Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Aren't T-70s, like, real bad? Can we switch them with something more useful like extra infantry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

I'm excited to command 1st Company! If that's what I'm assigned, which I'm hoping is what will occur!

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

How rare are smoke rounds for artillery on both sides? If the Germans are smart, they'll drop smoke rounds on the open ground east of the G ford while they move north to the B ford.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

What's the scale for the gridded map? Like, how long is 100, 200, 300, meters etc.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

dtkozl posted:

So initially I'm thinking we have the Rifle company cover grids 5 down to the river.

Do you mean you want us to take up overwatch positions covering these grids? Or actually ford the river and occupy a line from grid 5 to the bank?

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Clearly we need to use the Top Gun callsign generator

e: I got Panama, HELL YEAH

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 3, 2014

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Can't we screen the LM ford with armor while most of our force takes the P ford? Some of our tanks are going to have to drive over to M10 anyway so they can get LOS on the germans crossing the river.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

RedFlag posted:

Bad intel in the military? Shocking!

Any word on what we are up against yet?

Four dozen PzIIs

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

I just sent an invite request for Roll20

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Woops, request sent once more to the correct email address.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

I think company commanders should wait until we see where we're deployed before giving further orders.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

dublish posted:

The 1st Platoon Flamethrower Team will Quick from spawn to M-11, and hold position in the woods there with Battalion command.

1st Rifle Platoon and its remaining assets will Move north from spawn to Q-11. We will wait there until the T-70s and 2nd Company have passed, then queue up to ford the river at P-7.

CHAIN OF COMMAND MCNULTY

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

1. Company

General Orders

All three platoons will move from deployment to Grid Q9 and assemble in cover while armor and 2. Co. fords the river. After they've crossed, the company will follow and assemble around OP Bulbasaur, with 1st Platoon and 2nd Platoon leading. 3 Platoon will follow in reserve. All Platoons, if still unengaged, will advance west to occupy a line at OPs Diglett and Eevee, where we will support 2. Co. and react to enemy movements.

Specific Orders
1.1, 1.2, 1.3, and all support sections unless otherwise noted, move to Q9 to wait to cross. 1.3, detach your flamethrower team to accompany Battalion HQ to OP Abra. The Studebaker will tow the AT-gun to Q9 by skirting the trees immediately north of the deployment zone, carrying the company's HMGs. Kaislock and Davin Valkri, load your HMG sections into the truck. Tetrakarn, your sniper team will accompany Company command until you're detached with specific orders. Company command will follow the platoons to Q9 on foot. Platoons will march in column (Company in file), 1.1 first, then 1.2, then 1.3. Platoons 1.1 and 1.2 will face west and Platoon 1.3 will face north across the river. All platoon leaders will be responsible for spacing their men out to avoid clustering. If necessary for spacing, deploy a little further northwest of the marked objective but stay out of the approach of 2. Co. and armor elements.

The pace of the movement north will be the 'Move' command.

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 4, 2014

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Oh, really? Orders amended!

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

dtkozl posted:

tatankatonk not to be rude but you should be explicit in your orders. The truck can hold either two HMGS, 1 HMG and 1 sniper, 1 HMG and you, or 1 sniper and you (plus the AT gun of course), and you should be specific which of these options you want to do and order those specific goons to do it. If we give grey vague orders, well things tend to go bad.

Gotcha.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

RedFlag posted:

tatankatonk any timing for crossing the ford to avoid clustering? I'd also recommend we not cluster up at OP BULBASUR - 2nd platoon volunteers to be the tip of our spear and move straight on OP Diglett and environs if able.

edit: Orders for 1'1'2 will be up tomorrow evening (mountain time) at latest. I'll work with what I've got by then.

We'll have time to figure out the timing of the river crossing once we get there; there's no point drawing up a schedule if we face a suprise german attack before that!

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

RedFlag posted:

A general idea like platoons # and # watch west, # watches north might help us organize amongst ourselves. I leave to you the overarching details, comrade leader!

Noted and appreciated. Orders have been further amended. dublish, let's not make orders sending people across the river yet, we'll have plenty of time for that later.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

:stare:

Just to confirm, 37mm is, like, the WEAKEST possible strength for a dedicated German anti-armor gun, right?

