Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I saw this during its initial run in Korea and thought it was great. I'm not much for analysis so I'll just say the movie really reminded me of Children of the Sky by Robert Heinlein in places.

Also the best part of the movie (I dunno if this was subtitled in the American release) was right after they get Minsoo out of his confinement.

Chris Evans: ARE YOU NAM? ARE YOU NAM, KOONGMINSOO?
Song Kang-ho: (in Korean) The family name's Namgoong and the given is Minsoo, you fuckin' dumbass.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

BrianWilly posted:

I think the main point of realism-contention for me is that, well, did they really need this train in the first place? I understand that's the entire central conceit of the storyline without which the themes and allegory don't work, but what specifically stopped them from just building...well, warmer houses in the first place? Surely that would've been an easier solution than this...rather complicated one?

Especially when we see at the end that arctic life was evidently able to survive for seventeen years without going extinct, so even if the planet went catastrophically cold, it still wasn't the type of catastrophic cold that couldn't conceivably be handled with care.

It's like the complex conceit of Avatar that never really made sense to me; we needed to be able to survive on this alien world and interact with the natives, so we cloned them and stuck our brains into them. Like...:stare: there's gotta be a more straightforward way than that, y'know?

I'm pretty sure the train was designed independently of the catastrophe, it just turned out to be a really good place to live when the rest of the world went to hell in a handbasket.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

paperfax posted:

I saw this movie last night, I thought it was okay but wasn't completely enamoured by it or anything. Definitely addresses some interesting issues though.

The one thing that surprised me was Curtis' reaction to the "disgusting" origins of their food. Wasn't it just insects? As far as I know, insects are considered the "food of the future" and are already an important source of protein in some parts of the world. If anything, that was a reasonable portrayal of what mass-produced food might be like someday. I guess the broader issue was that they were essentially being force fed some highly processed mystery food and it wasn't what he expected, but still, I don't think it's as bad as he made it out to be :shobon:

Curtis is old enough to remember life before the train, so he's probably still got that instinctive negative reaction to roaches.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

His family name is Namgoong, not Nam. This was literally a scene in the movie, god drat.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

ShoogaSlim posted:

And I'm sure it's been brought up before but I forgot to include it in my previous post, but Tilda Swinton was god drat incredible in her role. That being said, what was up with the part where she was begging Chris Evans not to kill her and she takes her teeth out? The audience laughed at that part where I assumed you were supposed to feel pity on her? It just seemed like a unnecessary addition. If it was supposed to illustrate that she's flawed too and "like" the rest of them, I'm not sure that it hit the mark

I thought it was supposed to illustrate that she's pathetic enough to pull out all the stops when it comes to ensuring her own survival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

BlindSite posted:

One thing my brother brought up last night after he watched it Why would curtis give a poo poo about eating ground up insects if he ate babies?

Babies taste best, cockroach blocks probably taste like poo poo.

• Locked thread