Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

(ooc thread)

[Monsterhearts] Welcome to Morrowdale
Season 1: Smells Like Teen Spirits

It's the second week of the school year, the time of year where early optimism is replaced by the dread of another year of drudgery. This time, however, there was no early optimism. As each student crossed the newly installed metal detectors at the entrance to Morrowdale High, they seemed to undergo a transformation. The installation serves as an inconvenient reminder of last year's tragedy, and the presence of police as hall monitors do little to ease the tension.

All the same, life goes on, even for some who are dead. The day begins with Homeroom, a "general purpose" class that is as much meant to keep students out of their parents' hair for that much longer as it is meant to pass on any skills or knowledge.

The first bell has rung and most students have made it to their assigned seats, but activity won't die down until the second bell rings, signifying that it is time to recite the Pledge of Allegiance and begin class.

Soft spoken Mr. O'Neill sits at his desk facing the class, greeting each student as they enter. Most ignore him, though a few wave or return the greeting.

Mira
Sitting at the back of the class, you're lucky enough to have one of your clique next to you. To your left is Alicia, deftly tapping away at her phone's touch screen as usual. You're glad to have one of your own nearby, though you are still a little miffed at her. Why is that?

To your right is Darius Culpepper. You think your dad hates his dad.

Your about to send out an early morning text, just one of many you're sure to generate throughout the day, when the tell-tale tone of a message received is emitted from your phone. The text is from Bradley Greene, freckle-faced defensive lineman for the Morrowdale Marauders. "hey did u thnk about wut i asked?" He waves at you from across the classroom.

Darius
To your left is Mira Eriksson. You think your dad hates her dad.

To your right is curly-haired Grace Clark, and today she will not be ignored! "C'mon, man, I know your loaded. Just $5, you won't even miss it. C'mon!" It's pretty cheeky of her, considering she hasn't paid you back the last time you lent her money. Is she just a freeloader or what?

Delilah
Sitting in the middle of the class, Grace is chatting at Darius Culpepper behind you. She usually engages you in conversation every morning, but she hasn't seemed to notice you yet.

Oh, but there's Shirley Lane to your right. "Hi, Delilah!" she chirps at you, "You won't believe what happened last night. I was soooo angry with my dad last night, he was just being so... ugh, well it doesn't matter. Anyway, I was about to go to bed all mad when I just heard God's voice telling me 'is this the humility I taught you?' And He was right? You know? He... was... so... right... Hey, how's your dad doing?"

Shirley is always at the front of the sanctuary on Sunday's, singing the loudest and the first to fall to the floor when everyone starts speaking in tongues. As such, she has designated herself your best friend.

To your left is an incomprehensible pattern of wheels and cogs within cogs and wheels, grinding together to what end you can only speculate. It's many wings part, a reminder of God's might and a reminder that you have 7 days left. 7 days left until what?

In front of you is ... actually, you can't remember her name, but you have spoken before. The pale one.

Ophelia

You're dead. I know it and you know it. And yet here you are again, in class. The front of the class even. Behind you is Delilah. She owes some debts, but you think you can save her.

To your left is Claire, one of those girls always texting with that frosty swedish chick. Every morning she looks at you like it's the first time she's ever seen you, looks you up and down, then smirks like she saw something gross and funny before turning to her phone. This morning is a little different though. First-time look... up-and-down glance... then she stops at your sweatshirt. "Ew, girl, frumpy clothes are bad enough, but are those holes? We gotta get you into something a little less Nirvana, you know what I mean?" She reaches out like she's going to touch your clothes.

To your right Luca Brown-- wait my mistake. To your right is Joe Summers. You don't really know him well, but his dad lost his job last year and now his family is officially Poor. You've seen the looks the students give him when he passes by. They used to give you those looks.

100 degrees Calcium fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

quote:

NPCs

Grace Clark: Blamed
Delilah's best friend. Once close to two of Ophelia's victims.

Alicia Flawed | Claire Blamed | Jennifer:
Mira's clique. Loved by most.

Joe Summers:
His father used to work for the Culpeppers, now out of work. Officially Poor.

Shirley: Bible-thumped
Pious, obnoxious, Methodist.

Big D:
Held back two years. Holds Darius Culpepper responsible for his brother's recent unemployment streak.

Principle Li:
Imagine a voice moaning "Morrowdale High" forever.

The Emissary: Delilah 4
Infinite, beautiful, claims to know the LORD

Luca Brown

Nurse Manson:
Tender caretaker of all students in need of medical aid. Maybe a little too tender.

Emily Barassa:
She has really clear skin and a bone structure to die for.

