Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacemarine9
Feb 24, 2013

Official Website -- Steam page

What is Sunless Sea?
A 2D story-driven exploration game by Failbetter Games, creators of Fallen London and the Storynexus engine. The game is set in the same universe as Fallen London, but instead of being a free to play browser game it's a full-fledged standalone experience. Playing Fallen London isn't necessary to enjoy the game, although it helps if you want to have a greater understanding of the setting. The game's release date is the 6th of February 2015, although there will be post-launch content updates and an expansion allowing you to travel below the waves in a zubmarine.

Here's a trailer;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhIk2PqPU3o

Gameplay
The gameplay consists of a fusion between a top-down sailing game a story engine, similar to Storynexus with some heavy modifications. You need to manage Terror and Hunger lest you go mad and be forced to turn to cannibalism on the darkness of the Zee. The combat system is a fairly simplistic business; keep your enemies in the arc of your guns to charge up a shot, and then fire when you get the chance. The more you charge, the more likely it is you'll land a hit. Here's a short video explaining the whole thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VlIENkbQqg

The combat is mostly an interlude, though; the real meat of the game lies in the many islands on the Unterzee. Every port has stories to tell, opportunities for profit and secrets to be uncovered. And there's rather a lot of story there; more than two hundred thousand words, and it's still growing.

Most actions in the game rely on five stats; Hearts, Veils, Iron, Pages and Mirrors. They can be raised by hiring new officers, spending items or installing new equipment on your ship such as guns and engines. Each stat governs some facet of gameplay; evasion (Veils), Terror management (Hearts), combat (Iron), Illumination and observation (Mirrors) and knowledge and Secret production (Pages).

The game can be rather unforgiving, especially at first. You will, very probably die several times. Maybe more than several times. But death is not quite the end; you can pass down one thing to your next captain; two, if you managed to successfully start a family. You can preserve 50% of a stat, and each stat brings some other benefit with it. If your Captain wrote a will, you can also pass down upgraded Lodgings and Heirlooms, which can be sold for an initial stat bump. You may also find certain Legacy items, which will improve all of your future captains.

However, the Unterzee shuffles around with the death of each captain unless you choose to preserve your old captain's chart. Things stay in roughly the same position, though; anything on the coast will stay on the coast, anything on the North border will stay somewhere on the North border, and things tend to stay roughly the same distance away from London, even if their actual positions change somewhat

Roadmap
The game is almost entirely finished now; some additional content will be added post-launch, and there's at least one expansion planned for the future. The game is almost entirely completed; but you can still see the roadmap here. The game received a whole lot of content updates during development; these are likely to continue post-launch. The full changelog of those content patches and any more to come is available here.

Why should I buy this game?
If you like reading words, you will probably like this game! Especially if you're a fan of interactive fiction; several islands have been guest-written by noted IF authors Emily Short and Meg Jayanth.
The game does feature trading mechanics, but it's not really a game about trading; not the next Patrician or Port Royale, in other words. The game is very much about finding new places, with new experiences and stories to tell; though there is still a trading economy of sorts, it's not the intended route to fortune.
Seriously, though, the game's atmosphere and sense of place are incredible. There's no one overarching plot tying everything together, though; consider it like a collection of interconnected short stories, rather than one entire novel. There is a "main story" route, of sorts, but it's more about individual stories; the personal stories of your officers and the locational stories of each island, as well as the stories you make for yourself along the way.

Zail?
Yes. On the Unterzee.

Why's it so hard to make money?
It can be kind of rough starting out, still, I will admit. Whether or not dying a whole bunch at the start is the intended system is debatable, I guess, but there are a lot of ways to make cash now, even early on. Exploration is key, though; if you're running a trade route over and over again for meagre Echo profits, you've probably gone wrong somewhere. Don't be afraid to take risks! Dying over and over to try and get to grips with the game probably isn't everyone's cup of tea, after all. Here are a few tips and guides to help you light the way through the darkness. In no particular order, these things may be helpful;

