. COMMAND AND SIGNAL

A. Succession of command:
dtkozl is in overall command of this mission.
See appendix A for further details.

B. SIGNALS:
I defer to dtkozl how he wants to handle unit naming/terminology. Probably something simple for Grey Hunter so we don't confuse him and get shot to hell! Might be some room for personal creativity here though?

IE
i. Callsigns:
1'1'0 tatankatonk's ...
1'1'1 dublish's ...
1'1'2 RedFlag's Spearchuckers
1'1'3 AceBuckey13's ...
And so on...

ii. Method of Communication
By webforum post, silly.

iii. Pyrotechnics and Signals:
Not required.

iv. Codewords
Ok, some of the are redundant. Germans stay out!

v. Challenge and password:
Nah

vi. Running Password:
OH poo poo DYING HELP

APPENDIX A: MISSION TO&E

1st Battalion
Headquarters Team (BATTALION COMMANDER--dtkozl) [x]

Infantry Gun Battery (light)
4 x 76mm Infantry Gun (OB-25) (SUBORDINATE TO BATTALION COMMANDER--dtkozl) [x]

1st Rifle Company
Headquarters Team (COMPANY COMMANDER--tatankatonk) [x]
Sniper Team (SUPPORT COMMANDER--Tetrakarn) [x]
1st Platoon (3 squads infantry, 1 sniper team, 1 scout team, 1 flamethrower team) (PLATOON COMMANDER--dublish) [x]
2nd Platoon (3 squads infantry, 1 sniper team, 1 scout team, 1 flamethrower team) (PLATOON COMMANDER--RedFlag) [x]
3rd Platoon (3 squads infantry, 1 sniper team, 1 scout team, 1 flamethrower team) (PLATOON COMMANDER--AceBuckeye13) [x]
Machine Gun section (Maxim M1910) (SUPPORT COMMANDER--Kaisloc) [x]
Machine Gun Team (Maxim HMG) (SUPPORT COMMANDER--Davin Valkri) [x]
Antitank gun Team (76mm Antitank gun) (SUPPORT COMMANDER--Hob Gadling) [x]
Truck (Studebaker) (SUBORDINATE TO SUPPORT COMMANDER)

Mortar Platoon [Medium] (4x82mm Mortars, BM-43) (tatankatonk) [x]

2nd SMG Company
Headquarters Team (COMPANY COMMANDER--Herp Derp) [x]
1st Platoon (3 SMG squads, 1 Tank Hunter team) (PLATOON COMMANDER--brakeless) [x]
2nd Platoon (3 SMG squads, 1 Tank Hunter team) (PLATOON COMMANDER--RedLobster) [x]
3rd Platoon (3 SMG squads, 1 Tank Hunter team) (PLATOON COMMANDER--Willie Tomg) [x]
Machine Gun Team (Maxim HMG) (SUPPORT COMMANDER--
Machine Gun Team (Maxim HMG) (SUPPORT COMMANDER--Comstar)
Antitank gun Team (76mm Antitank gun) (SUPPORT COMMANDER--Jaguars!) [x]
Truck (Studebaker) (SUBORDINATE TO SUPPORT COMMANDER)

Mortar Platoon [Medium] (4x82mm Mortars, BM-43) (Herp Derp) [x]

3rd Tank Company
HQ Heavy Tank (IS-2 (mid)) (COMPANY COMMANDER--The Merry Marauder) [x]
1st Heavy Tank (IS-2 (mid)) (TANK COMMANDER--Asehujiko) [x]

HQ Tank (T-70M (M1943)) (TANK COMMANDER--uPen) [x]
1st Light Tank (T-70M (M1943)) (TANK COMMANDER--duckfoot) [x]
2nd Light Tank (T-70M (M1943)) (TANK COMMANDER--Simplefish) [x]

HQ Medium Tank (T-34-85) (TANK COMMANDER--Gamerofthegame) [x]
1st Medium Tank (T-34-85) (TANK COMMANDER--Krysmphoenix) [x]
2nd Medium Tank (T-34-85) (TANK COMMANDER--Grumio) [x]

APPENDIX B: QUESTIONS FOR GREY HUNTER

1. What are the weather/light conditions for this engagement?
2. What do we know of the German T&E?

Edit away as needed!

RedFlag fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 3, 2014

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

Map looks fantastic.

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

Bad intel in the military? Shocking!

Any word on what we are up against yet?

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

Asehujiko, just sent an invite request for Roll20. Timestamp 5:02 pm (Mountain Time).

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

Comstar posted:

Sent request to the D20m thing. Personally I would prefer everyone post in the thread - it gives the peanut gallery something more to laugh at, and when the game is over, you can come back to the thread and face palm at your own dumb orders.

