Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Getting HMGs and AT to the forest was my initial thought too, maybe also a sharpshooter element for maximum defense. 1st Company seem good for the defensive duty, though perhaps some elements should be splintered off.

Dtkozl, I am very happy to serve the Motherland in charge of any company. :ussr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

We should consider getting solid AT elements into town too, just in case. We should also consider a shock strike through the treeline, it is unlikely the enemy would expect this. Securing the objective may be useful, but remember: We're here to kill some krauts, not prance around with "strategy".

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Sir, I'm confident with any force. As a Company level officer, I request whatever force you believe will be the most crucial in seizing the objective. Lemme at the Germans, lemme at 'em! I also have a vague idea of which way guns should point.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I'll take 2nd Company then. We'll take the Rail Station with ease.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

My company would like the assistance of the tanks for transportation to the objective. Also, I think we should take the centermost ford. The krauts won't expect it, we'll all get there safely.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Yep, it was me Asehujiko, I sent you the e-mail.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Company 2 Headquarters.

All of our assets are going into town with us. I will lead our glorious foot charge to Ford Pallet. Our troops need a good spacing between one another, and if the SMGs can, hop onto the T-34s, they so kindly offered to have us.

The MGs and AT assets will still enter via Ford Pallet. Maxims are in the Studebaker. When any troops are unmounted,move quick. Two SMG group should dismount early at OP Eevee in order to hold the two buildings on the road.

HQ will cross Pallet and hold up in OP Bulbasaur.

If available, smoke cover will go up at Ford Lavender courtesy of our mortar teams.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The Merry Marauder posted:

That's great. Hey, Herpicle, can uPen borrow one of your HMG teams for a ride?

Sounds great, this means the AT can get into the Studebaker.

Jaguars! posted:

Herpicle, I put some alternative positions for my gun on the roll20 map, but for the moment I plan to put it in Q-4, facing down the railroad. 2co HMG Teams, I need to know where you want to be dropped off. Talk to you tonight.

Alt Positions 1 and 3 seem to be the best in my opinion, Q-4 seems a tad too conservative for my tastes. I recommend we hold at Position 2 for some time, then we move to Position 1 or 3 as the situation dictates. The assistance of the Studebaker can make that movement possible.

Due to the AT being in the Studebaker, it should take Ford Pallet and deploy the AT immediately, the one HMG can hoof it to wherever it needs to be. Studebaker should remain on hand for the AT.

E:

Willie Tomg posted:

Yeah, that's my general idea. Also holding up at the ford will give my tank hunters time to glass Diglett and Evee while resting up some while you proceed. I am expecting a Fun Time at the ford while hoping that doesn't happen.

If everyone (or just Herp or dkotzl) want me to graph out a plan for the entire phase 1, I'll write up the bits past that, but I can't imagine we'll move up there, move the trucks, scouts, and 2 SMG platoons in five minutes without it being a clusterfucky everyone-for-themselves mad dash.

I don't believe we'll do all this in 5 minutes either, we just haven't yet got the measure of our troops. However, I hope we do not encounter the krauts until we set up at those positions. It would be much appreciated to have it all graphed out.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 4, 2014

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

dtkozl posted:

These are not my orders. SMGs are to take the rail station, the town is the rifles problem. Get your men in the objective and advance onto the train station. Use your MGs and anti tank gun to cover them.

Allow my men some time to organise before storming the rail station. Positions in the town momentarily will allow them to be fresh and ready for the fight at the station.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Jaguars! posted:

Herpicle, After reading what Dtkozl said, I've gone with position 3 because it'll support our company most directly as it moves to it's objectives. Moving fast on the roads is a calculated risk, I'm happy taking. Also reconsider the Q-4 position, it has good concealment, and sees straight down the railway, and sooner or later something will move along the rails.

Position 3 sounds fantastic.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

TehKeen posted:

(I'm not 100% sure we're in a good spot for this but it doesn't seem completely dumb!)

I think it is the best position we have available at this time. If we could get to OP Flygon or Graveller that would be better, but I'm expecting heavy kraut presence there. We'll be weeding them out, not seizing them first.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Because I'm pretty sure ze Germans can get something smashy into LoS of GRAVELER in five minutes.