• Intelligence gathering and Port Reports are probably the strongest way to get a little bit of starting capital.
  • Stick near the coasts and other landmasses to reduce Terror buildup.
  • At first, your prow light is the biggest devourer of Fuel; turning it off will let you save an awful lot. Try not to let Terror get too high; past 50, you have the chance to get Nightmares when you return to London, past 70 or so you'll start to encounter hazard events and at 100 you'll end up with a mutiny on your hands; a game-over, if you don't pass a stat check. That said, Terror can be mitigated fairly easily now, so don't be too worried about it.
  • Combat is actually fairly useful as a Terror reducer; even easy creatures like zee-bats and crabs can reduce it by 5 points or so, not to mention any benefits from the dead creature itself.
  • Opening the University should be a high priority; it lets you sell plenty of things to get cash money. It's not a tremendously good idea to sell Tales of Terror, Zee-Ztories and Memories of Distant Shores, though; they tend to have other uses.
  • Make use of Hunter's Keep while you can; stopping off there can reduce Terror and Hunger, and get you Supplies and zee-god Attention. Salt's Attention from Cynthia is pretty useful; you can use it at the Salt Lions to get an Extraordinary Implication.
  • If you can find the Salt Lions, you can deliver a few loads of Sphinxstone to make a lot of easy money. You don't get that many deliveries; 2-5, depending on your luck, but it's an extremely good way to start off. You need 200 Echoes to start off, though.
  • The final Sphinxstone delivery gives an extremely large payout, but may be located anywhere from London to Irem. The cash from the deliveries should let you afford to make the trip. If it helps, Adam's Way is always on the southern coast, and Irem is always in the top right corner; the Chelonate's position is random, but it's generally somewhere in the last two columns of the map. If you toss the Sphinxstone overboard, you can pick it up again at the Salt Lions, though you will need to pay up again.
  • The initial quest for dropping off a Tomb-Colonist in Venderbight is a good way to get a small starting bump; but if it seems too difficult or expensive, you can put it off. The important part is picking up the First Curator's quest; it can give you an awful lot of money in very short order.
  • Finding the Avid Horizon early can be a tremendous boon; it's always somewhere on the top row, but on some maps it can spawn very far away. Still, if it shows up nearby, you can get a Hunter's Eye easily for the First Curator. You're given one "Beginner's Luck" item cache per game; if you use this at the Avid Horizon, there's a chance you can find an Eyeless Skull, which the First Curator will also accept. If you luck out, you can make 2000 echoes with very minimal effort.
  • Using Admiralty's Favour early on to get Fuel is a pretty good idea; it's hard to cover the expenses at first, and you won't need it for much later on.
  • If your Admiralty's Favour is less than 3, you will always be sent to Demeaux Island or the Corsair's Forest for your first Intelligence-gathering mission.
  • You don't need to submit Strategic Information from the Admiralty Commissions straight away. It's generally a good idea to try and get two if you can afford to; you can use them from your Hold to create Vital Intelligence, which is worth more and unlocks Spycraft options.
  • The Merchant Venturer is a pretty great way to get extra money; you can sometimes obtain the items he's asking for in London, but it's almost always a better idea to find them elsewhere.
  • Talk to your officers! They all have stories to pursue, and all of them provide rewards, be they rare items, upgrades or just improved versions of the officer.
  • The Genial Magician's story is a pretty good one to start off with; it's not terribly long or expensive, and allows you to build the Serpentine engine, which comes with good stat boosts and innate efficiency.
  • Buying new engines is often not a tremendously good idea unless you have a whole lot of money to spend and nowhere to spend it; the increase in speed is fairly marginal, but the increased fuel costs can bite.
  • Several islands have stories that can be completed in one or two trips; Nuncio, Visage, Pigmote Isle and a few others. If you can find them early on, they can provide a powerful capital bump.
  • Also notable is Varchas; it can take three or four trips, but leave you extremely well off by the end. Make sure to sleep in the inn at least once; you'll get a Terror bump, but you can talk about Dreams of Smoke with the Sun-Priests to get a Mirror Charm afterwards, which the First Curator will want.
  • Sunlight Smuggling is no longer a method to get a million echoes in ten seconds (approximately), but it's still a pretty potent way of accumulating funds. Take Mirrorcatch Boxes from Khan's Shadow to the Surface, bring the resulting sunlight to the Blind Bruiser or the Isle of Cats, get paid. Every box increases a menace quality by 4-7; ill effects start to kick in over 100, 140 is pretty hazardous, at 200 you can't visit the Surface any more. Resting in your lodgings decreases the menace by a little.
  • A little cannibalism goes a long way.