Yup, half the fun for anyone following these threads is seeing everything play out in detail from both sides. We'll be able to integrate the D20m tools into our posting for convenience for the best of both worlds.

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

Here we go.

I won't say much until I've got my marching orders from tatankatonk. Being last to cross means we should be able to assist the IS 2s in overwatch until it is our turn to cross. For phase 2 1 company is better suited to acting as support by fire for a close range assault by 2 company.

Once tatankatonk gives orders I'll work on my Platoon brief. dtkozl, do you have any specific intention for timing/movement coordination, especially when crossing the ford? Easy to clusterfuck up there, especially if a vehicle gets stuck.

RedFlag fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 4, 2014

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

tatankatonk any timing for crossing the ford to avoid clustering? I'd also recommend we not cluster up at OP BULBASUR - 2nd platoon volunteers to be the tip of our spear and move straight on OP Diglett and environs if able.

edit: Orders for 1'1'2 will be up tomorrow evening (mountain time) at latest. I'll work with what I've got by then.

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

How do you want us moving on our first rally point (to wait for crossing)? General pace for the company? Movement plan (Company file, Company line)? Order of march on the way? Is there a spacing plan while we wait to make crossing (so we aren't all bunched up)?

A general idea like platoons # and # watch west, # watches north might help us organize amongst ourselves. I leave to you the overarching details, comrade leader!

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

Orders for 1'1'2 will be up this evening, as soon as I'm back from work and have a bit of time to make sure I'm clear with my orders.

Roll20 invite request sent - again - I'm just really bad at e-mail addresses apparently?

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

1'2 Platoon Cast of Living Characters

2'0 : Nevzorov Pavel (Pasha) Mikhailovich
2'1
2'2 : Sonin Borislav Nikitovich
2'3 : Petrov Yemelyan Vladislavovich
Scout : Astakhov Alesnarovich
Sniper : Schastlivtseva Grusha Danilovna
Flame

1'2 Platoon Cast of Dead Characters

*None yet*

*Turn 1*

2'0: *Zdravstvuyte, tovarishchi.* You've all heard the battalion and the company briefs. I'll keep this quick. First, welcome to our new man, Petrov Yemelyan Vladislavovich. He will be taking 2'3 since Nikolayevich took up gardening.

2'1: *Upokoy, Gospodi, yego dushu.*

: We've done this before, but I will be a little more wordy today since we have a new guy learning the ropes, ok? So, for this phase of the mission: We move north with the company, second in column. Platoon delta, heavy left. Tell the new guy what that means, comrade Alesnarovich.

: Simple. Scout, Sniper teams will be pushed out to vanguard and rearguard security towards the enemy. Meanwhile 2'1 and 2'2 push up in echelon on the left, putting a line towards the most likely direction of contact. 2'3 will be reserve trailing on the right, free to move as necessary if we take contact. We move in a broad front, so that 3 platoon have room to move behind us.

Flamethrower: My team will follow on Vladislavovich's rear end. We won't be any use until we are in spitting range of the German *svin'i*.

: 2'2 will have compass and point. Comrade Nikitovich, not too close to 1 platoon, not too far. If they get pinned down we need to be able to move, da?

2'2: Da, comrade Mikhailovich. You will take the middle?

: Of course, so I can keep an eye on all of you! Once 1 platoon reaches their defensive position, we will take up ours to their south west. Remember that we will have friendlies moving on our left to reach the second ford - I want full trigger discipline. No more accidents! Danilovna, you will be watching our extreme flank. You tell me when the last tanks have crossed in front of our advance, da?

Sniper: Of course.

2'3: Thank you, comrade. I think I have it.

: You had better, comrade Vladislavovich. Now go, brief your people. We move out in five. *Za rodinu!*

All : *Za rodinu!*

Grey, 1 company 2 platoon will first deploy into our movement formation, as follows:

This will give time for the lead elements and 1'2 platoon to step off. Once 1st platoon begins moving, 2 platoon will follow with my advance element moving ~50 meters behind the rear element of 1st platoon. We will follow until we reach Check Point 1 (the bend in our movement path, at which point each individual element will take up positions as seen on the map.

At this point, 1'2 platoon will hold position until 1'1 platoon begins to cross the ford, at which point 1'2 platoon will form back up into our movement formation as best as possible and follow behind. (That should take us to 5 minutes, I will be surprised if we make it too far past the ford by then but then again I don't have a good handle on the map size yet). We will move at whatever speed appropriate to keep correct spacing with 1'1 platoon, and at 'move' speed otherwise.

Overwatch Postions

ORDERS END

EDIT: Added one more image to show positioning.

