Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vercingetorix42
Feb 19, 2011

Neruz posted:

With Hoji's motives revealed I think I can now safely say that there were no good guys in this story and that the Shadow Realm is a seriously screwed up place.

Indeed. It reminds me of that quote from Battlestar Galactica "It's not enough to survive. One must be worthy of survival.". If the Shadow Realm requires someone to be forever weeping just to water the plants then perhaps the realm isn't worthy.

Then there's the lines "You should have stayed by my side." "You made me believe I could be something else..." that underscore the depth of the betrayal. Hoji doesn't like himself despite his antics, and Ameonna allowed him to believe for a brief time that he could be better, happier, worthy of affection.

Losing her, being shown that she abandoned him without protest, knowing there was no hope...well, suicide is awfully hard when you're immortal. And I believe that's what Hoji's goal ultimately was. A whisperer can take away memories, but to not be ruled by pain means death. Screw up what Enra destroyed Hoshi's happiness to protect and die in the process...a twofer.

Christ this is depressing. Could Lo Wang read one of those fortune cookies right about now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Turtlicious posted:

Except the highest mountain took like 200+ years to almost fall apart. It's vastly over stated how her not crying effects the realm.

e: I almost forgot, Wang also puts Hoji's interest over his own, which is really the sign that he's accepted Hoji as his master.

They're Immortals though, 200+ years seems like a long time to us but they can expect to live forever unless someone stabs em with the Nobitsura Kage, when you have literally infinity years ahead of you 200 years isn't very much at all.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Neruz posted:

No, what is really hosed up is that the Shadow Realm relies on Ammeona's sadness to survive. If Ammeona ever stops being sad and crying the entire goddamn realm goes to poo poo. That is hosed up.

雨女 literally means "rain woman". is one of the artworks of Toriyama Sekien, an 18th century Japanese artist who produced four volumes of "yōkai", or monsters of Japanese folklore, which have been a profound influence on modern depictions of said folklore and what they look like.

This might have in turn been a reference to a section of The Kojiki, the oldest chronicle of Japanese myths in existence, written in the 8th century, containing all the creation myths believed at the time, and is one of the two main books to inspire modern Shinto. In particular, Volume 1, Section 7 talks about the Crying-Weeping-Female Deity, Naki-saha-me-no-kami.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Another way you could look at it is that Hoji is all about breaking tradition - for who knows how many aeons the Shadow Realm is okay except for Ammeonna, who weeps. Then Hoji, true to his tinkerer nature, starts to experiment, leaves a toy at the top of the mountain and everything goes to Hell - and suddenly no one knows how to react and they all flip out.
It's already been alluded to with the Loki and Odin comment, but the whole story has the trappings of a myth, including the symbolic interpretations; hell, it wouldn't be too far to read this as an ancient warning intended to steer away from thoughtless progress and people stepping above their station in the gods-given rule.

Turtlicious posted:

e: I almost forgot, Wang also puts Hoji's interest over his own, which is really the sign that he's accepted Hoji as his master.
I don't think that is the case; Wang still has issues with Hoji - even in the very last video he avoids the question of whether he trusts him. What matters to him now is his promises; both to Hoji to see this through and to Xing to put his body out of misery. It's kind of funny how Lo Wang, with all the samurai fanboyism (remember the statues at the Wangcave?) takes the whole game to develop something resembling a code of honor; that he does it in order to help someone who's essentially the antithesis of everything honor stands for makes it even more interesting.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Wang might be an rear end in a top hat, but he's not a liar.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Didn't Wang promise to give Zilla the sword?

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Well, technically, he did.

Pointy end first.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

Didn't Wang promise to give Zilla the sword?

That was back when he used to be an rear end in a top hat.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Thank you for doing this LP, I had no idea that a shadow warrior 2013 existed.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's the idea! It's an amazing game that slipped completely under most people's radars. By the way, the LP isn't dead, bonus videos will still be coming, I just have no idea when.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Nov 21, 2014

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

anilEhilated posted:

That's the idea! It's an amazing game that slipped completely under most people's radars. By the way, the LP isn't dead, bonus videos will still be coming, I just have no idea when.
Looking forward to the bonus videos! Will there be a janitorial tie-in video?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yes, although I'm not sure how to cover it. I played that thing for about ten minutes and can't see where it's supposed to start being fun, so don't expect much.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

anilEhilated posted:

Yes, although I'm not sure how to cover it. I played that thing for about ten minutes and can't see where it's supposed to start being fun, so don't expect much.