Yeah. They're probably going to be rocking Panzerschrecks and 88mm or more. The T-70s are basically fast scouts that can only withstand small arms fire

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

As company commander I have direct control over the truck.

Hob Gadling: No. The truck still has to get the HMG teams across the river, and at any rate there's going to be an IS-2 or two at Abra. If they can't kill what they see with their 122mm guns, you won't be able to either. Your gun also takes a while to deploy, and it's just too much bother right now to send the truck out on a scouting mission when there's troops already doing that.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Wait, I think it might actually be under your command? Since it's subordinate to the support commanders? Either way, the order still stands. The truck gets used to shuttle people around until we make contact.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

tatankatonk posted:

1. Company

General Orders

All three platoons will move from deployment to Grid Q9 and assemble in cover while armor and 2. Co. fords the river. After they've crossed, the company will follow and assemble around OP Bulbasaur, with 1st Platoon and 2nd Platoon leading. 3 Platoon will follow in reserve. All Platoons, if still unengaged, will advance west to occupy a line at OPs Diglett and Eevee, where we will support 2. Co. and react to enemy movements.

Specific Orders
1.1, 1.2, 1.3, and all support sections unless otherwise noted, move to Q9 to wait to cross. 1.3, detach your flamethrower team to accompany Battalion HQ to OP Abra. The Studebaker will tow the AT-gun to Q9 by skirting the trees immediately north of the deployment zone, carrying the company's HMGs. Kaislock and Davin Valkri, load your HMG sections into the truck. Tetrakarn, your sniper team will accompany Company command until you're detached with specific orders. Company command will follow the platoons to Q9 on foot. Platoons will march in column (Company in file), 1.1 first, then 1.2, then 1.3. Platoons 1.1 and 1.2 will face west and Platoon 1.3 will face north across the river. All platoon leaders will be responsible for spacing their men out to avoid clustering. If necessary for spacing, deploy a little further northwest of the marked objective but stay out of the approach of 2. Co. and armor elements.

The pace of the movement north will be the 'Move' command.

Grey I changed my orders, here is the final set. Please deploy 1st Company at the northern end of the deployment zone, in grids R13 and S13.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

No, 1st Company is staying at the river bank for this set of orders.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

What's the plan if the Germans don't care about being gamey and they shell our fords? Or will we deal with that later?

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

dtkozl posted:

That is why I am trying to get you guys to make sure you don't bunch up and only one platoon crosses at a time, so if it does happen we only lose a little bit. Those tanks won't be bothered by a little shelling and will get over in a flash so it is only the infantry we need to worry about.

Gotcha. 1 Company will start moving at full speed through the ford once this first 5 minutes passes and 2 Co and the armor go through, then.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

dtkozl posted:

The whole arty thing is always going to be a gamble. I am not not artying their one safe crossing because I am kind at heart, but because we are going to be using the mortars already for smoke and the other mission takes 16 minutes or so to call in and I want that one started as soon as I get to those woods. The thing is for us to effectively arty their ford I would have to use a relatively long mission, something over the course of 10 minutes or so of sporadic fire. So we are talking 26 minutes then to use it again. The cost of your average mission at this level is 100 to 250 points. To put that in perspective a platoon of soldiers is generally around 150 points; our rifle platoons with extras was 211, and the smgs were 159. A mortar call in was 143. So for those points to be "worth it," we would have to kill one platoon with one call in. Obviously there is all types of fuzzy math you can do, but generally I am of the opinion where I'd rather be shooting at something I can see rather than getting cute with something I suspect.

Now this goes into the artillery system of the game a bit deeper, there are two types of missions, pre-planned and normal. Pre-planned mission are those set up during setup and can come in immediately, after 5 minutes, or after 10 minutes. They are 100% on target, however they cannot be adjusted. Our smoke will be pre-planned. The benefit I get with waiting on those 76mm gun call in is the ability to adjust the mission at any time to deal with the changing battle situation. That way at least I know I will be doing some damage. It also does one other thing; I prefer to keep the initiative in a battle and therefore want him to react to my actions rather than the other way around. That is why I hope to have that mission ready to disrupt any build up of forces against our forces assaulting the train yard. Since there is only a few good spots of cover he can use, the target should be relatively easy to guess. We will see how it all shakes out!