The Twins: Last Year's Model
James and Jim, leaders of The Lost Boys. Eager to reclaim their place as kings of the school and show Mira her place in the process.

Bradley Green: Dismissed
Defensive Lineman for the Morrowdale Marauders. A tad bit interested in Mira... or her clique?

Craig Wallace: Social Pariah
School clown and master rumor monger

CC: Darius 1; Shut The gently caress Up
<plaidmage> danny devilo

Melody: One Of Them
Ophelia's wolfy punk friend and also the latest member of Mira's gang?

100 degrees Calcium fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 10, 2014

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Ophelia learned a long time ago that people don't really notice her, and now that she's dead, their eyes just slide right past her like a CEO's past a food bank. No one recognizes her as the strange, sad girl who shot up the school last year. Half of her is glad she's escaped their judgement. The other half is miserable that she's escaped their judgement. Sometimes she attends classes, milling from room to room, barely absorbing any of the lessons. Sometimes she watches people smoke up in the bathroom. Sometimes, she sits on the front steps and stares out at the carcass of Morrowdale.

Today she's chosen a spot in front of Delilah Ayers. As much as Ophelia can like someone, she likes Delilah; her father, a pastor or parson or something at the local church, is one of the very few people who tried to help Ophelia. As for Delilah herself, Ophelia can sense something almost wafting off her - a strange and poisonous power that has its many eyes all fixed on Delilah. She doesn't know what it is, but she knows that Delilah doesn't deserve something like that. Probably. Hopefully. Maybe sometime, if she gets up the nerve, she can actually talk to Delilah and find out what's going on...

Out of the corner of her eye, she sees Luca, her pretty eyes and afro puffs - wait, no. She turns her head and squints. How did she ... whatever. It's Joe. He looks beat down, and people are kind of squinting at his raggy pants and bleach-stained shirt. She resolves that if she sees anyone giving him crap about it, she'll... She frowns down at her hands. She'll something, that's for sure.

It takes Ophelia a few seconds to realize that someone is talking to her. Sometimes it's hard for her to keep track of what's going on in the world, like everything is covered in a cottony fog. Her head snaps up and oh drat it's Claire, ugh, what now?

"Don't touch me!" she snaps, leaning away from the girl's touch. And then... something happens. She doesn't mean for it to happen, but Claire's nasty sneer reminds her of how things used to be, of how things still are, and something rises up inside her like a cold wind...

I'm using Unresolved Trauma to project some of the blame of my death onto Claire - 12. owned. Claire gets the blamed condition.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them. - Psalm 34:7

She hadn't expected it to come to school. Surely an angel had more pressing matters to attend than to remind His servants of their duties. Yes, she knew she had seven days left. Seven days to put down a message for all to see, a message to remind the lost of their sins. The time was coming, but as children of the LORD, they still had a chance to repent. Delilah Ayers, chosen of the LORD, clutches her crucifix for a quick prayer. <"I will carry out this task you have set before me, Emissary. No sinner shall delay me, no obstacle shall withhold me. The LORD's will be done. Amen."> She couldn't look at it, of course, not straight on - just from the corner of her eyes. She had tried, the first time it revealed itself to her. It had only been a second, but the angel's glory had been too much for her. Her eyes had been red and puffy for days.

Shirley's slightly-too-shrill voice wakes her from her thoughts. Delilah smiles softly, as she always does. "Hi, Shirley." The girl's devotion is a curious phenomenon. Did the Emissary really talk to her? Was she a knowing instrument of His will? Something made her doubt that. Still, a devout soul could come in handy before the time was right. "He's doing good. I'll tell him you asked. But if the LORD really spoke to you, then -"

But before she can say more, the girl in front of her jumps up and jerks away with a shout. Delilah watches with a frown. Her name eludes her at the moment - Olivia? Octavia? Something like that. There's something odd about her. Not the way she snapped at the other girl, that happens all the time. But her worn-out clothes, her pale, pale skin... Odd. That's really the only word that comes to mind.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mira has her arms crossed, and her gaze could bore holes to China in the back of Alicia's head. She wore the same dress Mira did to school today, a yellow racerback with floral details from Anthropologie. How could she! They planned it out last night - she was going to wear that Kanye-print top and straight-cut trousers. But Alicia broke the code and came to school in the same thing!

Mira is frustrated and annoyed, doing her best to look icy and composed, even as she's burning inside.

She's also frustrated at this classroom - it's nice to be next to Alicia, but they should be up front, where they can answer questions and have everyone looking at them. Actually, maybe it wasn't so bad today. But Mr. O'Neill's seating plan was still dumb.

