Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
We've eight tanks and six tank mans. The IS-2s are mobile bricks, so they can probably stand to double up with the light tanks as well to give them more to do. The mediums need more of the "tactical finesse", heavies just point themselves at the enemy and don't over extend.

Speaking of, I'll take a T-34. Speedy tanks are best tanks.

In terms of communication etc, do the lead tanks in a platoon matter or is there still the strict chain of command of infantry despite actually having radio equipment on hand?

Besides that, we have a full on troop of relatively close shooters, complete with tank killers among them. The SMG infantry probably ought to rush the town and mingle in immediately. Their AT gun could park somewhere in cover and lord over the railway station. I have a strange feeling river physics are dickish, though, and that are heavy tanks couldn't ford it, leaving them on the other side. There is also a marsh or swamp on the right most ford, which means vehicles will get doubly stuck. The next ford over looks like it'll be off the ridge, however.

I'd say the speedy mediums would benefit from dashing around the city streets while the heavies would be better out in the field - otherwise they spend to much time turning and will get picked off by AT-hunters.

Edit: How long does it take to kick artillery up? We pretty much know that they'll be crossing at some point and could pepper the fords. That said, they could do the same thing. If we took a entirely to aggressive route we could force them to take the left most ford by moving heavy tanks up to screen out own force, then artillery the hell out of that ford and leave them hurting.

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

One of the light tanks ought to be enough to cover the "sneak attack" angle just fine, without getting stuck in the wood or being wasted. If nothing comes of it it's not exactly slow, it'll catch back up. We only need one or two for the town portion of the map, anyway. It'll be able to take out infantry well enough and a T-34 is fast enough to be able to divert for any tanks.

Now.

The main mission is to murder them, the objective is just a paltry bonus.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

It was me. You're worrying to much about this, I think. People will spy either way.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Does it matter? It's a order to move to X, doesn't have to be exact with distance.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Krysmphoenix posted:

3rd Tank Company, 1st T-34-85 (Medium Tank)

Well, Gamerofthegame, Grumio, you're the other T-34-85s and I'm a noob here, anything I should know about our medium tanks? Also, who's taking a ride on us?

Lobster's SMG platoon will be hopping on, I presume, and we'll be turboing off across the ford as soon as they're on. So more or less we'll be sitting tight this turn.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Davin Valkri posted:

:stare:

Just to confirm, 37mm is, like, the WEAKEST possible strength for a dedicated German anti-armor gun, right?

If it makes you feel better, just because you suddenly have a hole in your tank doesn't necessarily mean to much.

Sometimes.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Grey Hunter posted:

Now we're onto deployment, can people mark on a map (or a section of said map) where they want their units to be deployed.

I'll get onto getting the units into the game as soon as possible.

Remember, the first "turn" will be five minutes long unless stuff starts to happen earlier.

Let's get the company commanders in on this in a hurry, I suppose, so we don't hold anything up. Sounds like the tanks and trucks will exit from the opening for safety and everyone else will go up from the forest. Simple.

Can you deploy units already on a tank? If so it might be simpler to just let The Boss do it all so we don't mess something up accidentally.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

The two units going to Abra ought to hop on the IS-2s. You're going to the same place and otherwise Flamethrowers hustle like rear end and they don't have commanding binocs. No reason to not.

T-34 HQ

Alright gang, follow my lead.

Deploy on the edge of the clearing, close to the north with as narrow of a turn angle to head straight to the fords.

Unbutton.

With a load of 2nd Platoons SMG troops, move with all QUICK speed to OP Diglet, taking any required slow caution to cross Ford Cerulean. Once at OP Diglet, hold there for the mans to hop off. If that's a option, the gun should be facing to the west for the duration of the journey.

If there is still time in that five minute window, we'll move. T-34 gang, we're to screen the advancing blob up so they don't get caught by any rushing tanks or anything of the sort, so we'll spread out some. I'll take the middle area, one of you watch the tracks and north (Probably huddling up on the tracks, really.) and the other duck to the south. Keep your head down by a building or something.

I will huddle/hunt against the building in J10 keypad six, OP Eevee, on the north side staring down to the west.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

It slowly dawns on me why Grey Hunter is the only one who does these.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Soviet Dickbutt, stat.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Alright Grey Hunter, that'll do. Please quote the offending request in the German thread and reply with this gif as a message from us, thanks.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Whoops, yes. And squares are a bit big otherwise.

Grey, changing my orders to J6. Mistake was probably a little obvious, but.

Gamerofthegame posted:

The two units going to Abra ought to hop on the IS-2s. You're going to the same place and otherwise Flamethrowers hustle like rear end and they don't have commanding binocs. No reason to not.

T-34 HQ

Alright gang, follow my lead.

Deploy on the edge of the clearing, close to the north with as narrow of a turn angle to head straight to the fords.

Unbutton.

With a load of 2nd Platoons SMG troops, move with all QUICK speed to OP Diglet, taking any required slow caution to cross Ford Cerulean. Once at OP Diglet, hold there for the mans to hop off. If that's a option, the gun should be facing to the west for the duration of the journey.

