Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Can't see image. Don't leech from enworld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

P.d0t posted:

Basically the metal-detector scene from The Matrix.

This seems slightly more appropriate

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Underwhelmed posted:

Common sense? No! I must wring out and cheese every rule, no matter what its intention, so I can be the most powerful character by technicality possible.

Edit: I say this, because I have had players over the years try and stack bonuses that shouldn't be stackable, when the rules were ambiguous like this.

Especially with Rules Heavy systems like D&D where tugging on one frayed end leads to the whole system unwraveleing. Not that it isn't possible with Rules Light systems, but there's less expectation for it to be so rigid and exact. With something so rigid as D&D, it has to be written akin to MtG cards where every effect is clear and consistent, even if it may sound a bit wordy or unnatural so as to prevent turning tiny loopholes into great gaping anuses.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Much of the contention I've seen with 4e was about how the abilities and powers up to entire classes looked or felt too samey, though I think that may be as a result of the mechanical transparency of everything where two things that are technically and effectively different appear similar or identical.

Unfortunately, I've not had much live play with 4e to accurately make such assessments given my swearing off of most things D&D and d20.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

It is true, though, that they both aren't getting hung up on fannish minutiae to a pathological degree and that the vast, vast majority of their business isn't coming from comics grognards but from a much broader moviegoing audience. Yeah, the comics still exist and get printed, but the comics aren't making billions of dollars a year and Marvel has to know this.

In a certain way, Marvel is treating their properties as a business would and using them to a degree that would generate the most profit. That is, attracting mainstream audiences and the general public with products that appeal to them. Hasbro does the same thing with their licenses like Transformers and MLP. Even the MTG part of Wizards has tried to expand their base by appealing to more casual players through comics and Duels of the Planeswalkers.

D&D still needs to catch up and stop focusing on the grog crowd. That's not to say they can't appeal to them, but the amount of money from new blood will almost always outweigh the money coming from the die-hards that would get alienated by the casual fans. Unfortunately, the decision makers at D&D are too afraid of the risks in alienation to see the gains in appealing to mainstream and casual players. There's also the curious notion that they must focus on only one edition. I've never understood that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

eth0.n posted:

Games are popular. Video games, card games, board games, they're all doing well. What's instrumental is that they're all focused on providing good gameplay first.

RPGs are, frankly, bad at gameplay. Feel and tradition get in the way, and flaws are excused with "GM can fix it". Problem is, GM-fiat and arbitrary GM-fixes (like fudging dice, or "going easy" during combat) kill gameplay. Even a good RPG like Dungeon World has relatively little gameplay, being so GM-fiat-heavy. And Fiasco's barely a game at all, being more an inspiration-engine for mostly freeform roleplaying. 4E and WHFRP3E tried, but they've still got dumb bullshit weighing them down, and RPGs have such a lousy reputation, they were probably doomed to fail to breakthrough to the mainstream no matter what.

I'm not sure what the answer is. As long as there's an expectation that you can do anything, not just what's spelled out in the rules, there will be GM-fiat that bypasses and interferes with gameplay. And that expectation is the heart of tabletop RPGs.

I wonder if the 80s heyday of RPGs was mostly about the gameplay they offered (that video games now provide in a mostly superior form), instead of the collaborative storytelling that now differentiates the tabletop niche.

A lot of what's done in video games now has supplanted a lot of what TTRPGs, Board Games, Tactical Warfare Game and so on tried to do. Ostensibly, to try an innovate in the market, TTRPGs should take advantage of this new technology and use it to its advantage. 4e is probably the perfect game in a dungeon crawl to implement such ideas given how everything is so cleanly codified. It does make the game feel more like a video game, but in a sense, that's what video games were based on already: electronic implementations of things that existed in reality. The only difference now is the technology is better and more people can come to the table at the same time.

It's easy to say TTRPGs are a niche hobby, but there are ways to make it less so. Ultra simplified systems being more readily available or masked in the guise of being a board game or a party game is part of it. Necessitating prebuilt scenarios having around 4 hours worth of playtime per session is another (and it's probably a huge limiting factor). One important thing that is brought up is the "feel" and that largely keys into both "What is expected from an RPG?" and "What defines an RPG?" GM-fiat is implied to be essential to an RPG, but at the same time, it's not really in the definition and it may not be in the expectations of certain players, depending on their point of entry.

The most obvious part of the equation is the need for monetary investment into the whole thing. As of right now, there is not enough money in TTRPGs to invest in things like market research or general marketing or licensed online play. D&D is probably the game in the best position to do some of these things (and they may have done some of it), but so long as the big players squander money in keeping the status quo, the hobby as a whole will probably never develop beyond the niche it carved.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Generic Octopus posted:

Ooooooh right, that. Our dm didn't even bother with it because all it did was give you advantage on a roll iirc. When I think of roleplay mechanics I think of stuff like FATE where it's pretty integral, not "hey, because you stayed in character, roll twice next time."