When her iPhone buzzes, Mira is still looking at the back of Alicia's head, and she picks up her phone in an instant, not even looking at Bradley, eyes still on Alicia. "No." is her response, complete with punctuation and done deftly with one-hand - all the better to prove how she really, really doesn't care right now.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Mira, Bradley seemed pretty eager to get your attention and it looks like you've already left him hanging a bit. The way you responded was short, but direct and clear. It sounds like you're shutting him down.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

XP: 1 | Conditions -

Hmph. Who does this girl think she is? Oh right, she's that stuck up holy roller's friend. Doesn't her father owe his? Well, of course - everyone's family owes the Culpeppers. Whatever. If only he'd skipped today, he wouldn't have to deal with this crap first thing in the morning.

Darius puts on a disarming smile as he pulls out his wallet. "Yeah, sure. Hey, you hear about Jimmy Peterson? Said he got in a bad accident, had to go to the hospital - twelve stitches and a broken leg."

He offers Grace the 5, still smiling. "You know, come to think of it, he owes me 20 bucks..."

Shutting Claire Grace down: 2d6+1 12 She's thoroughly disarmed.

Hashtag Yoloswag fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 4, 2014

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mira keeps looking at the back of Alicia's head even as her iPhone vibrates. She raises it to her gaze again to read the message - and Bradley can see her do it - but she doesn't even bother responding.

Shut Bradley Down: 6 + 1 = 7. Mira gains the icy condition, and Bradley gains the dismissed condition.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Ophelia

Joe's head snaps up to look at you and Claire when you make your outburst. He raises an eyebrow and considers Claire. Many of the other students do the same. From somewhere in the back you hear a "tsk" before your classmates slowly fade back into their own activities.

Claire steps back with a look of shock on her face and looks around at everyone else, her eyes searching for something... validation?..., but quickly recovers, furrowing her brow in frustration and crossing her arms pointedly. "D..drat, girl, fine. I was just trying to help, but be a frumpy bitch." She blows a strand of hair from her face as she sits down and turns to her phone, resuming her typical behavior of ignoring you and texting. You can see, however, her face is still glowing red.

Mira

Alicia gives you a sidelong glance, and the slightest of smirks as you sharply dismiss Bradley the thumb of one hand. Your phone vibrates, another text. Alicia has sent a group text to you and the rest of yours.

"heard theres an assembly today. we gonna go or do something else? and why was that boy waving at you?" She's seeking your direction, but in between the lines you can feel the warm, gooey smugness that oozes in each byte. She matched your outfit on purpose and she knows you know.

Another text, this one directly to you from Claire.

"this girl a total btch. who is she neway? enver seen her before" Even for Claire, the spelling is hasty. In between the lines you can feel a desperate need for reprieve. There's guilt and doubt.

Darius

Grace blinks and swallows before hesitantly accepting the 5 dollar bill from you. "Thanks, Darius. I'll pay you back next week." As she turns away, you note that she sounds much more sincere than she did the last time.

Delilah

Shirley seems to lose track of the conversation as the girl in front of has her outburst. "Gosh," she wonders aloud, "Why is Claire always harassing people?"

Behind you, you hear that rich kid Darius Culpepper threatening your actual best friend.

100 degrees Calcium fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 4, 2014

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

XP: 1

Ophelia was never one for violent outbursts in life. Even her final blaze of indifference took a sixteen-year running start. Her sudden lash of supernatural power, however, scared even her; getting one over on one of her tormentors isn't satisfying at all. She hunches over in her seat and pulls her hoodie low over her eyes, hoping no one will notice her, or look at her. She's learned that being a ghost has its advantages, sometimes, few as they may be. She closes her eyes and concentrates on being that weird kid that nobody wants to acknowledge - it comes easy. If she's lucky, Claire won't tell Mira about what just happened. (She's never lucky.)

packetmantis fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 4, 2014

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

XP: 0+1 |

The greedy stir up conflict, but those who trust in the LORD will prosper. - Proverbs 28:25

Shirley goes ignored, for the moment. Despite the outburst in front of her, Delilah catches mostly every word of Grace's plea for help - and Darius' subsequent intimidation. Such overwhelming greed... It was his family that was a big part of the ruin that had befallen Morrowdale, and still they flaunted their money in the face of others, extorting them for their last pennies and the clothes on their backs. Of course, their just reward would come, the emissary would see to that...

