Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Xheina van der Worrt
FP OOOOO / P OO / M OOOOO / (-2/-4/-6)

Xheina looks around the room, then at the two lizard-y folks. "You scared her off! We totally need to split up. I'm going to the next one down." She skips back out into the hall and makes her way to the next room.

What's behind door #2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Room 2

This room is much like the first, minus the wardrobe but with the bonus of having a young woman. A pretty blonde woman who looks a bit wistful and sighs. She spots Xheina and stands up a bit straighter. "Oh, I am sorry I hadn't seen you there. I am a bit distracted."

Room 4

The woman gives a sad smile, nods, and opens her mouth to answer. But nothing comes out. It seems she cannot speak.

Room 6

Gray heads to the next room. This room appears to be empty, it doesn't seem to have anything at all, just bare walls. It doesn't even really look like it was used as a bedroom.

Room 7

The hidden hissing voice laughs. "Hmm I am a beautiful woman living in one of the rooms here. What do you think?" A rustle as if she had thrown back her hair in an imperious gesture, accompanied with a chorus of soft hisses.

"I am not seeing any visitors right now." She sounds a bit annoyed at this.

Room 1 is the 15 on there, 2 is 14, 3 is 13, 4 is 12, 5 is 11, 6 is 9, 7 is 8, 8 is 7, 9 is 6, 10 is 4, and 11 is 3.
Fall-From-Grace is at 2, the metal skinned woman is at 5, another beautiful woman is at 10, and the modrons who are watching the metal skinned woman are at 16.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Xheina van der Worrt

"Distracted? I can help with that! I'm the best at being distracting." Xheina hops into the room and sticks out her hand. "Hi! I'm Xheina van der Worrt! What's your name? What's it like working here? Do you like pie?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Room 2

The woman is a bit taken back by Xheina's rush and attitude. She reluctantly takes Xheina's hand, a bit uncertainly. "Ah, um I am Juliette. Its okay I don't do much except talk to the patrons that come in. Um pie?"

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Gray Lotwyver - FP: 7 / S: OOOO (P) / OOO (M) (-2/-4/-6)

"Oh, come on." Frustration was starting to build. Two empty rooms in a row? That had to be some kind of joke. He couldn't be this unlucky. Were the students avoiding him and the others?

...Nah, that didn't make sense. It was probably just bad luck. Probably. "Third time's the charm. If I don't find anything this time, I'm mixing it up." Gray muttered, as he left the room and approached the one on the other side of his first choice. This time, lady luck smiled on him, as there was a lady in the room...

"...You've got to be kidding me. Again?" And a certain dweeby mage, too. Tapping on the door, Gray caught their attention. "I'm not interrupting anything, am I? Search's been a bust so far. I was starting to wonder if everybody'd gone into hiding."

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

-Coal- FP:6, Phys: OOOO, Ment: OOO

"I thought you didn't like sharing, Gray?" Coal said, unable to keep the smug smile off his face. "But nah, there's nothing to interrupt. She's one of the students but I don't think she can speak." He turned back to the woman. "Can you write? Or... how does this work? This is kind of new for me."

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

"Geeze, Coal. You trying to talk or bang?" Gray shook his head. "This ain't so hard, you know. Unless she's deaf, she can understand you just fine, and I bet she knows how to make herself understood. All you need to do is pay attention." Striding into the room, he approached and took a courteous bow. "Pleasure to meet you. My name's Gray. What should I call you?" There was a subtle change in his voice as he addressed the silent girl. It was still as energetic and forceful as ever, but it wasn't quite as aggressive as it had been moments before. It was almost like someone had slipped a training sheath over a sword, hiding its edge from the world.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
Father Alexander Navarre - FP:5 / P: OO / M: OOOOO / (-2/-4/-6)

Alex paused, thinking for a moment, "I think that this is a house of the mind, not the body, and that appearance matters little here. I also think that I can help with whatever ails you." Tentatively, he took a small step forwards into the room, lowering his hands to his sides.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Xheina van der Worrt

"It's a circular baked good with a crust stuffed with all sort of yummy things, like blueberries and chocolate and spicy meat, though not all at the same time unless you're buying it from that one shop in the Hive. Also you can use it to figure out how much stuff is in the pie but only approximately unless you use fractions because its infinite. I haven't found a plane of infinite pie yet but I still have hope."