RedFlag fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 5, 2014

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

...It's beautiful.

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

a good rule for tanks - if you can see the target, you can shoot it. You can tell somebody who knows about tanks from somebody who doesn't by how close they push on a target. Think of your vehicle as a permanently zoomed in sniper in an FPS - hit hard from afar and hope nobody gets near you.

I somehow missed that the soviet orbat puts the platoon co in an infantry squad (at least as far as I can tell right now, won't be able to watch the video for a bit). Oops, my bad Grey.

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

Unless tatankatonk has something up his sleeve, here are 1'2 platoon's orders for this turn. Also keeping the talking heads down unless I have a movement or concept I want to explain (and/or the shooting really starts).

1'H: We made the ford. Time to hold position until we have room to make our rush into the village. I cannot call this a good defensive position, but we should not take any real fire unless the Germans push up on the south side of the river - and they will not be able to do so unchallenged.

1'Scout: I don't like this swamp at my back - I can't swim! Pulling back to my comrades. I wonder which poor bastard is about to eat some German shells?

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

Orders now obsolete, see more recent post:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647490&pagenumber=17#post432131075

RedFlag fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 13, 2014

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

Editing new orders now.

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

2'H : Nevzorov Pavel (Pasha) Mikhailovich
Flame

*None yet*

2'H: New orders! Comrades, we will move to the next ford and cross before the enemy can lock it down! Feel lucky your in this platoon, I'd hate to be in our footsteps - if we move fast, we just might have a chance.

2'2: Movement plan, comrade?

2'H: Follow the tree line on this side of the river. Keep your spacing as best as you can in this little rush. Once across we move north, find cover to rest and give room for our friends behind us.

Scout: Plenty of friendlies in front of us.

2'H: That's right, and that might just save our asses. But, skoro skazka skazyvayetsya, da ne skoro delo delaetsya. This job needs to be done quickly.

Revised

Grey, 1'2'Scout and 1'2'2 will move quick immediately along the indicated route. All other sections will first move to CP Step Off and then follow behind on quick. Please put a 10 second wait on 1'2'3 to ensure some spacing. Once reaching the village, we continue moving quick to our final destinations (marked with the red circles). We stop for nothing.

RedFlag fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 14, 2014

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

I had a feeling that might happen Dublish. Tell you what, I'll revise my orders to put 1'2 on the north side of that field we were both aiming for (between the railroad tracks) - I need to tighten up the platoon in any case. That should give you some room to work with if you are pushing in that far as well (which I do think is a good idea).

*Edited orders in my post on this page*

RedFlag fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 13, 2014

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

Fast orders changed to quick.

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

Well, this is it for 1'2 - either we make it accross the ford before they zero in with that mg or we don't. I think my first squad should do ok, but after that...

I don't envy the rest of my company!

On the other hand, we should have a better idea of what's shooting at us the next turn. Too bad our boat can't see it - is some suppression fire feasible?

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

It looks to me that we've massively exceeded the tempo the germans expected of us. That or they are a total mess over there. I fully expected them to have our second ford locked down by now (and that my platoon would be half dead finding this out). Maybe our navy fooled them or set them back?

I'm still anticipating trouble on the far shore and for the platoons behind me. I think we need some support if we want to coninue the crossing (that is, of 1'1 and 1'3. If I have some big gun support I could turn around on the bank (not immediately, but further up and in a defensive position) and we can coordinate a protected crossing. The risk is buying in on what might be the german plan and fighting on their terms. The alternative is to gamble with our percieved advantage and keep up the push to defensive position, in which case we might lose most of 1 company. nThis is above my paygrade - which is it going to be?

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

Continuing and restating my thoughts from earlier...

tatankatonk: What is 1. Co.'s priority here? To get across the ford intact and to preserve our infantry as much as possible, which may prove vital considering 2. Co. losses? Or to maintain the momentum advantage and to focus on the push securing the rail station/north side against a laggard German attack?

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

My goal now, as far as I can tell, is to deliver my platoon intact in to the town and be ready to support a future defensive or offensive action.

Odds we'll make it? Well - as long as the field north of the ford isn't covered by something we haven't seen yet, it just might work.

1'2 continues movement towards our original destination as per last turn. We are continue to move fast, only slowing down to move once each section crosses to the east of the barn just south of the dirt track. Once set, 1'2'H and 1'2'2 look west, and 1'2'3 holds as a reserve looking south.

I apologize for using the same image twice - I am aware that my platoon looks like it is currently arriving at/crossing the ford, but aside from that, no changes in last turn's plan. Thanks Grey!