This is the issue that is stopping me from ordering 2nd Company to storm the station without proper organisation. We should exercise extreme caution when engaging an unknown foe.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Just going to outline the greater strategy for seizing the rail station:

The troops who are dropped off by the tanks will prepare for a direct assault from the south-east of the station. The foot group will circle around via OP Charmander to OP Haunter. This will be the basis of the next round of orders. I don't want to move in until the support is in position, such as the HMGs or the AT gun. I dont want to suddenly lose every man I have thanks to an unprepared assault, as I do so often on my own.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Willie Tomg posted:

HerpicleOmnicron5 - Red Army Humanitarian of the Year, 1944

Hey, I just want as many soldiers as possible to be able to send unique pictures of their junk to Berlin. That is what we're doing with the station, right?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

dtkozl posted:

Herp no, the force at diglett will wait for the rest to arrive and the other two platoons will come through the objective. A rifle platoon will be at Charmander to give you support.

Are you sure about this? I don't want my troops to all get slaughtered by a single Kraut MG nest.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Comstar posted:

Won't you have a platoon of T34's backing you up?

Won't the krauts have a platoon of [insert german wunderweapon here]? We can not afford to piss away valuable assets, we don't get any reinforcements.

If this were CK2, I'd have the paranoid trait firing off events every few seconds, I don't want my company to be crushed to bits immediately!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

We'll organise the rest next order phase. I have no clue as to where our units will be, where we can expect the krauts to be and where the flashpoints will be. I'm going to seize the objective, but I will do it cautiously. My company, my rules.

Herp's Renegades do things their way, for them. Dtkozl, my guys WILL get there. Leave the micromanagement to the Company and Platoon level officers.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Lets just hope they're laughing with us and not at us.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Krysmphoenix posted:

:smith: How do I un-jam a tank?

What tank? I see no tank here, only the birth of a new glorious Soviet Naval asset! :ussr:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

uPen posted:

Once it hard-fails to immobilized it's permanently stuck. You're now an 85mm turret.

River turret, you surely mean. :colbert:

And just watch as that artillery annihilates all of our infantry.

By the way, what do the colours mean on the big new map we have?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The 2nd Company current objective will be to form up and prepare for seizing the rail station.

Until 1st Company get into town, we won't have any cover from a sudden German advance. I want any and all Tank Hunter squads to keep their eyes on both the Rail Station and the road. Hopefully our troops will be in place to get the station next turn.

HMGs, I want at least one of your groups to rush the Rail Station immediately and try to set up there. Its a bit of a gamble, but it may work, an early position there will be a big deal in defending the point. Most, if not all of our assets are heavily delayed. It is likely the krauts are suffering the same thing.

Good luck Renegades. Try not to get yourselves shot.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

TehKeen posted:

Well, at least it's a pretty view!!!

Requesting orders clarification from капитан Herp regarding what he'd like the MG that isn't rushing the town to be doing, given that line of sight is pretty iffy on this approach.

Just provide overwatch and cover. Its up to your discretion: Do you cover the town, or do you cover the station? Do whichever you believe best.

To all my men, feel free to ignore my orders. If you think you have something better, co-ordinate amongst yourselves and do it. I trust you all will make the right decisions for self-preservation.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

This is some Hitler in the Bunker stuff, Herpicle. You have one squad anywhere near the objective (and a tank hunter team on the E edge of it), the rest of 2nd platoon straggling across the L9 ford, one platoon spread across P6-7, and one in a woodline at P8. You yourself are nowhere near the objective.

Well, that's me not having a darn clue how to read the labelled map. But hey, I always like to think "maybe next turn".

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Willie Tomg posted:

Also, I gotta say this right now, that one squad? It's my platoon. The platoon that's supposed to be waiting on the south bank and covering the trucks and 2nd platoon. A squad/platoon that is very likely very very tired right now after a 200m dash in full kit the last of which was through neck-deep water.

I mean, it ain't the end of the world but holy moses this is not the time for the charge of the light ppsh brigade

Okay. If ya really want, just sit down. Find a nice place to dig in, prep for krauts. Enjoy yourselves with a nice picnic.

Or, get to the rail station and dig in at the objective. Won't be that much further for that one squad. Up to you.

