Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Saw it and liked it. I'd definitely recommend it to others but I definitely wouldn't go see it again since the entire train and associated systems weren't even subtle about being absolutely Ayn Rand-brand libertarianism and that poo poo sets off a slow burning rage in me whenever I see it anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Vermain posted:

It's not just Ayn Rand libertarianism, though: it is an analogy for the capitalist system itself. The "perpetual motion engine" - whose only purpose is to continue to turn itself - is a perfect mirror to capitalism's sustained cycle (the accumulation of profit for the purpose of the accumulation of profit, etc.), alongside it being sustained by literal slave labor hidden away from the rest of the world. It's why Curtis' decision to destroy the engine, rather than merely appropriating it for some "better use", is important. His radical act fundamentally redefines the world, opening up the space for a new society to emerge that isn't based on feeding human sacrifices to the engine of the train forever.
I'm certain you're right, Rand was just the first thing that popped out at me since I know too many people in real life who hold her up on a pedestal.

Someone in another thread also made the point that the movie was unapologetic that not only were all of the antagonists white, but that even Chris Evan's white revolutionary character was briefly tempted by Wilford's offer until he truly saw the price that was being paid by the lower classes. Y'all are totally correct that the film isn't even a little subtle but I liked that a lot.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Honest Thief posted:

The only part I'm puzzled about, because it seems underdeveloped, are the two big axe guys who chase the girl around. The French comic ending is way more of a downer btw, and or typical twilight zone twist
Can you tell us how the comic ended for those of us who can't get it?

• Locked thread