"So how does someone end up working here anyways?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Room 2

Juliette looks rather confused as Xheina talks about a pastry filled with fruit, chocolate and spicy meat. Thankfully Xheina clarifies that they are not usually filled with all three at the same time.

"Um we joined the Sensates, and we each had our own skills that Mistress Fall-From-Grace found useful for this work, and so she picked us out."

Room 4

Gray joins in and the woman gives another sad smile. And a small shake of her head in regards to the comment of getting herself understood. She looks frustrated and small tears begin at the corner of her eyes.

Room 7

The hidden hissing sighs, and gives a sharp, "stop where you are! You do not want to come any closer. Not at the moment. But you wish to help me? Then find my crimson veil. One of the other girls must have stolen it, and I cannot see anyone without it."

Room 1 is the 15 on there, 2 is 14, 3 is 13, 4 is 12, 5 is 11, 6 is 9, 7 is 8, 8 is 7, 9 is 6, 10 is 4, and 11 is 3.
Fall-From-Grace is at 2, the metal skinned woman is at 5, another beautiful woman is at 10, and the modrons who are watching the metal skinned woman are at 16.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

"At least I didn't make her cry." Coal said, facepalming.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"...You can't be this thick, can you?" Gray said, glancing at Coal incredulously. "She's not crying because I made her sad, you brick. She's communicating with us! She can't make herself understood, but feelings go beyond any language." Gray shook his head and focused on the girl again. "So you can't talk to us and it's not by your own choice. It's OK, I got you. Is there anything I can do to help?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Room 4

The woman nods at Gray's words. Then looks thoughtful. She looks into his eyes, and he can tell she is uncertain. Then she gives a small nod, as if to say, possibly, but it is an uncertain nod as if she is not entirely sure.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"Brilliant. I bet we can sort things out, somehow." Gray nodded enthusiastically. The City could get very cold, sometimes. It'd been a while since he'd done someone else a real, personal favor divorced from money or politics. He'd forgotten how pleasant contact with another human being could be.

"So how do we get your little problem fixed? I don't suppose you've got any ideas, right?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Room 4

She looks a bit dejected, waves her hands a bit with her mouth moving as if she was chanting some gibberish. Then drops her hands and looks at you forlornly. She shrugs. She isn't really sure what if anything would work, but this is Sigil and if a way to help could be found it would be here of all places.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Coal tapped his chin with his thumb, thinking. Waggling fingers and chanting meant mage to quote a certain grumpy berk.

"So either a wizard did it, or a wizard can undo it. Whatever it is." he said.

He approached the girl and held out one hand. "I bet it's hard to do your job here if someone's cursed you into silence. I've got a little bit of talent if you trust me enough to try and find out what's wrong."

---

Coal's gonna roll Notice to examine the girl and try to find out what's wrong with her. This is a Create Advantage, trying to reveal any existing aspects or making one if none are there. Notice: ///+ +5 = 6!
(If it's a SwS I get 2 aspects instead of just a second tag, per my stunt.)

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Xheina van der Worrt

"What skills are those? Oh! Is it your exceptional sighing? You're real good at that, lots of practice it sounds like. Why do you have so much practice with sighs? It seems like a weird skill to specialize in."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Room 2

Juliette looks a little startled. "I am not specialized in sighing, I am just feeling a bit disappointed in my love life. It isn't exciting enough." Of course K'irk perks up at this statement.

Room 4

She gestures to indicate that her job is not actually hindered by her silence. But she looks hopeful at his words. He is also absolutely sure she has been cursed with an inability to communicate.

Discover the Magically Cursed aspect, and Good Listener aspect.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 19, 2014

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Veodaal - FP: 4

Well, that accomplished little. Veo returns to the Brothel's atrium, searching for the madame. "My apologies," he begins upon seeing Fall-From-Grace, "but I find myself at a loss as to the purpose of this exercise. I should hope to be of more assistance, if you could explain?"