Inspiration sounds a bit like Exalted's stunting mechanics I'm that the reward its somewhat significant but somewhat independent of everything

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

but you won't be doing it anyway for Kobolds.

Why wouldn't you be doing it for Kobolds?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
5e is good in that it is better than some of the editions that came before it in at least some way. However, beyond that, it falls flat when trying to measure up to other qualities.

MonsterEnvy posted:

On this note they stated they plan on focusing more on quality adventures then splats. As they don't want to over saturate the market. It showed a decent amount of insight on their part.

They (mostly Mearles) said a lot of things. That doesn't mean they will actually do them.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

seebs posted:

Pretty much this. So, for instance, if you decide to just charge off after something way bigger than you, you're likely to get smacked, because that's what would happen, etc.

And in that context, the answer to "how many skeletons are there" depends on where you are and what makes sense given the world's established traits.

Note also, I don't see anything saying you can point at someplace that you think there are probably bones underground, I think you actually have to point to bones.

BRB, Off to genocide some Orcs, Goblins, monstrous humanoids, etc.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So we've talked about skeletons as the cornerstone of a society, but what about skeletons as the core components of a computer
http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Deep_Rot

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Could you stop with the skeletons at this point it's starting to get really annoying.

Or you could go to another board/forum/plane of existence. I'm sure /tg/ can get some really good discussion in before getting derailed by edition warring and bait.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

dichloroisocyanuric posted:

With everything bad about the book... it's just not really that bad, and I do prefer it to the alternatives I was looking at.
Fantasycraft too crunchy, Dungeon World not crunchy enough?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

sarmhan posted:

A game that is balanced and fun? The two are not mutually exclusive - the opposite really, as imbalances will cause frustration with the game.

Fun is a subjective description. Balanced is an objective description. As it is a subjective opinion, being fun doesn't mean much beyond being able to sell it. The argument about "fun" as a measure of quality also occurs in video game circles.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ascendance posted:

4e kind of ignores one of the best features of BECMI - that maybe, after a certain point, your character might want to do something other than go into dungeons and look for bigger and bigger numbers.

Why should there need to be mechanics for not going out and adventuring when 75% to 90% of the game previously focused on that?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The way 4e words its abilities and lays everything out mechanically is a peek behind the veil of fluff and cruft. But a lot of people don't like to see how their hot dogs are made and such a thing happened with 4e. In an effort to make the best hot dog, they thought it was a good idea to show people the meat pullers and the protein extruders and the fat renderers so as to enhance the experience and show how neat and tidy and clean everything is. Sadly, this was not the case. NEXT returns to hiding behind the curtain and the vermin and entrails and other waste got to seep back since only the people who truly cared took a look at how their meat was made. Everyone else got to go back to eating their hot dogs, blissfully unaware of what things went into making it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Okay, so I disagree with you on my perception of D&D and you get so angry that you crack an insult about me being anti-Semitic.

Against my better judgement I'll engage with what you've said anyway. Nobody forced me to make a DPS spreadsheet, but it was my perception when I played that that would be the best way to get the most out of my character because of the way the game played. I stopped because I don't want to engage with that feeling.

I don't feel the same way about 5e as cited by the fact that I was most attracted by the warlock telepathy ability.

I agree and if you really want to play a fighter that must suck. But I was hoping to show why someone might enjoy 3.5 or 5 more than 4 despite issues of balance.

Well it's easier to do the dps spreadsheet since the math is laid out in a more perceptible way so for people with a desire to optimize, 4e is easier to do it with. The same can be done with 3 and 5, but the barrier to do so is a bit higher than 4's.

It wouldn't take too much to peel back the skin of 5 and make it look like 4 and the likely result is the turning off of people for the same reasons: it just doesn't feel right or it's not as evocative. The opposite could be done too and it'd probably go over swimmingly

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Honestly? I don't know what those are, would have to learn the systems, convince everyone to play them and I really enjoy 3.5 and am enjoy 5e right now. I feel like D&D is giving me what I want out of an RPG

Literally, the sunk costs fallacy.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kaizer88 posted:

I have to agree with that. When you're past 9th level, your pc's power levels start becoming more like some episode of DBZ. Players of that level could slaughter whole legions of town guards. I think 5th edition is at least better with regards to the power difference between really high level things and 1st level schlubs ; Ac doesn't go much higher than 20, and proficiency bonuses don't go higher than 6. You'd still get the ridiculous HP bloat though.

