Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Happy Fourth of July and new thread, everybody! I will be drinking High Life tallboys this weekend to celebrate.

Kinda wish the Hobby Lobby ruling didn't happen this week, I know it was practically inevitable but it really pushed that "Blackwater threatens to literally execute some US official in Iraq for questioning them" story out of the spotlight. PMCs are fascinating to me and reading the accounts of what they managed to get away with is one of those situations where it's so incredibly unbelievable that if you tried to stick it in a movie audiences would complain that it was too unrealistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Mister Adequate posted:

Getting pissed because bad things happen in war is like getting mad because points are scored in sports. Yeah, of course Dresden/Hiroshima/Atlanta were bad things. That was the loving point. Unless you're going for actual extermination you win a war by making the other side say "gently caress that we've had enough, we give up". Which requires horrible poo poo to be done.

Never thought I'd see a Dresden apologist in D&D. Well, maybe Amergin, but not someone doing it genuinely.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I unironically believe that the first goon that gets elected to anything notable will turn out to have been a FYAD poster. Not a superstar or anything, just someone with a negative post count. And when it comes out and turns into a huge scandal, I can't wait to see Wolf Blitzer talking about "something's awful message forum fee-yahd" in front of a screenshot of people with anime avatars calling each other niggers on a pink forum.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Brannock posted:

Oblivious goonposting about how incredibly much they don't get FYAD is one of this forum's funniest recurring topics. For a bunch of people who have the attention and intelligence to follow American politics so closely to understand all the minor details about it you sure have trouble understanding that FYAD is just about being funny.

Yeah, it's the kind of pure zen of comedy that I could genuinely see the kind of person who has that combination of narcissism, charisma and ambition that makes a successful politician posting there just to unwind. When they're still in grad school, or something.

quote:

I honestly wonder if Internet histories is going to mean that we loosen the gently caress up about our public candidates lives, or if it'll just mean we elect even boringer people since they were the ones who managed to not do anything remotely eyebrow-raising as an idiot kid or idiot teenager.

Internet histories aside, I wonder when we'll see the first politician with gauges in their ears or a neck tattoo. I'm thinking thirty years.

• Locked thread