It's just an amusing premise that they ran with. It's not actually supposed to be playable. Other than a few funny comments there isn't much there.

Tibby
Mar 24, 2004

happy bamboo cup
This game is on the current steam sale for a ridiculously low price. I know I'm getting it, are you?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Seriously. I hate to sound like a FWH advertiser, but it's 90% off. That's some cheap Wang.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 27, 2014

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Seriously. I hate to sound like a FWH advertiser, but it's 90% off. That's some cheap Wang.

No need to tell me! I got some Wang for the PS4 this week!

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Finally got this. Just beheaded seven demons at once with Circle of Iron. loving fantastic.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Late to the party here, but the ending where she is holding Hoji's body and it starts raining is unexpectedly powerful. You survey the market and there is nothing with that much impact around.

Edit: Wait, I just noticed that Wang looks different in the prologue and end credits. I presume that is intentional?

Edit 2: Oh, I forgot he shaved his head in the wangcave - but the beard has gone too.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Nov 28, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I swear this isn't a bump. Look, folks, I know I promised bonus content and it's been two months. Sorry, real life poo poo happened, I'm attempting to get a degree earlier than I had anticipated I'd have to, et cetera, et cetera. I still have this stuff planned out and I very much intend to make it, just... not now. This isn't a bump or attention-whoring or whatnot; just trying to keep the couple folks interested in the thing in the picture. The thread's free to fall by now: I expect I'll be back with the rest of the stuff I wanted to do by February, but nothing's going to happen before that. Sorry, hopefully not intruding by taking too much space, etc. Message done.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I started the game a few days ago, and just finished it today, otherwise I would have watched the thread live. I watched the videos in part to help find secrets I had missed (which didn't help as on the poison-dome level, I wasn't quite paying attention and missed the retro one at the start. Fortunately, you can still backtrack to that part even at the end of the level.)

While watching, I had an odd mix of reactions: "okay this guy must be good at the game because he's beaten it several times and at a higher difficulty than me" combined with "and yet my completely blind first-time playthrough seems to be more effective in some cases".

I guess it's really just that the game is very good at letting you choose your playstyle. I prefer gunplay to sword or power-usage, and I abused the dash maneuvers to avoid enemies while I prepare for my next attack.

anilEhilated kept complaining that he had nothing good to deal with flying enemies, but I found that the Revolver was excellent at it as long as you aim and fire a single shot - on normal difficulty, doing the rapid fire RMB trigger fanning versus the flyers is a terrible idea because they die in one shot from it, all hammer fanning does is waste ammo. Of course, I didn't actually get the pistol secondary fire until the bridge to the final confrontation with Zilla, but still it seems like that would be a lot easier than Divider of Heavensing them or Flamethrowering them.

I also didn't really get his love for the crossbow, especially against the shield enemies. The crossbow just never clicked for me as a good weapon. You face hordes of fast-moving enemies, and the crossbow is a slow-charging, slow-firing projectile which affects a single enemy, maybe. It never seemed that effective even in his playthrough. Sticky bombs are great, of course.

He also insisted on killing all berserkers in the exact same charged backstab maneuver, which honestly got repetitive and boring to watch. He did manage to kill some of them in 30 seconds, which is faster than I ever managed, so it might technically be better... It just would have been more exciting to watch if he occasionally tried different things than the exact same leaping charged Divider of Heavens every single time. I found that flash-stepping around them constantly and shooting them in the back worked pretty well. Sometimes they even stood up to expose their fat weak spot, perfect for dual uzi's or a quad shotgun blast. I did pick up the stamina increase and stamina regeneration perks early, and later on, in the last two levels, maxed out the stamina increase perks.