Davin Valkri posted:

Boy, am I glad I'm not in 2nd Company :lol:

Just you watch Davin. 2nd Company will annihilate any German advance. You know how good I am at ruining those. :downs:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Jaguars! posted:

I feel like I've been over this several times. Company CO doesn't want me by the railway, so I'm trying to make the best of it. There are quite a few other big tubes around. :shrug:

Orders for 2-6 (76mm Gun) and 2-7(Studebaker)

Proceed as per the map. When the HMG units are dropped off, they proceed according to Tehkeen and Comstar's orders.

You'll be at the railway when our other assets are in play. Just ensure you have clear line of sight towards it to support our eventual charge.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Right, just follow on from the previous orders given by Brakeless.

Brakeless: Orders Were Here

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

dtkozl posted:

Also please note Companies 1 and 2 you now have access to the 82mm mortar call in. Should take between 8-10 minutes to call in, if you need a little tutorial on artillery missions please let me know and I will be happy to provide.

2nd Company will hold off on bombardment for now.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Well dang. Grey, I request that you deliver the Krauts a message: gently caress you.

I'm sure they'll understand.

Any and all squads near the objective must charge blindly into it. Nothing too complicated for now.

If I'm reading this right, 2nd Platoon is closest to the target, and will form wave one of the charge. Move slowly and defensively, we don't want your guys to charge into a mess all on their own with no support.

3rd Platoon on the other hand has some ground to make up. They need to haul rear end to get there (The Objective, the Rail Station.), and their angle is pretty much perfect for what I have in mind.

1st Platoon, you guys were the ones who got blasted by the arty right? I bet your morale is complete and utter shite right now, so just shack up by the ATG until you're back on your feet. Suicidal mooks have to be fanatical, not scared shitless.

Where you hole up in the Rail Station once you get there is up to you, 2nd and 3rd. We have no clue where the German forces are other than vague, possibly incorrect, reports. Expect armour to the southwest.

Happy huntin' Renegades.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jul 13, 2014

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

tatankatonk posted:

Herp, you have to give specific orders to specific units.

I'll edit stuff in whilst I'm thinking. Just giving folks a vague idea so they can get their own vague ideas together.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

uPen posted:

You really shouldn't deliver this message. They have no way of knowing if we're using that ford, what's using that ford or if they caught any infantry in the barrage. Please don't give out free information to the enemy, that's treasonous.

Well, think of it this way: They'll see it as either confirmation of the hit, or false information. If they see it as confirmation, they may focus their artillery and mortar assets on that ford, which would be disastrous for 1st Company. But if they see it as false information, they might switch their target immediately. Its a simple double bluff. It'll at least stir up a commotion in the opposing tent.

E: Dang it, was meaning to copy that into the other post. Sorry for the double post.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

dublish posted:

2nd Co 1st Plt took a beating. HQ/1st Squad took 6 casualties, 2nd Squad took at least another 6, and the Tank Hunter Team took 1. And most of them are still sitting in the ford. Herpicle gave 2st Plt orders to walk across the river under fire, so I think we can credit him with the highest kill count of the game so far. I'm sure Jaguars! must be thrilled to be taking over a platoon that's lost a third of its strength.

I didn't exactly order them to get blown to bits. I simply neglected to order them not to. Huzzah for keeping the status quo!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Willie Tomg posted:

The war will be over by christmas, too! :downs:

Can you clarify this at all, or do you prefer it as one of those things where if we don't know what we're doing then the enemy sure as hell won't? Either way, I'm down.

Just head straight for the Rail Station at the highest possible speed. Do whatever it takes to catch up to the other platoons. Not sure about using the Studebaker though, that might present itself as too easy a target for any enemy tank. Germans have some real good tanks. And guns. And troops.

But we have more! :whip:

tatankatonk posted:

Herpicle you need to give specific orders to specific units. Don't post vague orders while you formulate a plan and then re-edit them, don't post orders at all until you're ready to give them, and use a map if your orders are anything except moving more than a few men to already well-known points!

