Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Speed factor rules are cumbersome and boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

treeboy posted:

i don't see anything in the stat block about auto-saves per day. Is that a generic rule for all monsters, did they axe it?
The Lich and others have it as a special ability.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Who cares about the gender paragraph? It's there, it's tiny, it's fine.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

Fighter maneuvers are cool, just like a wizard that got advanced spell slots but could only ever prepare level one spells such that all they ever got was the ability to fling more magic missiles at once would be cool.

A wizard with a smaller spell list where spells scale might actually be cool

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

Have you read the .pdf? That's how it works. Magic missile is a 1st level spell that shoots three forcebolts. If you spend a 2nd level slot to cast it, it shoots four forcebolts instead. Cast it with a 9th level spell and it shoots ten bolts.

At the same time, though, there are actually spells so powerful or dramatic in effect that they need a minimum level spell slot to work at all. There's no 1st level fireball or 8th level time stop, for instance. So, not only can the wizard fire off numerically enhanced versions of his old tricks, but he steadily learns new tricks.

Meanwhile, there are no high level maneuvers. The only difference between a level 20 fighter's capabilities and a level 3 fighter's capabilities are the frequency and intensity of the manuevers - there's no qualitative scaling of any kind. So, it's like a wizard who got higher-level spell slots, but never learned higher level spells to cast with them.

It's really easy to imagine ways to fix this, even ways that would be consistent with the existing language/power schemes - like, maybe if you spend two dice on a maneuver, or spend dice of a certain size on that maneuver, the maneuver sprouts some new property - but, welllll.

Yeah, i meant if you removed the high level spells and make it more like the maneuver list as it stands.

I mean, is the small maneuver list boring in a vacuum, or is it only boring next to the never ending smorgasbord of poo poo in the spell list?

And yeah what you describe also sounds like a reasonable solution

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

LFK posted:

Half way between A and B.

It's not boring, and you do get new additions, but your 15th level Maneuvers are, by definition and all practicality, the ones you wanted least. You had the entire pool in front of you, so of course you grabbed the best/coolest/most "you" maneuvers at level 3, then your runners-up at level 7, then the "yeah, I could use that" at 10, and by level 15 you're down to "sure, why not." There's never anything that you're thirsty for. There's no "oh, sweet loving Jesus, at level 15 I can get Own the Battlefield, 4 dice, all my allies get to make an attack as a reaction and add 4d10 damage! :fap:"

Yeah, great point, I didn't think of this.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Ahahahahahha, What's the point of even having non-combat skills if the wizard is guaranteed to be the best at all of them?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

lol at it's total immunity to fighters

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

It's worth dollar sign XP, though! Think of the haul!

is that a placeholder or what

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

i really hate how all of the preist and wizard spells are lumped together in a giant alphabetical list. they don't even have page reference numbers on the master list. absolutely shoddy work.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

DalaranJ posted:

Yo, is there any chance you could take the modicum of effort needed to not literally repeat yourself in a single post?

yeah, can you please make some shitfucking effort when copy/pasting tweets for me to read? gently caress

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Countblanc posted:

Isn't HP not an abstraction in 5e? Like, I'm pretty sure it's literally how many liters of blood/unbroken bones/attached limbs you have. I thought that was the rationale for no martial healing; "You can't yell someone's blood back in their body," and whatnot.

That's stupid. Of course HP is an abstraction. Also there is Martial Healing in 5e.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I forgot about healing surges. Really elegant design, it's a shame it's gone.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Aren't time stop and call meteors both 9th level? I thought wizards only ever get one 9th level spell slot?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Eh I think TOTM shouldn't rely on the DMdeciding on indistinct rule boundaries. It's absolutely possible to do TOTM with precision, you just need to accept a certain level of abstraction. 13th age does a great job abstracting positioning. Things like area affect spell effects are perfectly precise in something like Wizardry, where monsters are divided into groups who move together. One AOE = one group. Simple, no need to argue with the DM.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

One quick breaking of my goal to not post here until August 8th. (Not to argue however)

The game is not D&D next. It's just D&D, D&D 5e or 5e. It was officially stated that next was the name of the playtest not the product.