Guides

IRC Channel
There's an IRC channel for the game on irc.synirc.net, channel name #SunlessSea.

Spacemarine9 fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I brought this a few days ago. Quiet a fun game. After many deaths I finally managed to buy the town house and a will for my inevitable death. Its going to suck when I do die as I have two officers I want to keep and some stats as well

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Stevefin posted:

I brought this a few days ago. Quiet a fun game. After many deaths I finally managed to buy the town house and a will for my inevitable death. Its going to suck when I do die as I have two officers I want to keep and some stats as well

I always keep the charts from life to life, but I think I've explored the extent of the early release. It seems to be around half the entire map, maybe a little less. You'll eventually find featureless islands and sea creatures that are literally moving words coming toward you.

I don't think that the game economy has been balanced at all. I know there's supposed to be a big trading element in it, but yeah, it's not there in any real way that I've discovered. Money is hard to come by in large amount.

Fun game, though. Addicting.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Blue Raider posted:

I always keep the charts from life to life, but I think I've explored the extent of the early release. It seems to be around half the entire map, maybe a little less. You'll eventually find featureless islands and sea creatures that are literally moving words coming toward you.

I don't think that the game economy has been balanced at all. I know there's supposed to be a big trading element in it, but yeah, it's not there in any real way that I've discovered. Money is hard to come by in large amount.

Fun game, though. Addicting.

I did for my first few plat through and was wondering why I was not unlocking secrets as fast, than did not take the charts for next game, and piled up on secrets.

I have found one lucrative trade route ingame but it does not last forever as an event triggers and makes the run unavailable after 200 days as a captain in the Zee

the two crew members I wan to save is the 'scarred sister', as she is a random event story officer, and 'maybe's daughter' who is imo the best engineer at 6 veil, 3 iron and +100 to engine horse power :v:

Spacemarine9
Feb 24, 2013
The map isn't actually randomised at the minute, so taking the Chart does nothing except deprive you of Fragments, which aren't really all that easy to get in any major quantity to start with.
Passing down a high stat is usually the best option, but there are a few pretty good Officers that are kinda hard to come by as well.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Stevefin posted:

I have found one lucrative trade route ingame but it does not last forever as an event triggers and makes the run unavailable after 200 days as a captain in the Zee

the two crew members I wan to save is the 'scarred sister', as she is a random event story officer, and 'maybe's daughter' who is imo the best engineer at 6 veil, 3 iron and +100 to engine horse power :v:

What island was that route out of, or is it random do you think? I haven't messed around with trading very much because, in my experience, it's either nonexistant or close to a 1-to-1 price ratio.

The best officer I've found is the Brisk Campaigner, a doctor with 6 heart and 3 iron. I'm gonna miss her when I die.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Blue Raider posted:

What island was that route out of, or is it random do you think? I haven't messed around with trading very much because, in my experience, it's either nonexistant or close to a 1-to-1 price ratio.

The best officer I've found is the Brisk Campaigner, a doctor with 6 heart and 3 iron. I'm gonna miss her when I die.

Its mushroom wine from fallen londen to godsfall , they will only take it in stakes of 5 but will pay at a high price. its an event choice in the harbor and not a merchant choice, They will pay 130-150 per 5, I can't remember as I am past day 200 now

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Has there been any news on whether or not updates would break saves? Because I think I have a pretty good collection of officers (both Maybe's Daughter AND the Brisk Campaigner), and I don't want to lose them all :(

Spacemarine9
Feb 24, 2013
Updates are intended to be forward-compatible for the forseeable future, although you might run into a little weirdness with charts (and log dates if you're using a hella old save).

