Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHU6K47qgc8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Propaganda Machine posted:

So kind of like Legends of the Hidden Temple?

Yeah, except this is totally arbitrary.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Tremendous Taste posted:

Tell you what

I challenge PM and YPM to a THREE WAY THUNDERDOME
yeah I think you're right and theyre both scum.
##vote Propaganda Machine

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I'm unsure on YPM but pm is lock tight scum

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
What about PM is so scummy that it's a tight lock? I'm a complete mafia novice so walk me through it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Mr. Maltose posted:

What about PM is so scummy that it's a tight lock? I'm a complete mafia novice so walk me through it.

They're just bitter. Everything on D1 is either based on gut intuition or comedy.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Later on, after people have been lynched, you can refer back to all this malarkey to try to deduce who the actual scum is.

I think not being a cast member of BYOB is scummy enough but what do I know I guess vOv

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, I didn't know if we were out of the JOKE PHASE or not.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I still don't know if Thunderdome is going to be enforced or what.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Why would TT be bitter?

##vote Propaganda Machine for now.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
For what it's worth I'm like 80% PM is town, and I'm always right about everything, so rethink your incorrect opinions

Disco Spider
Oct 31, 2012
80% is preeetty high, but I'm willing to trust TT at least this far, especially if he is so sure.

##vote Propaganda Machine

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

CapnAndy posted:

For what it's worth I'm like 80% PM is town, and I'm always right about everything, so rethink your incorrect opinions

I'm, like, 100% sure PM is town, but I can understand your slight hesitation.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

CapnAndy posted:

a real town player would be 70%
the fact you are 80% tells me you know for a fact PM is town
only scum would know for a fact someone is town

therefore
##vote capnandy

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
##vote CapnAndy for old times' sake.

Be back tomorrow.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Mr. Maltose posted:

There are many ways to play mafia. The SA Community Mafia tends to emphasize certain things I hold in disdain, but a better player and mod than I once told me the importance of tone in making reads. There's a certain level of sincerity that's very hard to convincingly adopt as scum, and what comes out instead, especially early on, is a slight awkwardness that can be lost in "meta" or "jokephase." As I chose to apply this :crow: advice here, I take

Flavor claiming this early? And who the hell are you anyway?

##vote tt

to be reflective of a desire to put pressure on me re: OP's warning against flavor claims. It's jerky in tone, but I see two possible scenarios.

1) PM wanted to put low-effort heat on me and see what happened without *really* sticking her neck out. A vote covered in jokephase is easily walked away from later even if I got lynched.
2) PM thought she had a slam dunk and sincerely believed I was foolishly flavor claiming. She believed this because she is not a boat.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
it was me i was that player

i am wise beyond my years

vote capnandy

i will teach you about the old ways of mafia if you do

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

mr.capps posted:

it was me i was that player

i am wise beyond my years

vote capnandy

i will teach you about the old ways of mafia if you do

yes that bird smilie was for you capps

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
one of my irl nicknames is birdman how did you know this fact??

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

mr.capps posted:

one of my irl nicknames is birdman how did you know this fact??

your gangly physique and horrific screech

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Oh god I cannot believe I'm putting effort into this

Tremendous Taste posted:

It's jerky in tone, but I see two possible scenarios.

1) PM wanted to put low-effort heat on me and see what happened without *really* sticking her neck out. A vote covered in jokephase is easily walked away from later even if I got lynched.

I just wanted to do something. This particular game of Mafia is sillier than most.

quote:

2) PM thought she had a slam dunk and sincerely believed I was foolishly flavor claiming. She believed this because she is not a boat.

Oh wow, you're a psychic!

As covered earlier, scum are most likely subs, also a kind of boat. Again, I just thought this was funny from a hypersensitive Mafia standpoint.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

knock it off and vote someone in the thunderdome

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Oh god I cannot believe I'm putting effort into this

I just wanted to do something. This particular game of Mafia is sillier than most.

Oh wow, you're a psychic!

As covered earlier, scum are most likely subs, also a kind of boat. Again, I just thought this was funny from a hypersensitive Mafia standpoint.

and yet you are putting effort into defending yourself rather than scum hunting. If you're going to thunderdome put forward a case on why ypm or I are better lynch cases than yourself.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

So, someone tell me what flavor claiming is?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
instead of claiming your role (the powers and what it does) you would be claiming your flavor (the character/thing you are and the fluff that goes with it)

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

IcePhoenix, Maltose, Capps, Wind, Andy

OBEY THE THUNDERDOME

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
tt is being too prissy pissy to be scum

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Dude, I agreed to the Thunderdome because it would have been horrible not to.

It seems like something you just threw out there as defense against PMYPM leading a very weak charge against you. It was very very overly sensitive of you and I really don't know why you would do it if you're town.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
:shrugs:
##vote YPM

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

mr.capps posted:

instead of claiming your role (the powers and what it does) you would be claiming your flavor (the character/thing you are and the fluff that goes with it)

This is done as a form of distraction? An easier lie to sell?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Dude, I agreed to the Thunderdome because it would have been horrible not to.

It seems like something you just threw out there as defense against PMYPM leading a very weak charge against you. It was very very overly sensitive of you and I really don't know why you would do it if you're town.

I'm sure you're scum and want to make sure town doesn't let you off the hook. YPM has his hangups with me so I included him for posterity

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

King Burgundy posted:

some people are really lovely at making up their own flavor and just go with what they mod tells them

then i call them out on it but before i get the chance to i am killed by a day vig and nobody actually watches pushing daises but me so no one realizes that guy claimed a bad guy and then i scream and shout but it doesn't matter because i am dead

and then we lose the game

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Tremendous Taste posted:

I'm sure you're scum and want to make sure town doesn't let you off the hook. YPM has his hangups with me so I included him for posterity

If a one-off jokepost is absolutely irrefutable proof to you that I am not town, I'm just not sure what to tell you. Busting your rear end for a flavorclaim doesn't mean that I was SHOCKED to find out you were a loving boat in a game of BATTLESHIP MAFIA.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tremendous Taste posted:

OBEY THE THUNDERDOME

My vote and reasoning are sound :colbert:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Tremendous Taste posted:

OBEY THE THUNDERDOME

Yeah this reeks of desperation.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

King Burgundy posted:

The scum characters often have a theme (proposed themes so far in this game: spaceships, submarines, not-a-ship-at all). If I was scum and wanted people to think I was town, I couldn't say the actual flavour of my role. They'd know I was scum as soon as they figured out the scum theme. To make them think I was town, I might claim that I am a boat, a real boat, a boat what floats. To make it sound convincing, I would come up with the name of a specific boat and say I was that boat. This could backfire if someone else is that specific boat.

When someone gets night killed, you may see them described as a bunch of question marks rather than what role they are. This usually has to do with scum trying to generate a safe flavour claim for themselves.

There are other reasons to flavour claim but this is the basic one.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Yeah this reeks of desperation.

TT isn't even in desperation mode yet

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

If a one-off jokepost is absolutely irrefutable proof to you that I am not town, I'm just not sure what to tell you. Busting your rear end for a flavorclaim doesn't mean that I was SHOCKED to find out you were a loving boat in a game of BATTLESHIP MAFIA.

the fact you think that was a flavorclaim is ridiculous if sincere

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

mr.capps posted:

TT isn't even in desperation mode yet

:gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

IcePhoenix posted: