Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Xheina van der Worrt
FP OOOOO / P OO / M OOOOO / (-2/-4/-6)

Xheina slowly looks around at her new surroundings, the carefully rolls up the map and puts it away. She rests her staff on her shoulder and grins. "That worked better than expected!" she tells the nearest person. "I thought it would probably explode, or turn into custard, or both. Both was the odds on favorite. Hey, do you know anywhere I can get a slice of pie?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Map Investigations

The nearest person being a tiefling, with goat legs, a snake's tongue, and blue skin, looks Xheina up and down. "Well if you go through that alley over there, and don't get knifed in the dark, there is a man we just call Adamant that could probably help you. Can't miss him his skin has the hue of adamantine. I get the feeling he will have a pie you will like."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Xheina van der Worrt

"Thanks! Hey if a stuffy dragonman, a doofy looking swordsman, a priest, a randy kobold, and a guy who looks like a lady come by, tell them they need to come up with a better punch line. And that I went to get pie." Xheina waves and skips off down the alley, adamant that she will speak to a man about a pie.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Map Investigations

The tiefling looks a bit confused, but just assumes that this confirms what he already thought about Xheina, still he remembers what she said in case her friends actually do come looking for her.

Xheina enters the alley, and is almost immediately eyed by two rival gangs. They go in to waylay her, though the second in command of one gang tries to warn his leader off after getting a look at Xheina and realizing she is bad news. But the leader brushes him off and commands her forces to continue.

They each sneak through the shadows heading toward Xheina, when one is startled by some flying fire breathing rat erupting from the rubble in a rage at having its tail stepped on. Another trips and falls out into the open as a cobble beneath his feet shifts and drops him. One of the thugs from the other gang gets a whiff of especially thick pollution as a gust of wind passes by. Another accidentally rubs against a ruined building and inadvertently topples it with a loud crash.

And then the gangs spot each other, and for the moment forget Xheina as they rush to do battle with each other. Xheina is more or less oblivious to all this as she follows the various paths through the alley, and out into the brighter areas beyond. Still in the hive, and still fairly filthy. And there standing against a building is a tall man with skin of adamant. Looking straight at her as she exits the alley and holding a fresh steaming pie.

"Come Xheina van der Worrt I have freshly baked a pie for you."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Xheina van der Worrt

"Oh man it must be a Wednesday, Wednesdays are the best." Of course Xheina is going to accept that invitation. "Have we met? Why are you so shiny?"

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

-Coal- FP:6, Phys: OOOO, Ment: OOO

"Xheina!" Coal said, stepping forward as she popped out of existence. But there was nothing to grab onto. She was just... gone. He reached out a hand to the place she just was and closed his eyes, trying to touch something, sense anything about where she'd gone. Spells like that left a mark, if only a small one, and only for a few seconds.

Filth, heat, the stench of death and decay and pollution.

Coal covered his mouth and coughed as he tried to compose himself. "Hive. She's back in the Hive." he managed to choke out. "Spirits, what kind of treasure guide takes you straight to the treasure? Isn't that cheating?"

---

Coal rolls Magic to sense where Xheina went. +//- +3 = 3!

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Map Investigations

Adamant smiles "Your next steps are among the trash beneath the Hive, a map, a device, a dead man's treasure. And off you go." The pie is cut and placed upon a nearby ledge. A sweet and savory smell wafts from the pie, and Xheina can see glazed cherries, chocolate cream, and pork all cooked within. It should smell and taste terrible, but Xheina can feel her mouth water, as the scent drowns out even the smell of filth and pollution of the Hive.

Adamant nods to Xheina. "Xheina the Mad this is not the first time we have met, and yet it is the first time you have met me. We shall meet again."

He nods to the pie, "feel free to share the pie with your friends when they get here, if they are willing. Perhaps you can read your map again as you eat."

