Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I feel like this episode could've been half as long to cover what it did; like maybe show the top player doing some top player poo poo from the tournament instead of 20 minutes of characters telling us the setting instead of showing us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Should've started with Shinon's introductory battle for an episode one action scenes. Probably could have shifted some of this exposition to episode 2 (or just shortened it). Of course, they won't do that since the anime is slavishly following the novels except cutting out all the interesting game mechanics bits.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

jng2058 posted:

Eh, as a first episode for SAO vets it's fine. It covers the basics of what you need to know: New game, Death Gun, Kirito's got a job investigating, and he explicitly didn't tell Asuna about it. For those of us who've seen SAO season one it's fine.

It's a poo poo introduction for anyone who hasn't seen SAO1 though.

Yeah, it seems to be expecting everyone to already know why a generic anime teen named Kirito is so very important, or why they should give a poo poo about him at all. I suppose they though "4000 people died in Aincrad" and "but you made it explode halfway" was supposed to explain everything to new watchers.

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk

Desu Gun

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I didn't think it was possible for something to be more boring in motion than in text but here we are.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I thought the first episode was fine.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I don't think there was anything egregiously bad about it, it just didn't do anything to endear the audience in any way. Definitely made for people who are already fans of the first season.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I can simply say that was not offended by the episode. I believe it was handled well, and provided with enough back story, and information on who and what we can look forward to in the future. Obviously we have Kirito has the protagonist, but in a twist, decides to change genders in GGO. I have no problem with that. I haven't read the manga, and probably never will. Where is this going? Well, Kirito has to find out whether a person can stop a heart via an online game without any disruptions to the brain. I wonder what is to become of that, and I will stick with it next week.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's a slow start, but they have a bit of ground to cover with regards to what everybody's been up to and why "YOU DIE IN THE GAME YOU DIE IN REAL LIFE" is a thing again.

I will say for anyone considering dropping it early that as goofy as it is this was probably one of my favorite arcs of SAO.

The talk about closed networks and sensory information stuff in the park seemed familiar as referencing some stuff in later novels and Accel World, but it's been so long since I read them I don't remember any details.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
The conversation between the couples in this episode seems to be referring to the tech seen in Accel World years later and Kirito's future contribution in their real world.

edit: we posted at the same time and I should also spoiler.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm just glad this dumb show is back.

Hopefully we will get to see some action next week, because as much as I love "most awkward tea time ever" and "dorky lovebirds", SAO had some really well done action scenes that made the whole show watcheable on a non-ironic level.

Also I just want to see Klein drop by at some point, maybe just to do something stupid in virtual reality Counter Strike like trying to rocket jump.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The first episode owned because I love Death Gun and his loving bullet coming out of an ethernet port and flying around the room until it got into the guy's chest.

10/10, already excited for more of this guy.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I love it

BlitzBlast posted:

I didn't think it was possible for something to be more boring in motion than in text but here we are.

Someone clearly never peeped mahouka

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

jng2058 posted:

Eh, as a first episode for SAO vets it's fine. It covers the basics of what you need to know: New game, Death Gun, Kirito's got a job investigating, and he explicitly didn't tell Asuna about it. For those of us who've seen SAO season one it's fine.

I've seen sao1 and it was still really boring.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

So, GGO is a game that allows players to cash out their virtual currency for real money, has its headquarters and servers in the US....and no one knows who the company is?

That's even less plausible than murdering people over the internet.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Tamba posted:

So, GGO is a game that allows players to cash out their virtual currency for real money, has its headquarters and servers in the US....and no one knows who the company is?

Um, did you forget who the protagonist is?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Tamba posted:

Why? I think Super PAC's have done plenty to light the way for us there.

ninja edit: Also thank you Anime Device, I finished Nisekoi recently and I knew I saw that scene as someone's Avi before and now I know! It was bugging me at the back of my mind. :)

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Beef Waifu posted:

Yes, Kirito through some contrived series of events ended up with the incredibly rare <something>
NO SURPRISES THERE

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I still think the killing via gun in game is just a red herring and it's a two man crew. One doing the theatrics ingame and the other doing something outside of the game. The guy shoots a TV screen not the physical avatar, totally something outside of the game. Probably because they are "pro" they are easily tracked in real life and the crew figures out when the guy is going to be alone playing the game and gets a syringe of special medicine x to gently caress their heart up. Even more likely it's probably one of those red guilds from the first game that never got any resolution. We got introduced to that Laughing Skull guild and nothing ever came of it, gently caress the leader even had a name attached to him.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think at the time someone posted that killing off the PK guilds was a side arcs that didn't make it into the anime. Although it sounds pretty important since it involved Kirito and Asuna murdering people.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