Empathy ///+ +3 = 4 to generally get a feel for what's going on here; will apply that to either FFG's answer if she obfuscates or the situation in general, as needed.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Entry Hall

Veodaal seeks out Fall-From-Grace to try and figure out just what is the purpose of this endeavor. She smiles at him and responds. "I wish to see what you do. And how resourcesful you are. Before I decide to help you with your little portal problem. I don't let people into my room on general purposes after all."

Veodaal believes she is being somewhat honest. But that there may be more to it. Perhaps she wishes the group to actually accomplish something while speaking to her students.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

"A direction-less quest would be naught but fruitless, I fear. To find your lost veil, I must hear more. How was it stolen, and did the thief leave anything behind?" Alexander asked, stopping just inside the doorway.

((Rapport to create/reveal advantages(+3): -+++ +3 = +5))

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Xheina van der Worrt

Xheina looks Juliette up and down. "I see! Well let me think. What kind of excitement are you looking for?"

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

K'irk - FP: 7->6

"Hold it!"

K'irk raises one claw into the air and takes a step forward. "I think I can assist the lady with this issue. My name is K'irk, Captain K'irk. Commander of the Kobold Space Federation ship, the Kenderprize. I come from worlds unknown to this Sigil, in search of... fine ladies such as yourself. What say you and I find somewhere to talk for a bit, while my friend here calculates the value of Pie. Don't worry, the luscious Falls-From-Grace won't mind, she told us to speak to you anyways."

Invoking Brash Kobold Explorer of Unusual Charisma and rolling rapport for a +7 to seduce this poor woman who lacks a love life.

<Krysmbot> FireSight, /++-+4 = 5

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 19, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Xheina van der Worrt

Xheina looks a bit put out, but then shrugs with a grin. "Well you did say you were the captain, not the wingman."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Room 2

Juliette goes red, blushing quite prettily, and a bit shocked. It is not like numerous patrons don't proposition her, somehow not understanding the actual purpose of this brothel, but none of them were quite as capable as this strange pantsless kobold.

She stammers out, "um well I do have a boyfriend, and well things have been going too well, so I was hoping to spice things up by making him jealous, but uh well..." She stammers a bit quite unsure, and begins to fan her face. "Well okay."

*Fade Out*

*Fade Back In*

"Well that at least spiced things up. Though now I feel terrible. What have I done?"

Room 7

The voice stops, though Alexander can still hear her breathing. Perhaps she is thinking on things. After a few moments she responds. "I don't know which of them stole it. They are jealous of me of course. So of course they do not want me to see any patrons. I don't know which of them stole it, I didn't notice any clues, but perhaps one of them left something in my drawer over there."

Father Alexander looks to the side, and in the dim light of the doorway he can just make out a wardrobe, with a drawer slightly open. Assuming he goes to investigate it he finds a small tuft of fur stuck between the drawers. Kind of pungent fur.

Discovered Smelly Fur aspect.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

The more he thought about it the more Coal figured the answer to the lady's problem was probably not in this room. "I'll be right back." he said, excusing himself. He found Veodaal and Falls-From-Grace back in the main area.

"Madame," he said, giving that little half bow that Veo always did when he was trying to be polite. "I'm sorry but it seems like one of your students has been cursed. She can't talk, or well, communicate much of anything. I'm pretty good at counter-cursing, but if you know anything about the spell or who put it on her, then it would help me to help her, if you know what I mean."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Entry Hall

Coal goes to see Fall-From-Grace to see if she has some insight into the cursed student. She gives a small sad smile and shakes her head. "I am afraid I do not know who cursed her. She was unable to convey who or what placed the curse upon her. And I have been unable to remove it myself. It has not interfered with her duties, for she is excellent at listening, but I am sure she would enjoy being able to speak once more. If you could do anything to help her I would quite appreciate it."