Yes this is minor and rather pointless but because I know the threads name is incorrect it just bugs me. Now Goodbye

lol what do you care nerd

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

5e is exactly what it needs to be. Newbies hated 4e and love 5e. Sorry grognards.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

Seriously.

You're allowed to say 'you search the pile of garbage REALLY well, and you are able to determine that it is, in fact, a pile of loving garbage'.

If you're feeling particularly kind, he finds a bottle he can return to the glassblower for a deposit or something.

The thing the guy did with the greataxe was way better and you guys are being curmudgeons.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/1030256624210915328

the idea that being a deliberately incomplete, deliberately vague game is a positive trait is something I don't think I'll ever empathize with

That's a pretty far out interpretation of what he's saying but I guess you're dug in at this stage. Edition wars forever.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

It kind of makes sense if you were jury rigging ships into a formal system like a video game or something but who the hell wants grafted together frankenstein rules like that for a tabletop game?

What kind of DM actually needs it spelled out that ships are immune to poison and blindness?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Our campaign is up to level 8. The group used to play 3.5.

5e is so, so much better. No more super druids or clerics, they rely on the fighters and the group works together a whole lot more. Good game.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Our casters don’t seem to have any hard save or suck spells yet. Maybe 4th level? Even then max level wizards only get a few high level slots/day though.

You’re very likely right. High level dnd always blows. Mid level seems excellent.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Section Z posted:

I'm glad a friend of mine has stopped his unironic "But only so many spell slots! Swing all day long!" comments after closer reading of class features.

Because so many stick to their cliche guns even when you remind them "Wizards in 5th ed unlock INFINITY magic missile, infinity hold person. Or whatever you picked as your infinity 1st and 2nd level spell you select on rest" Doubling down with "Fighters can swing their sword FOUR times!" even though that kicks in at level 20, while access to "I feel like infinity charm person today" is at lv 18 :v:

Magic Missile is only (1d4+1) * 3 damage when cast from a 1st level slot though. Assuming you can't cast your mastered spell from a higher slot (which would be insane).

Pretty useless at high levels.

E: the rulebook says you can only cast mastered spells at their lowest level. So yeah. Not that powerful.

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 15, 2018

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Section Z posted:

I had the feeling you'd go for "1st level magic missile only is useless!", because as everyone knows infinity charm person is oh so useless at 1st slot level. (And that waste of print that is the Shield spell, nobody would want to cast THAT infinity times).

You're the one who specifically said "Infinity magic missile", buddy.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Section Z posted:

And ALSO Charm person in the quoted post :v:

Which is why I get a laugh every time people play the "But it's ONLY 1st (and 2nd, you get one of those too )slot levels! Not that powerful!" card.

Ok well you may not want to weaken your legitimate point by preceding it with an illegimate one.

Infinite charm person is obviously stupid, especially since it doesn't take concentration, for some stupid reason.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Even at level 1, it flies unerringly for hundreds of feet and almost nothing is immune to them. It's only lovely compared to other spells. It would be above the curve if it was a martial skill.

Nope. Range is 120 feet.

E: A longbow has a range of 150/600 feet and a fighter at that level can shoot it three times, for more damage. I don't see how that's above the curve.

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 15, 2018

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

kingcom posted:

Real talk, how often are you getting into fights that are >120 feet away?

I dunno man. That poster said that it flies "hundreds of feet" and suggested that level 1 magic missile is competitive with fighter attacks at level 18. I took it seriously, found it interesting, and looked it up. Turns out they're wrong.

I don't want to go further down this edition wars rabbit hole and become a partisan here. I'm just discussing specifics.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

kingcom posted:

What are you talking about lol, we are purely talking 5e here at the moment? And idk firing a magic missile that longer than field of almost any battle you're going to actually play in seems pretty fine. Guess you read that a bit literally but sure.