But until then, it would do Darius well to be given a reminder of his evil. So she turns around in her seat, slowly, her eyes taking on that piercing glare that makes others look away from her so often. "I know your money allows you much, Darius," she whispers carefully, keeping her eyes on his the entire time, not even blinking, "but you should be cautious either way. The LORD sees your family's crimes, and He will protect those you have wronged. Judgement comes." And with a swift movement, she plants her heel forcefully on the toe of his expensive shoes.

Lash Out Physically at 2d6+2=10. Darius takes 1 harm and I gain one string on him.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

XP: 1 | Harm 1 | Conditions: -

Tears well up in Darius's eyes as he grabs his foot. "The hell's your problem!?"

He grunts as he yanks off the now-scuffed shoe and winces when he sees it: blood. She must have broken a toenail off...Jesus Christ. He smushes his shoe back on, wincing again, and excuses himself from class to go to the nurse's office.

Yeah, right. Well, it wasn't a complete lie. He heads straight to the nearest bathroom first, locking himself in a stall and rummaging in his backpack for the pamphlet Delilah gave him a month ago: same fire and brimstone bullshit as usual. "Crazy bitch," he mutters to himself. Judgement comes, alright. She's not the most popular girl in the town, but most people trust her; she is the pastor's daughter, after all.

Let's see how long that lasts. The casting doesn't take long, and Darius makes his way to the nurse's office.

Hex the holy roller: 2d6+1 9 Delilah will begin to see false prophecies, as well as some unintended side effects.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Darius, what form does the ritual take? Is there chanting? Any other special materials aside from the sympathetic token?

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Darius draws a circle in dry eraser marker on the inside of the stall door, adorned with the symbols of Sagittarius, the Sun and gold, then tapes the pamphlet in the center. He mutters an incantation before setting the pamphlet on fire with his lighter.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Darius, it's unclear if the symbolism behind burning the pamphlet is particularly important, but you have to admit, as you watch the smoke trail up, that it is somewhat satisfying.

You hear the bathroom door swing open and the clop of heavy feet against the tile. Beneath the stall, you see black boots obscured by blue pants. "Woah.. smoke?" A deep, adult voice. The man bangs on the stall door. "Hey, smoking's not allowed on school grounds, kid. Are you stupid? Come out here!"

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Darius tosses the remains of the pamphlet into the toilet behind him and opens the stall, an absolutely evil smirk on his face. "Is there a problem, officer?"

Surely he recognizes Darius; between his infamy as the richest little poo poo in Morrowdale and the scummiest little poo poo in Morrowdale, almost everyone knows about him. 20 bucks is probably all it'll take to get him to look the other way...hopefully.

Bribe the cop: 2d6 8

Hashtag Yoloswag fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 4, 2014

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Darius

The cop scratches his chin as you present yourself. "Oh hey, the Culpepper kid. What are you up to?"

The cop is for sale, but he isn't looking for the price of a movie and a large popcorn. He wants the kind of kickback that is outside of even your allowance. If you promise him that your father will put him on a significant monthly payroll, under the table of course, then he'll believe you and he'll let you go without any trouble.

Delilah

Shirley purses her lips at you as Darius hurries out. "Delilah Ayers, that wasn't very Christlike! I swear, you've gotten so hot-headed lately. Are you involved in anything bad? Drugs? Pornography?" She lowers her voice and whispers "Dungeons and Dragons?

She can't seem to stop crowing at you. "I'm very worried about you, Delilah. You should join me and the rest of the school prayer group at lunch today. I think you need a reminder of what being a follower of the Lord is all about.

"And I don't want to have to talk to your dad. I know how embarrassing that sort of thing is, but he *is* the pastor!"

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

XP: 1 | Hexed: False Prophecies

You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you: "These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me." - Matthew 15:7-8

Delilah pauses, her eyes following the rich kid as he walks - or, well, more like limps - out of class. She looks back at Grace, smiling reassuringly and touching her hand gently. "Don't let him bully you, Grace. Rich as he is, he can't buy our servitude." She wants to say more, seeing as how her friend still looks so shaken, but is interrupted by Shirley once again. Her piercing glare fades slowly, as does her smile, her expression becoming one of guarded neutrality.

Whatever doubts she might have had about Shirley's role in things to come, her reprimand erased them all. She was no servant of the LORD's Emissary, with words like that. "The LORD sees all, Shirley," she says quietly, eyes furtively glancing at the spot the angel had been in earlier, "and the Culpeppers have sinned more than anybody else. 'It is written,' he said to them, 'My house will be a house of prayer, but you are making it a den of robbers!'. Remember the story of Jesus cleansing the temple of the merchants, before you accuse me of being unlike him."