Brothel of Slaking Intellectual Lusts

K'irk goes about investigating all the rooms, and more importantly all the girls. Father Alexander investigates the tuft of smelly fur, and finds a tiefling girl with goat legs, who quite abuses him verbally, and eventually reveals she had something stolen from her. More precisely she had the crimson veil stolen from her, after yes she stole it from the medusa. He runs around, and meets up with others to exchange tasks. Gray is grumpy. Xheina is eccentric. And K'irk continues to hit on everything that moves, and even some things that don't.

Eventually the crimson veil is found, with a wonderful scent upon it. Which is good because during all the running around the group finds a girl who had lost her personal scent. Father Alexander and Coal work together and manage to free the silent girl from her curse, where she happily hugs both of them and tells them her name is Echo.

Much havoc abounds as well and the group after running around some more finds a secret door behind the empty room Gray had found. Inside they find a bunch of sensory stones, stones the sensates use to store the various sensations they have collected. One for each of the girls the group found above, and a tenth with a name scratched out. They never did find the tenth student.

You all return to Fall-From-Grace to report your findings, and your many life altering events, but you are still missing one. Veodaal brings forth the insight he had earlier, combined with everything the group has found, and gives the response that they themselves are the "tenth student." It is some questionable logic, but it seems like something that would satisfy Fall-From-Grace. And she is indeed satisfied, if for no other reason than for all the good you did in your mad scramble.

She takes you all up to her room. A nice, if a bit austere, room. With a few comforts and decorations, but not to the level one would expect for a brothel matron.

"Here is my room. Please behave." On this last she gives K'irk a pointed look.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 22, 2014

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

K'irk - FP: 6

"Alright ladies and others. I first stepped out of an alleyway in my Sigil into a dark room full of very nicely scented cloth... the closet! It's right over there. I, uh... I won't go in again. Too much fun stuff in there."

K'irk grins and stands at the entrance to the room, hands clasped behind him. It's obvious, by how he keeps shifting his weight from foot to foot, that the kobold wants to get up to something, but is restraining himself.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

"Fun stuff?" Coal raised an eyebrow, not sure if he wanted to know what the good Captain found 'fun' in a succubus' closet. His curosity (about the PORTAL) got the better of him though and he stepped into the bedroom. He kept his hands politely clasped behind his back as he examined the closet door.

"Hey K'irk, if your world was some kind of alternate Sigil, did portals still require a key? Was there anything you had then that you don't have anymore? Or something you might have said just before you fell through?"

He closed his eyes and tried to sense any kind of magic coming from the closet. Then very quickly, before the owner could object, he slid the door open.

---
Notice to create/reveal any interesting aspects on the closet, especially if there's anything magical: +/+- +5 = 6! If that counts as a SwS I get two!

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

"Don't ask me, I was only in Sigil to deliver some stuff. I normally travel places by space ship, not by portal."

The kobold shrugs as well as he can with his hands behind his back.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Xheina van der Worrt

Xheina pokes around the room. "Do I have to behave? Oh, do you know anything about hidden treasures?" She pulls out the map and lays it down on the first flat surface she can find. "I recently bought this map in a totally aboveboard transaction and we're on a quest to discover its secrets!"

Xheina is really good at making friends, so she tries to distract Fall-From-Grace.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Fall-From-Grace's Bedroom

K'irk restrains himself, and Xheina attempts to distract Fall-From-Grace with her totally above board legal acquisition, Fall-From-Grace for her part smiles at Xheina's words and actions as if she was in on some joke.

Coal on the other hand searches the closet for clues, while trying to avoid touching anything embarrassing. Inside he finds a number of dresses in various styles, and generally rather subdued for a succubus, various other garments are also located in the closet, though Coal may not be entirely clear on what they are all used for. For the most part he doesn't find a terrible amount of magic, there is of course the magic that allows the closet to be bigger on the inside than on the outside, quite useful for anyone who needs storage in a small area.

But he does find one thing that he does not expect to find within a closet. This is of course because he has no idea what it is. Well that may not be exactly true. It looks like something from his childhood, but well that can't be. It reminds him of something called a tricorder on an old television show, a device that could scan aliens, diagnose things, and even translate. It certainly doesn't look like it belongs in this world, and technically doesn't belong in his own either.

