Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

I really hated that Chris Evans' character had to sacrifice so much to get the tail car folks as far as he did and then turned down ultimate power, I mean did they HAVE to cast an actor named Chris? All I kept thinking was "man this dude is almost like Jesus." It always pulls me right out of the movie when a character goes through a lot and is played by someone named Chris.

Christ figures are pretty common in modern storytelling and Chris is one of the most popular names in the United States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
The train was shown to be powerful enough to crash through several multi-ton ice buildups anyway.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I enjoyed Snowpiercer as a revolutionary fairy tale, but I have to admit it's a little weird to make a movie about capitalism and then characterize it as a static system that doesn't grow and whose survival depends on maintaining equilibrium, rather than constant expansion.

Has capitalism proven to be able to maintain a constant expansion though? Because our system seems to always run just fine without 5-10% of our population, while industrial and manufacturing jobs continue to be outsourced to other countries. I live in Pennsylvania and I can't tell you how many former steel manufacturing and coal mining towns I've passed through where the word "expansion" probably hasn't been used to describe anything there for decades. Our infrastructure is decaying and we barely have the means or even the motivation to repair, say, the thousands of bridges in our country that have been deemed unsafe for use.

Speaking of the 5.5% unemployed (aka useless back of the train-ers), they're statistically more likely to be targeted by police based solely upon where they're located geographically and as such, more likely to have felonies. When you have a felony on your record, not only does it become exponentially more difficult to find a job, in a system that honestly doesn't need your labor, but in a lot of states you lose your right to vote. So you essentially have no influence on your community; socially, politically, legally or economically.

I don't know about you but this, drawn to a logical extreme, is beginning to sound a lot like the plot of snowpiercer to me. But that's just my interpretation.

• Locked thread