If there is still time in that five minute window, we'll move. T-34 gang, we're to screen the advancing blob up so they don't get caught by any rushing tanks or anything of the sort, so we'll spread out some. I'll take the middle area, one of you watch the tracks and north (Probably huddling up on the tracks, really.) and the other duck to the south. Keep your head down by a building or something.

I will huddle/hunt against the building in J10 J6 keypad six, OP Eevee, on the north side staring down to the west.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

But we are.

We're the Russian side.

:iamafag:

Artillery will happen eventually. Maybe we'll get lucky and get past it. If we don't, we take some loses. Nothing we can do about it.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I henceforth will be the superior to our newly founded River Turret asset. Welcome to the team.

We need to shift around some. We have two T-70s overlapping, one can shimmy off to the far west and cover where the current Railroad T-70 is, while that one shifts down to the south to stare at people crossing the ford/southern open. I intend to shake off my SMG team (Me being the T-34 actually in the toy, lazy prats) and hunt a bit to the south to try to kill that tank. As is if we are stuck with a 1v1 tank battle I'm pretty destined to lose, so I'd rather try to get some side hits in this golden moment.

Map posse, gimme a look see at how the open area just south of OP Lapras sees to the SW, if you would.

We'll be fine.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Edit: ^ Suggestion hour, not a order. And otherwise I'm functionally alone and facing a (usually) better armored tank in a front to front when I could hit him in the weak armor right now. Which is, again, suggestion hour. There might be other tanks, they'll be moving while I'll be still and shooting them (hopefully) in the side. The most likely worst outcome is I'll be seen and they'll know that, gasp, we have units in town. Surprise.

simplefish posted:

Don't just send all the tanks up to cover the railway line. It's long, straight, open, and we've already established that the Germans aren't that far north yet. Watch the South and West, try and pick em off as the smoke clears.

At least, that's what I would do but I don't own this game and I have no sort of command role at all in this match.

I don't intend to send more then one at most, at least until the AT gun gets up. But if we moved you away we'd need a scout tank to replace, I mean.

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 8, 2014

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I think right now the T-70s should have a somewhat more aggressive scouting role then a defensive one. The IS-2s are our king-pin in the line up and if the T-34s are going to be the strong point in the town then we need to make the most of their points - by murdering everything as soon as possible before they can settle in. (Hence why I want to get that tank and infantry now, especially if the smoke is disappearing now and the IS-2 can cover me.)

The town will be safe for a while more. Unless they're roving around in trucks as a whole, which is hilariously expensive and prone to error anyway, they'll get there at the same time we do. Our infantry blobs are probably horizontally level, actually, with any rushers (Tank riders on either side) taking the middle fords. I don't think they're taking the south approach at all, but even if they are the IS-2s should make short work of just about everything involved.

But I am pro-aggressive-as-hell so

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

We don't even need the IS-2s with our noble river boat.

Even if it turns out to be ineffective we can just send the crew to sit on the objective so we don't have to sit a platoon there. (I think that's how objectives work.)

Okay gang. Riverboat, murder everyone. Grumio, continue as planned. You'll probably be just short of the drop off this turn.

T-34 HQ

Move to the south side of OP Lapras (The building it's already next to), face Southwest. (To naysayers; square based movement means I really can't have the tank half in cover with a reliable firing arc, anyway.) Unbutton again if the idiot AI put their heads back in when they got wet. Dismount infantry, murder all Germans.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I am confident that I don't have to pretend Grey Hunter is a computer and give him a fool proof, 100% strict read out (That the pathfinding AI might ignore, anyway) to move five feet, dude.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

You know, pretty sure I actually should have hunted out to the south and shot those tanks in the side. Eh.

Minor aside, sometimes our units report false contacts. Those dudes in the south might not be dudes at all. Or it could be weapons or something.

Alright boss, what do. The enemy tanks have at least, probably only, two tanks in the town. Both are facing North/Northwest. There is a probable fat tank hanging out to the south near the IS-2s, which probably have been spotted. Might be a scout tank. Mystery tank. In a head to head fight history says the better optics and better armored Germans would win, while the T-34s are way more maneuverable. My gung-ho nature says to pull the T-34 wing to the SW and try to shoot the enemy tanks in the rear, but that'd be well within view of the overwatching tank and might fail to get there in time, anyway. With lots of integrated AT-infantry duking it out in the town or flanking to the north (In view of tanks) seems like a bad idea.

To me, right now it seems like the T-34s can use this likely number equalizer and fight tanks or sit back and wait for both forces to merge together. If there are infantry contacts to the far south, their force is probably going to be much smaller then ours.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Roll20 boss, can I have GM keys? I can maintain things/keep it clean and I'm know how the work the drat thing besides.

We need to take screenies and chatlogs for the spectators, too, but I couldn't make a screenshot of the map legible.

Edit: Actually, Grey, what's the identity of the tank to the south? What our units think it is, anyway.