Aspects: Bigger on the Inside, and Tricorder. The first is stationary and only applicable here, the other can be brought with you and used at another place, if you wish. Also who knows how a magical science device will interact with Coal's jinx field.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Veodaal - FP: 4

Xheina posted:

"I recently bought this map in a totally aboveboard transaction and we're on a quest to discover its secrets!"

"Yes," Veo concurs. "Its seller vouched for its accuracy, going so far as to swear by his smallest finger. He must put much stock in its veracity, to so risk maiming with his pledge."

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

"Huh." Coal said, picking up the tri-corder. It was the only thing that didn't belong in the closet, and it looked like something K'irk might carry. He took it back to the others.

"Well, I didn't sense any kind of portal field. That doesn't mean there wasn't one, but it's not there now. Maybe it was a one time deal, or the conditions aren't met anymore." He shook his head. "I did find this in there though. Madame, does this belong to you, and if not, can we keep it? If it's from wherever K'irk's from he might need it to get back one day."

Coal was sure that he'd need his own belongings if he wanted to go back home, even though there wasn't any proof of it. It was just a feeling he had, and he'd learned to trust his instincts when it came to how magic worked in Sigil.

(Skipping ahead a second since I think that should be ok,)

"It's definitely high time we had a look at that map though. Maybe in the common room? I'm sure our hostess would prefer we not intrude on her private chambers any longer."

He caught Gray's eye. "Don't worry, I'm not chickening out of sparring with you. But adventure comes first."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

"Huh, that looks like something my science officer would carry around. I usually leave the tech-toys to him, except for my gun. I wonder how that got here?"

K'irk is as puzzled as everyone else about the tri-corders appearance.

Lets do the time warp!

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Fall-From-Grace's Bedroom

Fall-From-Grace confirms that she has never seen the device before, and that the group can take it. And of course she would rather you finished your search and left her room, as she isn't really in to those kinds of things anymore.

Once out of her room, and in a more spacious area where they can all look over the map the group begins to do so. They find it filled with strange symbols, swirling before their eyes, shifting and rearranging. The one area that seems clear looks as if it shows a spire, impossibly long, and ringed at its zenith. Sigil. Next to it is trash? And a box. A box within a smaller box on it? It kind of looks like the tri-corder. Weird.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

"Well, this map is undoubtedly magical - if it even is a map. Could be some scam by some gnomish sorcerers. They tend to do that, you see. Bunch of pesky buggers," mused Alex, studying the map, his spectacles perched upon the end of his nose, "I suspect that it's pointing towards the Outlands, but that's just a guess."

((Lore(+3): /++- +3 = +4 to uncover aspects about the map. +5 if Arcana/Religion/The Planes subject areas apply.))

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Map Investigations

At first Father Alexander thinks the map may be pointing to the outlands, but upon closer inspection he is sure that it is actually pointing to somewhere in Sigil. Somewhere filled with trash, apparently. Poring over the map he tries to ascertain something new. Reading a few symbols, and some arrows, he begins to suspect that rather than in a ward of Sigil it might somehow be underneath?

Aspect: Underground Trash

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 1, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Xheina van der Worrt

"One man's trash is another's treasure! Hey maybe that thing you found in the wardrobe will help us find it." Xheina considers the map, then rotates it upside down to look at it from a different perspective. "It keeps changing. It's more of a treasure guide than a map, I think. Hmm, let me see..." She taps it with her magical staff, focusing on the twisting and changing symbols. The less order the better for her purposes.

Using my chaotic magic to see if I can get the map to do things in a semi-controlled manner. Semi-controlled because, you know, chaos.
[19:40] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, ++/++3 = 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Map Investigations

The map writhes and smokes under Xheina's ministrations, and she could almost swear she could hear screaming. Then it settles down. Looking down she does not see any change with the map. But the presence of murmurs, and hawkers and harlots shouting their wares, draws her attention. She finds that she is now in front of the Monastery, in the Hive, and no longer in the Clerk's Ward at all. She also finds herself alone.

The others meanwhile watch as Xheina fiddles with the map, taps it with her staff, and then tries to use chaos to create order. Then she seems to stretch and contract and and then she is gone. And so too is the map.

• Locked thread