Anyway, just wanted to give you guys an idea of my thought process on the matter, nothing more.

That's fine, I'm just worried that they'll pre-plan artillery on our fords and 1 Company will be caught as we cross.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

dublish posted:

If they pre-plan, we should still have a fair amount of warning. I can't remember if pre-planned barrages have spotting rounds, which would be a dead giveaway, but if any shells start falling around the ford we should have ample opportunity to stop any movements into the targeted area. Unless we're really unlucky with the timing and the bombardment starts at the very beginning of a turn, or if Grey Hunter decides that a bombardment isn't cause enough to ask us to revise our orders...

The biggest problem I can see with a bombardment is that it could delay our crossing significantly. Sending 4 tanks and a platoon of infantry over the other ford should allow us to keep them getting free reign over the north side of the map.

If no rounds are falling by the time the five minutes are up, i'll have the company Quick across the ford with 30 second delays between the platoons.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

The Merry Marauder posted:

This means that Tetrakarn never issued orders to the 1st Co sniper team - I assume tatankatonk will now handle this, either himself or delegating.

I've already included in my orders that that team simply accompany my Company HQ until I give him something to do.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

1st Company, we still have to wait for 2 Co. to pass fully before we start fording, so this turn's orders will probably be sitting tight, sorry for the lack of excitement. Also, I read the manual and apparently pre-planned fire missions take 5 minutes? So those falling rounds are probably the Germans gaming the ford :shepface:

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Woops, thanks Marauder, I meant there's a 5 minute minimum wait for a fire mission, yes.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

1st Company

Men, the pressures of battle have clearly unhinged some officers in our sister company. Please stay calm. We will get through this, and new orders will be posted shortly.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

2nd Company: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhGIFLWadEU

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Hey Battalion Command

I've given it a day's thought, and unless the initial barrage absolutely flattens the area or the 2. Co elements crossing the ford, I want 1st Company to push on through the bombardment into the village. I really don't think that saving a few potential casualties justifies halting half the battalion's manpower, especially when seizing territory is as important as it is right now. The plan would be to assemble 1. Co and give them a time delay schedule this turn, and then send them quick through the ford right after 2. Co gets across. Does that sound good?

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

An artillery tutorial would be really helpful. Also, dktotzl, do I have permission to take my company across the ford if the barrage turns out to be light? I just want feedback before ordering 1st Co through a (potentially) shelled area.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

1st Company

We're staying where we are for a turn while we assess the strength of the barrage and let 2. Co. finish crossing. Our mission for this turn will be to simply not die. Next turn we will cross, and the crossing order and schedule will be passed out to platoon commanders.

Our Truck carrying the HMG teams and our 76mm will cross the ford at Quick speed and move as close as possible to OP Bulbasaur. Platoon Commanders, your orders are to stay put. We will be crossing shortly so do not stray.

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 11, 2014

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

dublish posted:

Those are my guys you circled in the picture. Do you want me to pull back, or do you want company HQ to move there?

Woops, my bad. I'll adjust the picture, but your guys are fine sitting there. I just didn't want the Company HQ sitting so far ahead of everyone else. You're fine.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Order has been edited to fix that, Grey.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Herp, you have to give specific orders to specific units.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

1st Company

Each 1st Company Platoon needs to move QUICK to Ford Cerulean and ford it ASAP. 2nd Platoon, you'll be first to cross since you're the closest. 1st Platoon, you'll follow 20 seconds after 2nd. 3rd Platoon, you'll start 20 seconds after 1st. Company Command and the Company's attached Sniper team will follow 1st Platoon during the crossing. Truck, continue fording and move at QUICK speed to Bulbasaur. 3rd Platoon, detach your scout team and send it southwest of the IS-2s.

All Platoon leaders are responsible for mapping their route to the ford. You must keep close to the river and behind the ridge at Grid N9 for maximum safety. You also need to space your men out while they cross, so time delay your squads moving.

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jul 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Are the IS-2s eventually going to change positions? Those infantry contacts down south might be a problem if they don't, if they can sneak through the woods and put a panzerschreck through the engine compartment.

• Locked thread