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 12, 2014

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

My first act of power was clearing everything, including the ford and OP names. Why were they tokens.

Fixin' that. If something is off say so.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Grumio posted:

T-34-85 #2

Ok, I'm at OP diglett now and have unloaded the squad I was ferrying. dtkozl/merry maurader, suggestions from here?

I can hold up here and wait to support infantry, or I can maneuver to gain a more proactive spot with eyes over the town/railway (albeit unsupported).

Still waiting on tank boss to settle down on a plan right now.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Roll20 has been updated. Go check and make sure that your tokens are in the proper position, unless you're riding in a truck and then gently caress you.

The Order of Battle as well as those loving recon pictures we keep losing are tucked into the handout section, which is below all the unused unit order tabs.

Draw crazily.

The Merry Marauder posted:

Are the two of you willing to absorb the risk inherent in setting up to fire down IGGLYBUFF? On the bright side, their AT infantry hasn't had time to deploy yet.

I'd have to ask RedLobster to be freed up to cover your flank and spot for you.

Sure thing.

T-34s and PATRIOT BOAT ORDERS

Grumio, as big boss said nestle as you see fit with eyes on the west. I will settle by OP Lapras and stare Igglybuff down, give 'em a taste of my ice beam. PATRIOT BOAT, your task is to eliminate that Panther. JUST DO IT.

T-34 HQ

Tank will Hunt move just below it's current position, preferably half way through the shrubbery to be able to see and shoot as seen in the example image. Then Face down the road.

Ya didn't move me last time, so club the driver so he stops being lazy.

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 13, 2014

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Boss it's up to you to make a CO power screen to send to the Germans when we're on the up and up.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Keep unit tokens on the map where they are presently, not where they're going. People keep placing stuff half way across the map thinking it'll get there in one turn when it in fact takes five, making it confusing to know where everything is and pointless to use roll20 in the first place. Draw a arrow where you're going, if anything. We can wipe that every turn.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

The Merry Marauder posted:

/\ Personally, I'd love for you to put something in that big grey building at I6 to screen the T-34s. If you're doing nothing while the rest of your company shows up....

Nothing really to screen right now. Their infantry have quite a few buildings to wander through or a open street. Him resting his troops (Some of which sprinted from the river) would probably be better then milling about right now.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I think we're witting the moral victory.

By the way, for the spectators;

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

When we sweep the field, how will the patriotic river boat work?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I'm pretty sure that's not how a boat works.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

How do-able would it be for a IS-2 to pull up from the woods with a targeting order on the Panther? I don't really feel safe where I am with a Panther lazily overlooking the town.

IS-2 is a thick heavy, so even if the Panther does get a hit it probably won't kill it outright. Even something bad like immobilization wouldn't be too bad in it's current position.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

We can probably buy new stuff anyway. Don't worry about it either way, then you'll just get scared.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

:rip:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Our infantry do, though.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

The option to pop smoke is there and infantry certainly had smoke grenades in WWII. I can't say for absolute-I-played-this-game certain, but they should be carrying them.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could very well be teams of the same squad.

I'm getting the feeling that the German troops are all on foot here, other then the tank riders already in town. If they had a truck and anti-tank gun we would have seen it via the T-70s by now, so I think they just went all in with artillery and infantry here. And weapons teams to the south, I guess, hiding in the tree line.

If we can knock out their tanks we should have what amounts to free reign, and their tanks are obvious. I ought to beable to slam into one or two next turn and we can set the the other T-34 in a more proactive position to catch the rest.

I'm not to worried about infantry right now, but we are technically a bit behind schedule.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I think the IS-2s would be seeing some of them off the ford, though.

Maybe...

The Germans are bad?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I realize the Panzer 4s are all still in place, but I just realized - the panther is moving. Even if the German commander unwisely stops it in the middle of where it's going, it's currently out in the open and moving. This is a rare opportunity for an IS-2 to roll forward and take it out without having to eat a reactionary shot first.

Might be worth considering. Two hits from the T-34s didn't do to much, it's to far for a guarantee.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

If both tanks are moving neither gets a advantage, and if the IS-2 just takes a short hop it's more likely that the Panther will still be moving to it's new position (Or the old one again) and be unable to do anything about it. The heavy doesn't have to turn to face the Panther, just move forward and then maybe immediately reverse again.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Alright gang, pretty much as is. PATRIOT BOAT will try and give the Panther to the south a evil eye and the T-34s will hold strong. It might be worthwhile to move to another position instead of sitting out in the middle of a wheat field, though. Could move closer to the railway and cover the north side. Your discretion.

T-34 HQ

Hold. On second turn if enemy infantry contacts spotted button up.

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

simplefish posted:

Hob Galding, I know it's been happening every turn so far, but I'm begging you to bring the AT gun up to the tracks. It's not that your position won't work (you say you checked the arc on the map, even though I'm sceptical from seeing dtkozl's photo) but the main problem is that what you'd be covering is already covered by a T-34.

The T-34s being able to run around would be nice, though. And they seem to have more tanks in town then we do, so that's fine right now.

• Locked thread