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I like how this game is advertised. "Eat your crew"!

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary
Hows the combat in this game? I would rather a choose your own adventure style game than a bunch of combat. If theres not a ton I will probably pick it up. Seeing the choices is reminding me of King Of Dragon Pass, which I adore.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Galactic posted:

Hows the combat in this game? I would rather a choose your own adventure style game than a bunch of combat. If theres not a ton I will probably pick it up. Seeing the choices is reminding me of King Of Dragon Pass, which I adore.

It's a cool down, kind of turn based thing. Not very good, IMO. I've yet to even be close to upgrading to the level of most enemy ships and monsters. Fortunately, everything can be dodged pretty easily.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Spacemarine9 posted:

The map isn't actually randomised at the minute, so taking the Chart does nothing except deprive you of Fragments, which aren't really all that easy to get in any major quantity to start with.
Passing down a high stat is usually the best option, but there are a few pretty good Officers that are kinda hard to come by as well.
Does passing down a skill locks a base stat then? I wasn't sure what it did. I don't think there are that many officers and you can get officers pretty much as quickly as you can get 50-60 echoes (that's maybe 2-3 tomb trips with your starting boat, or a little more than one captured pirate ship).

Galactic posted:

It's basically FTL combat. You can avoid it with some decent engines, but unless you abuse the bug in the Admiralty then it's going to take a while to get enough cash. I'm barely keeping myself in fuel, and terror management requires dropping a ton of cash. At port you get a chance at losing 5 terror for 30 echoes.

Spacemarine9
Feb 24, 2013
Passing down a skill lets your new character start with one boosted base stat from your old character; so if you choose to pass down an Iron stat of 60 then your next character will start with 60 base iron.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

unless you abuse the bug in the Admiralty then it's going to take a while to get enough cash. I'm barely keeping myself in fuel, and terror management requires dropping a ton of cash. At port you get a chance at losing 5 terror for 30 echoes.

That Admirality money bug is like a month old by now, dang. You should probably update (unless you're talking about some new, completely different Admirality money bug I guess); Terror management is... different in the newest version. It's not a whole lot easier to reduce in port, but your Terror gets reset to 50 every time you return to London and Terror events are a lot rarer (though they can have unexpected stings in the tail, like consuming the Attention of a zee-god)

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

It's basically FTL combat. You can avoid it with some decent engines, but unless you abuse the bug in the Admiralty then it's going to take a while to get enough cash. I'm barely keeping myself in fuel, and terror management requires dropping a ton of cash. At port you get a chance at losing 5 terror for 30 echoes.

A good reliable way to reduce a little terror is to eat lunch with the middle sister at Hunter's Keep. The other 2 sisters will raise terror or not effect it, but the happy sister always drops it by like 10 points.

Also, the cheapest buyable fuel in the game right now (that I know of) is at Mt. Palmerson for 9 echos.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I bought this because I dug FTL and Star Control's clever writing and charm, and this seemed similar from what I've read. I figured risk of buying into an early access was not so great from Kickstarter testimony, the devs seem pretty devoted to timely updates and excellent communication/support.

I'm 30 minutes in and haven't even left port, yet I can tell the writing/style is going to be :3: the heck out of me.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Blue Raider posted:

A good reliable way to reduce a little terror is to eat lunch with the middle sister at Hunter's Keep. The other 2 sisters will raise terror or not effect it, but the happy sister always drops it by like 10 points.

Also, the cheapest buyable fuel in the game right now (that I know of) is at Mt. Palmerson for 9 echos.

I do love Hunter's Keep, yes.

And the fuel thing makes sense lorewise, it's the biggest Brass Embassy on the Unterzee.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Roumba posted:

I bought this because I dug FTL and Star Control's clever writing and charm, and this seemed similar from what I've read. I figured risk of buying into an early access was not so great from Kickstarter testimony, the devs seem pretty devoted to timely updates and excellent communication/support.

I'm 30 minutes in and haven't even left port, yet I can tell the writing/style is going to be :3: the heck out of me.

