Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

State of U.S. politics.

Lord_Ventnor posted:

That is certainly... something.

Anyway, how 'bout that Supreme Court? Those sure were some rulings that's made everyone angry.
Yeah, gently caress the Supreme Court for reversing the Federal Circuit 9-0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

SedanChair posted:

How many modern circumstances in America are traceable to "the wise preparations of Nixon"? He was literally (yes literally) Cao Cao with a longer nose.

Though Nixon was a better poet

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Teddybear posted:

Sorry if this has been posted already, but it seems interesting-- a California federal judge has ruled the state's death penalty unconstitutional.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-california-death-penalty-ruled-unconstitutional-20140716-story.html

The immediate impact is limited, considering it was one case, but it probably will lead to a full statewide abolishment soon, either through the courts or through the legislature.

After skimming the opinion I would be surprised if this doesn't get reversed at the Ninth Circuit

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
I am a race traitor because I vote for the Democratic Party and they actively work against white interests by promoting affirmative action

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
The Uncle Tom derail will outlast the I/P conflict and be just as pointless

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Teddybear posted:

If you don't have this on your table, you're not a politics wonk.

Why would anyone who's not in law school or law ever need this loving piece of poo poo book?

Random poo poo, but I know an autistic law student that was obsessed with legal citations (he source collected every citation in our casebooks for every assignment in every class) that found a typo in the Bluebook's citations for some California reporter or something, and HLR said they would correct it in the next edition.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Bluebook owns, but it needs to be freely available.

The rules for citing federal and state materials are fine, but the international rules are so inconsistent and bizarre. Why do Japanese case citations only include the docket number, court and year but don't include the name of the actual case like every other citation in an American document or article? Why are Chinese citations so goddamn long and why don't law professors ever know the proper format? Maybe these are based on those countries' citation systems but they seem arbitrary when compared to well established domestic citation rules.

I was on six law journals and I think that made bluebook gently caress with my head.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

Japanese law scholars prefer to omit case "names", so that's why you're told to do so as well by the book.

I guess Japanese law scholars are stupid then.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

No, it's simply just not done. It doesn't really benefit anything to do it, especially when being dealt with in non-Japanese writing.

I too was outraged by the recent decision in 13-354, 573 U.S. -- (2014).

EDIT: ^^^^^^and here I was ready to dismiss that country outright

Double edit: vvvvv why do i even read fishmech posts

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 27, 2014

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
I will join the chorus supporting your effort posts. they are a good catalog of why I hate this loving country.

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

Game of Thrones ain't got poo poo on real history.

game of thrones has dragons real history does not

point game of thrones

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Mitt Romney posted:

Sarah Palin isn't dumb, crazy or other stuff. She's just making money. She talks the same as Rush Limbaugh. Really slow pace with lots of emphasis on random words. Speaks for 30 minutes without really saying anything.

Look at her interviews before she got picked VP. She is capable of acting and talking like a normal person. She was even saying stuff like she thought Obama might be good. She realized she could make quite a bit of money with this stuff during the 2008 race and took off with it.

It is obvious that she can't handle high pressure situations though.

It's not just the bizarre rhetoric that has long since been surpassed by other right wing shitheads. Her syntax is very odd. I think it goes beyond being a bad public speaker because it's in her writing as well. Not to diagnose people over the internet like Brill Frist (Okay I am but whatever) but word salad can sometimes be a symptom of mental illness or at least a sign that there is some damage to someone's faculties. It could just be an aphasia from getting kicked in the head by a moose or something, or she could be schizophrenic.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

djw175 posted:

Out of curiosity, how do lawsuits for people from outside the country work? I suppose this applies to tourists as well as the illegal immigrants.
The lawsuits need to be filed in a court that has personal jurisdiction over the defendants and the court must be a proper venue. Those are both decided by convoluted statutory and judicial tests. Even if a foreign plaintiff meets these standards, the lawsuit can still be dismissed under this doctrine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forum_non_conveniens#United_States

quote:

In deciding whether to grant the motion, the court considers:

The location of potential witnesses. ...
The location of relevant evidence and records. ...
Possible undue hardship for the defendant. ...
Availability of adequate alternative forums for the plaintiff. ...
The expeditious use of judicial resources. ...
The choice of law applicable to the dispute. ...
Questions of public policy. ...
The location where the cause of action arose. ...
The identities of the parties. ...
Vexatious motive. ...
Jurisprudential development and political conditions at the foreign forum. ...

I don't think that this would be an issue in some federal lawsuit against militia members filed by the families of presumably decedents that attempted to cross the border because the events at issue would have occurred in America, unless the militia members are literally shooting into Mexico. Furthermore, the whole reason such an event would have happened because the defendants believed the borders were so goddamn loose and insecure. I can only imagine the most shitheaded of Reagan or Bush appointed judges could accept an argument from them stating that moving between Mexico and the United States is too difficult for the other party.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
In all seriousness, the Republicans' current fastest rising star is Mitt Romney.

In addition to hoping that Joe Biden remains VP for life, I really hope that Mitt Romney is our generation's William Jennings Bryan of perennial hopeless lovely candidate

edit: that gets somewhere, so not ron paul

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 30, 2014

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Hey guys guess what poo poo the GOP is gonna be improperly smug about all day/week/month/year/chappaquidick

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/bill-clintons-lost-tape-i-could-have-killed-osama-bin-n170111

quote:

Just 10 hours before the attacks of September 11, 2001, where nearly 3000 innocent people perished at the orders of Osama bin Laden, ex-President Bill Clinton was in Australia saying he had a chance to take the former al-Qaeda leader out — but passed.

At the time, bin Laden was lesser known to the general public but was on the FBI's Most Wanted list for his role in the 1998 attacks on U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania. Clinton was in Melbourne, speaking to a small group of business leaders on Sept. 10, 2001, and he was asked about terrorism.

"I’m just saying, you know, if I were Osama bin Laden — he’s a very smart guy, I've spent a lot of time thinking about him — and I nearly got him once,” Clinton says in the recording. "I nearly got him. And I could have killed him, but I would have to destroy a little town called Kandahar in Afghanistan and kill 300 innocent women and children, and then I would have been no better than him. And so I just didn't do it."

The recording was lost and forgotten about until last week, when Michael Kroger, the former head of the Liberal Party in the Australian state of Victoria, remembered he had the tape, and Sky News in Australia played it on Thursday.

delightful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

greatn posted:

Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

That doesn't really matter though, because the right wing outrage bullshit really just writes itself for this one. They don't even need to be creative.

• Locked thread