Even though I didn't get the Rich Man perks until like level 8 or 9, I was able to afford all three upgrades for the rocket launcher, revolver, uzi, and shotgun, and got two for the crossbow. I only got the alternate fire for the flamethrower. Never bought ammo once, never had ammo problems.

After playing with the fully-upgraded shotgun, I have to say that using the completely un-upgraded one seems like a complete waste - to the point that if you're not going to upgrade the shotgun, you may as well not ever use it. Four-barrels of death is just so much more effective and versatile than two single shots that you need to reload one shell at a time. This LP taught me about the shockwave to knock down shield enemies, and doing that, followed by unleashing the alt-fire into their prone bodies is usually a one-shot kill.

I never really got the hang of using the laser to guide rockets, I rarely had the time to stand still long enough to do that.

I liked using Warlord heads to kill Shamans, they die really fast to it, and it's probably an even better use than to kill Warlords, since Warlords are weaker and easier to kill. I think in the final battle, I alternated between killing warlords and shamans. I don't remember when I killed the Berserker there.

(I also had no problems with the "Death Boat" because I didn't try to do a silly thing like Divider of Heavens it from too far away. :v: )

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

A big part of anilEhilated's playstyle most likely stems from having cleared the higher difficulties and that it cannot be understated the health and damage differences enemies get between Normal mode and the difficulties above it. Even just playing through Hard mode my first time with the game and then watching the LP, I could immediately pick out the differences in difficulty in specific places compared to others. There are certain rooms and fights that are much more dangerous when the enemies do more damage, as they are far more likely to burst you down, or in extended fights like the last room.

As for handling berserkers, I'm of the personal opinion that while it is more boring to just Heaven's divider they, they are an incredible ammo sink on harder difficulties as well as it being kind of difficult to get feedback on whether you're actually hitting them or not so it's just easier to sword them to death and be done with it. Even if you kind of miss, asanilEhilated mentioned Heaven's divider has a bit of a punchthrough fully charged up so you'll still hit regardless.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

SaffronKit posted:

A big part of anilEhilated's playstyle most likely stems from having cleared the higher difficulties and that it cannot be understated the health and damage differences enemies get between Normal mode and the difficulties above it. Even just playing through Hard mode my first time with the game and then watching the LP, I could immediately pick out the differences in difficulty in specific places compared to others. There are certain rooms and fights that are much more dangerous when the enemies do more damage, as they are far more likely to burst you down, or in extended fights like the last room.

Yeah, it definitely seemed at times like he was playing the game as if he had the difficulty set high, instead of on normal.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I understand the weapon complaints but in my defense, I was actually going out of my way to switch them up. Were I not playing for the camera, you wouldn't for example see the shotgun at all; again, it's one of those higher-difficulty things but it doesn't really do anything the katana doesn't do better.

I do think your post speaks a lot for how variable the playstyles here are. You can pick the guns you like and stick with them to operate if not at peak efficiency, then definitely at one that allows you to beat the game at most of the difficulties - really, the only difference between the setup I showed here and a run on Insane would be not upgrading the flamethrower and a lot more katana usage whenever possible.

The revolver against fliers has one issue - it's slow. Again, it's a higher difficulty thing I didn't adapt too well to, but they become one of the most dangerous enemies there and it's generally safer to just fire into the cloud and focus on dodging than surgically remove them one by one. For the LP performance, I blame the fact I was doing my practice runs on Hard - going by the logic that if I don't gently caress up there, the game should be more lenient when I actually record. Baby LPer mistake I suppose.

LP's still not dead, by the way, I'm fully expecting to do all the remaining stuff in February.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Just got caught up on this, it's been a great LP of a game I never would have played otherwise. Hell of a job for your first LP, man.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Seconded. I just marathoned this over the past week or so.

Shadow Warrior was an incredibly pleasant surprise. I streamed it just on a whim to try it out, and by the first fight of the game I was giggling with ridiculous glee.