YouTuber posted:

I still think the killing via gun in game is just a red herring and it's a two man crew. One doing the theatrics ingame and the other doing something outside of the game. The guy shoots a TV screen not the physical avatar, totally something outside of the game. Probably because they are "pro" they are easily tracked in real life and the crew figures out when the guy is going to be alone playing the game and gets a syringe of special medicine x to gently caress their heart up. Even more likely it's probably one of those red guilds from the first game that never got any resolution. We got introduced to that Laughing Skull guild and nothing ever came of it, gently caress the leader even had a name attached to him.

:siren: Big GGO spoiler alert :siren:You're at least right about the first part. I think it did have something to do with the PK guilds in SAO though, from memory but it's been a while since I read the novels and my memory's kinda hazy on how the GGO arc ended, so I may be wrong.

Sindai posted:

I think at the time someone posted that killing off the PK guilds was a side arcs that didn't make it into the anime. Although it sounds pretty important since it involved Kirito and Asuna murdering people.

Yep, and Kirito was really mind-broken for quite a while after that event too. Understandable, since he was literally murdering people even though the people he ended up killing were murderers themselves. From memory it was in the second novel (the one full of the short stories from Aincrad)

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

HiveCommander posted:

:siren: Big GGO spoiler alert :siren:You're at least right about the first part. I think it did have something to do with the PK guilds in SAO though, from memory but it's been a while since I read the novels and my memory's kinda hazy on how the GGO arc ended, so I may be wrong.

Yep, and Kirito was really mind-broken for quite a while after that event too. Understandable, since he was literally murdering people even though the people he ended up killing were murderers themselves. From memory it was in the second novel (the one full of the short stories from Aincrad)

You took the bait, that guy clearly just wiki'd everything and posted untagged spoilers pretending to be speculation. Try to avoid responding to that stuff I guess

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tamba posted:

I suppose it could be reasoned away as having to do with the Seed that Kayaba/Kirito released on the web. It theoretically works as a shared framework for all the VRMMO games out at this point in SAO, so it would be plausible for a small and secretive company to put out something like GGO.

If that isn't enough, you could always say that the "real money" players get paid in is bitcoins or some cryptocurrency bullshit.

Or real long shot speculation, maybe the company that makes it is the US military testing it as a training simulator.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Browsing through SAO stuff again I found out that the author also wrote something called Accel World. Skipped through that for a day and now I'm kind of sad we're getting a second season of SAO instead of AW.

Oh well, maybe if SAO does well enough they'll animate the crossover.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
edit: nvm

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

jng2058 posted:

ViggyNash posted:

Yeah, it seems to be expecting everyone to already know why a generic anime teen named Kirito is so very important, or why they should give a poo poo about him at all. I suppose they though "4000 people died in Aincrad" and "but you made it explode halfway" was supposed to explain everything to new watchers.

This is like complaining about how if I were to start reading Harry Potter by reading the second book why the gently caress is this Harry Kid so important and who are these side characters. Or if I started watching Lost in the second season.

Kirito's time in SAO really isn't really that important to the main storyline in GGO, there is an intersection but unless the anime focuses it more on Kirito it's mostly based around Sinon and her story honestly.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Dexo posted:

This is like complaining about how if I were to start reading Harry Potter by reading the second book why the gently caress is this Harry Kid so important and who are these side characters. Or if I started watching Lost in the second season.

Kirito's time in SAO really isn't really that important to the main storyline in GGO, there is an intersection but unless the anime focuses it more on Kirito it's mostly based around Sinon and her story honestly.

SAO is clearly episodic in its arcs, each one focusing on a different game, so it wouldn't have hurt to make an introductory episode that new fans could appreciate. A good sequel takes into account that not everyone has watched the original. How many times have you seen people ask "can I watch this without watching the first one?" If the answer is 'yes', then they have more viewers. Pretty simple.

And if what you say is true about this being primarily Shinon's story (which I personally agree with), then why the heck doesn't she get more than a lingering rear end shot in the first episode? I wouldn't say it's terrible, but it could have been a better intro if they rearranged scenes and such.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Browsing through SAO stuff again I found out that the author also wrote something called Accel World. Skipped through that for a day and now I'm kind of sad we're getting a second season of SAO instead of AW.

Oh well, maybe if SAO does well enough they'll animate the crossover.