Also monsters still scale in check difficulty while PC defenses don't necessarily scale that high making them nigh useless. HP is supposed to go up, however, if Damage does. On the other hand, non-damaging methods to stop enemies or end encounters also increase in number making HP irrelevant in that case.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
We can easily boil this down to: Are the differences between monsters of an equivalent CR equitable in some fashion? I field this to MonsterEnvy and other NEXT defenders since it seems like, for example, the Centaur is just plain more threatening when compared to the Ogre.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ascendance posted:

well, you've described old school play in a mean spirited, but not inaccurate nutshell.

Edit: Which, by the way, may be why it works a little better for some people, and the types of games they want to run.

To be fair, that probably the way to play most editions of D&D and get the most mileage out of it with the least amount of unnecessary effort, whinging, or rules lawyering.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

It should be noted that 5e is selling really well right now. According to Mearls this has been WotC D&D's most successful launch having outdone both 4e and 3e in launch sales. Though he admits that the upcoming year matters a lot more then a good launch.

Are there actual figures or do we take his word for it and assume he's not talking out of his rear end?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

friendlyfire posted:

It is clear that Wizards chose to pursue a new edition that is decidedly unlike 4e. I am at a loss to explain this decision, unless it is that they felt that too many people were escaping to Pathfinder and other retro-clones. PF may or may not have outsold 4e, but it is obvious that it did well enough to threaten it.

Mike Mearls took over 4e and he decided it was time for a change and got it approved. That's probably the long and the short of it.

As far as the maths arguments are concerned, it's easier to unbalance balanced stats than to balance unbalanced ones. Starting with a stable foundation allows it to be nudged by people who (presumably) know what they're doing into getting a wider range of results, while providing a narrower one for GMs first running the game or those without enough experience to nudge numbers without accidentally TPKing the party.

friendlyfire posted:

I realize that chart is just a norm to base things around, but I really like the idea of the math being more "spikey" at certain levels than others, of this monster's super-dangerous attacks being balanced by its very poor defenses, of players really kicking rear end at 5th level because fireball rule until you start fighting encounters at 7th level. I dunno. Things being so mathematically predictable feels bland and un-magical to me. I realize this triggers goons' asperger's, but it's how I feel.

This very much sounds like an argument for trying to have a game just like the one you had when you were 12. Alternatively, it's a case where you and your group are of the type that don't actually care what's going on as long as there's lots of big explosions and ridiculous outcomes occurring.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Remember, after the three years of open playtests, NEXT went through the math wringer before being released so you know everything is probably as it should be

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Once design starts getting into the nuts and bolts and exits the realm of "feels right," lots of mechanics start feeling familiar or looking similar.
Ex: Between a leech, being on fire or being poisoned, all of these are or can be represented by damage over time. All of these operate on a similar logic of something continuously damaging the health or vitality of the affected. Depending on the number of dimensions of vitality representation, different stats may be affected independently or in conjunction. This also allows differentiation between the different conditions. Once a game system is reduced to its most simplest forms, it all looks the same, whether it's Pokemon, WoW, WoD or D&D.

It's funny how many complaints about how being like a video game get levied even though the history of design has video games originally appropriating tabletop mechanics and computing them. While video games have evolved over time (for various reasons) tabletop games have as well, but not to the same degree.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I think if there's one thing I would never like to see in D&D, it's facing.

Facing is an upkeep thing that only works if everyone involved likes fiddly upkeeps or a computer does it for everyone.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Malthusian posted:

I guess a monster that will either kill a PC in one shot or die itself to a single hit averages out to being a balanced encounter.

Well it averages out to a monster that's built like a tank, but hits like a feather. So there's obviously complete parity there

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Ignoring the damage dice things, a lot of those rules would be interesting to implement into Dungeon World

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

P.d0t posted:

Turn this the other way around: what if you split DEX up? Like, DEX always seemed like a manual thing to me, and agility more of a bodily thing (although your average dictionary would probably disagree, but whatever).
Make DEX do weapon stuff and sleight of hand and thievery, make Agility do Acrobatics and Initiative and Armor bonuses and poo poo.

Not saying you can't combine STR+CON, but..

Combine Strength and Agility making it all about general athletics

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Gerdalti posted:

I know there's a lot of Next hate around, but I'd like to offer a simple opinion to the contrary.

Next has a very low barrier of entry. I hadn't played D&D in nearly 20 years, and getting back into it with Next has been incredibly easy, and a lot of fun. Some of the rules are a little convoluted, but the whole thing is actually pretty well written and easy to get into. As a relative new-comer to the whole scene, I have no previous like or dislike for anyone in the community, so that doesn't bias my opinion at all.

I won't deny that other versions (3.5, PF and 4) may offer up something better, but honestly, 5e is a lot of fun.