Shutting Down at 2d6-1=8. I'll swap conditions, giving her Bible-thumped.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

"Don't listen to her, Delilah," Grace reassures you, patting you on the back, "Shirley's just trying to score piety points by dissing the pastor's daughter. She's a poser!" Grace looks pointedly at Shirley, who just frowns and feigns reviewing her homework before class begins.

While Grace's intentions are good and honest, you know it'll be more complicated. When Shirley promises to pray for someone, she makes sure everyone knows about it by the end. She won't be the only one trying to "save" you.

Shirley gave Delilah the Condition Lost Soul.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

"Heh, yeah sure. Later, Officer Cole."

poo poo. poo poo. poo poo. Between the throbbing pain in his foot and his new, almost impossible to keep promise to the cop, this is turning out to be a really loving lovely day. I mean, it's not like his dad listens to him anyway. Maybe he'd have to do some more conning to get it done, but whatever.

Everything'll be alright as long as nobody knows about the curse. At least the circle on the stall door can just pass for graffiti, and the pamphlet's halfway to the Atlantic Ocean by now.

Darius finally makes his way to the nurse's office.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Ophelia has been listening to the conversation behind her with intently-pricked ears. Darius, she thinks, probably deserved to get his foot stomped on. He's kind of a dick... one time he popped a wheelie at her while she was walking down the sidewalk. Shirley's shrill voice makes her grit her teeth. If there's one thing that can pierce the veil of undeath, it's a screeching, self-righteous teenager.

And while she's no expert on bible-thumping, having attended two or three whole entire services, she's pretty sure that this particular brand smacks of the sour aftertaste of whatever has its clutches on Delilah. She turns around in her seat to the girl behind her, making sure that Grace and Shirley have fully disengaged. She's pretty sure that they don't recognize her as the shooter, but... she can never be too cautious.

"Hi," she says, after almost a full minute of just staring at Delilah. This is not the suave introduction she hoped for. "I, uh... I overheard your. Your, um, talking." Wow. Wow. "Are you... okay? I mean... things have been, uh, rough. If you want, I was thinking we might... go to church? Uh, like, together?" poo poo. Ophelia looks away, eyelids heavy, and brushes her hair out of her face with one hand. For a moment, she looks almost - alive, like a real, breathing girl, with the hint of a smile touching her lips, her clear, grey eyes glancing up at Delilah through her lashes. Just as soon as the moment was there, it's passed, and Ophelia looks none the wiser.

Although she does feel like she might start to cry.

Rolling to turn Delilah on. With a 10, Ophelia is officially the sexiest ghost in Morrowdale, and she gains a string on Delilah.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Darius

The nurse, Margret Manson, is a tall, slender woman with long brown hair in her early 30s. When you enter the office, a sterile room with a couple enclosures blocked by plain blue curtains and cabinets of bandaids and cold medicine, she beams. "Mr. Culpepper, what brings you to my office?"

When you remove your shoe and sock, she winces with genuine sympathy. "Okay, Darius, I'm sorry. I'm gonna just... yeah.." she takes a pair of tweezers. "I'm sorry," she frowns, her eyes filled with worry. She takes your foot softly, her fingers gently tickling at the heel as she gingerly reaches out with the tweezers and takes a hanging toenail from your big toe. Slowly she tugs, and the loose nail comes off with a sharp pain. She winces again and blows gently on the sore spot before applying a bandaid to the bleeding spot at the head of your toe. "It's going to be tender for a while, honey, but you'll be okay." She looks at you with askance on her face. "Are you okay? Do you need to stay here for a while?"

Darius loses 1 Harm.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

XP: 1 | Hexed: False Prophecies | Conditions: Lost Soul

Unless the LORD had given me help, I would soon have dwelt in the silence of death. - Psalm 94:17

The odd girl gives her pause. Well, she's not so odd in the moment. Just really pretty. But in a sad way, like some heroine from a tragedy, hoping for love and joy yet knowing things will end only in pain. Delilah waits a moment, dumb-struck and not entirely sure what to say. Was she blushing? No, surely it was just some leftover excitement from putting the greedy Darius in his proper place. "...I'd be happy to bring you to the service," she finally manages to say, smiling just a bit wider, "and I hope you'll find what you're looking for." What was that about? Like she knew something about this girl, but couldn't remember what. Then again, she never was the most eloquent.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

XP: 1 | Harm - | Conditions: -

"Oh, uh, n-no, I'm fine. Thanks." Darius hops off of the counter he was sitting on and immediately slams himself back against it, pain shooting up through his leg. He doesn't want to spend more time than necessary with this woman; she's always been a little too grabby. There are rumors. He's gotta go.