And then he is gone. No smoke, no mirrors, no sound or flash of light, no stretching or shrinking. Nothing. One moment he is standing there talking to Xheina, and the next he is gone as if he had never existed. And Xheina might question her memory if not for the pie, still sitting nearby tantalizing her with its aroma.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Veodaal - FP: 4, Phys: OOOO, Ment: OOO, Consequences - / - / -

Veo just shakes his head and claps his palm over his eyes. "Then we had better begin looking at once." Offering another polite to Fall-From-Grace, he leads the way out of the Brothel and toward the Hive. "I'll start by asking after her."

The Hive

Veo approaches a likely-looking wiseguy and passes him the customary jinx. "Have you seen a colorful little ragamuffin with a shapechanging staff and an utter disregard for privacy or personal space? She'd stand out - she's a Xaositect, so she's a very particular sort of madwoman."

Contacts -+++ = 5 to figure out where the hell Xheina ended up.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Map Investigations

The man looks at the jink and licks his lips, but he is surprisingly honest. "Can't say that I have, hmm." He thinks for a moment, wracking his brain for a way to get some copper, most here probably wouldn't hesitate to lie for the coin, but this one at least seems to be thinking.

After a few minutes he goes "oh!" and slaps his head. "Old Bluey down by the Monastery was saying he saw some crazy woman appear from thin air, looking like she was stretched and squished before appearing before him. She had a crazed look in her eyes and was talking about pie. I think he sent her to Adamant."

He takes the coin for all of that, then looks as if he might be waiting for a little more, perhaps in exchange for some directions.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Veo's nostrils flare and his slitted eyes narrow with irritation, and he grudgingly passes the tiefling another coin for the directions. "Old Bluey" demands yet another when they reach the old monastery, so that by the time the adventurers happen upon Xheina, Veo is well and truly in an unpleasant mood. "There you are!" he exclaims, pointing a claw accusingly. "I know that was some dreadfully-tedious business back there, but that's no excuse for leaving the rest of us to it!"

He sniffs the air, then sneezes a puff of flame. "That smell..." *cough* *cough* "...is that the refuse or the pie?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Xheina van der Worrt

"Mad! Mad! That's not true at all! Or wasn't!" She walks over and picks up the plate. "I wasn't even irritated until he said that. How rude." She takes an experimental bite of the pie, and considers the matter carefully.

She's still taking experimental bites and contemplating the effect when the others turn up. "Oh there you are! You can refuse pie if you want, but I won't turn down a slice freely given. Anyways the guide brought me here. Well, technically it brought me over there-" she waves generally back in the direction of the Monastery "- and then I met a man Adamant that he'd met me but I hadn't met him, and he told me my next steps were among the trash beneath the Hiv, a map, a device, a dead man's treasure. So - treasure confirmed!"

Xheina walks over to the others. "I think we can find a way down if we go into the Monastery." She hands the pie to Gray and the spoon to Coal. "You two can sort this out."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Map Investigations

As Xheina takes a bite of the pie she finds it surprisingly tasty, despite the strange combination. She also finds each bite somehow tastes different than the last, new and fresh and always tasty. She also feels the map tingle and shift as she eats some of the pie.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Xheina van der Worrt

Xheina pulls the map out to watch it while she samples the pie. "Hey, watch this! Every time I have some pie the map changes." She sweeps a clear space off a convenient crate and spreads it out so everyone can see.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Map Investigations

Before Xheina's eyes the map changes, a building seems to form around the image of trash on the map. The more Xheina eats the more of the building becomes visible, and soon she sees a circular object on the map as well, if she squints it kind of looks like the pie tin she is holding.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Gray Lotwyver - FP: 7 / S: OOOO (P) / OOO (M) (-2/-4/-6)

Gray took one look at the pie, took one moment to process Xheina's words, and let out a long, long sigh. "I'm not even gonna bother arguing. All yours, pal." At the same time as he raised his left hand to his temple, with an expert flick of his right, the pie soared through the air...right towards Coal's face.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Aug 6, 2014

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Coal regarded the spoon with a raised eyebrow. Before he could even say anything to Gray, he was the sudden victim of pastry assault. Or he would have been, if he hadn't stepped backwards through reality and appeared on the other side of the large red Dragonman that said pastry was now careening directly towards.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

"So, this treasure is real, then?" Veo asks, peering down at the map over Xheina's shoulder (and head...and all of her, really. It's rather unavoidable, him being over eight feet tall). "And to complete the map, you need only to finish the-"

PIE.