A lot of your comments were right on the money - the level design sometimes feels a bit ambiguous and I found myself getting lost a bunch. And that fight with the Berserkers and the breakable walls was a complete nightmare.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed the LP and I'm looking forward to your next, sir!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, folks, here's an apology. I had already recorded two videos, one for the cleanup minigame, one level from the original SW. Sadly, my computer kinda exploded and doesn't respond to anything; I'm fairly sure the hard-drive is blown. Basically, I lost all the videos on my side and given the bonus nature of those two, I don't really feel like redoing them.
I don't know if anyone was still waiting for that - but as the LP is complete and those two videos I lost were basically me bitching about how terrible the janitor "game" is and a record of something that's already been LP'd, I'm of a mind to call this done and ask for archival.
So yeah, this is basically the last chance to tell me how terrible an attitude this is and/or (which is what I'm mostly asking for) suggesting some kind of a blurb/picture combination to throw in baldurk's general direction. I don't think I'll be able to record anything in the near future and hate to leave this hanging open, so there it is.

edit: Otherwise I'll have to come up with one and that's bound to be terrible.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 7, 2015

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Just hold the door open for another few minutes, yeah? That thing I said I was gonna do and was coming sooner probably? Fretting over doing voice-over, computer died, laziness, headset died, in that order. So I'm gonna just open the game, get some nice pictures of the alternate skins, and then put them up here.

EDIT: A) Action shots are hard, guys. B) I think it didn't take a picture half of the times I hit the button, which only makes action shots harder. But I've got a few, so.

Zilla Z45 Laser Katana

Hmm... it kinda looks like Raiden's High Frequency Blade, but smaller. And with more lasers. That light is an actual light source too, it causes lens flare on the camera. And, it makes lightsaber-ish noises when you swing it around. It was a pre-order bonus, so you can no longer get it.

Trolls are always surprised when you take out their shield arm.

Hotline Miami Katana

This pixellated sword hails from Hotline Miami, a game about running around real fast and killing everything that gets in your way. So, not that different from Shadow Warrior. It's part of the special edition pack.

Okay, so that one doesn't even have the sword in it, but it does have a man's arm erupting into blood, so I kept it.

Yeah, this looks like the aftermath of a Hotline Miami level.

Serious Sam Sledgehammer

Devs paying their dues to Devolver Digital's big-name properties here. The Sledgehammer is from Serious Sam, and it is a sledgehammer. It is also part of the special edition pack. Despite being a blunt weapon, it is still just a skin for the Katana, so it cuts things like normal.

Ah, there's the one good action shot! I was worried I wouldn't get one. After this, I had a nice overhead charged swing lined up, but of course I flubbed the picture of the swing anyways. Instead I got

Oh hell.

Get it off get it off.

Go away go away go away.

Saint's Row Penetrator (Possibly mild :nws:)
http://lpix.org/1934707/2015-02-07_00020.jpg

It's, uh... yeah...
It makes... rubbery noises.
You get it for owning Saint's Row the Third, as well as this game.

http://lpix.org/1934716/2015-02-07_00021.jpg

No Lo Wang what are you doing

Actually, I think this image would make a good avant-garde desktop wallpaper.

And that's it. Sorry I neither had these up in a timely fashion, nor showed them in proper action with a video, but they're here at least.

Oblivion4568238 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 7, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Thank you! I put them in the second post. Check it out, see if you want me to edit anything/present it in a different fashion. I'll leave the thread hanging for a bit, then it's off to archival. Anyone has any ideas for a pic/blurb combination, the search for those still goes on.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
That all looks fine to me.

Possible blurb (I don't know how long they can be):
Mix excellent swordplay and a surprisingly well told story of revenge and loss in... Shadow Warrior, of all things? What the hell?

As for picture, I'd say either facing down a Warlord, or a good shot of Hoji. Perhaps peruse these for consideration / editing? (I also don't know the limits on blurb images)

(I really liked this one, but then I realized the crosshair was in the way, so I went back and got more pictures with the HUD off. Wish I had thought to do that for the alternate katana skin pics!)

This one has nothing to do with the rest of it, but it was just too perfect not to get a picture of.

Also, I just found out by actually reading the news thing on the game's library page that Flying Wild Hog put out a new game back in December. It's... a ridiculously happy and colorful co-op platformer. Not exactly what I was expecting after their previous games...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
This was a good LP.

• Locked thread