"I, uh, really need to get back to class. Thanks again for the help!" He starts to limp out of the office.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Delilah, does Grace go to church? If so, does she go to your church?

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

But it is you, one like myself, my companion, my close friend with whom I once enjoyed sweet fellowship at the house of God as we walked about among the worshipers. - Psalm 55:13-14

Grace does go to the United Methodist Church of Morrowdale. They used to all go together, when Tara and Cindy were still alive. That is mostly how they met. They would sit together and pray together, and afterwards go out and spend more time together. Nowadays it's just her and Grace, but the time in church has become more somber. They use it to remember their lost friends, and to take solace in the silence of eachother's company. Afterwards, Grace goes her separate ways more often than not, the hurt too fresh to continue their old ritual as it was.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Wow, Ophelia didn't know she even could still blush. And then some kind of uncontrollable contortion comes over her face - oh. That's a smile, a tiny, trembling little smile. Ophelia can't remember the last time she smiled.

"I hope so, too," she says, in a small voice. This can't end any way but badly, and still, somehow, she's glad to have tried in the first place.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Conditions: Icy

Mira responds to Alicia: "teachers are still all crazy. better go, don't want to get in trouble. idk, wanted some arm candy. maybe he'll ask you next ali." And to Claire: "just a nobody. like all of them. ignore her. we are all better than them. she doesn't even care about wearing that potato sack!!!"

Mira turns around at Ophelia and Delilah's conversation, rolling her eyes and saying "Tsk." before turning back to the front. Church was for boring people with no lives and nothing interesting to do. Like them.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 6, 2014

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

The final bell rings as Darius makes back into class. Before Ophelia turns back to the front of the class, her eyes catch Grace's. Grace's brow is furrowed slightly and her lips are tightly pursed as she looks the ghost up and down.

Most of the students don't start paying attention, exactly, but they quiet down as Mr. O'Neill leads the class through the Pledge of the Allegiance. Do each of you participate in the Pledge?

As those who do participate return to their seats, the overhead speakers crackle to life.

"Good morning, Morrowdale High," Principle Li's slow voice greets the school, "Welcome to another wonderful week of learning and growing in these, our hallowed halls of education.

"To start the week off, a very special assembly will begin in 15 minutes. All students are expected to attend. Please follow your teachers straight to the gym. Thank you."

Mr. O'Neill looks genuinely surprised, but dutifully takes his position at the classroom door. "Okay, class," he says in a soft voice, "Please line up in any order or formation that your creative, growing minds lead you too. Let's all experiment with what makes a line... a line. Let's break barriers and find our own way to get where we're going." He looks up at the speakers warily. "But let's please get there."

It would be relatively easy to skip out if you wish. Will you go to the assembly? If not, what will you do instead? If so, who will you sit with?

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Darius sits and scowls, nursing his foot while the others participate in the Pledge.

The assembly sounds important and Darius hates to be out of the loop, but who the hell wants to listen to some old woman drone on for an hour? If he can't smoke in the stalls, he'll smoke out back.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Ophelia would like to continue her chat with Delilah at the assembly. Really, she would. But then she notices Grace's furrowed brow and the uncomfortable gaze on her - not a feeling she's missed. She shrinks down into her hoodie, cheeks burning. She tried to make a friend, and what did she get? This is just like it used to be. High school is no different from last year. Why did she bother coming back?

She stands up suddenly, shoving her chair back with a loud shriek of metal on floor. But she's gone out the door too quickly for most to realize it was that weird grey girl who made such a racket. She stalks off out the door and down the hallway, making her way to the auditorium; maybe by the time the others line up and file along she'll have hidden herself beneath the bleachers.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Conditions: Icy

Mira stands with the others for the Pledge, her hand over her heart as she recites the words from memory. It's stupid - who believes in that stuff anyway? - but it is polite and right to do it, so she does.

Mira, Claire, and Alicia stand together in the line-ish-thing Mr. O'Neill makes and head with the others to the auditorium. When they get there, the three girls hook up with Jennifer and make their way down the centre isle, walking in perfect harmony, Mira at the front. It's almost eery - they are all looking straight ahead, unblinking, not a hair out of place, clothes perfectly pressed and just the right amount of blush. It's an assembly: it's important that everyone looks at them, knows them, as they come forward and sit in the front row, Mira right at the centre. Even if they are having problems today, this is not the time to show anything but perfect, beautiful unity - each girl knows that, that the eyes are on them and their delicately done hair and their perfect clothes.

Everyone's watching the rightful queen, after all. Everyone knows who holds the power.

