Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

mcvey posted:

Does anyone remember if/when guns on the ground persisted from round to round? I swear that was a thing in early CS but it sounds so stupid. I remember 'gun running' weapons back to spawns but I might be mistaken.

Man, even the concept of buying ammo blows me away. Remember that poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Hey at least you got one mag with the gun for free! :downsgun:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

bpower posted:

I do run a lot. If someone starts screaming "B B B B B", which can mean anything from "I think I heard a foot step" to "5 with bomb", I just run to B. I should make my way there carefully and only run if Im sure it's safe, thats the real solution to my problem, yeah? gently caress all the the "omg why so slow" comments?

Just have to keep your teammates positions in your head and make reasonable guesses based on their actions/deaths/picks. If you see your mid get picked and hear smokes popping, you can probably expect a lot of heat there. If you see he pushed up into lower you're probably safe but should always check double just to be safe. If you see your cat AND mid pushing and still alive but your B man is down you know you can run with your knife out until you can see b entrance.

This is why there's a point where it's pretty difficult to advance in skill without having a consistent team that you always play with. You hit a point where you not only have to be really comfortable with your own skills but be able to KNOW with certainty how everyone on your team will react to different situations. By having that you can make much more sophisticated and effective plays.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

augustob posted:

Because? Do you mean despite?

Man it'd be nice to be able to see everyone's rank under their avatars or something because it'd prevent a ton of confusion.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

I AM BRAWW posted:

Reddit does this, which is probably why Reddit is better.

It's hosed up, but true.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Sigmund posted:

So when I play MM solo, I have an issue where most of the games I win, I will be at the bottom on the scoreboard. And most of the games i lose, I am at the top of the scoreboard.

I know its a bad habit to get into blaming your teammates, and that in all reality I am as bad as they are probably. However I do not think this is always the case.

I Have not been able to break out of silver league yet. Typically I will sit around silver elite master and silver elite. Majority of my games i have that go well, I can understand that the other team outperformed me, and I can learn something from it. When I have a game that does not go so well, I don't feel its because the other team was better, or that I could have made better decisions, it is because my teammates, don't have mics, refuse to communicate, don't follow any sort of plan, and don't do anything useful. The type of player that will buy a pp bizon every round, rush off by himself, spam poo poo into the mic if he has one, and start body blocking and trolling for half the match before they abandon.

Is it beneficial, to take a smurf and help boost out of silver league? when I queue with a friend of mine who bounces between nova 3 and 4, we get mainly decent and fun games, and I don't seem to have as many shithole teammates.

I genuinely want to get better and make and effort have more fun games. Any advice?

Now that everything is relatively stable again in my life I'm going to start a weekly twitch stream where I view demos and provide general instruction. If you're up for the heat send me a demo of one of your MM matches and I'll use it.

I'm thinking of doing it on Sunday afternoons for anyone who'd like to watch it live. It shouldn't matter too much though as I'll be trimming the streams and hosting them afterwards as well.

edit: In the future I'll also review high-level demos or maybe even pro matches so that newer/lower ranked players can see what they should be working towards.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Yeah I'm guessing the report system has largely worked because most non-goons I match up with are pretty good nowadays. I feel like there's a chance people who are regularly reported for non-bannable stuff are just corralled into matches with others like them.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Also: I'd like to apologize for my previous hand-wringing and announce that Black Gold is a Bad Map. Thanks for your time.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Sylink posted:

sorry black gold is a good map but I suppose since its not dust2 it is in fact bad

When global elites aren't even bothering to use smokes something is wrong. Hope this helps :patriot:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
On the same note Insertion is a crazy good map and we should have more like it. Get on it FMPONE

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Black Gold would be fine for deathmatching to work on your twitch reflexes but that's about it.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Mcvey used to MM back in the day and it's understandable that he's still wary of it considering what a shitshow it was.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Xenaero posted:

Black Gold is easy to play. The layout isn't clearly marked is its only issue, but it being wide open makes it as hard/easy to take areas as Nuke's outside area. You have to check corners in every map no matter what side you're on, so I don't understand that argument. I'm sorry you're not handfed map layouts that you're already used to. Every wide open map punishes you if you blindly push. I think it's pretty disgusting that you can safely rushdown most of the common maps' angles without much opposition.