Yeah, I bought it on a whim, and I'm super into it. It speaks to me so much more than FTL did (though I still loved that game) - it kind of seems like the Pirates! successor I've been wanting for years. Combat's not great, but it's also such a small part of the game that it doesn't bother me. The feeling of exploration, the atmosphere, the variety in events and story sequences, this game loving rules.

Obvious problem right now is that money's so hard to come by. I died in my last game simply because I ran out of fuel, because the admiralty stopped giving me missions, so there was no quick, obvious way to get cash, so I was basically poo poo out of luck even though I was sitting in the London drydock.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I just made the mistake of letting Terror tick up to 100 whilst a long way from home and it is... Not recommended. I had a mutiny and was forced to kill 2/3 of my crew which left me limping home at half speed with terror increasing far faster than normal. Thankfully I managed to recruit somebody on the way at the fungal station or that might have been a game over right there.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I do love Hunter's Keep, yes.

And the fuel thing makes sense lorewise, it's the biggest Brass Embassy on the Unterzee.

The fuel thing is more likely because its a volcano, I guess. The Brimstone Convention is actually directly opposed to the Brass Embassy, they're Hell's former nobility, holed up on Mt. Palmerston.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Varinn posted:

The fuel thing is more likely because its a volcano, I guess. The Brimstone Convention is actually directly opposed to the Brass Embassy, they're Hell's former nobility, holed up on Mt. Palmerston.

Oh, whoops. I understood that ingame but never finished processing the ramifications.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I wish there were better in game directions to major ports. The Tomb Colonies weren't hard to find. I was told they were up north and that's where they were, but I sailed all over looking for that mountain where the devils live or whatever.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Roumba posted:

You're in for a treat. Failbetter's writing staff is very good at very dry wit through a phantasmagoric lens... and at madness drowning in a few inches of laudanum. They're drawing on years worth of lore from their Fallen London webgame, which I suggest looking into as well if you don't mind that sort of thing.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I wish there were better in game directions to major ports. The Tomb Colonies weren't hard to find. I was told they were up north and that's where they were, but I sailed all over looking for that mountain where the devils live or whatever.

Try going north from Venderbight until you reach Whithier/Codex, then head east, past the Chapel of Lights, until you get a message about Palmerston's Reach.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Where exactly are the tomb colonies anyway? I got that mission early on and couldn't find anything else meaningful to do, so I ended up spending all my fuel exploring anywhere that could pass for North looking for that drat place and eventually got eaten by some horrible thing.

Also I discovered that turning your lights off will conserve a hell of a lot of fuel, but it'll also make your terror go up faster.

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 6, 2014

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Varinn posted:

Try going north from Venderbight until you reach Whithier/Codex, then head east, past the Chapel of Lights, until you get a message about Palmerston's Reach.
For now. Once the map randomizes it's going to be way harder to get anywhere with the vague non-directions the writing has now.

Nastyman posted:

Where exactly are the tomb colonies anyway? I got that mission early on and couldn't find anything else meaningful to do, so I ended up spending all my fuel exploring anywhere that could pass for North looking for that drat place and eventually got eaten by some horrible thing.

Also I discovered that turning your lights off will conserve a hell of a lot of fuel, but it'll also make your terror go up faster.
Follow the coast. You should always jump from coast to coast and light to light anyway. Sailing in the darkness is a luxury your terror meter can't afford to sustain, and should only be done on Ahead Full.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Follow the coast. You should always jump from coast to coast and light to light anyway. Sailing in the darkness is a luxury your terror meter can't afford to sustain, and should only be done on Ahead Full.

There are a few places that it can't be helped like what's currently the eastern regions.

I've kept my current captain alive long enough to see some of the different islands' plot threads play out somewhat, and it's really cool. Hunter's Keep is especially intense.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Why does pressing the F key make my ship blow up and my crew die? How do I turn it off once I've accidentally activated it?