Turn The Audience On: 4 +2 = 6. Guess Mira is a bit too unattainably perfect today. I still mark 1 XP.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

They are a nation without sense, there is no discernment in them. If only they were wise and would understand this and discern what their end will be! - Deuteronomy 32:28-29

The Pledge of Allegiance. Delilah says the words, but hardly with any conviction. Her true allegiance is to the LORD and his creatures, as was her duty. There is no nation but the nation of the LORD - a lesson some people had forgotten all too easily. But they'd learn, sooner or later. As the words are finished, Delilah joins Grace in line, to head to the assembly. Mr. O'Neill's blathering passes her by without notice, and she sits somewhere in the crowd, not standing out but with a good enough view of the stage. Time to see what the principal had to say.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

As usual in these cases, the gym echoes with the noise of chattering, curious students making their to their friends, jockying for favored positions or just giving each other grief through jibes, empty threats, and false promises. While the court that makes up the bulk of the auditorium is clean, the walls behinds the bleachers are stained with graffiti. Unreadable signatures and curses share spaces with portraits of favored players and trophies commemorating past greatness. Meanwhile, the school band plays some old crap.

Mira

You and your own make your way past the crowds, being sure to be seen in all of your perfection. Every movement is calculated to be stunningly brilliant and unapproachable. Together you're like a machine, moving in perfect time to declare your greatness. Maybe too much.

Near the front, one of the students, a freckle-faced boy with curly brown hair, stands up and addresses you. "Domo arigato, Mrs. Roboto!" he shouts. All the nearby children laugh as he does The Robot, presumably a crude imitation of your grace.

To make matters worse, the only space for you and your own is right next The Twins and The Lost Boys. Two years ago, The Lost Boys were the fashion and popularity elite of Morrowdale. But that all changed when you and your own came and took over.

The Twins lean over dramatically and wave, a wide smile on each of their faces. "Well, hello, Mouseketeers! Come to join us lowly mortals?" James asks. Jim chortles and runs his fingers through his perfectly short brown hair, frosted just so, identical of course to James' hair. "Last year the Mouseketeers ruled the roost, but if that display is any indication, The Lost Boys will soon be back on top."

James shrugs. "I guess being a carbon copy of a magazine photoshoot only takes you so far."

Jim nods in agreement. "Every fad has its day, but there's no replacement for being the original."

Ophelia

No one asked about you when you walked off ahead and took your own path. You even walked right past a cop. You make it ahead of time and scoot under the bleachers. Soon enough, the lights start to blocked out by the other children gathering into the auditorium and the noise becomes so much worse. Directly above you, you hear malicious voices speaking.

"So when we gonna pay Joe a visit, huh?"
"During lunch. That prick said he had no lunch money, but I see him eating something from the cafeteria every day. What a load of poo poo."

The Assembly

The band finishes playing some old crap and is about to begin another piece of old crap, before Principle Li mercifully interrupts them by taking the microphone. The portly asian woman begins:

"Good morning, Morrowdale High!" she exclaims, her voice wavering with reverence for the school itself, "To a new school year filled with hope, opportunity, and most of all... education! We have just a few announcements and then everyone can return to class.

Delilah

Next to you, Grace is uncharacteristically attentive to her phone, texting furiously.

The Principle continues speaking, "First of all, a reminder: Sunday night will be the night of the first dance of the year. As usual, all students are encouraged to attend. Just like last year, there will be prizes, music, and of course... the crowning of this year's School King or Queen!

"Last year's winner was Mira Eriksson. It was the first time a Freshman had won this esteemed position, granting exclusive access to the student council meetings as well as opportunities to coordinate all kinds of beneficial school and community events! Anyone could win this year! Voting will be this Friday; booths will be set up for private voting in the cafeteria and the auditorium and the winner will be crowned at the First Dance in seven days!"

You hear a familiar click, the sound of gears laboriously shifting towards a singular purpose, echoing in infinity. The time and place has been chosen.

Mira

James and Jim smirk, identical even in expression. "I believe it's your turn to hold the crown this year, Jim," James says.

"It was my turn last year, actually."

"Indeed." James looks pointedly at you, "A mistake that will not be repeated."

"Hmm but how best to campaign this year? We need an advantage."

"What we really need is money..."

Darius

Unsurprisingly, you weren't the only one who thought this might be a good time for a break. The back of the school is relatively crowded for a delinquent hiding spot, with five other students huddled and smoking. As you take out your own cigarette and lift your lighter, a hand comes out of nowhere and slaps the items out of your grasp. You look up to see a tall, pimple-faced boy... man?... boy with shaggy hair and a thick beard. One side of his face is larger than the other, and he bares his large blocky teeth at you in a grin. "Well well well," he growls, "If it isn't the Culpepper kid. Aren't we honored? I said, aren't we honored!?" The four others mutter their agreement. "Sure thing, Big D, a huuuge honor."