AW already has an adaptation and SAO doing well has no impact on it getting a season 2 or not

Clarste posted:

And if what you say is true about this being primarily Shinon's story (which I personally agree with), then why the heck doesn't she get more than a lingering rear end shot in the first episode? I wouldn't say it's terrible, but it could have been a better intro if they rearranged scenes and such.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Clarste posted:

SAO is clearly episodic in its arcs, each one focusing on a different game, so it wouldn't have hurt to make an introductory episode that new fans could appreciate. A good sequel takes into account that not everyone has watched the original. How many times have you seen people ask "can I watch this without watching the first one?" If the answer is 'yes', then they have more viewers. Pretty simple.

While I get that some people are lazy and impatient, and will just try and watch something from a midpoint and expect to be able to keep up, do you honestly think that studios should HAVE to account for this? I cant think of any TV shows that spend an entire episode recap at the start of a season. You say it wouldn't have hurt, well it would mean one less episode of the main story line wasted on a recap episode which would cost money to produce, and on a budget which is generally already stretched tight that's just not sensible. In my opinion if people want to watch the show, they should start from season one anyway. Its pretty good, and its certainly worth spending 10 hours of your time on over the course of a few weeks. If people are that desperate to start from the halfway point then they can read a summery off the internet, it would probably do a better job of explaining things anyway.

FiftySeven fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jul 7, 2014

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tamba posted:

It just sounds like EVE online but ran by the CIA or something. :v:

jng2058 posted:

gently caress off, in an age where almost all television ever made is available on demand over the internet for cash (or free if you're so inclined) more recapping in TV should not be encouraged, it's time wasted. The season is titled "Sword Art Online 2" which makes it clear to any new viewers that there's an original Sword Art Online to watch to catch up.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

They already made a review episode. They called it a movie and added gratuitous fan service to get the people who already watched it to buy in to it.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Beef Waifu posted:

his loving bullet coming out of an ethernet port and flying around the room until it got into the guy's chest.

Is this really a thing that happened? How would they even begin to explain how it works?

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Schubalts posted:

Is this really a thing that happened? How would they even begin to explain how it works?

It was just Kirito fantasizing about how the guy died in real life. It didn't happen.

But really, whatever the explanation for Death Gun is, pretty sure it can't beat that.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'll bet you good money people'd Bitch about it regardless of how it's done.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Re: Death Gun/Imaginary ethernet bullet: I think the point is that guns are really really scary to this author, so just invoking them is supposed to send shivers up your spine. That's how I interpreted it anyway.

Re: Better introduction: Where in the world did people get the idea that a better introduction would have been a recap episode? That would have been a loving terrible introduction. What I was talking about was the exact opposite: get into the meat of the game quicker before stopping for exposition later. Frankly I think we spent too much time sorta recapping in the first episode, because ultimately the only thing that matters is that Kirito learned how to be a Jedi by playing SAO.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Clarste posted:

Re: Death Gun/Imaginary ethernet bullet: I think the point is that guns are really really scary to this author, so just invoking them is supposed to send shivers up your spine. That's how I interpreted it anyway.
That actually makes sense. Japanese attitudes towards guns are pretty strange in some ways.

Which also brings up the topic of Kirito's super gun skills*. I have been told that one of the official justifications for keeping Kendo as one of the main Martial Arts for the Japanese police was that the quick reaction skills that are trained there are totally useful in gunfights.

*I haven't read the books, but of course he will be super talented.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

tonberrytoby posted:

That actually makes sense. Japanese attitudes towards guns are pretty strange in some ways.

Which also brings up the topic of Kirito's super gun skills*. I have been told that one of the official justifications for keeping Kendo as one of the main Martial Arts for the Japanese police was that the quick reaction skills that are trained there are totally useful in gunfights.

His gunskills are actually pretty average. but he is like Yoda or some poo poo with a lightsaber.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I'm starting to understand how all the show only viewers in the Attack on Titan thread felt.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

tonberrytoby posted:

I think it's probably more fair to say that American attitudes towards guns are weird. Guns should be terrifying. That's the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

tonberrytoby posted:

Japanese gun attitudes do make some degree of sense, they just have a different starting point when it comes to viewing weapons in general which is why the FPS genre is so different between Japan and North America.

In Japan, gun's and other weapons are meant to be extensions of the self and representational of inner perfection. The gun or weapon isn't actually important in of itself but only as the extension of the person holding it. In the West and America in particular the weapon itself is what is seen as empowering, the person is nothing without the gun.

You see this pretty clearly I think when you contrast any Call of Duty/Battlefield game with say, Metal Gear Solid.

• Locked thread