Also, traveling is exceedingly tedious.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Mauser posted:

Why does pressing the F key make my ship blow up and my crew die? How do I turn it off once I've accidentally activated it?

the F key is packing your engine with even more fuel to unsafe levels for a little more speed

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
terror seems exceptionally difficult/expensive to disperse but really easy to get? is it just a foregone conclusion that my first character is going to go insane if i don't crash into a giant crab or something

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

To be clear, if you 'fail' when carousing in London, you mostly lose 3 terror instead of 5. There are some critical failures you can hit but they are way more rare than simply failing.

Blue Raider posted:

The youngest sister will reduce Terror by 5 points. It's only the oldest that will raise it by 1. Also, be careful - Hunter's Keep will not last forever.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

That's, for better or for worse, part of the point. The entire reason the Admirality pays for port reports is because appropriate charts of the Unterzee are pretty rare, so it's not like they can just dispatch a fast mail pinnace with 2 zailors to get news.

Mauser posted:

Check your buttons at the bottom. F is for [F]ull power, which is supposed to make your engine get you going faster at the expensive of the risk of a fire. The problem is that storylet seems broken so pretty much every time you hit F you get at least one fire, and probably 2 or 3.

It's a nice way to murder your own crew if you ever feel a need for that though.

Verviticus posted:

terror seems exceptionally difficult/expensive to disperse but really easy to get? is it just a foregone conclusion that my first character is going to go insane if i don't crash into a giant crab or something
This I feel is the biggest thing that the game doesn't properly explain right now. Basically, if you are away from light or the shore, your terror is going to click up. So the appropriate way to navigate the Unterzee is to hop from land mass to land mass, and light buoy to light buoy. Direct-plotted courses, which are the norm in normal sailing, are to be avoided unless you are seriously concerned about your fuel or supplies not lasting you back to the nearest friendly port. This makes a ton of sense if you stop to consider the game's setting - the Unterzee is almost completely black. Without your glim-lamp or running lights, you cannot see your hand in front of your face most times. And even with those things, you can't see a hell of a lot. And it is a proven fact that there are horrible, horrible things out there in the blackness that would just love to murder the absolute poo poo out of you. There are crabs bigger than your ship that consider humans a tasty snack. There are flocks of bloodsucking bats that would be happy to swarm over your ship and eat anything they can get their disgusting fangs on including your face. There are literal living icebergs that exist only to murder anything that comes close. Oh, and, of course, there are pirates that would just as soon butcher you as look at you. The darkness hides a lot of things that are super loving scary, so in this setting, if you're not afraid of the dark, you are a loving idiot.

Anyway, terror both is and isn't a big deal to get rid of. 'Safe' terror levels are under 50. Over 50 there are a couple of consequences. Zee-creatures get additional abilities, mostly Smell Fear, which is a slightly better version of Seek. This isn't that big of a deal, however, as Smell Fear is currently bugged in a lot of weird ways. Sometimes it will lock up zee-creatures for like, no reason, other times the will do nothing but spam the hell out of it to the exclusion of things like attacking if your terror is very, very high. Maintaining over 50 terror will also mean that when you return to London with the Something Awaits You storylet, you will sometimes develop a recurring nightmare that can be a bit of a pain in your rear end. This again, however, is not a big deal. The real problem is that if you get to very high terror (90+) you run the risk of some seriously bad poo poo like mutinies, which will totally end your game.

The basic answer to your question is no, though, I am currently playing a 'first run' character and I'm well on my way to retiring in luxury. There is a basic choice in attitude you have to take with regard to terror, though, and it revolves around the question: Is 50 terror low enough for your tastes?
1) Yes? OK. The best way to handle Terror, then, is to just not worry about it too much. Simply commit to returning to London to offload your terror the same way you buy more fuel and supplies. Returning to London with over 50 terror and the Something Awaits You storylet will immediately reduce your terror to 50. You will be playing closer to the edge here, however. Misplanning your voyage and getting even 5-10 more terror than you'd expected could spell doom for you. You will also want to make sure you get a Restful Night (sleep in your own room) every time you return to London. Taking advantage of London's unique terror reducing trait like this will mean you will eventually get recurring nightmares. Restful Nights, gained from your room, will help you beat them.
2) No? OK. Then you will need to spend more time earning echoes, most probably on farming enemies that give good poo poo or wine runs to Godfall to make sure you have enough money to carouse in London. Note that every time you return to London with Something Awaits You, it increments the Time, the Healer storylet, which will eventually make the wine run to Godfall not worth it. Therefore, you must avoid returning to London with Something Awaits You unless you're ready to make a purchase like an officer or something. Carousing in London is the most echo-efficient way to reduce terror. In most bad cases it will be 1 terror for 10e, same as sleeping in your room. In the majority of good cases, it will be 1 terror for 6e. This has the chance to be even more efficient if you have a sweetheart in London, as you will run a random chance to run into them and get another 2 terror reduction for free. This path will make your game longer, but far safer overall.