Is it fun because of the rules or in spite of the rules?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Thanks for the responses guys; as someone who hasn't played D&D before, i simply don't understand some of the hate fifth edition has in the thread.

If the RPG market was a menu, 5e would be twice warmed over ham. It tastes fine and won't make you sick, but also on the menu are a slew of other new and fresh dishes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Oh look out! Some angry Internet nerd with Cheeto fingers is so mad at me they spent :10bux: of their allowance to give me a red title. Sure showed me! :v:

If you think melee characters are useless since they can't force monsters to attack them exclusively because you and your group are too dumb to figure out soft tanking tactics like having ranged players stand far enough back that the monster has to waste it's entire turn moving and eating AOOs or your combats are all taking place in featureless 50' by 50' rooms please go ahead. Clearly nothing I could say will convince you otherwise.

If you weren't aware, in 5e, pcs only have one AoO they can use between their turns so if the DM is playing smart, they'll send one enemy in to draw AoOs ands the rest get to rush past unscathed. If the wizard is far right that the enemy can't get to them in one turn (barring centaurs and the like who'll charge and gently caress up anything squishy they run into), them it's likely that they're also too far to actually get off spells against them. (I don't actually have the 5e rules and I don't care too look it up to check the ranges on Wizard spells)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Mearls just seems like a really, really terrible person to game with. As a DM he's dull, out of touch and obsessed with walls and WIS checks, as a player, he did very little prep and brought a totally off-spec and out-of-theme character and proceeded to 'hilariously' dominate the gameplay with his ridiculously dickish character.

It's a real shame he's in charge, basically.

I imagine those games were also partially setup to spotlight him and the other players and the DM were to go along with it or else they'd find someone else to put in the role and they wouldn't get to be on the internet with the great Mike Mearls.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Quantumfate posted:

Players walking around with a ton of wands that they just zap themselves seems like a poor example. If your players really want to walk around with wands and make all those checks to heal- why say no, you can't? There's still an idea and feeling of expenditure when it comes to consumables. Especially as that often means forfeiting an action within combat.

For a mere 750g, an entire party can pretty much suffice for healing with the wand and need not worry about their HP in a given encounter up to their Max. Even if they hit 1, as long as there's not another encounter waiting for them immediately after, they can spend a few minutes with the wand and be back to peak HP. While PCs that start at first level might have a problem with this while budgeting their other equipment, it gets progressively easier if they start at a higher level or cut back a little on gear.

No one's going to be healing in combat. Almost never. It's a waste of an action that could be better spent helping kill an enemy or making it harder for an enemy to hit an ally. All of this healing is done between encounters and takes up the space of a few minutes in game given that using the wand takes 6 seconds per cast.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Also, when doing ruler measurements, does that mean measurement is, on the figures, center to center, edge to any edge, corresponding edge to corresponding edge, etc. I'm not familiar with miniatures games where this is far more common and codified. I'm an American and I can't tell how many inches something is by looking at it within a 1 inch margin of error.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

Right which is what the measuring stick is for. The grid seems great until all these ridiculous edge cases of schroedinger lightning bolts.

That's only because the rules governing them is super lovely.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

You can't whip out a ruler in the Theatre of the MIIIIND though. But you may have meant playing on a map with a tape - which I don;t have a particular problem with, personally. All told I prefer a grid (hex, ideally) but if the game is measured, I'll happily measure. What bothers me is when the rules are semi-grid-semi-not (everything in 5' increments, creatures occupying the whole of 5' increment spaces, etc etc) without actually writing grid rules. If you're going to write a rulers-and-tapes game fine, write one. If you're going to write a grid game, write one. If you're going to write an abstracted game, write one. But please for goodness' sake don't write what you're pretending is an abstract game, only with measured distances, and gridded rules for how to use them.

The schroedinger lightning bolts are only lovely because the rule is badly written to be fair. Though 'hits everything in a straight line from X to Y' is not the easiest thing to do on a grid.

Line of Sight rules are still kind of buggy for any grid based games, but those are usually so rare or trivial in TRPGs, it doesn't matter.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
One of the things that got me a soured on D&D and Path is Vancian casting. Compared to any mainstream depiction of magic, it seems utterly unintuitive and limiting.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

I got asked whether I thought Fighter or Rogue was more powerful. That was a sad thing to consider.

Rogues at least get skills to play with and get some utility out of that iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

Probably because Mearls doesn't like 4e and doesn't want people thinking of the current D&D as something he doesn't like.

Until high fantasy adventure becomes vogue again (like when the LotR movies first came out), Wizards will probably keep people on like Mearls to keep D&D warm. Once the trend swings back around, they'll probably try to squeeze something out of it again like a movie or video game