Calm down. Different people have different ways of doing things, I see no form layout that must be strictly adhered to. And besides, all of the orders that I at the company level am giving is charge straight into the big ol' objective. Its the Platoon Commander's job of filling in the blanks from there. Each platoon has its orders, and I'm not specifically ordering my AT gun or the Maxims to do anything other than what they are already doing. It is at their discretion to make any slight positional adjustments.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

uPen posted:

These orders make no sense and if I was in command of 2nd or 3rd platoon I would probably ignore you.

Your job is coordinate the 3 platoon commanders. 2nd platoon should charge (slowly and defensively charge?) at the objective as a wave. Should they leave fireteams behind, are they being supported by another platoon, should they wait for another platoon to be anywhere near them before charging into the objective?

3rd platoon has to get 'there' which is where, the Objective? Should they occupy the rail line, the rail station, maybe the moon? Their angle may be perfect for what you have in mind but nobody else knows what is on your mind because your only order is for all men to charge into the objective.

The focus is, and always has been, the objective. If each platoon goes with its full force at varying levels of speed, they'll even out eventually and arrive just in time. And yes, the only order is to charge into the objective for a reason: That's all we are doing. I thought this was rather simple. And as usual, its at their discretion where to occupy at first. Whoever gets there first gets first pick of the hole they can crawl into.

Look, none of my subordinates have complained yet. They are the only ones who I care about when it comes to understanding and executing my orders.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

This is very helpful indeed, thank you Jaguars. Next turn I'll be sure to include more detail and a map.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Oi, 2nd Company, don't let the rest of 1st Company beat you to the punch when it comes to finishing up orders. Show them your speed! Your energy! Your passion!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

RedLobster posted:

2nd company 2nd platoon.
Okay since charge slowly but not without support is a weird order my dudes are gonna hide in the trees and wait for the tank hunters, If you want me to do something else just say so and I'll edit my orders.

Eh, sounds good. If its just a two minute turn, this shouldn't be too bad.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

This is the kind of loyalty I expect to see in a trooper, you make Mother Russia proud! :ussr:

Willie Tomg posted:

Is there a reasonable way for me to check on the fatigue of my squads? That is nontrivial information affecting the next orders phase. :/

If in doubt, take a breather. When picking between a minute of movement and having a fresh group ready for action, I'd take the fresh group any day.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Good news Renegades: We have discovered how to use basic photographic editing to overlay a portion of reconnaissance imaging to display orders.

ALL PLATOONS: Take cover in and around the buildings designated. Try to make sure Tank Hunters and at least one very sneaky squad of SMGs are hiding inside.

2nd Platoon, I would like you to prioritise speed. Quick or Fast. It does not matter, your guys will get plenty of rest once they're inside the building. Try to make sure you have line of sight to the southwest with the tank hunter squad specifically.

3rd Platoon, I am well aware your troops may not arrive there in time. Take care, try to minimise line of sight with your path to the location. Your troops will be a more reactionary force to relieve either 1st or 2nd in the case of sudden destruction of either, or to react to a sudden Kraut assault from an unexpected angle, or to push a sudden advance to an unexpected opening. For these reasons, your platoon must be as well rested as possible.

1st Platoon, it is almost certain you won't get there in time. Take it slow, try to recover your troops' morale and lower their fatigue. If I'm not making a mistake, your guys are mostly dead, wounded or scared shitless anyway. Either way, the location on the map is your rally point. Try to get an angle through the center of the station, perhaps using the rail's little slopes as cover.

Support Units, I just want you to have eyes on the Rail Station. That HMG I ordered to move down there, still en route? Get to 2nd Platoon's position. Once it is in place, the other HMG can move up to the building furthest north to 2nd Platoon's.

Also, I'd like for all of you lot to place bets on where we'll make first contact with the enemy. Bonus points if your unit has the upper hand in this first contact. Try not to die yet. And take a few with you.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 16, 2014

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

TehKeen posted:

then set up for west-facing field of fire.

If I remember rightly, field of fire overrides any other contacts, and is in general lovely. That is, unless they substantially changed this in Red Thunder, or if I'm remembering things incorrectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

So, ah, why did we send the company with nothing heavier than an SMG to the objective with LoS and assign the rifle infantry to close combat in the village?

This just gave me an idea. How feasible is it to hide inside a building and ambush hostiles at extreme close range?

• Locked thread