Magic missile pops you for 3d4+3 damage auto hit, a fighter bow 3 shot doing 3d8+15 (being generous and assuming you've gone for the max 20 dex), Plus you're rolling 1d20+11 to hit on each attack, meaning you're taking what, 40% change to miss on each of those for the enemies you're fighting around at point. That's a higher raw output for the fighter but doesn't really reflect how useful force damage is to ignore a lot of the non-magic resistances and immunity that the arrows face plus you're looking at all the nice effects you can trigger from 'being hit and taking damage', things like concentration checks, passing on extra saves for allies to break out of status effects, all sorts of fun stuff. I'm probably going to want magic missiles i can just dump out forever for free all the time over 3x bow shots.

Assuming 40% chance to miss then the DPR for the fighter is 16.2.

Compared to the DPR of the magic missile: 10.5

Seems like a pretty significant difference to me. I guess we cold argue in circles for a billion years about concentration and stuff but I'd go with the bow, myself.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Kaysette posted:

Anyone who takes magic missile as a spell mastery pick is too stupid to be allowed access to the magic system. Their character sheet should be confiscated and replaced by one for a champion fighter.

It's probably one of the most suboptimal choices you can take. And yet it's still OK. Compared to 3.5 where you can cripple your character hopelessly with bad picks.

Demonstrates how much better 5e is.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

kingcom posted:

if you really just want to cause raw numbers damage you're probably wanting to go scorching ray + evocation wizard for 3x 2d6+5 all day forever with Elf Accuracy + faire fire or something to just crit seek it forever but idk.

Where does the 3x come from? This is a genuine question. I'm still learning 5e.

E: oh wait I misread the spell description. it comes with 3 rays

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I didn't consider how Empowered Evocation would work with spells with multiple damage rolls. Seems extremely strong.

E: There is a player's handbook errata nerfing this:

quote:

Empowered Evocation (p. 117). The
damage bonus applies to one damage roll
of a spell, not multiple rolls

E2: Assuming the same 40% chance to hit and using the errata, the dpr for empowered evocation Scorching ray is 15.6 which is only juuuust behind the archer.

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 15, 2018

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Empowered evocation with a +5 int modifier raises level 1 magic missile's dpr to 25.5, which is monsterous.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Christ the designers of this game are bad at clarifying things

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/487995399899074560

How does this help at all

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Allowing the bonus only once per target seems like the only sane ruling, though it isn't clear from the rulebook or the designer tweets at all.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

I skimmed through the last couple pages, and I have to say I don't understand why you're all arguing about the DPR merits of Magic Missile at high levels, when a Sorcerer can take 2 Warlock levels and by 11 have equivalent DPR to the most optimized Fighter/Paladin/Ranger while retaining full casting.

Or a Wizard at that level can cast Animate Objects 4 times per day and do much the same. Are you doing more than 4 fights per day? It's like they're summoning a fighter for any combat worth the effort, on top of their Earth Elemental buddy that's already just hanging out, while still having their own actions free to do whatever.

An 11th level wizard can only cast animate objects twice per day, though? Unless there's some OP option I'm not aware of. Still strong, obviously.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Oh, right.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I can see how that spell would gently caress up a whole campaign. The DM would need to be careful about what kind of furniture is in every single room. Looks like our level 8 game is just before the point where it becomes unfun for everyone except the wizard lol

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Sage Genesis posted:

D&D is the game with sphinxes, quetzalcoatls, rakshasa demons, and oni. Some of its settings include Dark Sun, Planescape, Eberron, and Spelljammer. More recently its spread into Magic the Gathering settings like Ravnica and Zendikar.

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but D&D hasn't been "western" fantasy for a long, long time now.

(And given that way back in the first days it had stats for martians and androids and poo poo, it arguably never ever was in the first place.)

Ok but monks are still stupid and lame.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Rolling stats is only fun in a game where character creation takes less than one minute total

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

LGD posted:

nah, elaborate lifepath character creation is fun

not that that has much of anything to do with D&D stats

Yeah that's a different thing