The problem is the visual noise in tandem with the CTs having a tons of options for angles to hold that they can swap around in without exposing themselves. Any time you peek as a T you have a small chance of actually peeking the correct angle. Combine this with the fast swaps CTs can do and it becomes a real shitshow really fast. Smokes are rarely affective as the CTs can quickly grab another angle. Any time you push a site you can be surrounded / in a crossfire within mere seconds. It's like the entire map is made out of nuke's upper A site, which makes sense because every game I've played so far has gone at least 12-3 each half towards the CT team. Your only shot at winning the map should not come down to who wins t-side pistol.

I M O

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I still open comp cases just to support the pros

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

bpower posted:

You dont know what Im saying , but if I did say that dumb thing you imagined then I sound dumb?

My point was "helps" is often used in advertising ,and PR in general, to say all sorts of misleading things. Value could give 0.00001% of the proceeds to comps and still "keep their word".

Yeah they've already held tourneys with pretty significant purses funded by those cases. All I'm saying is you should take a break from posting.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Oh my god I think Slumpy, Systane and I just found the Vibes Messiah. Praise Him for He is risen!

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Release Notes for 7/23/2014

[UI]

- safezonex's min value can now go as low as 0.28 with triple monitor setups and will allow a min value of 0.475 with double monitor setups.

- Added convar sv_server_graphic which allows the server to specify a 360x60 px image file (must be 16k or smaller) in /csgo/ that will display in the spectator view. Supports PNG transparency.

- when the scoreboard is up, the radar will now switch to the square "overview" mode (disable with cl_radar_square_with_scoreboard, or in the Game Settings menu).

[MISC]

- Fixed a crash on round end/restart or player spawn if a player was parented to another entity that was cleaned up.

- Increased session communication buffer size to allow for up to 64-player sessions.

- Added experimental cpu_frequency_monitoring convar to detect thermal throttling. If you have CS:GO performance problems on Windows, add "+cpu_frequency_monitoring 2" to the CS:GO command line to see if CPU thermal throttling is an issue. If the displayed CPU frequency percentage drops below about 80-85% then you may have a problem with your CPU slowing down due to overheating. If it drops below 50-55% then you may have a serious problem. CPU overheating can be caused by overclocking, insufficient cooling, insufficient airflow, failing or dirty fans, or other causes. The CPU frequency results are displayed with cl_showfps or net_graph. For more detail see https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2715-YIPD-6873

- Added engine_no_focus_sleep convar (default value 50 milliseconds), which controls the amount of time the engine sleeps per frame when the game is not in focus.

- Fixed incorrect material property on some breakable doors and scaffold models

[SDK]

- Added a few more location "Place Names" for use by level designers

[CACHE]

- Added solidity to gates in b halls and ct garage to allow for nade creativity.

- Improved readability in B heaven.

- Improved readability by quad.

- Improved lighting by forklift.

- Improved prop-consistency by quad by adding more rigid edges.

- Increased visibility in vent.

- Fixed missing texture issues.

- Fixed various lighting issues.

- Fixed texture translation issues.

- Added clipping to prevent an exploit boost.

- Slightly increased vent lighting.

- Minor but important change to shadowing in some rooms.

[INSERTION]

- Added fences/fallen trees/cliffs around the map to reduce the ammount of invisible walls.

- Added a small window above the backdoor in the barn.

- Added a big rock next to "SeaRock".

- Minor gameplay tweaks.

- Optimized the villa (thanks to Glitchvid).

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

down with slavery posted:

Thanks for the Wikipedia article there champ

Protip, open up the game and look around. It's not cryengine or unreal3. It's still very GPU bound it's just that modern desktop hardware(cpu and gpu for that matter) can overcome that pretty easily (not on mobile though, try playing CS on a laptop)- same goes for the CPU as well.

Counter-strike A. isn't CPU-bound in any sense of the word B. runs really well and people who bitch about performance just have pretty poor perspective

"Counter-strike is CPU bound" is one of those things I just see parroted by people who have no idea what they are talking about.

http://www.hltv.org/forum/460082-fps-in-csgo-cpu-vs-gpu

Valve has also come out several times saying that the CPU will be the bottleneck for any games on the source engine. Keep in mind that they put a massive effort into multi-threading the source engine back in the HL2 days rather than upgrading their rendering engine.

augustob posted:

Why CS:GO would be CPU-bound is beyond me. Skyrim was a CPU-bound game because it had all sorts of AI going on, but the bot-like creatures running around in dust2 are 100% human controlled.

Anyways I'm pretty sure the answer to this question is that their physics engine is still calculated on the CPU which is really really expensive computationally-wise. That and the measurements for player movement/actions is much more precise compared to other FPS games, also expensive.