For my part, playing through the first time, I've preferred to spend on carousing. I think as I get more experienced I will eventually stop caring about terror and treating it as a 'time to go home' meter. The nightmares aren't really bad news right now as long as you have a halfway decent doctor on board and the restful night storylet. It is also worth noting that terror becomes less of an issue as you get more powerful engines, as you're able to go from buoy to buoy much faster, which means that you spend less time in the dark, and, therefore, less time accumulating terror.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 6, 2014

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

This looks pretty neat. I haven't heard of it or the dev or their previous work. Looks like I'll be busy tonight!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
yeah the terror thing is making more sense to me. it seems like a weird and irritating minigame to turn your lights on and off to conserve fuel without hitting 9 terror dots, considering how plodding movement in this game already is. thanks for the write-up

the time thing you mentioned in relation to "something awaits you" - does this tick up naturally? if i just gently caress around without accomplishing much am I wasting vital optimization time

fuel: is there a better way to get it like there is for supplies (murder bats)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Time, The Healer only ticks up when you return to London with S.A.Y. active, I believe.

You can occasionally get a cache of fuel from murdering pirates or lifebergs, but generally speaking you should bargain on buying it. Ditto with supplies, really. Murdering bats is a good way to get some extra supplies, but unless you are already doing a run up to the tomb colonies to drop off some colonists they're not worth farming since it can be really difficult to get them to attack you in an area where you're not ticking up terror. Your crew doesn't eat that much compared to how much fuel you burn anyway, so supplies are like, the smallest expense you have.

I also don't bother with clicking my light on and off or whatever. I like the challenge involved in cutting corners or making a quick veer out to do something without gaining too much terror, but fuel itself is not expensive enough in the long term to worry about conserving it that aggressively.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 6, 2014

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Coolguye posted:

Your crew doesn't eat that much compared to how much fuel you burn anyway, so supplies are like, the smallest expense you have.

its based on how much crew you have, right? when i fell down to one crew (without realizing the penalties) my supplies weren't getting reduced at all

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

For now. Once the map randomizes it's going to be way harder to get anywhere with the vague non-directions the writing has now.

That explains a lot. And apparently Venderbight is the name of the Tomb Colonies :suicide: Don't know how I missed that the first time I went there.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I have pretty high hopes for the game and their little release roadmap section on the website seems pretty well situated and bodes well for them actually going all the way with this thing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I tried out Fallen London, and it would probably be really cool if it weren't so loving grindy. I love Sunless Sea, but I don't think I have the patience for that.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Verviticus posted:

its based on how much crew you have, right? when i fell down to one crew (without realizing the penalties) my supplies weren't getting reduced at all

Yeah, your hunger goes up based on how many zailors you have. There's no harm working with a minimal crew of 5 if you know what you're doing and don't get anyone killed, but even at 10 people tend to eat fairly slowly so I tend to not worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

I tried out Fallen London, and it would probably be really cool if it weren't so loving grindy. I love Sunless Sea, but I don't think I have the patience for that.

The writing, setting, scenarios, etc. of Fallen London are all amazing. I was pretty obsessed for like a month until I reached the point where I couldn't do anything without intense grinding.

The equivalent to grinding in Sunless Sea seems to plodding ship movement. I know its not a game where you zip around Diablo style, but its a tweak that could do a lot to enhance enjoyment.

• Locked thread