Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duckfoot
Nov 9, 2009
Could I take one of the scout tanks?

Probably not a good idea to put me in command, I really have no idea what I'm doing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfoot
Nov 9, 2009
I volunteer to be the first T-70 over the river, for the glory of the motherland! Plus it's my first time, so it makes sense for me to go out early.

uPen posted:

You're just trying to get me killed, I understand.

T-70 vs a 37mm cannon, shaded areas are angles and distances which could result in penetration of the armor.

Will I have smoke cover?
:ohdear:

edit: Asehujiko, yes it's me!

duckfoot fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 4, 2014

duckfoot
Nov 9, 2009

3rd Company, 1st Light Tank

Deploy in grid square Q14, load up 2nd platoon's AT team. Unbutton.

Move QUICKLY as per the map below, slowing down as necessary to cross Ford Cerulean.

Unload the 2nd platoon troops at OP Diglett, then follow the remaining trail on the map below to use the building east of OP graveler as cover from the west. Final position if possible should be at the north edge, giving me a view over the woods at OP haunter.

I await further orders, Comrade Marauder! :ussr:

duckfoot
Nov 9, 2009
My plan was to hunt along the northern edge of OP graveler, giving me a view of the northwest approach and a direct approach from Ford fuchsia, like so.

Once I've got contact, I'll pull back. Is this a bad idea? I'm new so guidance or micromanaging is welcome...

duckfoot
Nov 9, 2009

The Merry Marauder posted:

Yeah, hang out for now, at least until we see if there's a mirrored rush.
Maybe duckfoot can get eyes on the W ford. If we can find a safe place from which to do so.

That's a good five minute excursion with me exposed from all sides - a view on the ford might be difficult, but i can keep an eye on western axis moves from cover one minute north of my current position at the barns? Given we can see panzers north of viridian, poking my nose further at that point might be unwise, cover north of OP Igglybuff looks sparse...

Am I bait?

duckfoot
Nov 9, 2009

Continue moving quickly to the side of the barn, as before, Facing turret towards the west. Continue to loop around north of the barn heading west, ending up at the western edge of OP graveller, facing south west.

\/\/Good point, orders amended

duckfoot fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 10, 2014

duckfoot
Nov 9, 2009
Oh, does anyone have a picture showing the view from my little tank at Graveller south across jumpluff, igglybuff and koffing? I still have no idea whether I have a great view or none at all, from the over head map. If it's crap, I'll probably creep forward to the building south west of me to my doom!

e: uPen, I'd support a run to the north of haunter, I can't make the run from the south as I'd be exposed to those PzIVs wheeling towards me, but we need to know if we'll be ambushed from those woods, the krauts could easily have snuck halftracks or something through fuschia, we could get a very nasty surprise from the west.

duckfoot fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 13, 2014

duckfoot
Nov 9, 2009

Grumio posted:

I think you're in a great spot, Duck, as you're tucked away and have eyes on some good ground. Upen isn't really scouting anything from back in the field which is why he'll be moving up to haunter/beyond. I'm not sure what we're gaining from simplefish parking himself way back there either, as I don't think anyone's going to get onto the railroad without us knowing about it (thanks to spotting from you or the T-34s) and at this range his gun isn't going to be very effective.

dublish posted:

From GH's maps, I think this is what you can see. That nice big field directly ahead of you is in E-5 southeast of Jumpluff. D-5 is going to be more difficult to see because the ground starts sloping away from you towards the river.

Yup, I've updated my angle of view on roll20 and its a good spot considering the movement we've seen so far. It'd be really useful if upen could move up north of haunter. It'd also be useful if we could have a bigger tube relieve Simplefish, did I see a AT gun south of the river still?

duckfoot
Nov 9, 2009

Face Southwest. Load armour piercing shells. Get ready to run like hell.

edit: If German armour is seen in my field of view before the first minute finshes, begin reversing to cover behind the barn.

duckfoot fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 15, 2014

duckfoot
Nov 9, 2009

BTW, I like your icon, duckfoot.

would you like one?

If you'd like another slogan just ask

e: totally stole the idea from dublish by the way

duckfoot fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 13, 2014

duckfoot
Nov 9, 2009
Krysmphoenix, one for you. Sorry you can't move.

duckfoot
Nov 9, 2009
Sure, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow, I'm off to bed.

duckfoot
Nov 9, 2009
I was reasonably confident I could survive a minute on that corner before the fascists start knocking my door down. Two minutes? *gulp* Those panzers will be rolling into view...

duckfoot
Nov 9, 2009

Asehujiko posted:

Can I get a Soviet-ized version of my old logo? Except with a halftrack or other light vehicle now that I'm actually in a heavy tank.