The dragon's head snaps up and right at the flicker of movement in the corner of his vision, just in time for the vile confection to land squarely in his open mouth.

*Gulp!*

Veo reels, swaying on his feet. His wings spread wide, then seize and lock into an open position, while his spasmodically-thrashing tail begins to demolish the sides of the alleyway. His scarlet, slitted eyes roll and cross at random, neither quite in sync with the other. Veo's jaw hangs slack, and he issues a long, rattling, pained-sounding note.

Then, still facing directly at Gray, he vomits forth a geyser of polychromatic flame that burns with the cold un-fire of primeval, unshaped chaos; the vaporized remains of the unnatural pastry.

Its tin, perfectly-inoffensive and digestible, remains in Veo's stomach.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Gray Lotwyver - FP: 7 / S: OOOO (P) / OOO (M) (-2/-4/-6)

"OI!" Having fire vomited directly into his face did nothing to improve Gray's mood. The heat turned the air around him almost unbreathable, but a flash of steel split the blaze and kept him from being incinerated by it...if only just. "What's wrong with you, pal? Why'd you have to get the big dragonman involved in this? Did your sense of humor die with your bravery or something?" He called out, before sighing. "Sorry for the pie, Veo. I forgot we had a polymorphed chicken in the ranks. Won't happen again, bet on it." He said, giving the aforesaid chicken in disguise a withering glare.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

"If you can't take the dragonfire, don't throw the volatile baked goods." Coal said, dusting off his hands as he rejoined the group. "I was just putting a twist on it, Gray. You already used that joke when you threw K'irk at me. Don't get predictable, now."

He leaned over to look at the map, pointing at it with the spoon that he was still holding. "This Monastery is the one full of dead-and-undead folks isn't it? Yeaash."

<That's the Mortuary master.> Murray said, face-palming. (Face-pawing?)

"Oh, right." He looked up at the building. "Wonder what this place is for then, since there's no gods allowed."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Map Investigations

As the group talks about treasure a few rough and tumble types begin to edge nearer, likely planning a little smoglight robbery, that is until pies are thrown and flame is vomited. Then they just start walking away, whistling nonchalantly. No one really wants anything to do with clowns throwing pies, or people vomiting flame.

Meanwhile Xheina looks at the map, then at the Monastery, then around. The building doesn't look like the Monastery, or the Mortuary. It looks more like a smaller building, still definitely in the style of the Hive. Perhaps if they take investigate the various buildings around this area of the Hive they will find one that looks more like the one on the map?

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

"*A-hrm!* So! This map." An even darker shade of red than usual, Veo inelegantly directs the conversation away from his wounded dignity. "Extraordinarily-unhelpful, really. Look!" He waved, indicating the surrounding sprawl of eclectic, ramshackle construction. "None of the streets are labeled! How are we to find our way from a map with a bird's-eye perspective, without a bird's-eye..."

Veo blinks, trailing off as he slowly cranes his neck to look behind himself. "Oh." He flaps his wings, blowing away a circle of dust from the alley floor. "Right."

Taking to the air for a better look (and hopefully a lower difficulty), trying to find the building marked on the map: Notice ++/- +3 = 4, not bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Map Investigations

Veo takes to the air with the map, checking it against all the buildings below as he flies around. After a few minutes he believes he has found a building that looks fairly like the one on the map. Also his stomach is starting to feel, warm? That is odd.

• Locked thread