Necc0 fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 24, 2014

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

down with slavery posted:

no no no no no aren't you a computer science major...? mindless spitballing like this is how these stupid rumors get started. I eagerly await the next relevant google result you find for "counter-strike fps cpu"
:shrug: They built the foundation over a decade ago and I've seen no evidence that they've switched their physics rendering over. Also no one is saying that the source engine is better or worse it's just that they put much more emphasis on things that require CPU processing, resulting in the game being much more sensitive to CPU performance rather than GPU.

Which is why they're adding console commands to monitor the CPU. Which is why we're talking about this. (???)

Have you not read any of their synopsis on those hardware surveys they do? There's a reason for all of this.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKDeiMD9a7w

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

mcvey posted:

I'm glad the requirements to get overwatch are so high.

I still haven't gotten it so they must be doing something right

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Go BEEFY or Go Home :smug: :pcgaming:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Back in the 1.6 days just installing custom gun skins would make me 'play better'. It's all in your head. Achieve vibes. Don't hold back.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
The guy who shows up to motorcycle classes in full gear and throttles himself into a wall in the first 30 minutes

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Coleman posted:

So, as of today, I have bought 83 keys for CS:GO, totaling $206.67.

Today is the day I make my money back.

(factory new, also)

You can do this the easy way and just give it to me instead of some random scammer. That way you'll be able to come visit it from time to time :)

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Coleman posted:

I didn't want you guys to all worry, so I figured I'd share the results.

Here's what I got for it:

The market only says 5 cents, but it's cool, because the Russian that traded me for it said it's worth "at least 1000 of your moneys".

So basically, enjoy your CS poverty, nerds. I'm CS rich now.

Congratulations :)

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Is the p2000 even real? Inquiring minds wish to know.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Alright the 'heh good job Caring more than I do, loser' poo poo got old the first time it was said by some middle school pubstar. We're better than this, goons.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
What's your sub.io rank, scrub?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Ever since The Great Correction it's been my goal to climb back to DMG. Now that I'm there I'm happy. It's as easy as that. Eagle would be nice but eh. :effort:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Skeleton King posted:

I haven't played GO for a few months now and when I come back my rank is gone. I was Master Guardian II, but I played only one game yesterday and it ranked me to Master Guardian Elite. I guess what my question is once the ranking system 'removes' your rank does it place you with players at the skill level you were playing at but only calculate what rank you'll get based on that new, singulat game or was I already close to ranking up anyway and it just calculated based on history as usual and my rank was just invisible for no real reason?

You were already close anyways. My personal theory for why they 'expire' your rank is due to some people dropping out of MM completely when they play on private servers (goonmen) or join something like ESEA. When you do that there's a chance you'll be significantly better so may as well hide your rank for a little bit just to avoid frustrating other players as your old rank is no longer accurate.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

I stopped MM for a few months, came back, won my placement match and was placed 1 rank lower. Explain.

It ranked you up by accident before and was just hoping you wouldn't notice.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Gentlemen, can anyone tell me what's the simplest way to extract the audio files used by CS:GO, preferably as .wavs or .mp3s?

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/GCFScape

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Someone invite my smurf into the Deag Group thanks

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Daeno posted:

drat you guys broke him.

1:23:10 Round 22 aka the meltdown round was my favourite

oh my god this is beautiful

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
If you want to see a cocky nova 4 pubstar blame his team for everything while sipping a super-size McDonalds soda and puffing on a hookah then this is the poo poo for you

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Daeno posted:

drat you guys broke him.

1:23:10 Round 22 aka the meltdown round was my favourite

Added this to the OP next to the knife victory on train

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Khorne posted:

He needs to push tab now and then. It would make him better instantly.

So would not calling ogl-tier strategies, hitting shots, and not trying to use slow shooting scoped weapons from poor positions against guys you know are deagling.

The skill gap between how he actually plays and how he thinks he plays adds such a rich flavor to what would otherwise be a pretty standard-issue trolling

Literally everything he does is wrong and he's SO MAD at everyone else for it

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Speaking of twitch I'd like to do a review-stream tonight and I still need submissions from bad players. I'll be constructive, I promise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Goofballs posted:

What does that mean?

Necc0 posted:

Now that everything is relatively stable again in my life I'm going to start a weekly twitch stream where I view demos and provide general instruction. If you're up for the heat send me a demo of one of your MM matches and I'll use it.

I'm thinking of doing it on Sunday afternoons for anyone who'd like to watch it live. It shouldn't matter too much though as I'll be trimming the streams and hosting them afterwards as well.

edit: In the future I'll also review high-level demos or maybe even pro matches so that newer/lower ranked players can see what they should be working towards.

• Locked thread