Willie Tomg posted:

The sitting dog in the bottom right. I like that dog, actually. That dog is cool as hell.

Is that any good?

duckfoot
Nov 9, 2009

Can duckfoot see the C/D 5 treeline? That seems like an obvious base of fire for them.

Yes, in the far distance. I don't reckon my HE rounds will be up to much though...

duckfoot
Nov 9, 2009

Aw, I don't know, you're not gonna wipe anyone there out unless you get lucky, but even your MGs can suppress with area fire at that range, and deny them the ability to use it as a base of fire.

Ah I have mgs? I did not know that...

Are you heavy tanks going to take a peek round the corner at that panther? I imagine you're quite well protected, the Germans have at least an mg covering the ford from the south side and some scattered infantry (doing what exactly?) Which we could do with distracting...

Mind you, with 3 pz4s north of the river under your beady eyes you're pretty useful as you are...

duckfoot
Nov 9, 2009

First Minute: Face Southwest. Shoot at anything and everything that moves.
Second Minute: If taking anything heavier than small arms fire, or enemy tanks are in full view of my tank, reverse around the corner of OP Graveller into cover.

duckfoot
Nov 9, 2009

It's a Panther, the silhouette is different. And yeah, duckfoot should pull back behind the building until it goes away, dies, or gets very close.

I'm actually fairly safe from the Panther unless it makes a suicide run into the station. I'm considering staying put until I see movement, I can keep a watch on any axis moves to the far west, then head back if any more armour heads my way. Either way a squad in the treeline directly west of me is necessary to keep an eye on any moves that way now uPen has gone up in smoke, I'm pretty much keyholed.

duckfoot
Nov 9, 2009

Stay put, look sharp. One hand on the trigger, other one on your balls.

duckfoot
Nov 9, 2009

I'm not saying he's 100% to penetrate the front glacis, but this isn't a 2km shot, it's quite short range, and there's certainly spots an 85mm can penetrate frontally.

But yes, if this is necessary, simplefish, at least, will be demonstrating from the north. duckfoot in his current situation would be little more than another target, I'd really rather he not be wasted in that way.

e: if Grumio wants to include an alternate "flanking" route as well, I'm sure we'd like to see it.

Personally, I think we'd be throwing away a fantastic position for a T-34 if we don't send one north of haunter. uPen's sacrifice wasn't in vain - he kept a watch between OPs Haunter and Mew up until last minute, and the only thing that showed its face was the Panther (unluckily for uPen). It's clear, at least from a major flanking force. My 37mm (or whatever peashooter I've got) won't kill a panther unless I'm sitting right behind him, so I'm useless. I've got a good keyhole to mow down any infantry that try to approach between the rail line and the farm. At his current position the northern panther is showing a 45 degree shot to the side from uPen's previous position, which is a risky approach/shot. If a T-34 were to flank north, it would pin the panther in place, even if it doesn't expose itself. The Germans are bound to notice a block of metal steaming north, any movement towards the objective and any engagement (ie blowing up our infantry) by the panther would leave it exposed to a potential flank shot.

At present, that panther can sit where it is blasting away at the objective. The only weapons capable of getting through even the side armour are on the other side of the map (is-2's), set up to cover the objective itself (the field guns), or otherwise occupied (T-34's, both naval and non). I believe with two (three?) enemy tanks down to our one toy tank, that panther probably represents the greatest threat to our forces at present.

Saying that, this is coming from someone in a paper tank quaking behind a barn.

duckfoot
Nov 9, 2009

Stay Still.

duckfoot
Nov 9, 2009

1st Minute: Make sure you're unbuttoned. Keep your eyes peeled.
2nd Minute: If the panther is attacking, reverse round the barn out of sight.

duckfoot
Nov 9, 2009

Sit tight for 30 seconds to let the other elements to get in position, then move as shown below to suicidally confront the panzer...

duckfoot fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 6, 2014

duckfoot
Nov 9, 2009

simplefish posted:

I do see what you mean, but I do still think I can pull it off. I'm relatively useless while it's around and I have a chance to rectify that situation. If I die, it is for the Union.

I cannot let my comrade down in his time of need. Two suicidal tonka tanks and a sharp eyed AT gun. What can go wrong? Orders Amended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfoot
Nov 9, 2009

3rd Company, 1st (ex)Light Tank

Run. Run away, as fast as you can. No sergei, you can clean your pants later.

• Locked thread