2'0 : I have to admire the stones on those who follow behind. Udacha budet nesti muzhchinu cherez ruchey, yesli on ne polenilsya prygnut. 'Luck will carry a man across the brook if he is not too lazy to leap.'

RedFlag fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 18, 2014

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

The Merry Marauder posted:

I would strongly urge you to turn off "fast" in favor of "move" for each squad once it crosses the ford and is covered by the trees.

Exhausted troops might as well be HMG fodder.

Honestly I won't be happy until I'm up in the northern buildings. I'm more afraid of getting caught in the open on the north side of the ford - how good is that tree cover anyway? What's the elevation coming up from the bank?

I'll amend my orders slightly in any case, appreciate the advice.

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

Not liking how spread out my guys are. And what is 1'2'3 doing way back near our start point (going by Grey's map?). Guess he really is new to all this!

Curious as to what losses I've taken in 1'2'H, but I can leave the head count for later. For now, onwards!

1'2 continues moving across the ford and to the north, fast. Final positions remain the same.

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

Jaguars! posted:

1-2 Platoon (Redflag) - you are the one who has arrived north of the river, right? Where do you intend to move next? I'm the bunch to your east, so I need to make sure we don't occupy the same space as you. I was intending to move through the forest so I end up between your current position and 2-2 in the rail station. I need to do the orders tonight cause I'm away for the weekend.

(not my orders Grey, those will be coming shortly)

My intention is still to take the area just south of the tracks, as seen here:

My platoon is still spread out, but in the end I hope to get as many of the guys there alive as possible and rest/prepare to defend in the meantime.

The rest of 1 company will be moving to occupy my south, but it might take a while. I don't think we'll have much room down there, given that the German forces across the river will be angling to saturate the south side of the village with fire. Maybe you could take a position in line with my forces until the rest of 1 company can make it? Or just behind, to act as a reserve/closing force? Anyway, you know where I'll be now.

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

tatankatonk posted:

RedFlag, I'm going to change your orders. I want your platoon to proceed west around Lapras, not north. The MGs and T-34s provide more fire support, and the houses provide more safety if the germans start firing, and you're in a position closer to the enemy.

That's what I was trying to avoid (the closer to the enemy part) - I was hoping my platoon could grab some rest after sprinting all this way AND that the rest of the company could move up for mutual support before moving west (which was also my intention once 1 and 3 platoon were in place to support/reinforce). That said, if you want me providing support for our other elements sooner than later, no problem boss.

(Also keep in mind that half my platoon has yet to cross the river and that my sister platoons need room to maneuver once across - no more bunching!).

RedFlag fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 25, 2014

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

2'0 : Nevzorov Pavel (Pasha) Mikhailovich
Flame

2'0: New guy didn't last long. No resting under bullets - move!

Change of plan - 1'2'H and 1'2'3 are going to continue moving fast across the ford, but once back on dry land they will move northwest to the indicated positions. For not 1'2'2 will hold position. 1'2'flame will move south west into cover and hide until they are needed or somebody gets into effective range. 1'2'Sniper will move southwest to the farm house and get eyes down the road, and 1'2'Scout will get into the north treeline to look west.

Maybe a map?

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

Orders remain the same - sections will move to the indicated locations.

quote:

1'2'H and 1'2'3 are going to continue moving fast across the ford, but once back on dry land they will move northwest to the indicated positions. For not 1'2'2 will hold position. 1'2'flame will move south west into cover and hide until they are needed or somebody gets into effective range. 1'2'Sniper will move southwest to the farm house and get eyes down the road, and 1'2'Scout will get into the north treeline to look west.

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

Tatankatonk hasn't posted yet - at this point I'll continue to proceed with last turn's orders, hopefully finish getting into place while covering the rest of the platoon's crossing and getting some rest.

quote:

1'2'H and 1'2'3 are going to continue moving fast across the ford, but once back on dry land they will move northwest to the indicated positions. For not 1'2'2 will hold position. 1'2'flame will move south west into cover and hide until they are needed or somebody gets into effective range. 1'2'Sniper will move southwest to the farm house and get eyes down the road, and 1'2'Scout will get into the north treeline to look west.

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

While I may have some fine tuning to do in the future, for now:

1'2 will hold in place and provide security for its sister platoons as they move north. All sections will hold in place with the exception of 1'2'Sniper, which will occupy the building they are next to and watch west down the road.

Thanks, Grey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

I'll post some thoughts after reading the main thread. I'm not even disappointed about the lack of action 1st Company had - means we'll be more than ready for the next fight!

Although I think we could have really smashed the Germans with an extra few turns, turning the flank of the assault. Pretty sure my guys were just about fully rested and ready to do some damage.

Beautiful work, team!

• Locked thread