"My brother lost his job in of your factories last week. He was a hard working man, Culpepper, and he's been helping my Ma and me stay afloat." Big D looks down at you and cracks his oversized knuckles. "But I think I know how I can get some payback..."

Delilah

The Principle continues:
"Second, a more... somber announcement. This morning Senior student Jeffrey Allen was found dead on the trail cutting through Morrowdale Cemetery."

You hear another click, this one notably less infinite: it's the sound of Grace suddenly closing her old cell phone and turning her attention completely to the Assembly.

"The police say that was he found with a single... a single bullet hole... If anyone has any information regarding the murder of Mr. Allen, please contact the police or myself as soon as you can. There will be a memorial service for Jeremy tomorrow during the lunch hour for anyone who wishes to attend. And for any who require it, psychiatric counseling will be freely available all this week."

The Assembly

"And finally," Principle Li concludes, "It is my sincere honor to introduce to you... the Morrowdale Cheer Squad!" Despite the solemn mood just a moment ago, claps and whistles go up around the auditorium as this year's cheerleaders begin to jump, skip, and dance out from the nearby locker room, showing off the blue and white colors of the Morrowdale Marauders. The assembly will continue this way until 2nd period begins.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Ophelia stays very still and quiet beneath the bleachers, just in case. As the students shuffle around above, she almost thinks she might not exist at all; maybe she's just a dust mote floating around Morrowdale, and what she thought was her life was a freak moment of properly-arranged electrons giving her a single brief glimpse of sentience.

You have a lot of thoughts like that when you're dead.

She can sort of peek out between the bleachers and disembodied legs out at the auditorium; she can pick out Mira and the other cool kids in the front, but no one else of much interest. At least no one can stare at her. She can't recognize the legs in front of her, but the raggedy jeans and filthy boots are telling. She listens to their gruff voices and frowns. Joe? Why are they picking on him? Hasn't he had enough trouble already? She shouldn't get involved, but... well, she'll see what happens at lunch.

Li is hard to hear through the bleachers and soft roar of living voices. Ophelia doesn't care about the dance; she went last year. Never again. Although then she didn't know she would never have another chance. The news of the shooting startles her, though not as much as it should. Jeffrey was an rear end in a top hat; even though he was an outcast, he still had something to be cast out into. He lorded himself over Ophelia and she's glad he's dead. She's almost sad he skipped the day of her shooting.

...here come the cheerleaders. She cranes her head through the gap in the bleachers to get a better look, glad that there's no one to judge her this time.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Darius leans against the wall and takes out his lighter and cigarettes. "Chill, man. Not like I can help any of that poo poo."

He holds out a cigarette to Big D. "It ain't like dad'd care if you beat my rear end anyway. There's better ways to get back at him." Puff.

Manipulate an NPC: 2d6 8

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Darius, let's be honest here. Big D doesn't need your cigarette and he doesn't really want to kill you. What he wants is some measure of power in his increasingly uncertain life. Your family is the focus of that weakness.

Big D isn't a bright dude and he still sees things in a school playground sort of way. If you want to get out of here with a pummeling, you're gonna have to be his slave for a week.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

"gently caress no!" Darius drops his cigarette and takes an admittedly poor fighting stance. "You're outta your goddamn mind if you think I'm gonna let you boss me around!"

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Your noble blood does you credit, Darius. You face certain defeat... not with any measure of skill, nor strength, nor competence... but certainly with bravery. He comes at you, you try to trip him, but instead slip and fall into the dirt. You can taste it.

The four other kids get up, ready to join Big D in the massacre. You're surrounded and you silently make peace with your imminent visit to Nurse Manson.

A rock flies straight into Big D's skull. He turns to face the assailant, and takes another rock to the face. You feel the trickle of his blood on your skin and pitter-patting against your clothes. Big D is screaming and grabbing his face and he runs off, his lackies in tow.

Your helped up by your savior, a boy your own age with short black hair and just the barest hint of scruff on his face. He raises a thick, handsome eyebrow at you and smiles kindly. "You okay, man?" He looks you up and down, slowly. "Yeah, you're fine."

He offers his hand to you to shake. "My name is Roman. You might heard of me, I'm with The Lost Boys."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Wow.

"Uh, yeah, I'm fine." Darius straightens his tie and gives Roman an awkward smile. "I'm Darius, but I'm sure you already knew that."

Wow.

• Locked thread